Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 06-27-2012, 05:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithS View Post
It may be all in my head but after the recall it seems as the shift points have been programmed higher for light/medium acceleration. This would easily explain a drop in city MPG while not impacting highway MPG.
It has to re-adapt to your driving style. Now the real question for me would be how often does it re-evaluate it's adaptation? Because if you think about it a lot of people baby their cars when they first get them but as they get more comfortable they treat them less like babies. So if it simply adapts when first reset then I'd imagine shifting points and what ever else it changes would be soft/low/light due to it adapting when a person is still treating the car gently. But if a reset happens well into ownership, such as after this recall and it's software update, then a person is not being near as gentle with their driving style and not it will adapt to that. But of course if it is constantly adapting then none of that matters. I have been told many times with my truck it just adapts after a reset, that may not be a true statement but regardless the BMW I'd hope is light years ahead in how it does things v. my truck.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: 'BMW 335d, Audi A3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithS View Post
It may be all in my head but after the recall it seems as the shift points have been programmed higher for light/medium acceleration. This would easily explain a drop in city MPG while not impacting highway MPG.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
It has to re-adapt to your driving style. Now the real question for me would be how often does it re-evaluate it's adaptation? Because if you think about it a lot of people baby their cars when they first get them but as they get more comfortable they treat them less like babies. So if it simply adapts when first reset then I'd imagine shifting points and what ever else it changes would be soft/low/light due to it adapting when a person is still treating the car gently. But if a reset happens well into ownership, such as after this recall and it's software update, then a person is not being near as gentle with their driving style and not it will adapt to that. But of course if it is constantly adapting then none of that matters. I have been told many times with my truck it just adapts after a reset, that may not be a true statement but regardless the BMW I'd hope is light years ahead in how it does things v. my truck.
I always felt that the auto held gears too long and set the shift points at too high rpms. So I typically force upshifts in manual mode. However based on what folks have written on this thread about programming the auto and my perception that driving in manual would not reprogram the auto, after the recall I let the auto do the shifting driving the D gently as possible. While doing that I did notice a substantial improvement over my economy before the recall. But I couldn't sustain driving in that style. I might as well be driving a Prius.

Now I drive the D less conservatively and my mileage is slightly lower than before the recall - which, as others have stated, could be attributed to the AC working harder in the very hot weather. And I believe AC compressors draw more power at higher ambient temperatures.

Retired:
'07 A3
'01 Acura TL
'93 Miata b Candy Apple red, AC, Factory hardtop
'90 Audi V8q
'87 Audi 5000 auto
'84 Audi 5000 5sp
'81 Audi 4000 4E
'80 VW Diesel Wabbit
'78 Camaro LT ttops
'73 MGB
'69 VW Fastback
Old 06-27-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boooomer View Post
Now I drive the D less conservatively and my mileage is slightly lower than before the recall - which, as others have stated, could be attributed to the AC working harder in the very hot weather. And I believe AC compressors draw more power at higher ambient temperatures.
Others have stated in the past on here that when they do not run their AC they see a noticeable improvement in mpg. I always thought that was crazy to happen given how much technology has improved over the years. I do not live in an environment though where I am going to be willing to experiment with the idea either.

Whenever I get my car back I should be able to easily tell if a drop happens and stays. I have all the data from fillups for the past couple of years so simple enough to compare to prior years at the same time period.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:11 PM
Speed Demon

Mein Auto: '10 335d E90
Mine went in this morning for the SIB as well as whatever maintenance is due. Additionally, I've been hearing some squeaking under light braking...dunno if they are finally due (I'm hoping, as my rotors are warped, and I've been putting out on swapping them out for far too long).

Side note: Anyone have any problems with their sunroof not wanting to close under auto (push forward and let it close by itself)? I've had to reset mine numerous times as of late, even though there are no obstructions. Haven't been able to figure out what's causing it, and a reset of the sunroof always fixes it.

This is my EGR. Master tech told me this is pretty standard. And my front brakes, which are not...lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	egr.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	330853   Click image for larger version

Name:	brakes.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	330983  

Last edited by Stugots; 06-28-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:49 AM

I talked to my SA, and he asked me to bring the car back to him next Saturday
i.e. July 9.
I told him that city mpg has dropped quite a bit to like 22 mpg, I used to get like
26-27. I will let everyone know what happens next.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:15 PM
Speed Demon

Mein Auto: '10 335d E90
This is what ended up getting done to my car:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo (2).jpg
Views:	151
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	331114  
Old 07-04-2012, 06:33 AM

Got mine back finally, turned out the SA quit at some point(I talked to him early last week) when the car was there, that is the second SA at this dealership that I had and quit. Anyway, have four pages of things for this car but it was there for an SES and maintenance on top of the recall. For the recall it has a lot of parts listed and in the notes it says they "removed and replaced outdated EGR, SCR, and MIXER". It also says they replaced a metering unit for the DEF but the way it reads makes it sound like that was part of a recall, I had two recalls when I showed up. Flushed the brake fluid and replaced the microfilter(seems like they replace this every time my car is there and they do it under maintenance). They replaced the SCR recirculating pump due to the SES light as well as some supply module.

