Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:25 PM

Mein Auto: 750Li
750Li Trans Fluid

I have a 06 750Li and I am going to attempt to change the transmission oil pan and gasket because it is leaking. Has anyone changed the transmission fluid and oil pan on the 7 Series? If so what type of fluid is correct for this car? I have read about a few different types but I'm still unsure as to which one is the correct type other than the dealership brand.
Ads by Google
Old 05-05-2012, 08:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 745i
The best fluid in my opinion is Redline D4. It exceeds BMW spec and it's synthetic (unlike Castrol Multi Vehicle).

As for DIY? Don't do it. Way too many steps which require a computer, all four wheels off the ground, the car in drive while you add fluid which must be done at a specific operating temperature to avoid underfilling/overfilling, etc. I'm a die hard diy guy, but not on this one.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:27 PM

Mein Auto: 05' BMW 745i,
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfrog View Post
The best fluid in my opinion is Redline D4. It exceeds BMW spec and it's synthetic (unlike Castrol Multi Vehicle).

As for DIY? Don't do it. Way too many steps which require a computer, all four wheels off the ground, the car in drive while you add fluid which must be done at a specific operating temperature to avoid underfilling/overfilling, etc. I'm a die hard diy guy, but not on this one.
Thank you for that info. I was considering it also.. Nix that idea..

Sent from my EVO using Bimmer App

Old 05-06-2012, 12:45 AM
Maintainin'

Mein Auto: 2006 750Li
I changed mine a few months back and in my opinion the best and approved fluid for your car would be ZF Lifeguard Fluid. You can get it from any Indy at significantly high cost compared to ordering it online. I ordered a complete Xmission oil change kit from here check them out if you buy the kit I suggest you get 1 additional quart just in case.

Last edited by gmcclintock; 05-06-2012 at 12:58 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfrog View Post

+1 just had my Indy shop do it.....wasn't trying to DIY on this one with Redline D4

2005 745LI

Black on Black
Sports Pack
Comfort Acces
Rear Entertainment Pack
Convenience Pack
Premium Sound Pack
BTUM9000
3M Tint - 20%
Akebono Brake Pads
Blacked Out Grille
Smoked Taillights
ACS Roof Spoiler
MTEC V3
MTEC D1S 6000K
MTEC H9 4750K Fogs
Old 05-06-2012, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 745i
Do not attempt this yourself. I would find a good Indy who is willing to do it. Make sure that he knows how to hook up the temperature, run through the gears and follow the procedure. Purchase the kit yourself and bring it in.

You will probably save about $200-$400 from the dealer, but IMO, I would probably go straight to the dealer at this point. Although make sure you have the shop foreman go out for a drive with you if the car is shifting properly first before you do anything. (Here is the reason, someone went in for a leak @ the dealership. The BMW dealership told them that the transmission has gone out. Still no response from forum member on what that really means). So if the tranny is shifting fine, it should be shifting fine after the pan, gasket and new ZF Fluid. The car may have to be reprogrammed. Go into the dealership and talk to a SA first before moving forward. Explain to them that the car is shifting fine and this is what you want done. I have a friend who worked for BMW and he stated that sometimes people run into problems. You do not want to go back and have the dealer tell you that the fluid change was not the culprit. Now you are stuck. Good luck and keep us posted. I would not touch this myself. You could strip a bolt. Underfill the fluid, etc.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Maintainin'

Bro if you are "mechanically incline" (know your way around a car) you can do it yourself I did it with my 16yr old son and he did most of the work as I just read the DIY instructions to him that I go from this site. I was a mechanic in the military for 8 years based on that I am confident that this job can be done by anyone with the right tools. However if you had problems with your car's xmission I would follow BMWNY's advice but if your car runs great and you just want to change the fluid because you want to do it then go right ahead, and remember to get an extra quart just in case your under fill it the first time.

Fill it up drive it around make sure the care is at operating temp then check it to make sure you put the right amount of fluids in there its a very simple job all you need is a vampire pump or a pump bucket hope you know what those are. Goog luck
Old 05-06-2012, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: 760 Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyb View Post
I have a 06 750Li and I am going to attempt to change the transmission oil pan and gasket because it is leaking. Has anyone changed the transmission fluid and oil pan on the 7 Series? If so what type of fluid is correct for this car? I have read about a few different types but I'm still unsure as to which one is the correct type other than the dealership brand.

Who diagnosed for you that the pan and the gasket are leaking? Chances are that it is your mechatronic sealing sleeve. Fluid leak from the sleeve trickles down the tranny housing and then it will appear as if you have a bad pan gasket. Regardless of whether it is the pan gasket or not, please do yourself a favor and replace the sleeve as well. Otherwise, it will NOT be long before you drop the pan again to get to the sleeve.

This is definitely a DIY only and only if you are mechanically inclined. I did it myself about 4 months ago. The biggest hustle would be lack of a lift because you'll need the car on a level ground and trust me, it sucks to use jack stands.

The other critical procedure would be the top off process that needs the tranny fluid to be at a certain operating temperature. That means, if it gets beyond the optimal range, there are possibilities of over and/ or underfilling it. Not good in the long run.

What I would recommend though is buy the tranny kit as suggested by 'gmcclintock'. The exact kit for your car would cost $241, see below link;

http://www.thectsc.com/index.php?p=p...=186&parent=50

As for the sealing sleeve, this is what you need;

http://www.thectsc.com/index.php?p=p...&id=3&parent=9

You can attempt it yourself, or negotiate with the Indy for a flat rate labor fee of approximately $200-$300 then supply all the parts.

Decision is yours. Good luck.

Last edited by pkathee; 05-06-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 750i
The only officially sanctioned fluid for these transmissions is ZF Lifeguard Fluid 6. People have been successful using others like Redline D4, Castrol Multi Import, and Pentosin ATF1. I did the pan and sleeve last summer, and I would not do it again without a lift and electric pump for refilling.

It's not an impossible job, but there is much more to it than doing engine oil or something like that.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:23 PM
Maintainin'

^^^^ +1