Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 04-30-2012, 07:15 PM
Petlover

Mein Auto: BMW 530i
SMG Transmission

It is easy to learn : SMG
I plan to sell my 03 530i and get a M3 with SMG, but don't know how the SMG works. Is it the same like automatic or mixed with Auto Shift and Manual.
Does it have a video to show you how to drive the SMG transmission.

Please advice

P.
Ads by Google
Old 05-01-2012, 09:42 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
It is more like driving a manual than an automatic.

You can put it in auto mode, but it is like riding with someone else driving, as it shifts when it wants to do so.

But not hard to drive.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 05-01-2012, 09:52 AM
Instructor of the Stig™

Mein Auto: Hover Car on Wheels
Think of the SMG as a manual without the clutch. In my old one I rarely would use the "auto" mode, as stated it's not as smooth or predictable as an automatic transmission so it feels a little like someone else is shifting gears while you drive.

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
800.924.5172 | OEM BMW Part Number Search
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
Old 05-01-2012, 05:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 328i Sedan
It's manual but the clutch is automatic. Auto mode sucks. It revs too high and you have to predict what it's going to do.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 M3
Basically what everyone else has already said....

If you drive it in the same manner that you would drive any other manual transmission car then you'll be fine, while being able to keep your left foot planted on the dead pedal! It's really quite easy to master it, so to speak. You'll be sloppy with it at first, but you'll figure it out. And once you do, it is sooo much fun to drive!
Old 05-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M3 , Mustang , Jeep &More
drive it like you would a manual you will be ok
Old 05-03-2012, 06:06 AM
M Mad

I would say it is easy to learn how to drive. Not so easy to MASTER.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Old 05-03-2012, 09:06 AM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Tastyca
Mein Auto: TastycaIM
responses very

you are best!
Old 05-08-2012, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto: '05 M3--'11 X5 50i
if you like to enjoy a cup of caffeine without compromising the spirited driving experience, SMG is the choice...GL
'08 535i-"never more HPFPs"-sold
'05 ///M3 'vert - my Valium
'11 X5 50i:blck/blck-all the goods, except the M package
Old 05-09-2012, 06:26 AM
M Mad

Actually it is difficult to drive SMG with one hand, unless you use the lever. YOu keep having to switch the cup to upshift then downshift.

But where SMG really shows off is on the track. Simply amazing how much time, effort, and thought it takes to proeprly downshift. And even more amzing is the number of people who don't know how to downshift.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Old 05-09-2012, 07:39 AM

Mein Auto: '05 M3--'11 X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Actually it is difficult to drive SMG with one hand, unless you use the lever. YOu keep having to switch the cup to upshift then downshift.

But where SMG really shows off is on the track. Simply amazing how much time, effort, and thought it takes to proeprly downshift. And even more amzing is the number of people who don't know how to downshift.
Or take the spirited driving down a notch- use the "automated" gear with sport mode activated. Now, you can drink, text, and drive
'08 535i-"never more HPFPs"-sold
'05 ///M3 'vert - my Valium
'11 X5 50i:blck/blck-all the goods, except the M package
Old 05-09-2012, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: 05 BMW M3 E46 Conv.
I have the SMG2 and it works wonders. You have two modes. one with Manual Shift and the other Auto Shift. When you start the car in Neutral (Will not start if it is in drive), you shift the stick by tapping into the right position which gives you the Manual Shift mode in 1st gear - In this mode, you have to control the shift of the gears with the paddle shifters (left shift for down shift or right shift for up shift in manual shift mode behind the steering wheel or the shift knob (tap up for down shift or down for up shift). Tap into the right position again and you go to the auto manual mode. In the auto shift mode, you will see that in the display box located on the bottom side of the tacymeter with the letter D. Both manual and auto shift will indicate 1 or 2 depending on which gears you start but manual shift mode will not display the letter D as the auto shift will.

On the bottom of the knob shift, you will see a bar button. it is the button with bars going upwards to the right. This controls how fast you want the shifts to be. This can be set both for manual and auto mode. The higher the bar, the faster and harsher the shift.

In the auto shift, it is like what everyone else has said. You can somewhat control the shift depending on how hard you push the throttle. Mine usually shifts at 3.500 ~ 4,000RPM. The harder you push on the gas, the shift will commence at a higher RPM level.

SMG2 also has a launch control mechanism. A bit more complicated. To do this, you will need to be in the manual shift mode. you have to switch the DSG button once. you will see that this turns off all tracktion control and a triangle light will appear on the tachymeter. Once this is done, you simply hold the knob shift position in the - mode or down shift mode. You have to hold it in this position. Than while doing so, you gently press the gas. You will notice the RPM revs to 1,800 RPM ~ 1,900 RPM. Than to launch, you simply let go of the - or down shift and the car launches with the rear wheel spinning like mad.

