Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 11-16-2015, 10:53 PM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: Two 1987 325i, 430K, 211K
Fuel device deleted/bypassed on 2nd car

I was getting some strong gas smell in the engine bay so I set about to put in all new hoses, along with refurbished injectors (new O-rings) and new pressure regulator. I was tracing where the lines went so as to disconnect and I discovered something I hadn't noticed. Two steel fuel lines traverse side to side near the top of the firewall, and on the passenger side, there was a bit of hose connecting the two. So the fuel is doing a circuitous path for no apparent reason.

Lucky me, I have another E30, made two days after the more recent acquisition, and it has a device at the end of those two lines which I'd not paid attention to before. Can't find reference to it in Bentley.

Here's the new car:

The origin of the two lines, driver's side:

The lower line, at left in the pic comes from the pressure regulator, the other line goes back to the tank area.

The bypass:

So if I'm going to stick with this setup, makes sense to bypass the whole loop and connect the regulator directly to the lead near the bottom of the bay on the firewall.

Here's the setup in my first car, the one built two days after the car in the above pics:

Just to the left of the shock tower is the device the two lines plug into. It has a sort of neoprene jacket over it, about an inch in diameter, 4 or 5 inches long. The line that comes of it has a Schrader valve under the cap, sure looks like one anyway. That line continues on to a rubber hose affair with a corrugated aluminum jacket looking thingy:

The hose protrudes from the bottom and dead ends into space.

So, the obvious question, what is it and why is it easily bypassed with no apparent penalty?

Last edited by cmac2012; 11-16-2015 at 10:56 PM.
Advertisement
Old 11-17-2015, 12:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e30, e60, R1100S
that isn't how it was originally - there was a fuel cooler in the AC line that has apparently been deleted on your car.

turned up in this thread easily:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=315935
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=16_0301
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeNoo View Post
Although I have nothing scientific to say, I can confidently say that it works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning2nd View Post
If you want to use the fuhrers snowmobile you gotta have das tires

Last edited by u3b3rg33k; 11-17-2015 at 12:25 AM.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:01 AM
Renaissance Dude

Hmmm ... my first car had the cooler unit but not sure how it hooked up to AC. The AC in that car never worked, I recently got the AC working on my new car.

A couple of summers ago I was driving through Medford, OR on a really hot day, 105 IIRC, in my no AC car. I suddenly lost power, reminiscent of a dead fuel pump. I sat by the road for awhile, wondering what I would do, and after 30 minutes tried to start it and it ran fine. Got me back to the Bay Area w/o further drama. Vapor lock was the best I could come up with. I might give a thought to taking the parts out of my non AC car for use in the newer one.

The second link is interesting but it doesn't have the pipe with the Shrader valve that you can see in my 3rd pic. And not sure how it attaches to AC. I dunno, I'll hunt it out.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:48 AM

Running cars shouldn't vapor lock, especially with a return style fuel system...
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-17-2015, 11:52 AM
Renaissance Dude

That was the consensus opinion back when I spoke of the incident. OTOH, I did have a loss of power that felt very much like dead fuel pump and vapor lock could do that, followed by the miraculous self-heal.

The mystery deepens, I looked over the proximity of where that fuel cooler would be on the newer car (newer - lower mileage) and it has a similar connection down to the AC compressor that the older car had, except on the older car it attached to the fuel cooler as seen in post #2. On the newer car, there is some factory looking plumbing that takes that coolant past the weird U-turn fuel hose detour through the firewall into the cabin. Not sure where the coolant was routed into the cabin on the older car. I'll see if I can find that.

At this point, I see no reason to not delete the two tubes that cross the firewall to the hose U-turn (not remove them, just bypass them) and hook the pressure regulator directly to the line from the tank/fuel pump. Would eliminate 4 hose clamps (!?).

The weird question for me is, was the fuel hose U-turn a factory thing? Weird. I'll get some pics of the factory stuff that bypasses the point where the fuel cooler would have been.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:06 PM

I can't say if that delete was factory - the radius looks a bit restrictive.

Anyways I would definitely delete it. the extra plumbing serves no useful purpose. unless you consider restricting access to the HVAC blower to be useful. It's definitely a smart idea to use NEW fuel injection rated fuel line (NOT hardware store fuel line) to replace any connection you touch.

FWIW, any large piping on the passenger side of the car entering the cabin is likely AC related, not engine coolant.
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by u3b3rg33k; 11-17-2015 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:09 AM
Renaissance Dude

Mystery solved. The AC lines on the passenger side do indeed go through the firewall. On the original setup, which my older car has, coolant passes through the device which has fuel going through it. Sort of a tiny radiator I'm guessing. It then proceeds onward into the cabin. For some reason, that device was removed on my newer car and a different plumbing setup was rigged in. Goes from the AC up to the same point on the firewall. Pics of that car:

I may look for an intact unit at the boneyard and revive it. I drive though 100+ temps about once a year in central Cal and Oregon. Round here, it rarely goes over 90.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)
Today's Posts Search