Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 e70
pm.d you, blue dragon. thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
I'm using INNO racks http://www.orsracksdirect.com/inno-i...bike-rack.html

Holds perfectly fine , will even hold a 29er.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 x5 sav
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
The cost of the hitch will give you a coronary. BMW makes a really slick rack that screws into the tow hook holes on the rear bumper. Only holds 2 bikes, but is the best alternative.

Do a search. There are several threads on this, some with pics.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using BimmerApp
+1 one on the tow hook rack.

I bought it from the dealer for $500 and it's really well made and easy to use. I was initially concerned about having to pop out the covers every time i wanted to install it but it's pretty easy. I can put the rack and bikes on the car in under 10 minutes. First time took a little longer but now it's easy. The only drawback i can think of is that the rear camera is blocked. But that would be true for a hitch mounted rack as well.

I investigated several hitch mount solutions but the cost was too much and I didn't want to have to do any modifications to the car.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 Sport
Here it is:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1336875475.068347.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	324747

BMW crossbars will hold Yakima rocketbox (older model left from my prior car), did not put it on yet, two bikes go in the back. As I stated earlier, I was considering a hitch solution but all that mess threw me off. This setup works quite well, there is little shake of the mount and the whole thing feels very solid. I like that bike barely sticks out, and is totally inside the mirror width. On the picture it looks like the right wheel goes far out, but that is just an illusion due to perspective. I took a short drive around and liked the setup a lot. So +1 from me too.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: X5, E70 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
The cost of the hitch will give you a coronary. BMW makes a really slick rack that screws into the tow hook holes on the rear bumper. Only holds 2 bikes, but is the best alternative.

Do a search. There are several threads on this, some with pics.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using BimmerApp
Don't get this one. I have it and the PDC goes off every time you put the car in reverse. Drives you nuts to have to push the button on the dash to turn the PDC off. You can only lower the PDC sound (which still sounds loud) in sound settings, you cannot turn the sound off. A flaw in this car. Just get a roof version.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtop View Post
Don't get this one. I have it and the PDC goes off every time you put the car in reverse. Drives you nuts to have to push the button on the dash to turn the PDC off. You can only lower the PDC sound (which still sounds loud) in sound settings, you cannot turn the sound off. A flaw in this car. Just get a roof version.
It does trigger PDC, which indeed may be annoying. However, for myself, it is outweighted by other benefits such as little wind resistance (bikes basically do not stick out), loading/unloading convenience that reduces chances of side scratches (I had roof mount on a sedan and liked it, but it was still very dangerous with those pedals), and also reduced chances of driving into garage door with bikes on top - sometimes I forget what is up there. And the PDC beeping, while annoying, is quite logical - it reminds me there are bikes sticking out in the back so I have to be more careful backing up. Not a bad tradeoff overall, IMHO.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: X5 Diesel xDrive35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtop View Post
For what it is worth . . . plugging a set of trailer lights to the hitch electricals will disable the PDC. I looked into getting a simple hitch light . . . but it looks like, if you get the real cheap ones, it will generate bulb errors - yes the X5 system is pretty smart to check for the electrical load these trailer lights generate.

Thought of getting a good quality trailer lights, attach them to a one-inch diameter PVC pipe and about the length of the bicycles and it on to the bike like you clamp a bike. (Mine can carry 4 bikes, we only carry 3 bikes). This solution has the added benefit of making the rear brake lights really visible . . . haven't gotten around to doing this.

Here is a thread related to this PDC issue.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5D
I went with the BMW installed receiver hitch for the following reasons:

1. Never do a "rear door mount" - they are not reliable, hard to secure, and can scratch the paint. There really are only 2 options (besides inside) - roof rack and receiver hitch.

2. I take my bike on work trips and often park in parking garages - bad idea for a SUV / roof rack / bike.

3. Gas milage. Measure it, it does make a difference.

4. Ease of putting the bikes on and off (I can carry 4).

Downsides:
1. Having to drop the rack to open the back is a pain.
2. Having to push the park distance control EVERY TIME I put the car in reverse, and then I lose the camera as well.

