Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-03-2012, 07:01 PM
David

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330i Sport ^_^
Unhappy BMW to a WRX

Hi I was just wondering what 3 series owners think about a WRX? I used to have a Saab and I think because of some of the problems I experienced when it started getting high in the mileage (110k), I am starting to get really paranoid about repairs with my bmw. My car is at 80k. Unfortunately I can't afford a new bmw at this time, but the WRX intrigues me. I could get a brand new one that would have warranty and be paying a couple dollars per month than I am paying right now for my car. My car has 80k miles on it, and I'm starting to freak out a bit.

Am I going to regret getting this car? Aside from it not being a premium brand what do you guys think about them?

I plan on being a BMW guy again once I can afford the higher end ones haha! I just feel stuck in this car

Last edited by VirtuousWolf; 05-04-2012 at 01:53 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 05-03-2012, 07:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtuousWolf View Post
Hi I was just wondering what 3 series owners think about a WRX? I used to have a Saab and I think because of some of the problems I experienced when it started getting high in the mileage (110k), I am starting to get really paranoid about repairs with my bmw. Unfortunately I can't afford a new bmw at this time, but the WRX intrigues me. I could get a brand new one that would have warranty and be paying a couple dollars per month than I am paying right now for my car. My car has 80k miles on it, and I'm starting to freak out a bit.

Am I going to regret getting this car? Aside from it not being a premium brand what do you guys think about them?

I plan on being a BMW guy again once I can afford the higher end ones haha! I just feel stuck in this car
Kids car with good speed on the cheap also tacky as it gets but to each his own...If $$ is the prob. I would rather by a used cpo bimmer.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:49 PM
David

Lol money is not a "problem" I could easily handle a 600 a month car payment but I'd have to watch my spending. With this I would actually be saving money, and I just really want a manual car, that's brand new
Old 05-03-2012, 07:51 PM

Sounds like you sold yourself a car...Then why ask??
Old 05-03-2012, 07:53 PM
Omnia in modum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop362 View Post
Kids car with good speed on the cheap also tacky as it gets but to each his own...If $$ is the prob. I would rather by a used cpo bimmer.
If you look at OP's "mein auto" he is alread in a used CPO bimmer.

VWolf, there is nothing wrong with taking a step back and re-grouping if you are over burdened. There are a lot of knowledegable people on this forum who applaud the WRX. Send a PM to THEHACK and see what he has to say about the WRX.

You are young and still in school. There is plenty of time in your future for a BMW on terms that don't leave you stressed and overextended.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 05-03-2012, 07:54 PM

Mein Auto: 335ic
get a mk7 gti when it comes out, great car in and out... much nicer than subi...
Old 05-03-2012, 07:54 PM

Mein Auto: '08 335xi (E90)
At least it has three consonants.
At port: March 19, 2008
Shipped on Graceful Leader: March 21, 2008
Arrived Port Hueneme: April 11, 2008
At dealer's: April 19, 2008
Delivered: April 21, 2008
Old 05-03-2012, 08:07 PM
David

Joe isn't that fwd though, plus I see VW as an even lower step on the totem pole than Subaru? I don't care that much about interior, the more stuff in it the more it weighs imo. But that will change once I'm older and have a family and stuff.

And thanks Kat! I mean I can afford to keep this car but I just don't want to put a bunch of money into a 6 year old car. The other day I almost ordered the BMW PE for my car, but then I was like why am I gonna upgrade this??

I love BMW!! In the correct places, for example walmart at night people stare at me and think it's a brand new car. But I feel like I really messed up by not getting a manual.. And now everyday I kick myself for falling in love with this car so much instead of just finding a 335i
Old 05-03-2012, 08:19 PM
David

Quote:
Sounds like you sold yourself a car...Then why ask??
Well I need to put like 4k into it this summer (I can pay it but that's a big chunk of cash for a student working), brakes, tires, oil change, fix the a/c, and spark plugs. Not to mention I think my car is on it's stock suspension.

