Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-03-2012, 07:27 PM
new guy

Mein Auto: 335i
my "new" e335i

Within the next week or so I'll be driving an '07 E335i off the lot, im wondering what experiences yall have had with them, if there's anything i need to look for next time i go check it out specific to these, things such as that.

Also, this will be my first BMW, i understand these are supposed to be pretty quick, but id like to know a little bit about how working on these is. I'm mechanically talented, so a challenge isn't intimidating, what are good upgrades to look in to, or weak points to strengthen?

I appreciate any help, hopefully in a little while i can be on the other side offering advice!
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Not a real doctor.

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
Congratulations.

Very quick. Take it easy until you get a feel for the thing.

The quiet truth of the matter is that the 335s are awesome right out of the box. You really don't need to upgrade anything on them. Use your talents to do your own maintenance.

If you have the bug and want to do things, there are scads of options out there. Many "upgrades" aren't really, so take time to look into things.

Welcome to the 'fest.

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Ordered: 14Jan09; Delivered: 24Feb09 from Stratham, NH BMW
Old 05-03-2012, 07:37 PM
new guy

Thanks buddy, I've seen so many different websites that seem to offer a lot of the same things, driving it awhile before taking things apart does make sense. Guess I'm too used to old cars haha
Old 05-08-2012, 09:15 PM
Always laughing loudest

Mein Auto: '11 335i M-sport...by day
I'm a new addition to the bimmer community and gained entry with a 2011 335i just a few weeks ago. It is wicked fast. I realized quickly that any mods I might want to do would get little use since I'm already having a tough time keeping the needle near the speed limit. Any extra horsepower would make that challenge worse. A good running 335 will give a competitive challenge to most American sports cars but handle sooooooo much better.

My advice is to save the money and divert it to the inevitable fuel price increase, or a good detailing kit to keep her lookin' great for a long time.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Just have fun with it and plan to put most of your maintenance money in tires!!
Old 05-08-2012, 11:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelevan View Post
Within the next week or so I'll be driving an '07 E335i off the lot, im wondering what experiences yall have had with them, if there's anything i need to look for next time i go check it out specific to these, things such as that.

Also, this will be my first BMW, i understand these are supposed to be pretty quick, but id like to know a little bit about how working on these is. I'm mechanically talented, so a challenge isn't intimidating, what are good upgrades to look in to, or weak points to strengthen?

I appreciate any help, hopefully in a little while i can be on the other side offering advice!

Here's my 2

You'll find if pushed - who doesn't push their 335i - you'll quickly find limits. If you wish, you may have nearly M3 performance like a wolf, sheep's clothing. Better than, down low/street.

Suspension & drivetrain first, then power. Trust me. When the time comes, JB4 + meth satisfies.

www.e90post.com & www.n54tech.com are better forums for mods.

Name:  Prescription.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  2.4 KB

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 05-09-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
What's an e335?
Old 05-09-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbajack View Post
Just have fun with it and plan to put most of your maintenance money in tires!!
Not sure about your color choice in person but it photographs beautifully...Even those rims which i have her some dislikes....They look awesome on that auto!! Off topic but don't care.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop362 View Post
Not sure about your color choice in person but it photographs beautifully...Even those rims which i have her some dislikes....They look awesome on that auto!! Off topic but don't care.
Yes! It's that beautiful in person. I get comments on it everywhere I go because it's so unique and pretty. I didn't get a choice on the wheels. When I ordered her they hadn't even confirmed the 2011 specs yet so they were a total surprise when I saw her at the Welt and I really don't care for them but what could I do? I tend to like the simpler, more contemporary 5-spokes.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:41 AM

Mein Auto: 335i Sport,Premium & Navi
The 335i in stock form is amazing, and can easily be modded. I would state that a good performance driving school be the first mod anyone does. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbajack View Post
Yes! It's that beautiful in person. I get comments on it everywhere I go because it's so unique and pretty. I didn't get a choice on the wheels. When I ordered her they hadn't even confirmed the 2011 specs yet so they were a total surprise when I saw her at the Welt and I really don't care for them but what could I do? I tend to like the simpler, more contemporary 5-spokes.
A fine choice plus don't get lost in sea of black and whites...Good job.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop362 View Post
What's an e335?
the result of an MBe350 and 335i crashing
Old 05-09-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:

Seems like you should be fine, especially if you're good with cars, I say your lucky . I look at the spark plug/coil packs DIY (which I put below so you can see), and I feel like I'd mess it up with the torque wrench

Sparks/Coils
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=509236

Golf Tee mod video for left muffler rattle
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1449107

Vanos
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486201

valve cleaning (strongly recommend you look at this to see how dirty the valves are, as almost everyone will have UBER bad valves at some point... Walnut blasting at a dealer is 500-1k)
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520922

*well I just did my first mod ever (GOLF TEE) bet all you home mechanics were as good as me OOOO YEAHHH! exhaust sounds MUCH better no more tin can rattle.

Last edited by SuperTerp; 05-09-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
the result of an MBe350 and 335i crashing
OP's a cross breeder.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:14 PM
new guy

my bad with the 'e' tied in there, not sure what that was about haha.
me and my buddies went for a solid long cruise, me in my 3 series, roommate in his 5 series, and another friend in an Audi TT (out of place, but he handled it very well)
realized some suspension work would be nice. 2nd night owning it and pushing it to slide through hard turns, it was a blast.
so, im thinking springs (not for stance, for legitimate handling purposes) and definitely brakes, but thats nothing special.

programmers ive found look very appealing, anyone with experience to share?
also exhaust work to let that beautiful sound sing louder and breathe better.
intake, not sure brand-wise or what to really look for.
thanks calwaterboy for those links, im looking into that after this post.

now, issue wise,
one of the slide out cup holders has a bad habit of hanging up.
and the passenger side door doesnt unlock unless i pull the door handle, but i can hear it trying to pop. im guessing a relay, or maybe a bad wire.. im not sure. anyone else dealt with this problem?
Old 05-13-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
realized some suspension work would be nice. 2nd night owning it and pushing it to slide through hard turns, it was a blast.
so, im thinking springs (not for stance, for legitimate handling purposes) and definitely brakes, but thats nothing special
Coming from awd cars with torque vectoring I agree, and I plan on doing Dinan Stage 3 suspension. Again from what you've said prior you might have no problems doing it all yourself, and can save a ton on labor and get the Koni (or better) spring on your own. I like the stock breaking, I'd love to get the Dinan Brembo big breaks kit, but between stage 2/3 performance with CAI, and stage 3 suspension unless I feel I need them I might pass.

Golf Tee mod made a crazy difference for me in adding sound (much better then my rattle), but either I'm driving faster or my mPGs have gotten worse by about .3-.9

Last edited by SuperTerp; 05-13-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:30 PM

Mein Auto: 335i Coupe
wanna see pix!!!!!
Old 05-14-2012, 10:07 PM
new guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by boglow View Post
wanna see pix!!!!!
If this was to me, will do soon. Going to give it a good bath tomorrow

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Bimmer App