Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 06-01-2004, 10:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by uter
Great trip and great photos. Congrats!

You know, I feel kind of proud that so many Bimmerfesters stay at the Hotel Uhland when we do European Delivery. My wife and I thought it was lovely when we stayed there 2 yrs ago. I know that there are plenty of places to stay in Munich, but I kind of like the idea that a little hotel that's run by three generations from the same family gets our business (and the current proprietor has a little 318ti).
When I stayed there, Brigette (the lady who ran things there) asked me what I was doing in Munich and I told her about the ED program. She was completely unaware of it or the fact that Uhland has had so many repeat ED business thanks to derprofi. Perhaps BMW should organize some special discount with Hotel Uhland for us EDers.

By the way, Hotel Uhland parking is cramped. The parking lot barely allowed my 3-series to squeeze through so I ended up parking on the street in front of the hotel at no charge. Unlike in the states where people will vandalize your car, it's fairly safe to leave it parked on the streets. Germans have a lot of respect for other people's cars. France,on the other hand...
Old 06-02-2004, 03:09 AM
John Firestone

Mein Auto: 1996 318is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanuck
A Hotel Uhland parking spot. Your car will fit, you just have to be a bit more precise about it than back home.
Ack.
A picture of a car parked under a tree.
With birds and what birds drop.
Oh my precious, my precious paint.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:35 AM
John Firestone

Mein Auto: 1996 318is
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffh325
Unlike in the states where people will vandalize your car, it's fairly safe to leave it parked on the streets. Germans have a lot of respect for other people's cars....
There is, however, a small minority that will occassionally scratch cars and kick off mirrors in any town or city. When I last reported a kicked mirror to the police, the officer I talked to said such things stopped when you got about 10 km out of town. He lived a little further.

I am not sure I would be too worried about such things on a European Delivery car with zero deductable insurance. It may be a bit of a hassle to report, but I think most reading this will be fairly impressed by the German police afterward.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:24 AM
Using SPF 45

Mein Auto: 2004 330Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanuck
A Hotel Uhland parking spot. Your car will fit, you just have to be a bit more precise about it than back home.
Yeah, but it looks like your tail is hanging over the rear line a bit . . .
Old 06-02-2004, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
I think it maybe a city vs suburbia thing. Both me and my wife parallel park in the city on almost daily basis (how else would one find parking?) and it was easier to do it in Europe as there were no hills for the most part (we live in SF). So this was just a non-issue. You can sometimes see a suburbanite trying to park his/her big ass SUV here and either taking a completely wrong angle of approach or being way too far from the car in front or inevitable hitting a curb or worse a vehicle behind. Is parallel parking part of the US driver's license test? Just wondering. When I got mine in Europe I actually failed my first attemp, I was couple centimeters too far from the curb. I nailed it on a second. Except for the hill part which throws off your judgement, I can pretty much parallel park "on feel" - that is if you are properly positioned next to the car that will be in front of you, I could do it without looking.
As a side not, one thing that I did not like about A4/S4 as opposed to E46 is the horrible blind spots making parallel parking/lane changes more difficult.
Having said that, there are tons of parking spaces on the Uhland Street and it seems very safe, quiet and residential. It is so removed that there is really no point for anyone else to venture on this street unless they live there or visit someone. From what I've seen it's free. I think the main street (where bus goes) leading to the Central Station may have parking meters. I'm not sure.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 Tiburon
I'm not too concerned about parking on the street, in general, and I'm surprised so
many people here find that a big deal. I've lived and parked here in the US and in Europe
and it's just another part of driving a car.

I was just wondering if parking on the street was available at all at the Uhland. I'm glad I don't have to find a parking garage somewhere. Having spent some time in Vienna, I
often had to park several blocks away from the apartment and that after driving around
for 20 minutes.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoB
I'm not too concerned about parking on the street, in general, and I'm surprised so
many people here find that a big deal. I've lived and parked here in the US and in Europe
and it's just another part of driving a car.

