Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:54 AM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcsteve View Post
5 figures ... no. more like 6-9 grand depending on how far you go with it. thats with proper parts and proper tuning. you could cheap out and build a crappy setup for less.

there really isnt anything much you can do to an m20 to raise its performance that much. e34 boy would know that if he belonged in this section. they are good, reliable well performing cars, they are NOT race cars. unless of course you are racing in spec e30 or modding the car with lots of cash.
play nice steve. 9k isnt far off 10k... if you were doing it properly you could easily go over 10k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
they only advance the timing a couple degrees and add a tiny bit of fuel.
how do they advance timing on a non-vanos engine? or am i misreading something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 E34 View Post
Thats good news. S52 E30 is a dream car of mine. right behind an M70 E34 touring lol.
Now that E34 would be one very awesome E34

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Old 05-07-2012, 06:06 AM
On Top

Send a message via AIM to SWISS Send a message via Yahoo to SWISS
Mein Auto: E30 S52 / S52 M roady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethrty View Post
play nice steve. 9k isnt far off 10k... if you were doing it properly you could easily go over 10k.

how do they advance timing on a non-vanos engine? or am i misreading something?

Now that E34 would be one very awesome E34
He's talking ignition timing not valve timing bro.

I naturally disagree with Steve, I have less than 3 g's in my S52 E30 and post SC I plan on being well under 6K.

livin the dream

Old 05-07-2012, 06:11 AM
BMW CCA Memeber #445389

Mein Auto: M50 Big Body
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWISS View Post
He's talking ignition timing not valve timing bro.

I naturally disagree with Steve, I have less than 3 g's in my S52 E30 and post SC I plan on being well under 6K.

livin the dream
Thats awesome. I assume all thses S52 swaps are OBD1 conversions, right?

1995 525iA 250k mi
2003 350Z 88k mi
2014 F-150 0k mi

Instagram: @Titan_E34
Snapchat: Titan_E34
Old 05-07-2012, 02:45 PM
610EUROs

Mein Auto: 90' 24v, 89' 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethrty View Post
ive planned a turbo s52 out many times. everything from ecu to turbo. never did i get over 8k ... thats with a gt35r, 666 manifold and a full stainless exhaust. its not as expensive as alot of people claim/think it is. yes, if you try or pay out that arse for tuning you CAN run it well over 10k, but thats completely unnecessary.

9k on the high side(my estimate), is not close to 10k EASY.

build: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=382667
Old 05-07-2012, 03:19 PM
On Top

Quote:
Thats awesome. I assume all thses S52 swaps are OBD1 conversions, right?
Not me, I'm OBD2 Dinan stage 2 tune, 24Lb 4 pintle gen3 injectors and 3.5" MAF, headers. Running sims for rear O2's and had Technica delete the emissions stuff like purge valve and eg monitoring.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:04 PM
BMW CCA Memeber #445389

Quote:
Not me, I'm OBD2 Dinan stage 2 tune, 24Lb 4 pintle gen3 injectors and 3.5" MAF, headers. Running sims for rear O2's and had Technica delete the emissions stuff like purge valve and eg monitoring.
So it just tunes out the things people would swap like the purge valve and eg monitoring? What Ecu did you use with that? The one that comes with the motor and put a Dinan tune on it?

1995 525iA 250k mi
2003 350Z 88k mi
2014 F-150 0k mi

Old 05-07-2012, 04:20 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
Quote:
So it just tunes out the things people would swap like the purge valve and eg monitoring? What Ecu did you use with that? The one that comes with the motor and put a Dinan tune on it?
my neighbor has a late 90s m3 that he had converted to odb1, ecu reflashed, rear o2 sims, headers and stock exhaust. you just need to get with the right company to do it.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:38 PM
BMW CCA Memeber #445389

It's not so much having an OBD2 car switched to OBD1, it's more of having an OBD2 motor run of of a 413 Red label ECU in an OBD1 car. I had my E34 checked out by my dealer (free of charge ) and I mentioned wanting to go S50 in my e34 because the OBD1. He said "just go S54 and take the ECU with it, it's all standalone".

Which makes sense but 413red labels go for $50 if not cheaper, so making an S52 OBD1 would essentially be a plug an play

1995 525iA 250k mi
2003 350Z 88k mi
2014 F-150 0k mi

Old 05-07-2012, 06:06 PM
610EUROs

a dealer told you the s54 with ecu was standalone ??

don't go to that dealer again, ever.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:29 PM
On Top

Quote:
a dealer told you the s54 with ecu was standalone ??

don't go to that dealer again, ever.

The ECU had the tune when I bought it I had Technica flash out the emissions and EWS crap, Dinan leaves all that in the ECU so BMW is all happy.

The OBD1 Vs. OBD2 is a debate for another thread that is already 20+ pages on another forum. We won;t hash that out here but the idea of running a red label is only to avoid the EWS, the tune on it is usually made for the S52 or whatever engine you chose. I prefer OBD2 for more monitoring and the greater control the ECU has with the increased parameters. Now you can make an S54 run standalone, and swap one in your boat if you so choose, it just takes money. Bimmerworld sells the vanos controllers and chips you need to make it run for a few grand.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:40 PM
BMW CCA Memeber #445389

Quote:

The ECU had the tune when I bought it I had Technica flash out the emissions and EWS crap, Dinan leaves all that in the ECU so BMW is all happy.