That's all for now. Good luck!
Old 05-10-2012, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: 335i Coupe
i got an 04 SMG, it is awesome i can tell you, once you get used to it which take about few weeks for driving. get a feel out of it, reset the SMG too once u get it, so it will learn how you drive and shift.
It shifts faster than a M/T. Less chance to mess up too, it is very fun to drive, so don't let anyone tell you it's not as good as M/T ones because they don't own an SMG.
I say go for it
Old 05-15-2012, 08:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 M3 Convertible
Wait... how do you reset the SMG so it learns your driving??
Old 05-15-2012, 12:18 PM

The smg adapts to how you drive and shift. So you have to reset it when you get it.to do so drive up to 40mph and shift into N then pull both if the paddle shifters back and let the gas go. So the car is crusing for around 15 sec then shift back to drive and carry on.
You won't feel anything however but the car should feels better when shifting and that's hoe you do it.its in the owners Manuel ad well
Old 05-15-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boglow View Post
The smg adapts to how you drive and shift. So you have to reset it when you get it.to do so drive up to 40mph and shift into N then pull both if the paddle shifters back and let the gas go. So the car is crusing for around 15 sec then shift back to drive and carry on.
You won't feel anything however but the car should feels better when shifting and that's hoe you do it.its in the owners Manuel ad well
wow, ok thanks!!
Yeah,,,, about that manual.. I can't understand it.
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil. 4:13
Old 05-15-2012, 12:30 PM

Lot of times when it's shifting funny or feeling jerky. It just needs a reset. So it's like erase date from a computer and reload with new ones. So it will restart fresh
Very easy task and make you enjoy the car more
Old 05-15-2012, 12:59 PM

Smg

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46RedHead View Post
wow, ok thanks!!
Yeah,,,, about that manual.. I can't understand it.
i thought you have a SMG
Old 05-16-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boglow View Post
i thought you have a SMG
I do, but that doesnt mean I know how to understand it or the text that explains it. I have only had it for 3 weeks. It is all new for me.
I did reset it last night and hopefully things will improve. When I start in first i sometimes (look dumb because i can't figure out what I am doing wrong) but I somehow make the car buck ... almost like I push the gas and ill maybe hit a bump and my foot moves away from the gas and when I go to push it again it starts to buck ... does that make sense? The dealer I bought it from said it was probably traction control because it only happens when I leave a parking lot with a curb or if I am at a redlight and the road has a bump in it... I live in Louisiana so its expected to have lame roads
Old 05-16-2012, 07:50 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
I do, but that doesnt mean I know how to understand it or the text that explains it. I have only had it for 3 weeks. It is all new for me.
I did reset it last night and hopefully things will improve. When I start in first i sometimes (look dumb because i can't figure out what I am doing wrong) but I somehow make the car buck ... almost like I push the gas and ill maybe hit a bump and my foot moves away from the gas and when I go to push it again it starts to buck ... does that make sense? The dealer I bought it from said it was probably traction control because it only happens when I leave a parking lot with a curb or if I am at a redlight and the road has a bump in it... I live in Louisiana so its expected to have lame roads
Ah i see, haha sorry. You should feel a little different/better on the gear shiftings, if not do it again to see.
As for the bucking, it happens. With SMG tranny that happens especially when you new to it. I first got my car is the same way, I look crazy on the road, lol.
I figured out thou, it's how you feed the gas when you first take off, it's gotta be a firm preasure on the gas peddle, if you light foot it, then it's more likely to buck on you. and yes it only happens 1st to 2nd gear, sometimes 2nd gear to 3rd at a very low speed (10-15mph) Road bumps can cause it too cause your foot will be jerky on the gas peddle.
So, try to give it a firm preasure, and shift around 3-4RPM, it should help, you will get a hang of it, first month i had my car, it happens all the time, now it rarely happens.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:15 AM

Thanks for the help!! I think I may reset it again because I was resetting it out of memory and I dont think I did it for 15 seconds or anywhere near that, or let my foot off the gas.. Who knew driving a car could be so much more complicated than a true manual.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the help!! I think I may reset it again because I was resetting it out of memory and I dont think I did it for 15 seconds or anywhere near that, or let my foot off the gas.. Who knew driving a car could be so much more complicated than a true manual.
no problem. Yah you have to drive up to 40. Shift to N, let gas go. Pull back both peddles same time, and count to 15. Don't rush it.
Then shift back and hit gas again.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:44 PM
M Mad

The bucking is common to new SMG drivers. You start to accelerate and something causes you to accelerate too much and you let off the gas too much (or the other way around) and then you decell too fast and push on the gas. But your reaction time causes you to be out of phase with the actions of the car, making things worse.

The answer is to either let off more or push harder on the gas, to get out of the feedback loop. In flying the issue is called PIO. It used to mean Pilot Induced Oscillation, but has been changed to Pilot In the loop Oscillation.

Driving in Sport mod can make things worse, as sport mode remaps the pedal to throttle opening, so that the throttles open faster and small pedal movement.

BTW that is ALL the Sport mode does. It does not change HP, it just opens the the throttles faster for small pedal openings. Full throttle is the same.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Old 05-17-2012, 06:41 AM

This is very good to know that its not just me. So far, after resetting SMG, I have enjoyed the car much more. I was beginning to get frustrated thinking my husband bought me a car I couldn't even figure out how to drive. But thankfully it just needed a little clarification on who the driver was
Now this morning when I was at a redlight and put the car in neutral because I was expecting to lift my foot to hit a clutch pedal to engage first.. now that will just take time to remember Haha. Its sad though, I need to learn to drive like a racecar driver My husband was in his sisters mustang and I was in the m3 and he beat me at launch but of course I beat him with speed... I guess it goes to show that unless you know how to drive your car... you can always get beat by a car that should not have.
Someone teach me to drive!!!!!
Old 05-17-2012, 10:13 AM
M Mad

If you were local, I would offer to have you come to a Friday at the Track Event at Summit Point, and I would work on teaching you how to drive.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3