Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Motorsports, Racing & Track

Motorsports, Racing & Track
From Formula One to Auto-X, discuss everything related to going fast here...

Old 05-30-2004, 06:38 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:

-
Old 05-30-2004, 06:38 AM
Awesome power!

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpin Weiss 335ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Baumann
No, the middle is reserved for red cars only
Yes, it certainly seems that way. Congrats.

2007 BMW 335ci, Alpin Weiss, saddle brown, SP, PP (tree trim), Step, hot seats. Mod free. As pictured: on SSR GT1s with Goodyear F1s. AKA "White Lightnin'"
2012 Mini Cooper Hardtop S in chili red with white mirrors, top and racing stripes. AKA "Big Red S."
Euro Delivery pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/berford/GermanyAndSwitzerland2007?authkey=uGnlSSrqMTY
Old 05-30-2004, 06:39 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by berford
Yes, it certainly seems that way. Congrats.
No.

-
Old 05-30-2004, 06:42 AM
Ex-Dictator

Mein Auto: Saab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick 520iAT
No.

-

OK, beautiful weather outside and I'm invited to a BBQ party.

See ya later

Buh Bye !!
Old 05-30-2004, 06:45 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
No.

-
Old 05-30-2004, 06:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 E92 M3/'11 X6 3.5
Quote:
No.

-
Make 'em piss in the yard.

SteveT
2008 E92 M3 - SSII/Fox Red
2011X6 3.5 - AW/Red/Alcantara/Leather
BMW CCA
Old 05-30-2004, 06:57 AM
95NU>*

Mein Auto: '04 Imola/Cinn M3
Quote:
Not quite yet; but what is there to cheer about in that, anyway?
sarcasm
Old 05-30-2004, 07:05 AM
I reject your reality

Mein Auto: 02 Trulli-Leopard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Baumann
LOL! I just peed my pants, as Michael was lapping Montoya
Old 05-30-2004, 07:13 AM

Mein Auto: 325i
Well, I re-itterate what I said before...I hope Michael catches a cold or the flu on the way to Canada. Remove him from the mix today and it would have been a pretty eventful race. I'm paying a fortune for my hotel this year and I don't want to see another Michael Sunday drive. What's the chance that Mercedes can get their act together in 2 weeks?
Old 05-30-2004, 07:14 AM

Speed Channel is missing a big opportunity. They need to change the Enzyte commercials for F1 to SMILING MICHAEL.

SteveT
BMW CCA
Old 05-30-2004, 07:21 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard
Well, I re-itterate what I said before...I hope Michael catches a cold or the flu on the way to Canada. Remove him from the mix today and it would have been a pretty eventful race. I'm paying a fortune for my hotel this year and I don't want to see another Michael Sunday drive. What's the chance that Mercedes can get their act together in 2 weeks?
MP-19 B being tested for three days at Silverstone starting Tuesday.

I miss Häkä more than ever right now. Today's race was just another boring race in a series of boring FIAT dominated races.

-
Old 05-30-2004, 07:22 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT
Speed Channel is missing a big opportunity. They need to change the Enzyte commercials for F1 to SMILING MICHAEL.

-
Old 05-30-2004, 07:24 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Strange that are no threads in this forum about the newly adopted engine displacement rules for 2006.

Anyone?

2.4 liter V8 engines.

Comments?

-
Old 05-30-2004, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Strange that are no threads in this forum about the newly adopted engine displacement rules for 2006.

Anyone?

2.4 liter V8 engines.

Comments?

-

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61979

To clasp the hands in prayer is the beginning of an uprising against the disorder of the world.
Old 05-30-2004, 07:31 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:

Once again proving WHY I do not start threads about anything other than the weather or pie.

-
Old 05-30-2004, 07:32 AM
95NU>*

This year is just dumbfounding in respect to the performance of McLaren and Williams. After last year they both had extremely competitive cars with the BMW-Williams package being arguably the quickest one on the grid at the end of the year. Why did they each try to overreach so far with the engineering in the offseason after that? I just don't understand it. Ferrari stayed the course and continued to develop their package and they are reaping the rewards of, I guess, common sense.
Old 05-30-2004, 07:34 AM

Quote:

Anyone?

2.4 liter V8 engines.

Comments?

-
If this happens I think BMW will be gone. Mario Theissen has said that this won't save any money and BMW is interested in promoting the V-10. Converting to a new engine formula would cost the engine manufacturers a large sum of money. I don't see the point. Take the carbon brakes away, make them brake sooner and don't let the tire manufacturers bring as many compounds so they are forced to use harder tires. They could also increase the number of races to remove the open time for testing.