Still - better than the roof for me given my situation.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman4639 View Post
I went with the BMW installed receiver hitch for the following reasons:

1. Never do a "rear door mount" - they are not reliable, hard to secure, and can scratch the paint. There really are only 2 options (besides inside) - roof rack and receiver hitch. . . .

Downsides:
1. Having to drop the rack to open the back is a pain.
2. Having to push the park distance control EVERY TIME I put the car in reverse, and then I lose the camera as well.
There are actually 3 options - roof rack, receiver hitch AND the BMW supplied tow-hook rack. Tow-hook rack has the same downsides you indicate for the receiver hitch. The upside is - you don't have to cut the rear bumper . . . additional downside is - limited to 2 bikes + you cannot tow a trailer (i.e. you still need the receiver hitch for towing).
Old 05-14-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPsX5d View Post
There are actually 3 options - roof rack, receiver hitch AND the BMW supplied tow-hook rack. Tow-hook rack has the same downsides you indicate for the receiver hitch. The upside is - you don't have to cut the rear bumper . . . additional downside is - limited to 2 bikes + you cannot tow a trailer (i.e. you still need the receiver hitch for towing).
I stand corrected. I did consider that option as well, but from the photos it looked like if you tilt back the carrier you can open the top section of the rear door but not the bottom. This was a big deal for me because I like to sit on the bottom tailgate while putting on my cycling shoes, changing clothes for hiking, cooling down after a ride, etc.

Correct me if I am wrong about the tailgate - it was a web photo observation....
Old 05-14-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I stand corrected. . . . . Correct me if I am wrong about the tailgate - it was a web photo observation....
I have a 12 year old Yakima 4-bike rack that weighs a ton, so cannot comment on the BMW supplied tow-hook rack. On my Yakima, if I attach the bike rack away from the rear bumper (I have two holes for the cross-pin), I can open the bottom tailgate and sit on it as you suggest . . . of course the bikes have to be removed first.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I have a 12 year old Yakima 4-bike rack that weighs a ton, so cannot comment on the BMW supplied tow-hook rack. On my Yakima, if I attach the bike rack away from the rear bumper (I have two holes for the cross-pin), I can open the bottom tailgate and sit on it as you suggest . . . of course the bikes have to be removed first.
I have a 4 bike Yakima as well, and can release the pin and drop it with the bikes on - but it's not ideal.

Still, it's great to be able to drop the tailgate -
Old 05-14-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I stand corrected. I did consider that option as well, but from the photos it looked like if you tilt back the carrier you can open the top section of the rear door but not the bottom. This was a big deal for me because I like to sit on the bottom tailgate while putting on my cycling shoes, changing clothes for hiking, cooling down after a ride, etc.

Correct me if I am wrong about the tailgate - it was a web photo observation....
The top part of the bmw rack kind of slides and tilts back, and then both upper and lower sections of the tailgate can be opened. There is actually enough space between the folded down lower tailgate and the bikes to fit a dog ramp (just tested ) The most vertical U part also folds down for storage (there is little point in driving with it folded). When I get a chance I will take a couple pictures of it from a side, normal and tilted with the tailgate open, and post here.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxmxwx View Post
The top part of the bmw rack kind of slides and tilts back, and then both upper and lower sections of the tailgate can be opened. There is actually enough space between the folded down lower tailgate and the bikes to fit a dog ramp (just tested ) The most vertical U part also folds down for storage (there is little point in driving with it folded). When I get a chance I will take a couple pictures of it from a side, normal and tilted with the tailgate open, and post here.
very cool - that may have been a better option for me then as well.....

does the park distance control go off every time you put it in reverse?
Old 05-14-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
very cool - that may have been a better option for me then as well.....

does the park distance control go off every time you put it in reverse?
Yep, just see a few posts above.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=30
Old 05-14-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
hey - if you get a chance - can you send me a photo of this with the top and bottom door opened? I'd love to see how much space I have - I may change my setup.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
For what it is worth . . . plugging a set of trailer lights to the hitch electricals will disable the PDC. I looked into getting a simple hitch light . . . but it looks like, if you get the real cheap ones, it will generate bulb errors - yes the X5 system is pretty smart to check for the electrical load these trailer lights generate.