I was just wondering if parking on the street was available at all at the Uhland. I'm glad I don't have to find a parking garage somewhere. Having spent some time in Vienna, I
often had to park several blocks away from the apartment and that after driving around
for 20 minutes.
You will definitely find parking on the street. Probably right in front of the hotel even. Now when I think about it, maybe it's a better idea especially with all these ED parallel parking artists trying to fit in these "tight" hotel spots! JUST KIDDING!!!
Old 06-02-2004, 12:56 PM
IRIX Rocks!

Send a message via Yahoo to dlloyd1975
Mein Auto: 325iT Schlampenschlepper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallenrod
I think it maybe a city vs suburbia thing. Both me and my wife parallel park in the city on almost daily basis (how else would one find parking?) and it was easier to do it in Europe as there were no hills for the most part (we live in SF). So this was just a non-issue. You can sometimes see a suburbanite trying to park his/her big ass SUV here and either taking a completely wrong angle of approach or being way too far from the car in front or inevitable hitting a curb or worse a vehicle behind. Is parallel parking part of the US driver's license test? Just wondering. When I got mine in Europe I actually failed my first attemp, I was couple centimeters too far from the curb. I nailed it on a second. Except for the hill part which throws off your judgement, I can pretty much parallel park "on feel" - that is if you are properly positioned next to the car that will be in front of you, I could do it without looking.
As a side not, one thing that I did not like about A4/S4 as opposed to E46 is the horrible blind spots making parallel parking/lane changes more difficult.
Having said that, there are tons of parking spaces on the Uhland Street and it seems very safe, quiet and residential. It is so removed that there is really no point for anyone else to venture on this street unless they live there or visit someone. From what I've seen it's free. I think the main street (where bus goes) leading to the Central Station may have parking meters. I'm not sure.
Parallell parking is on the drivers tests for Kansas and Missouri. No idea about other states, though.

I agree, though. It might be a 'burbs vs. city thing. I parallell park all the time (and I love the auto tilt down feature for the passenger mirror!) with no problems. You really can tell the folks from out in the burbs on an expedition into the scary city.

The Shaggin' Wagon
2003 Gray Green 325iT, PP, SP, CW, HK, Sand 'Ette
Old 06-02-2004, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 Tiburon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallenrod
You will definitely find parking on the street. Probably right in front of the hotel even. Now when I think about it, maybe it's a better idea especially with all these ED parallel parking artists trying to fit in these "tight" hotel spots! JUST KIDDING!!!

Yeah, lack of practical education in America is staggering. I guess if you just go from a
three-car-garage-driveway to the mall...

Me too just kidding!
Old 06-02-2004, 03:16 PM

Mein Auto: 01 325i, 08 335i
Great write-up and pictures! I heard myself sounding like Rick Steves as I read through your experience. Beautiful descriptions of the places and food. The wife has been telling me for several years now that if she ever goes to Italy, Tuscany will definitely be on the list of places to see. Maybe when we do an ED for our new e90?
Old 06-02-2004, 09:10 PM
ZHPper

Mein Auto: 330ciZHP Mini Clubman VUE
Best write up yet, good job! I live in MO and flunked the parking part, but got license anyway but had more trouble figuring out the parking lot pay machines in Germany than parking! The Germans do have a lot of respect for cars, they will look something neat over REAL close, but will not touch it. Thats nice. The Uhland is sure getting good marks, but I think our stay at the Torbrau will measure up (Family run for 100 years and supposedly the oldest hotel in Munich).
Old 06-02-2004, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody underwood
Best write up yet, good job! I live in MO and flunked the parking part, but got license anyway but had more trouble figuring out the parking lot pay machines in Germany than parking! The Germans do have a lot of respect for cars, they will look something neat over REAL close, but will not touch it. Thats nice. The Uhland is sure getting good marks, but I think our stay at the Torbrau will measure up (Family run for 100 years and supposedly the oldest hotel in Munich).
Thanks! Torbrau's location is hard to beat. It's right there in the old town. The building looked very nice when I walked by, I think there's an italian restaurant downstairs. I actually considered it when booking but it was quite a bit more plus parking.