The OBD1 Vs. OBD2 is a debate for another thread that is already 20+ pages on another forum. We won;t hash that out here but the idea of running a red label is only to avoid the EWS, the tune on it is usually made for the S52 or whatever engine you chose. I prefer OBD2 for more monitoring and the greater control the ECU has with the increased parameters. Now you can make an S54 run standalone, and swap one in your boat if you so choose, it just takes money. Bimmerworld sells the vanos controllers and chips you need to make it run for a few grand.
That's the exact answer I thought.
Perfect, thanks a ton. I'm leaving the M50 in "the boat" and I'm going to build up the E30. I'm sorry for the thread jack and instigating the OBD1/2 debate, didn't realize that was such a widely spread topic, I'll just find that thread and read into it. Again, thanks, I think I'm going to go for an S52 obd1 swap on a red label Ecu. It's just familiar to me and ill know more about diagnosing issues.

You E30 guys seriously know your sh*t with tuning haha, E34 guys aren't into that at all. Love this subforum.

FCSteve, that was what I thought when he told me, but it was just a tech making small talk with me. I think he meant that you can put ALL the guts and bits over (ECU, harness, motor, sensors, computers) and essentially swap the body and chassis lol. "anything is possible"

1995 525iA 250k mi
2003 350Z 88k mi
2014 F-150 0k mi

Old 05-07-2012, 07:24 PM
bennybenny

Mein Auto: e30 m50
Quote:
MarkD has been trying to take legal action against the ebay seller i buy my chips from for a long time .. because his chips are an exact copy of Mark's.

if Mark says they are an exact copy, i believe him.
hey steve. i've been looking for a decent chip from ebay for a while but don't know who's legit and who's not. who's your ebay seller? are they still selling these things?
Old 05-08-2012, 09:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1986 327is
Quote:
MarkD has been trying to take legal action against the ebay seller i buy my chips from for a long time .. because his chips are an exact copy of Mark's.

if Mark says they are an exact copy, i believe him.

Yeah, I had a long phone conversation with him about the situation a couple weeks ago. We have also dealt with file pirates on our GM tuning. Not all ebay chips are a copy of his. I have all the major chip files and have done file compares on them. Mark's chips (also AA, Bav, JimC etc) re-arrange the info and pointers on the chip and he uses his/their own definition files, he doesn't use files available on the internet. The ebay chips are not a direct copy and maps can be read using public definition files.

The people he is most concerned about are the ones putting stickers on the chip saying it's a MarkD chip and is a clone, and being sold as an original.

The other issue is, once you crack the chip writer's definition (scrambled code), you can copy the maps into your own file, but anyone who's smart enough to do that is smart enough to just make their own files.

The 1986 325es Delphin project LINK

Project 1988 325i sedan "Pinky" LINK
Old 05-08-2012, 10:13 AM
610EUROs

i didnt say all of them are copy's of Mark's chips. but almost all of them are copys of the bigger name chips. more then a dozen people on the different forums have tested them and come back with the same result. nothing against your expierence and im not even sayign this just to disagree with you, but if more then 20+ people have tested and come back to say the same thing. i'm going to believe them.

Mark was going after an ebay seller who never sold any chip i recieved with a MarkD sticker on it. not even a MarkD mention in any of his listings. never even said anything about MarkD when i asked him a few years ago how he got the tune. he told me it was just a generic tune. i didn't even know they were copy's of Mark's chips till he decided to post the sellers name all over the internet and tell the world he is selling copys of his obnoxously priced $200+ chips for less then $30 shipped. i had purchased 5 chips over a period of 5 years from the guy and never knew. once Mark publicly called him out, i ordered 2 more chips for my cars.

IMO .. if someone is copying your stuff and selling it for a near 90% discounted price, but nobody knows. why would you EVER tell the general public about it ? your plan of action against the seller should be as private as can be. to avoid other potiental buyers from flooding the cheaper guy with sales and you losing alot of sales.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:15 AM
610EUROs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennybenny View Post
hey steve. i've been looking for a decent chip from ebay for a while but don't know who's legit and who's not. who's your ebay seller? are they still selling these things?
i keep his name to myself, sorry. not lookign to get into any crying drama from MarkD or anyone else who thinks buyign from the ebay seller is wrong.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:44 PM
bennybenny

Mein Auto: e30 m50
Quote:
i keep his name to myself, sorry. not lookign to get into any crying drama from MarkD or anyone else who thinks buyign from the ebay seller is wrong.
fair enough i suppose. guess i'll just go for one that looks more legit than the rest.
good spelling and grammar in their ad will be my starting point
Old 05-08-2012, 10:10 PM

Mein Auto: 1990 bmw 325i
if you find a good one, please post it in here. i am looking for a good chip and i dont care if i do have to pay a little more. i want something that works