Last edited by Snipe656; 07-04-2012 at 06:35 AM.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:08 AM
Old Fester

Mein Auto: e46 330i + e90 335d
Had the recall SIB 110412 taken care of for my 335d yesterday. Same day service. Invoice showed parts EGR valve, O-Ring and rubber seal. Nothing else.

FWIW, my 2011 D was built in Nov. 2010.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:11 PM

Mein Auto: 335d
The recall work on my 335d was completed late yesterday. I couldn't get to the dealership in time to pick it up yesterday and did a double take when they said that they were going to be open on the 4th of July.

In terms of the recall:

- EGR Valve
- O-ring
- Rubber Seal

SES light came on on my way to the dealer (code 4AF6 and 4596 Injector #3)

- Replace RMFD Injector
- Profile Gasket x 2

Haven't had a chance to really compare performance or mileage yet. I did notice when I got home that the Vehicle Inspection item on the service menu was red with a due date of 11/2011. Not sure if I'll need to have the dealer re-set it or if it will re-set itself.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: 335d, FIAT 500 Abarth
They kept my car for a week (didn't have the parts in stock), but I did have a few other things for them to check. They also flushed the brake fluid and replaced the A/C microfilter. Also had to get two new tires (runflats).

Although my car is a 2009 there were two SIB numbers on the order (18 02 02 and 18 04 12). The parts were:

EGR valve
Hex screw w/coll (4)
Rubber seal
Collar nut (2)
O-ring
Gasket (2)
Muffler clamp
Remanufactured exhaust pipe C
Clamping bush (2)
ISA screw w/washer (2)
Hex nut w/flange
Metering unit
Mixer

That seems a bit more involved than I expected, particularly the remfg exhaust pipe.

When I got home I noticed the particle burn-off cycle smelled a lot stronger than usual, which I expected; I haven't noticed much difference in the feel of the transmission but am getting the worst fuel consumption ever - it is hovering between 21-23 MPG. Normally I expect to see at least 28 with my typical driving pattern (the steep hills and city traffic here really kill the MPGs). I'll give it a while to see if it comes back up.

I know they reprogrammed the computer but but luckily all of my programmed presets were intact.

I had a brand new 328i loaner during the week... it was a nice car with lots of interesting things to like, but lots to dislike as well. It did feel light as a feather (pro: agile, con: 'skittish'), whereas the "d" feels like it is planted on rails. In almost every regard, I prefer my 2009 "d"!

Last edited by JŠnos; 07-04-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335d
Based on responses to this thread, it sounds like doing the recall results in diminished mileage (MPG) and some performance changes (higher revs at lower speeds). These may reduce the longevity of the transmission and engine.

So far, I have seen/heard nothing from BMW on this thread beyond the recall parts replaced and reprogramming. It sounds like doing the recall has a negative impact and should be avoided. What do you thing?
Old 07-08-2012, 10:18 AM

My car does not seem to drive any different. I have not finished the current tank of fuel but the mpg does not seem outside the normal range based upon distance traveled and ignoring whatever the car is saying.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaBahn View Post
So far, I have seen/heard nothing from BMW on this thread beyond the recall parts replaced and reprogramming. It sounds like doing the recall has a negative impact and should be avoided. What do you thing?
I think a new, improved EGR valve means that it won't fail at some point, throw codes and mean you have to pay to get a new one installed to return drivability to your car. Also, if the catalyst(s) get destroyed because of an EGR failure, you're out really big bucks.

And if you like SES lights, not replacing the SCR mixer is just for you.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:01 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335d
Thanks Snipe656! Good input... I love my 335d and want to keep it that way!

Thanks Floydarogers, the good news is all I need for my 2011 is a new EGR and a software update (I won't need the SCR mixer). As for the EGR, unless BMW is doing something different, this should not impact the catalytic converter, but will definitely throw an SES.

It is the software update that I am most concerned about. Adjusting shift-points and changing fuel mix to compensate for something I don't understand makes me a bit suspicious. Could this be a design flaw or is it a component failure? Component failure can easily be overcome with replacement parts. However, a known design flaw may be subject to more substantial scrutiny and the costs to rectify it may be borne by the company - I would rather do that after they figure out a good fix.