I just feel like that is silly for a used car, I mean I can pay it and whatever, but I just want some warranty haha!

I was kind of hoping to her some BMW sided views like Against subaru (aside from the interior sucking), like how against bmw people would mention high repair costs, electrical issues, and hpfp problems. I know bmw is better, but I just feel like this is a better financial decision because I would actually be saving money and who knows maybe in 3 years buy a new M3 haha
Old 05-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Better with Butter

Mein Auto: 335i sedan 6MT
Well....I'd kind of prefer the Evo X over the WRX, myself. If I had to go to one of the AWD rally racers, that is.

Sharper car than the WRX, IMO.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:48 PM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
I had a WRX loaner and it was a lot of fun to drive. A Cobb tuned STi is even better (my buddy has one). You have to work harder with the gears to find the power, but that just helps with the fun. The gear stick is a bit crap.
Also available in Alpine White...
Old 05-03-2012, 08:49 PM
David

Funny you should bring up the Evo I was cross shopping it again the WRX, I wasn't sure if the money was worth it. Plus I like the idea of having a 2.5 vs a 2.0, I guess it makes me think that it can take more? I'm probably wrong haha!

OHH, now I remember why I want the wrxd more than the EVO I want a 5 door I think it looks really cool!

Is the evo in a whole nother league or is it a personally preference thing? I do like the EVO GSR, crap now I have to think about more stuff
Old 05-03-2012, 08:51 PM
David

Yeah MRated I've heard the same thing, the short throw kit has been said to make the shifter a whole lot better!
Old 05-03-2012, 09:03 PM
Higher than you

Mein Auto: E92 335iS
I traded my 2010 STi for my 335is. The STi had aftermarket springs, sway bars, 3" exhaust, Cobb stg1, upgraded audio, etc. It was a great performing car when called upon, but for day to day driving, too much compromise in areas of comfort and quality feel compared to the BMW.

You really shouldn't have any serious problems with a new WRX, so making the move out of fear of upkeep costs on your Bimmer makes complete sense. There is no getting away from the econo-box interior though.

Last edited by wh00sh; 05-03-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post

VWolf, there is nothing wrong with taking a step back and re-grouping if you are over burdened. There are a lot of knowledegable people on this forum who applaud the WRX. Send a PM to THEHACK and see what he has to say about the WRX.

You are young and still in school. There is plenty of time in your future for a BMW on terms that don't leave you stressed and overextended.
Uhhh yeah I realize this..Thanks Teach
Old 05-03-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post

He stated he has 600 a month to spend and is not over extended...Didn't you notice teacher??

Last edited by Chop362; 05-03-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:42 PM

Mein Auto: E92 M3/E90 335i xDrive
I've driven the STI, thought the steering was a little slow, liked the EVO better (but it's clearly not as practical), but I think the $41,423 MSRP for building it the way I like it, is a little steep.

Mine

Hers

http://www.specialops.org/

Last edited by GVFlyer; 05-03-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:10 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
We recently sold my son's 2004 WRX. It's retail sticker was $26,100 in 8/2003 (I paid about $24,000) and we sold it for $12,500 8 1/2 years later. The car was clean with about 75,000 miles and it returned the best resale value of any car I have owned.

The car was also cheap to own and had no problems related to the car itself. The problems we did have resulted from modifications that my son did.

I would not hesitate to get another Subaru. I also really like the new body style for both the WRX and STi.

Current Stablemates:
'12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet; '11 BMW E93 335is; '08 BMW E60 535xi
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '67 MG Midget
Old 05-03-2012, 11:40 PM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
I've driven the STI, thought the steering was a little slow, liked the EVO better (but it's clearly not as practical), but I think the $41,423 MSRP for building it the way I like it, is a little steep.
Well I'd want the GSR so it's a bit cheaper, why isn't as practical the mpg and the space? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
We recently sold my son's 2004 WRX. It's retail sticker was $26,100 in 8/2003 (I paid about $24,000) and we sold it for $12,500 8 1/2 years later. The car was clean with about 75,000 miles and it returned the best resale value of any car I have owned.

