Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: E70
AC blowing through Defroster

AC intermittently (with no rhyme or reason) blows through Defrost upon startup. Occasionally it will blow through the main vents and rear, but usually only the defroster. I have an apt on Tuesday, but wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
Thanks,
07 3.0
Ads by Google
Old 05-31-2011, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5
Same problem here with a 2007 X5. One day I'll start it and, no matter what you set through the iDrive, it will only blow through the defroster vents. It will do that for a few days, then one day I'll start it and it will be back to normal and do that for a few days. I have not had time to take it in yet. Can you keep me posted on the results of your service visit?

Last edited by weasel_atty; 05-31-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: E70
Dealer diagnosed this as needing a new ihka controller and Fan Motor. Looking at just over $2,000. Seems ridiculous on such a nice car?? It doesn't help that it is also in the shop for a new thermostat and water pump.($1200)
I've seen another post on xoutpost that mentioned only faulty wiring and 4 hours of labor. I was not that lucky.

80,000 miles on my 07 E70. I realize that is a lot...however, I've had to replace both air suspension bags/perhaps motors..(I do not remember exactly, but was earlier this year)

I suppose the lesson may be, always buy brand new or certified.
Otherwise, we LOVE the car!

Any chance BMW would listen to me?
Old 07-21-2011, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5
Just to update, finally got around to having this serviced. I'm told it's a bad stepper motor. Quoted around $800 to replace.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:53 PM

Mein Auto: IS350, 328i
I had the exactly same problem, caused by my own actions. I tried to get rid of AC odor by blowing lysol into the fresh air intake, with cover and filter off. While it did remove most of the smell, after few days my AC began to blow from defrost only.

I found this and other articles, and decided to tackle this myself first. $2000 for something like this was just too much.

Anyway, I located the stepper motor, took it out and examined it. Sure enough, the motor inside was soaking wet, and had the lysol smell to it. I carefully dried all parts including connectors, and the motor itself, with some warm air to it. Fortunately, the parts were not damaged yet and had to be dried. Once I put everything back together AC began to work as expected...