SteveT
BMW CCA
Old 05-30-2004, 07:41 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
They could also increase the number of races to remove the open time for testing.
A 20+ race season is coming next.

-
Old 05-30-2004, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 325i
How about a new turbo era. 1000hp out of a 4 banger. Now that's technology. Of course BMW's rocket fuel didn't hurt.
Old 05-30-2004, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLIA///M
This year is just dumbfounding in respect to the performance of McLaren and Williams. After last year they both had extremely competitive cars with the BMW-Williams package being arguably the quickest one on the grid at the end of the year. Why did they each try to overreach so far with the engineering in the offseason after that? I just don't understand it. Ferrari stayed the course and continued to develop their package and they are reaping the rewards of, I guess, common sense.
This should be a thread by itself. Pick up the May issue of F1 Racing and take a look at Steve Matchett's article "A Wolf in Wolf's Clothing". Ferrari has had a successful platform since the F2001 that hasn't changed too much. It's undergone significant development, but retains it's basic concept. That's a lot of engineering over 4 or 5 years. Both Williams and McLaren are looking for the innovation that gets them closer to Ferrari. You could argue that the FW25 wasn't so far away or the MP4-17D for that matter, but they both took new directions in the attempt to leap over the F2004. Williams is developing the FW26 and making progress. Their luck has been pretty poor for the last few races so it's hard to tell where they might be. Look at BAR and Renault, they are both working with existing platforms. The BAR is Geoff Willis's development of the FW24 with an improved Honda motor and Michelin tires. The FW24 goes back a few years too. It all comes down to manhours with innovation mixed in.

SteveT
BMW CCA
Old 05-30-2004, 08:37 AM
Awesome power!

Quote:
No.

-
Don't get the idea I like the idea of the F-team being on the podium at all. But they do deserve congratulations, I think, especially for this race. Different strategies resulting in another 1-2 finish is an amazing feat, IMO. You gotta respect that.

2007 BMW 335ci, Alpin Weiss, saddle brown, SP, PP (tree trim), Step, hot seats. Mod free. As pictured: on SSR GT1s with Goodyear F1s. AKA "White Lightnin'"
2012 Mini Cooper Hardtop S in chili red with white mirrors, top and racing stripes. AKA "Big Red S."
Euro Delivery pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/berford/GermanyAndSwitzerland2007?authkey=uGnlSSrqMTY
Old 05-30-2004, 08:41 AM
Awesome power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard
What's the chance that Mercedes can get their act together in 2 weeks?
That would be about ZERO.

Old 05-30-2004, 09:06 AM
Awesome power!

Quote:
This should be a thread by itself. Pick up the May issue of F1 Racing and take a look at Steve Matchett's article "A Wolf in Wolf's Clothing". Ferrari has had a successful platform since the F2001 that hasn't changed too much. It's undergone significant development, but retains it's basic concept. That's a lot of engineering over 4 or 5 years. Both Williams and McLaren are looking for the innovation that gets them closer to Ferrari. You could argue that the FW25 wasn't so far away or the MP4-17D for that matter, but they both took new directions in the attempt to leap over the F2004. Williams is developing the FW26 and making progress. Their luck has been pretty poor for the last few races so it's hard to tell where they might be. Look at BAR and Renault, they are both working with existing platforms. The BAR is Geoff Willis's development of the FW24 with an improved Honda motor and Michelin tires. The FW24 goes back a few years too. It all comes down to manhours with innovation mixed in.

I've been thinking much the same. I think the FW25 would be more competitive than the 26. Talk about luck...with just a little, they would have had the constructor's win last year. But then, the lame duck team thing may be a significant contribution to this year's lack luster performance, too. I do think, though, that having no poles is indicative of the car and not so much driver attitudes.

Old 05-30-2004, 09:26 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Don't get the idea I like the idea of the F-team being on the podium at all. But they do deserve congratulations, I think, especially for this race. Different strategies resulting in another 1-2 finish is an amazing feat, IMO. You gotta respect that.
No.

-
Old 05-30-2004, 09:35 AM
95NU>*

Quote:
I've been thinking much the same. I think the FW25 would be more competitive than the 26. Talk about luck...with just a little, they would have had the constructor's win last year. But then, the lame duck team thing may be a significant contribution to this year's lack luster performance, too. I do think, though, that having no poles is indicative of the car and not so much driver attitudes.
As I posted in the other thread they are testing a 3/4 scale single keel front in the new wind tunnel now. I think that's pretty much an admission that this experiment with the twin keel and the tusks has been a flop. I'm starting to think that BMW would be better off having a go at doing it all themselves like Renault.