Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 07-25-2012, 01:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by JŠnos View Post
No, I don't experience that. Hmm, none of my presets were wiped out with the reprogramming, unlike what a lot of others experienced. Did yours?
My radio settings stayed but things that did not(and I noticed) were the alarm settings and temperature units.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:35 PM
Go Bruins!

Mein Auto: 2012 F30
My presets were wiped out with the reprogramming. Incidentally enough, I've had no other problems with the car after reprogramming, even getting a increase in MPG for me. I couldn't believe it but it is what fuelly says.

Quote:
No, I don't experience that. Hmm, none of my presets were wiped out with the reprogramming, unlike what a lot of others experienced. Did yours?

Seems like I got a lot more parts replaced, less invasive programming (if that is even possible!) and no gremlins other than the lowered MPG. Wierd.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: 335d, FIAT 500 Abarth

That's looking a bit low, pretty much how mine was. It was lopsided enough to make me crazy every time I walked by it.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:

That's looking a bit low, pretty much how mine was. It was lopsided enough to make me crazy every time I walked by it.
That is my "before" picture. It not only is low but is way over to the right. The other tailpipe was off too but not as much. I thought for certain they bent something but they managed to get it back to "normal" via adjusting the clamps.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: 335d
Hopefully That exhaust protrusion is exaggerated by the photo angle otherwise unimaginable that they would debate you about this.

Proof that one needs to record a video of the car at drop off. Good grief! Where's the craftsmanship? I know I know not working at a dealer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Bimmer App
Old 07-25-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dThree35 View Post
Hopefully That exhaust protrusion is exaggerated by the photo angle otherwise unimaginable that they would debate you about this.

Proof that one needs to record a video of the car at drop off. Good grief! Where's the craftsmanship? I know I know not working at a dealer.

My picture makes it look better than how it really was.

They did not really argue with me. But I went in with pictures from under the car and a concern that they bent the pipe feeding my passenger muffler. They showed me on a 335i that pipe is bent from the factory. I then asked if they could show me on a diesel. They ha a 335d with a cratered motor(loaner car someone blasted into high water with). The uboat has the same bend. The root problem was needing to adjust clamps that they put in near the mufflers and for adjustments due to replacing the cat.

Overall they were very professional about it. I simply just showed up and asked for the service manager. The service manager is who gave me my car after the recall. I explained my concern and showed my pictures. He has the shop foremon look at almost immediately. Within 30 minutes they explained the issue. Another hour or so and they had it adjusted and showed me that and the other cars. I pointed out they were still low when compared to the other cars. Another hour and they had it right. The foremon then rode around the block with me to wittness my dash rattle but of course that is the day the rattle left.

Last edited by Snipe656; 07-25-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:23 PM

Btw I also learned a replacement motor on these cars is $20k. That customers insurance company must not be happy.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:26 PM

Mein Auto: 335d
Ok, thanks for the explanation on your exhaust repair. Sounds like it wasn't too painful for you.

I recently drove a black 335d loaner from Advantage. Not through water though!

Old 07-25-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dThree35 View Post
Ok, thanks for the explanation on your exhaust repair. Sounds like it wasn't too painful for you.

I recently drove a black 335d loaner from Advantage. Not through water though!

This loaner was some silver color. Sounded like the guy was a real jerk about it. Picked up the car, got a few miles down the road, trashed the engine, had it towed back, and said give me a new loaner and pay me back for the tow.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335d
Holy cow snipe. I would have snapped if I saw my exhaust like that.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
Holy cow snipe. I would have snapped if I saw my exhaust like that. :lol:
I damn near did, it is a good thing I had to wait 2-3 days before I could drive down there. I was getting even more worried once I saw pictures from other owners of the exhaust before the mufflers. My picture of that section makes it look like things are mangled up and someone who saw it in person even said it looks like it hit a railroad track. But it must be the angle of my picture that does some of those thoughts because now that I have seen other cars in person I know it is normal.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335d
Mine never looked anything like that before I added my tips. Gonna try and dig up a pic.

Before and after tips:

Last edited by GreekboyD; 07-25-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
Mine never looked anything like that before I added my tips. Gonna try and dig up a pic.
Yeah, but keep in mind my picture is of before being fixed. The after is better although I did just try to take a picture and it looks wrong in the picture even though they look exactly like the other 335d that was at the dealership.

I am trying to just not think about it at this point because I know it will eventually drive me nuts and I will just get something made on the car.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d & 2014 535i
Hey all, my DEF warning has shown up today. It's weird as my last DEF fill-up happened 7,500 miles ago. I remember it used to last between 12-13k miles prior to recall. I'm unsure if this is related to software upgrade.