The car was also cheap to own and had no problems related to the car itself. The problems we did have resulted from modifications that my son did.

I would not hesitate to get another Subaru. I also really like the new body style for both the WRX and STi.
Thanks a lot for the replies, I'm not dead set on it or anything, I just feel like I could save money and then buy a small house, instead of staying in the dorms

Quote:
He stated he has 600 a month to spend and is not over extended...Didn't you notice teacher??
Chop is a meanie

Last edited by VirtuousWolf; 05-03-2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:40 AM
Not a real doctor.

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
I bet the WRX will be fantastic.

A lot of people believe you should get your BS, MS, and PhD, all in different schools. In a way, you want to have a resume with a wide variety of cars in your past too, I think.

AMC station wagon (complete with simulated wood side panels)
Chevy Van
Honda del Sol
Honda Odyssey
BMW 328i

All great fun for what they were. (OK... so the Odyssey wasn't "fun" but it was a great vehicle.) You should have seen me drift in that RWD station wagon in the snow! What a blast!

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Ordered: 14Jan09; Delivered: 24Feb09 from Stratham, NH BMW
Old 05-04-2012, 04:57 AM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
It's a really decent (if not a bit ugly) car for the money and has the advantage of being a good tuning platform so you can play with it like the BMW. For STI money though, you can be driving a 135i also (just not with as many options) or even an 11 335i sedan with super low miles and a CPO warranty - just had a buddy pickup a loaded CPO 335i sedan 2011 with 15k miles for 35k - less than an STI and not much different than a loaded up WRX.

I prefer the Evo myself, but it isn't as cheap as the WRX, more in line with the STI price. Good luck with whatever you get, if I wanted to spend less, I would be looking at those cars also.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i coupe stick
Quote:
Hi I was just wondering what 3 series owners think about a WRX? I used to have a Saab and I think because of some of the problems I experienced when it started getting high in the mileage (110k), I am starting to get really paranoid about repairs with my bmw. My car is at 80k. Unfortunately I can't afford a new bmw at this time, but the WRX intrigues me. I could get a brand new one that would have warranty and be paying a couple dollars per month than I am paying right now for my car. My car has 80k miles on it, and I'm starting to freak out a bit.

I think a brand new WRX is the perfect car for you. Although, if you could somehow get your hands on a Subaru BRZ or Scion FR-S, that would probably be even better.

Last edited by boilers93; 05-04-2012 at 06:50 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:16 AM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
I love BMW!! In the correct places, for example walmart at night people stare at me and think it's a brand new car.
Quite commendable to step back a little as Kat says for the opportunity to own a newer BMW sometime down the line.

But your immediate goal should be to achieve a status in life where you don't feel compelled to go to Wal-Mart at night (or any other time for that matter). But being seen in a used Bimmer at Wal-Mart might be better than being seen in a brand-new WRX at say, the country club. You know what they say, "Being a big fish in a little pond is better than being a little fish in a big pond".

The best track day I ever had was when my S2000 was probably 2-3 years old. There was a modified WRX there, both of us on race tires, and we played tag for an entire session. One of us would lead until it was just too tiring holding the other car off, so we would swap places and go at it again, over and over. I don't even remember any other cars being the track. Lots of fun. What this has to do with you buying a new WRX I don't really know, but I have a fond memory every time I see a WRX.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 05-04-2012, 07:31 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
WRX is a bad ass car. Go for it

Though to be honest...you are choosing between BMW and WRX because you are not capable of spelling words more then three letters long?

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to pegscrapr Send a message via Yahoo to pegscrapr
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW R1200RT
I have an immaculate '11 GTI with Autobahn package I'll sell you. It's a manual, and has 27k miles on it. Stage 1 APR. $23,500.
If you're interested, send me a PM.