Thought of getting a good quality trailer lights, attach them to a one-inch diameter PVC pipe and about the length of the bicycles and it on to the bike like you clamp a bike. (Mine can carry 4 bikes, we only carry 3 bikes). This solution has the added benefit of making the rear brake lights really visible . . . haven't gotten around to doing this.

Here is a thread related to this PDC issue.
There is another twist: while installing the bmw rack, I saw instructions in the manual for the version with light (and extra license plate on top, apparently you have to keep the rear l/p visible all the time in some european countries). The light plugs into the hitch connector. I did not see this verison on the web, only in the manual. If it actually exists, it should, theoretically, work well with the PDC. Bmw to bmw kind of thing, right?
Old 05-14-2012, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Here's a pic of mine. I have a 08 so I can push a button and my PDC turns off. But really....if that is your only concern.....
Anyway, best of luck.
Oh and I paid $650 at the dealer....listed for $700.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	securedownload.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	325073  
Old 05-14-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couper93 View Post
Here's a pic of mine. I have a 08 so I can push a button and my PDC turns off. But really....if that is your only concern.....
Anyway, best of luck.
Oh and I paid $650 at the dealer....listed for $700.
Note the combination of sterile clean x5 and totally dirty bike - that is one more thing you will not be able to do with a roof mount
Old 05-14-2012, 04:02 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
Note the combination of sterile clean x5 and totally dirty bike - that is one more thing you will not be able to do with a roof mount
so true and if there is no mud or blood...you ain't ridin.....
Blood makes the grass grow boys.....
Old 05-20-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
As promised, here are the pics. Normal, tilted and tilted with open tailgate. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1337535668.438786.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	325900Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1337535689.827848.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	325901Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1337535707.048240.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	325902
Old 05-21-2012, 08:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
That is really nice. We are a family of four so not as useful for us, but a great solution either way.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: X5 & 328i Convertible M
We have the same bike mount and love it, as it allow the hitch to remain available for the camper.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 e70
i have a family of four biking also and with a leased vehicle, i think this tow hook solution and roof mounts are the best i can do for 4 bikes. its a bit more expensive but cheaper than installing a hitch with the bumper work and rewiring, plus the cost of a 4 bike hitch mount, i believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodnjen View Post
That is really nice. We are a family of four so not as useful for us, but a great solution either way.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by junji98 View Post
i have a family of four biking also and with a leased vehicle, i think this tow hook solution and roof mounts are the best i can do for 4 bikes. its a bit more expensive but cheaper than installing a hitch with the bumper work and rewiring, plus the cost of a 4 bike hitch mount, i believe.
I wonder if there is a hitch that doesn't require cutting the bumper. I have the same issue, need to carry 4 bikes. The ones on the roof really cut fuel mileage, I went from 35 mpg to 25 mpg with my 335d with 4 on the roof. I wonder how bad it effects the X5.

Retired 2011 335d AW, M Sport, Premium and Convenience pkg, Heated Seats, Nav, HK, iPod/USB, smart phone. ED 8/31/10

Retired 2008 335i Coupe 6-speed Manual, Montego Blue, Sport, Premium, CW, Nav, PDC, AS, Shade, HD, Sat, Ipod/USB, Logic 7, CA
PCD 11/07

Retired 2004 545i Sapphire Black/Black 6-speed Manual, Sport.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Power View Post
I wonder if there is a hitch that doesn't require cutting the bumper. I have the same issue, need to carry 4 bikes. The ones on the roof really cut fuel mileage, I went from 35 mpg to 25 mpg with my 335d with 4 on the roof. I wonder how bad it effects the X5.
ExecuHitch