So far, the pros is much smoother shifting from 1st to 2nd gear under hard acceleration. The cons are losing 2-3 mpg & DEF lasting shorter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	def-jul2012.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	334667  
Old 07-28-2012, 02:12 PM

Hey Aaron, I'm back in town. Below is the photo of my tail pipes looking from front of rear bumper.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	twin-pipes-jul2012.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	334670  
Old 07-28-2012, 02:13 PM

Attached is photo of my twin pipes looking from underneath the rear bumper.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	twin-pipes-under-jul2012.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	334671  
Old 07-28-2012, 02:15 PM

Attached is the photo of my rear passenger side tail pipe viewing from heat shield toward rear passenger side wheel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pipe-looking-outward-jul2012.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	334672  
Old 07-28-2012, 02:18 PM

Attached is the photo of my rear passenger side tail pipe viewing from rear passenger side wheel toward DEF tank. I believe they look different that your pipe.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pipe-look-inward-jul2012.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	334673  
Old 07-28-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoucity View Post
Hey all, my DEF warning has shown up today. It's weird as my last DEF fill-up happened 7,500 miles ago. I remember it used to last between 12-13k miles prior to recall. I'm unsure if this is related to software upgrade.

So far, the pros is much smoother shifting from 1st to 2nd gear under hard acceleration. The cons are losing 2-3 mpg & DEF lasting shorter.
It seems to me that every time one of us has a DEF warning around those miles it means one of two things. They either did not fully top off your tanks at the last oil change or your transfer pump is not working as it should. I have one cold beer left in my fridge and willing to bet it that your tanks were not properly filled up.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: '11 335d, '00 540iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoucity View Post
I am dissapointed how BMW seems to want to just sweep the loss of MPG under the rug. So far no one seems to have received at least an acknowledgement of the issue from BMW. And of course if MPG is going down, this means you will use up DEF faster as it's consumption is based on the amount of fuel used!

Last edited by KeithS; 07-28-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithS View Post
I am dissapointed how BMW seems to want to just sweep the loss of MPG under the rug. So far no one seems to have received at least an acknowledgement of the issue from BMW. And of course if MPG is going down, this means you will use up DEF faster as it's consumption is based on the amount of fuel used!
To me this implies that his low DEF might be from lower mpg. I say no way that small of a drop in mpg is going to make the car essentially use twice the amount of DEF. Actually far more than twice since betting he has not driven a ton since the recall. I am sticking with the dealer most likely did not top off both tanks completely or the transfer pump is not working right. Problem is the cars require this fluid to run but we are given zero way to see how much we have. We have to simply trust dealers that they do things right and if they don't then most dealers seem to be unwilling to admit to it.

If truly upset about the mileage drop then you could do like what the lady in California did over her Honda hybrid. She took Honda to small claims court and won the max you can get in small claims which was tons more than a class action would net someone. BMWNA is not going to admit a problem, dealers are just going to pour a finger at BMW and leaves us waiting for BMW to admit and hopefully fix the problem yet not reimburse anyone for extra fuel spent.

Last edited by Snipe656; 07-28-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
I am sticking with the dealer most likely did not top off both tanks completely or the transfer pump is not working right. Problem is the cars require this fluid to run but we are given zero way to see how much we have.

If truly upset about the mileage drop then you could do like what the lady in California did over her Honda hybrid...
I wasn't suggesting that the drop in MPG would cause 2X the consumption of DEF, but it may have people who are even properly refilled run out before the 12-13K interval is up. I agree with you, either not filled fully last time or a pump issue.

In regards to small claims, that would not work. Car is still making the posted MPG, it just use to be a lot better. For me something about breaking 40 MPG makes me feel good about getting the car, and it use to do it every time on a trip (no more). But going negative green must carry some weight, somewhere!
Old 07-28-2012, 07:28 PM

If the cars are still within their EPA ratings then I'd be curious if BMW does anything at all.

What if the prior high mpg came on long term reliability issues with some of the emissions equipment?
Old 07-28-2012, 10:17 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
This "mileage has gone down" is, unfortunately, entirely anecdotal. For instance, it seemed like the first couple tanks after I had the recall work done it "seemed" like mileage was down. However, the latest tank and an extended drive returned just the same good mileage that I had last year driving the same routes.

Many things can affect mileage, and many things can affect mileage reporting. I'm not convinced at all that there is a loss of mileage.

YMMV
Old 07-29-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Many things can affect mileage, and many things can affect mileage reporting. I'm not convinced at all that there is a loss of mileage.

YMMV
I am convinced. Took a very repeatable 300 mile trip and got 38. Previous trips were between 40-42 (42 was with no AC). I even reset the MPG while driving on the highway, no stops, no hills, just constant speed and was unable to break 40. I know it's extra hot these days but AC should not be 10% of the MPG.

While not as controlled, my average always use to be 30 something, now it's always in the high 20's. I will agree that for average and around town driving AC will have more of an impact that on the highway.

Last edited by KeithS; 07-29-2012 at 07:38 AM.