Other companies (e.g., Daimler/Chrysler with their Jeep Liberty CRD) have not been forthcoming and have lost considerable market share. By being cautious like I am now, I saved myself considerable heartache and my Jeep CRD is happily headed over 120K miles with the performance still high (something other Jeep CRD owners envy since their vehicles were re-tuned to get them past the 3 year/36K mile warranty).
Old 07-08-2012, 12:25 PM

The shift points in mine are right back to where they always have been. I think it was a little different for a day or two, my guess a couple hundred miles if that while it re-learned things but this is exactly what happened the last time I took the car in for programming that caused the car to loose most of my settings.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:28 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Thanks Floydarogers, the good news is all I need for my 2011 is a new EGR and a software update (I won't need the SCR mixer). As for the EGR, unless BMW is doing something different, this should not impact the catalytic converter, but will definitely throw an SES.
You aren't thinking this through all the way. EGR is used to reduce the O2 in the combustion chamber, which reduces the amount of NOx produced. Both catalysts (the one in the canister with the DPF, and the SCR one) reduce the remainder of NOx. If you have too much NOx for them to reduce, you're going to get an SES due to excess NOx (or you'll use a lot of DEF.)

Quote:
It is the software update that I am most concerned about. Adjusting shift-points and changing fuel mix to compensate for something I don't understand makes me a bit suspicious. Could this be a design flaw or is it a component failure? Component failure can easily be overcome with replacement parts.
Looking at the EGR valve pics in other threads, they're pretty carbonned up. I wouldn't put it beyond the realm of possibilities that they decided to change the operational parameters of the EGR and other components (possibly even keeping revs high in lower gears) to help prevent this. Remember, one main difference between the US and EU M57 engine is "positive control" of the EGR, swirl flaps, and other emission-related control valves.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:25 AM

Just got to the shop for egr and a/c replacement ,will see what the SA has to say to me in the next few minutes

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Bimmer App
Old 07-09-2012, 05:57 AM

Just picked up a pre-owned 2011 335d with 10500 miles on about a week ago. After having it a week the SES light came on this past Sat. While at work this AM I grabbed our OBD scanner to see what the code was. It pulled the P20EE code. Looks like the new recall should take care of this. I have a service appt set for next Monday so hopefully this all gets resolved. I may call the dealer today to just make sure they have the parts in stock. Love this car...regardless of the SES light and recall.
Had a 2010 Jetta TDI prior to this and VW spent the better part of 2 years trying to fix issues on the TDIs prior to the 2010 model year. They threw all kinds or parts at the problems with the TDI emissions and SES lights. By the time I bought my TDI all they did was a software update and we never had a problem in the 3 years we had it.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:06 AM

After the major recall, my mpg has dropped by almost +7-12 mpg, driving under similar condtions, proper tire pressures, also putting the same diesel fuel at the same gas station.
The most I got was like 25-28mpg on highway and like 19-22mpg in the city.
I am quite shocked. The car is back at the dealer and they said they will re-program. I will post my results.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:26 AM

Something I have noticed is seems like regens are happening a lot more often. My mileage did drop some but only been one tank since done so hard to judge considering summer time driving conditions are not consistent for me.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:32 AM

Here is a snapshot showing my mpg for the last handful of fillups. The 26.x being the tank when the recall was done. Those 3x.x ones prior to the recall are out of the norm for me. I am usually in the 29.x range as shown by the average at the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1341840738.730296.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	332226  
Old 07-09-2012, 11:37 AM

@ Snipe, Im lucky to get 21-24 mpg city since 90% of my driving in the metro area of Puerto Rico, but low and behold whenever I go traveling out of the metro to the rest of the island I can get anywhere from 36-40 mpg Hwy. BTW, where did you get that program on your phn, is it avail thru Android download or what?
Old 07-09-2012, 11:40 AM

Not sure if an Android version exists. I saw a nice Android one by someone else. if I find a link to it then I will shoot it over to you.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:48 PM

Thanks,btw I was given a rental(Nissan Versa) and car supposedly will be ready and reflashed by BMW tomorrow

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Bimmer App
Old 07-10-2012, 02:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535d M-Sport
My quick report, (after the recall) is no unusual surprises. Minimum was done; the EGR, O-ring, seal, re-program, and wiper blade replace. They kept my car two full days due to a heavy work load; which was OK since they gave me a brand new 328i "luxury" level loaner.

I was glad to get the new 4 cyl turbo and had the "time" to really get the feel for the new machine. My impressions were similiar to Janos in his post above; a "light" feeling car with an amazingly fluid and supple suspension. More for "comfort" than my sport-suspended 335d, but still a refined ride for the new iteration of the "Three Series." The new electrical steering is light- well, too light for my taste. The "heads up" display is helpful, but not something I really need... New 4 cyl turbo feels strong, but of course revs slightly higher than the M57, for given road speeds.

On return of my own car, initial impressions are shift points seem slightly higher from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3, etc. MPG not appreciably less, but still on first load of fuel. Lost the radio station pre-sets which always happens on re-program/reflash; one oddity is that while I lost my "favorites" in song settings, all 22 songs still appear in the "manage favorites" list. No complaints; the car runs strong, fast and I still like it better than the 2012 'luxury' 328i. Yes, they did ask me if I wanted to "trade in the 335d," saying "we have a lot of ppl who want that car!" Yeah, like me!