Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-01-2012, 06:15 PM
francisyang francisyang is offline
Registered User
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 13
Mein Auto: E60 530I and Z33 350Z
grocery store in Munich and which grade gas to use

Hi Guys,
I have two questions here:
1. I want to buy some snacks, drinks, and other stuff before heading to Austria. What is the chain store that I should be looking for in Munich ?
2. What is the gas type (91 in CA) that I should use in Germany, Austria, Czech republic, Neverland, and Belgium ?

Thanks
Francis
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 05-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Challenge64 Challenge64 is offline
Car Lover's Guidebooks
Location: Arizona
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 131
Mein Auto: BMW X5 4.4
I love questions like this! Funny enough I never added this into my travel book.

OK. I love snacks and have had many opportunities to pack lunches and go.


- Grocery Stores. ALDI is everywhere. Not at all pretty, but you'll spot a lot of them. Get butter, plastic ware, and other long term consumables here.

- Bakeries. Müller is everywhere too. Before you you go to a grocery store, hit a bakery first. You might find more snacking stuff here than at a grocery store.

- Drinks. Gas stations are fine. Usually large selections and it is all cold. Cold = key. Grocery stores won't often chill drinks.

One of my staples is getting a baguette, butter, and ham for a simple "to go" sandwich. Very tasty, filling, and easy. Just be sure NOT to eat that in your car - crumbs will be everywhere.
__________________
Ron Adams
Travel author, photographer, editor , and so on...



Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-01-2012, 08:04 PM
JSpira's Avatar
JSpira JSpira is offline
Freude am Fahren
Location: New York, München, Wien
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 19,572
Mein Auto: Fünfer und Dreier
Quote:
Originally Posted by francisyang View Post
1. I want to buy some snacks, drinks, and other stuff before heading to Austria. What is the chain store that I should be looking for in Munich ?
One thing to keep in mind is that the Austrian and German Autobahnen have excellent Raststationen where you can enjoy a nice meal or snack.

Rosenberger is a small chain of Autobahnrestaurants known for good quality of food and baked goods.

Landzeit is another and has a location near Mondsee with beautiful views of the Mondsee.

You can also pick up snacks at the convenience stores at the Raststationen along the way.

You can get some sandwiches and beverages at the Welt using your food credit if you don't go to the International restaurant there (which is quite good and run by Do & Co by the way).
__________________
Freude am Fahren.
-Jonathan





F10 2014 535d M Sport Mondstein Metallic
F10 2012 ActiveHybrid 5 Azuritschwarz Metallic
MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-01-2012, 08:19 PM
sno_duc's Avatar
sno_duc sno_duc is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Soldotna,Alaska
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 600
Mein Auto: '12 328xi, '11 135i
Quote:
Rosenberger is a small chain of Autobahnrestaurants known for good quality of food and baked goods
+1
One tip, many of the Raststationen that we have stopped at charge €0.50 to use the restrooms, however if you buy anything, you get a token worth €0.50. So buy your munchies first.

Last edited by sno_duc; 05-01-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-01-2012, 08:23 PM
JSpira's Avatar
JSpira JSpira is offline
Freude am Fahren
Location: New York, München, Wien
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 19,572
Mein Auto: Fünfer und Dreier
Quote:
Originally Posted by sno_duc View Post
+1
One tip, many of the Raststationen that we have stopped at charge €0.50 to use the restrooms, however if you buy anything, you get a token worth €0.50. So buy your munchies first.
And in some Raststationen you pay and get a paper coupon worth €0,50 so there it pays to buy your goodies afterwards.
__________________
Freude am Fahren.
-Jonathan





F10 2014 535d M Sport Mondstein Metallic
F10 2012 ActiveHybrid 5 Azuritschwarz Metallic
MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-01-2012, 08:56 PM
HerrK's Avatar
HerrK HerrK is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 596
Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by francisyang View Post
Hi Guys,
I have two questions here:
1. I want to buy some snacks, drinks, and other stuff before heading to Austria. What is the chain store that I should be looking for in Munich ?
2. What is the gas type (91 in CA) that I should use in Germany, Austria, Czech republic, Neverland, and Belgium ?

Thanks
Francis
98 RON (Super Premium) is the preferred/equivalent to US premium requirement for BMW gas engines. The 95 RON (Premium) won't kill your car. If you really want to give your engine a treat fill up with the tank with 100 RON. You can't miss the numbers they are displayed on all the pumps - numbers the universal language.
__________________


HerrK - Keine Eifelfahrt ohne eine Runde über den Nürburgring

May 2010 ED l 2011 35i l Crimson over Ext'd Coral Red w/brushed Alum l 6sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's l Comfort Access l Alarm l Power Heated Seats l & Nav.
FrauK - 2014 Q5 TDI - May 2014 ED | Cuvée Silver over Pistachio beige | Premim Plus | MMI | Nav | B&O
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-01-2012, 09:40 PM
b-y's Avatar
b-y b-y is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northern California
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,737
Mein Auto: 328xiT & M roadster
When you stop at a grocery or a convenience store, try to pick up Rei in der Tube. You will find it incredibly useful during your travels.
__________________
Recent ED: 25 June 10, 328xiT in Red. Then headed SW to Italy & France. Flew home via Rome. Hoegh Kobe departed 22 July; unloaded at PH 17 Aug. Redelivery 11 Sept. (Re-redelivery 14 Sept....read the details here.)
Previous ED: 7 June 08, X3 3.0si in rosso corsa (*), then off to Italy, Austria, Slovenia. (*Note: A61 Crimson Red north of the Alps.)
Back-up vehicle (while waiting for re-deliveries): 1999 M Roadster in Estoril Blue.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-01-2012, 10:17 PM
boothguy boothguy is offline
Piacere di guidare
Location: Vista CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,375
Mein Auto: 428 Cabrio - ED'ed 8-14
Quote:
Originally Posted by francisyang View Post
Hi Guys,
I have two questions here:
1. I want to buy some snacks, drinks, and other stuff before heading to Austria. What is the chain store that I should be looking for in Munich ?
2. What is the gas type (91 in CA) that I should use in Germany, Austria, Czech republic, Neverland, and Belgium ?

