Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:23 PM

Mein Auto: x5
Mount Points E70 X5

Hi

this came to me as a surprise not sure if anyone here have came across anything like this. I have Michelin Tires on the X5 and have a warranty issue that Michelin needs to replace the tires. After finding a Michelin Dealer for the sake of anonymity lets call the place a big chain tire shop. After discussing the issue with a Manager at the front desk he motioned to someone to put the car up on a lift to take a look. I was watching outside the person struggling so i decided to move up closer and see what the issue is. The so called mechanic couldn't figure out how to position the lift under mounting points and when he finally did he almost damaged undercarriage of the car. (good thing i have stopped him in time). My car didn't have Jack support platforms installed and i had NO idea if they are required. Does anyone know if this so called piece of plastic that clips into jack points is required to be installed? (jack support platform). How do other shops / Dealers are able to lift the car without it ? is it the shop that is not capable to service a BMW or limited knowledge of the manager / Mechanic?

thanks.

Last edited by kingloose; 05-03-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2012, 02:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E60, Porsche987, MB320
Should be four black pads about 4 to 5" square on all the inside corners of the cars. Two behind the front wheels and two in front of the rear wheels. These are your jack/lift points for the X5.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexstar View Post
Should be four black pads about 4 to 5" square on all the inside corners of the cars. Two behind the front wheels and two in front of the rear wheels. These are your jack/lift points for the X5.
thank you for your response but i still do not understand if these pads should be installed ? or this is only for one time Jack use when you have to jack up the car ? is it the same points that are used when the car is up on a lift as well ?
Old 05-03-2012, 05:19 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Should come installed...maybe they forgot?

Has your car been jacked up yet for service at the dealer??? Maybe they drove it onto a lift and used the tires, never used a frame/body/mount point jack?

Here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=267424

Last edited by ard; 05-03-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
I actually looked at these 4 pads the other day and noticed that it looked and felt like hard plastic? I was wondering if it was enough to hold the vehicle up.

Was just curious.
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Should come installed...maybe they forgot?

Has your car been jacked up yet for service at the dealer??? Maybe they drove it onto a lift and used the tires, never used a frame/body/mount point jack?

Here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=267424
Yes

Thats what i was wondering .. if the dealer was suppose to install them or that was a present and i had no idea what to do with it. Its not a local shop's fault. So i will have to install them and leave them in place. They seem to be a bit loose, do they fall out ?
Old 05-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

I cannot understand your sentence...by 'present' does that mean 'things that came in the trunk with the new car'?!??!. Anyway, plan:

1. Drive to the BMW dealer.

2. As the service guy to come out and look at the car.

3. Ask him to point out the jacking locations- ask him to verify the jacking blocks were never installed. He may say "Oh, you must have lost them, that will cost you", counter with "No, you can actually see there was never any scuff marks or other indicttion the blocks were installed. He argues ask for the service MANAGER and go to another car, remove one block and compare.

4. Hopefully he isnt a dick and they say "lets pop 4 in, give me 5 minutes"

Alternate plan:

1. Order from online source for $20, install in the driveway when the car is warming up. Done

A
Old 05-04-2012, 01:35 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
I actually looked at these 4 pads the other day and noticed that it looked and felt like hard plastic? I was wondering if it was enough to hold the vehicle up.

Was just curious.
That's because they ARE hard plastic. The indentation in the center is for the OE scissors jack - you don't want the 2 ton SAV slipping off the scissors jack when you are changing one of the 70 pound RFT's. (I exagerate ... but not by much).

BTW the scissors jack is a POS. Not so much the jack itself as the handle, which is made of stale pasta. If you think you will ever be able to raise the truck up without a quality floor jack (or better yet, a lift), you are sadly mistaken.

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic

Last edited by quackbury; 05-04-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
I cannot understand your sentence...by 'present' does that mean 'things that came in the trunk with the new car'?!??!. Anyway, plan:

1. Drive to the BMW dealer.

2. As the service guy to come out and look at the car.

3. Ask him to point out the jacking locations- ask him to verify the jacking blocks were never installed. He may say "Oh, you must have lost them, that will cost you", counter with "No, you can actually see there was never any scuff marks or other indicttion the blocks were installed. He argues ask for the service MANAGER and go to another car, remove one block and compare.

4. Hopefully he isnt a dick and they say "lets pop 4 in, give me 5 minutes"

Alternate plan:

1. Order from online source for $20, install in the driveway when the car is warming up. Done

A
Ard

you are correct. The dealer never installed them. they delivered the car without them installed. So my question was Did the dealer screw up and didnot install them prior to delivery of the vehicle ?
I purchased the car in a Delaware and live in NY. will not drive 250 miles to see the dealer.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:21 PM

Mein Auto: e70, e36, e90, e46iT, 6.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingloose View Post
Ard

you are correct. The dealer never installed them. they delivered the car without them installed. So my question was Did the dealer screw up and didnot install them prior to delivery of the vehicle ?
I purchased the car in a Delaware and live in NY. will not drive 250 miles to see the dealer.

Dude, you have a warranty. it is good from Minne-Tonka to Goose Creek and points West. ask your local dealer to hook you up. if that doesn't work ask your selling dealer to ship them to you. if that doesn't work go to BMWNA.

the tie down points for transport are the holes that the pucks plug up in to. it is possible that yours never got the pucks replaced / installed. not the end of the world, trust me. besides the truck can be lifted at those points with out the pucks. they are after all installed in the "lift points".

breathe out, it will be OK.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:34 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

^^ OP, you are over-thinking 'dealer' versus 'BMW factory'

BMW was responsible for giving you a complete car..someone forgot to pop them in.... ANY dealer can fix this.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:56 AM

Thank you everyone for your response. I have contacted the dealer and waiting to hear from them. It just took me by surprise when a Local shop (not a dealer) told me they couldnt lift the car on the lift without these things. Thanks everyone for your help.