Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 128i convertible
BMW 128i crashed

Hi,

I recently had an accident and my 2011 128i car was crashed in front on the left side. I was very lucky i didn't get hurt but the whole front (left side) was crushed and went inside. If you look from front u cant see the half of the front side as it went (retracted) inside. Insurance didn't get back to me yet but is it possible to fix this car?

Even if they fix it will the car be good I mean I heard lot of stories in other forums that once the car shape is changed even u fix it the car will be not be stable like before ...is it true?
Ads by Google
Old 05-03-2012, 07:53 PM

Also is it better to go with the insurance (GEICO) preferred service center or with the dealer's service center where I purchased my car?
Old 05-03-2012, 11:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW E36 328i,
If you posted pics i dont see them. As long as you didnt get any frame damage everything else can be fixed. As long as where you take the car is certified in BMWs it should be fine. But if someones insurance company is paying for it then i would take it to the BMW dealership. It would get fixed properly, and would not affect the resale value as much a cheaper shop would.

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! #343!
Old 05-04-2012, 06:09 AM

I don't have the pics ... I should have taken it in the accident spot but i was so panicked and didn't do it ...

anyway what is meant by frame damage ??

so in case if the frame is damaged will the insurance company go for totaling?
Old 05-04-2012, 06:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 330 Ci ZHP
There is no frame in a 1 series, its a unibody. It may or may not be repairable depending on the degree of deformation. From the description it sounds heavily damaged and there is probably a lot of other damage beyond the sheet metal. Whether or not its considered totaled depends on if it can be repaired and how expensive the repairs will be versus the value of the car.
As to whether it will be good after repair, there's only 1 way to find out. I would personally avoid buying a used car that had suffered major damage.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:02 AM

Mein Auto: 128i convertible
There are body repair shops that are not car dealers that will do a better job on the repairs than most dealers would. You should ask your co-workers, neighbors, and friends if they know anybody on the list you have.

For the insurance company, this is just a money thing. If it cheaper to fix your car than pay you what it's worth that is what they will do. If it is cheaper to pay you, then they will go that route. You have little opportunity to influence it. If you want it scrapped, you could start to talk about needing new BMW parts to be used. They might have to anyway due to the age of the car but used parts are cheaper as are after-market parts. If they get convinced you will be a problem, they will be more inclined to pay you.

If another party is at fault (and if you are not sure, don't admit anything) then you also have medical claims to consider. I would just advise not signing anything quickly. I've never tried to get a settlement for this and have declined one when it was offered. I just want any expenses we have covered. Insurance companies want the claim closed and it is not uncommon for them to offer you money you didn't ask for just to close the claim. You have to sign a release, however, and if you need attention later they are off the hook. I refuse the money but keep them liable just-in-case we need some treatment.

Jim
Old 05-04-2012, 10:40 AM

Hi Jim,

Insurance guys got back to me and said that they can use the available market parts if i request to use the original BMW parts then i need to pay the difference between the market price and the original price. So now should i take it to the dealer and get the estimate?

Right now i asked him not to do anything bcoz once i get the estimate from Ins company then i can't take it anywhere.

any suggestion would be helpful.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingy81 View Post
Also is it better to go with the insurance (GEICO) preferred service center
Hellllll NO!!!!!

The Geico body shop will rob more parts from your car than it installs. Must to avoid.

Very shoddy work. I had to take an old 4 runner back 3 times. First they forgot to put back the bolts that connected the inside panel to the car. Then they refused to put back the working door lock that they took and instead, had to rob it from another Toyota instead of paying for a new one. Then I kept going back to get them to realign the door when I just eventually traded it in.

The GEICO adjuster was a crooked SOB too. I think I was supposed to tip him.

Bring your car to the dealer.

Last edited by pony_trekker; 05-04-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:31 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW E36 328i,
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingy81 View Post
Hi Jim,

Insurance guys got back to me and said that they can use the available market parts if i request to use the original BMW parts then i need to pay the difference between the market price and the original price. So now should i take it to the dealer and get the estimate?

Right now i asked him not to do anything bcoz once i get the estimate from Ins company then i can't take it anywhere.

any suggestion would be helpful.
This sounds sketch.

First, always always always get a quote for the repairs from the dealership using all OEM parts. The cost will be high yes, but its leverage. A car as new as yours should be repaired using OEM parts.

If your company is telling you that they will only pay for cheaper non OEM parts thats wrong. You have every right to have genuine BMW parts in your car. Tell them this. They can not force you to have your car fixed unless you consent (where i live anyway). My insurance company lets me use my own body shop because they are highly reputable and do excellent work.

Insurance companies are their to make money. By using cheap parts and crap labour at shoddy shops they make money but you lose in the end. If I was a prospective buyer of your car i would run the VIN. Upon finding out their was an accident I would want to see paperwork for the repair. I as a buyer wouldnt be turned off from the car providing the car was repaired properly and their was evidence to prove it. If i see they cheaped out and used a sub par shop for the work I would no longer consider the car. Take this in mind.

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! #343!
Old 05-06-2012, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto: 128i convertible
I still don't think going to the dealer is a guaranteed way to a better quality repair. I've never taken a car there for a body repair but I've gotten good service on a couple repairs from independent shops. I think the key is to get input from people who have used the place you are considering. You could also ask them for references. I doubt if GEICO has all shoddy places on their list but I've never used them.

Parts price difference shouldn't be that large and you do have the age of your car to argue with. A lot depends on your leverage. If it is your insurance that's paying, then you don't have any real leverage. If you push on them, they can raise your rates or cancel you. If it is the other parties policy paying, it is a totally different thing and you can quite possibly get what you want. They know they could be sued and don't want to waste time and money on that.

I would find a body shop the insurer will do business with that has a good reputation and if was my insurance, I'd probably pay the extra for the BMW parts and then switch to a more reputable insurance provider. It also matters your age and driving record. If you are young and get a few tickets and/or this is not your only wreck, you also don't have a lot of leverage. If you are older and with a clean record, other insurers will want you and you have more leverage.

Jim
Old 05-07-2012, 12:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 128i Convertible
I never had anything but great results from the insurance company recommended body shops. Geico and Progressive steered me to their recommended shops when my MINI was rear-ended and when I hit a deer. You'd never know either car was ever in an accident. I think it depends on where you live. Check out the recommended shops on your own first, then decide.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
The body doesn't sit on a frame (body on frame), but it does have frame rails.

If it is repairable do everything you can to make sure a Certified BMW Collision Repair Center does the work. Such centers are operated by Authorized BMW dealers. Most BMW dealers don't have one. You can find a list of them on www.bmwusa.com

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 05-09-2012, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i xdrive
I had an accident on my 135i some fender/bumper damage and a scraped wheel. I dropped the car off at the BMW service center. They sent it to their preferred/top-notch body shop. While the car is there, the repairmen will discuss the damage with the insurance claims adjuster to be sure that they get every penny they can from the insurance company to repair the vehicle. When I got the car back, it looked amazing and handled beautifully.

BTW, I had my accident in NJ where an elderly woman decided to switch lanes in front of me clipping my bumper.

Good luck