Thanks
Francis
Wait. You're going to Neverland? Which one: the place where Michael Jackson and Bubbles the Chimp used to live? Or the one where Peter and The Lost Boys are still trying the get the best of Cap'n Hook? Didn't know the ED insurance was valid in either place. Please 'splain us.
__________________

My 2014 ED trip report: Born Yesterday - 3rd ED off to a (mostly) flawless start
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=793345


My 2011 ED trip report: Second ED off and running... after a brief interruption
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=545068


My 2008 ED trip report: "Thirteen months, 135 miles and wha....?"
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=288271
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Challenge64 Challenge64 is offline
Car Lover's Guidebooks
Location: Arizona
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 131
Mein Auto: BMW X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-y View Post
When you stop at a grocery or a convenience store, try to pick up Rei in der Tube. You will find it incredibly useful during your travels.
Yup! I even use it back here in the US!
__________________
Ron Adams
Travel author, photographer, editor , and so on...



Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-01-2012, 10:27 PM
francisyang francisyang is offline
Registered User
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 13
Mein Auto: E60 530I and Z33 350Z
oops, it is Netherlands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boothguy View Post
Wait. You're going to Neverland? Which one: the place where Michael Jackson and Bubbles the Chimp used to live? Or the one where Peter and The Lost Boys are still trying the get the best of Cap'n Hook? Didn't know the ED insurance was valid in either place. Please 'splain us.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-01-2012, 10:28 PM
francisyang francisyang is offline
Registered User
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 13
Mein Auto: E60 530I and Z33 350Z
thank you all for the inputs! This forum rocks
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-01-2012, 11:55 PM
WaxComb WaxComb is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 257
Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Regarding question 1: Aldi, EDEKA, REWE, Penny Markt, Real would be good for grocery items; I think EDEKA is common in Bavaria, but I'm not sure. These are the ones I shopped at when I lived in Mannheim. Honestly, I'd probably just stop at a petrol station along the autobahn.

If you want real American snacks, you'll need to stop by Galeria Kaufhof. That's the only place that stocked Ben and Jerry's ice cream when I lived there.

One last thing: unless you're in the airport, train station, or at dedicated filling station/travel center along the autobahn - grocery stores (and stores in general) are closed on Sunday.
__________________
Freude am Fahren

Last edited by WaxComb; 05-01-2012 at 11:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-02-2012, 12:06 AM
WaxComb WaxComb is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 257
Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenge64 View Post
I love questions like this! Funny enough I never added this into my travel book.

OK. I love snacks and have had many opportunities to pack lunches and go.


- Grocery Stores. ALDI is everywhere. Not at all pretty, but you'll spot a lot of them. Get butter, plastic ware, and other long term consumables here.

- Bakeries. Müller is everywhere too. Before you you go to a grocery store, hit a bakery first. You might find more snacking stuff here than at a grocery store.

- Drinks. Gas stations are fine. Usually large selections and it is all cold. Cold = key. Grocery stores won't often chill drinks.

One of my staples is getting a baguette, butter, and ham for a simple "to go" sandwich. Very tasty, filling, and easy. Just be sure NOT to eat that in your car - crumbs will be everywhere.
I would definitely recommend stopping at a bakery before the "Supermarkt".

Regarding the chilled drinks, Aldi never chills their drinks (they're a discounter), but the REWE I normally shopped at and Galeria Kaufhof did have a selection of chilled drinks (soda, water, etc.)
__________________
Freude am Fahren
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-02-2012, 12:17 PM
Challenge64 Challenge64 is offline
Car Lover's Guidebooks
Location: Arizona
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 131
Mein Auto: BMW X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxComb View Post
I would definitely recommend stopping at a bakery before the "Supermarkt".

Regarding the chilled drinks, Aldi never chills their drinks (they're a discounter), but the REWE I normally shopped at and Galeria Kaufhof did have a selection of chilled drinks (soda, water, etc.)
Kaufhof is where I personally shopped when I lived on Mannhardtstr by the Isar. Love that place! I walked there so parking wasn't an issue, but for those that drive, visiting that (or the Viktualienmarkt) can be a challenge to park.
__________________
Ron Adams
Travel author, photographer, editor , and so on...



Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-02-2012, 03:20 PM
JSpira's Avatar
JSpira JSpira is offline
Freude am Fahren
Location: New York, München, Wien
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 19,572
Mein Auto: Fünfer und Dreier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenge64 View Post
Kaufhof is where I personally shopped when I lived on Mannhardtstr by the Isar. Love that place! I walked there so parking wasn't an issue, but for those that drive, visiting that (or the Viktualienmarkt) can be a challenge to park.
I got all of my appliances and some furniture at the Kaufhof on Marienplatz. A friend's parents owned a few buildings across from the Viktualienmarkt so I always parked in their Hof when doing downtown.

I still do some shopping there for smaller items when I am Munich every few months.
__________________
Freude am Fahren.
-Jonathan





F10 2014 535d M Sport Mondstein Metallic
F10 2012 ActiveHybrid 5 Azuritschwarz Metallic
MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms