Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 05-20-2012, 06:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 335d, '00 540iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingman View Post
It is sad how an otherwise pretty amazing car can leave such a bad taste in your mouth because of crappy dealer support.

So far my car has been fantastic. Minimum issues, typical of what most of us have seen here. Dealer has only had my car a total of 3 times in almost 3 years. All issues resolved first time. So I have no complaints.
I second that thought. We've only had the car for 8 months, has 17K miles on it now (was a previous service loaner, 8K miles when we got it) and not a single issue. Been at the dealer exactly 2 times. Once for a screw in a tire, once for an oil change. SES has never illuminated.

Dealer trip #3 is next week for the recall.

It is a MY 2011, so maybe they sorted through most the issues by then. Also with all our previous gasoline BMW's, it was rare to go more than 2 years without getting an SES for something.

And there most definately is something to having a good dealer to get a good experience.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d & 2014 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Lincoln View Post
Jim, would it be okay if I post your analysis on another forum? I don't want to use it without attribution, but as you wrote, this is important info and will really help clarify things for d owners.

Also, do you think that all 3 recalls will require software? I'm looking at recall 3 (May 2010 production), and I wonder if new software will be needed for an EGR replacement.
Recall # 3 - EGR replacement will require software update. My 335d check-in @ 7:30 am and pick up same day @ 5:45pm. Per my SA, 4 hours are allocated for software updating.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:20 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoucity View Post
Recall # 3 - EGR replacement will require software update. My 335d check-in @ 7:30 am and pick up same day @ 5:45pm. Per my SA, 4 hours are allocated for software updating.
Thanks, I'm hoping to combine the recall with my oil change.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:08 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 M3 Coupe & 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Lincoln View Post
Jim, would it be okay if I post your analysis on another forum? I don't want to use it without attribution, but as you wrote, this is important info and will really help clarify things for d owners.

Also, do you think that all 3 recalls will require software? I'm looking at recall 3 (May 2010 production), and I wonder if new software will be needed for an EGR replacement.
Absolutely no problem and I appreciate your consideration.

All recalls require reprogramming of the DDE.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:26 AM

Old 05-20-2012, 12:07 PM

Mein Auto: 335D
Quote:
Hmmmpf..and my dealer said 90 mins for the recall.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:29 AM

@Jim E. thanks for the info, my car was built on June 2011. My friend who deals with BMW and has the BMW program read this out to me the last time we had the SES on

Fault code :

4B82- Exhaust recirculation-rate control,control deviation
4862 Air system, air to EGR mass flow,plausibility (I noticed the intake clamp was loose , and I tighten it up)

It was running smooth for a while and then the light comes and goes, but lately I have been getting TERRIBLE mileage on my car and I believed this EGR issue is what is causing this, but with out the RECALL letter BMW WILL NOT do anything here in Puerto Rico!!!!!
Old 05-21-2012, 07:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel61 View Post
It was running smooth for a while and then the light comes and goes, but lately I have been getting TERRIBLE mileage on my car and I believed this EGR issue is what is causing this, but with out the RECALL letter BMW WILL NOT do anything here in Puerto Rico!!!!!
So what if they will not do anything about the recall without the letter. Sounds like your car clearly has a problem, perhaps completely unrelated to the recall, I'd take it in with the complaint of horrible fuel consumption and random SES light. Let them figure out the root cause and fix to the problem.

Last edited by Snipe656; 05-21-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:07 AM

@Snipe656 I did not think that way, will make plans to get car to dealer soon and see WTF is happening to it, although they will reflash the ECU at least it will get repaired if by all means it has to!!! I am planning in going to Florida soon to see my son he works for JET Blue and i fly for free!!! and then get reflash by RENNtech again.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: 'BMW 335d, Audi A3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
Make them give you the M6 loaner ....
HA HA Joke's on me... I took the car in this am. I had a choice of either a black or silver '11 328. Well I guess it's better than an Enterprise loaner.....

No '12 328 for me.

I talked the SA into pre-ordering the parts req'd. for the recall from BMW's warehouse in Jacksonville. So if it does require a new EGR, I'll probably get the car back on Wed assuming they need a day to reflash after they get the parts.

Retired:
'69 VW Fastback
'73 MGB
'78 Camaro LT ttops
'80 VW Diesel rabbit
'81 Audi 4000 4E
'84 Audi 5000 5sp
'87 Audi 5000 auto
'90 Audi V8q
'92 Millenia
'01 Acura TL
'93 Miata b Candy Apple red, AC, Factory hardtop
Old 05-21-2012, 11:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
I took my 335d in for the recall and they replaced the EGR and re-flashed. I told them I was in no rush and to take their time and bump me if necessary, so they did have the car 2 days. I am also friendly with my SA and managed to get a 2012 328i loaner, but sadly I had a surgical procedure booked and couldn't take advantage and give her a good run, that said, the 328i is no match for the 335d. I felt that the engine was a bit harsh - if peppier than the outgoing 6 cyl - and the tires were very noisy (I replaced my conti run flats with Bridgestones). What I can say, is I really wish I could have that 8 speed tranny in my d, especially if it was programmed for the d which the existing 6 spd so obviously isn't!
Old 05-21-2012, 12:29 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-IT View Post
So far have not received any official letter from BMW Canada but on Tuesday my SA checked my VIN and booked me in for the recall service today.

I dropped my D off at the Dealer first thing this morning and was told it should be ready tomorrow.

I had a chat with my SA about the reliability of the D.
He said so far there have not been any thing major but at his dealership most of the D owners have not put high mileage. My D now is 140 miles to the end of the warranty and I have decided not to purchase any extended warranty.
Hey DC-IT, when I took my car in for scheduled maintenance a couple of months ago, my SA was talking about overall reliability with the 335d and was saying that they have a few customers on the the books with 100k+ miles on 'em (160+km's in Canadian money) and they haven't had any major issues.

It's only anecdotal, but if it helps!
Old 05-21-2012, 02:24 PM

They took my 2009 335d for the recall. They said it may take 3 days or more as they have to order some control module, reprogramme, etc.
They gave me a loaner, so I am cool. I still don't have my car back yet, possibly tomorrow. Dealer had some problems of reprogramming.
Cheers
Old 05-21-2012, 08:09 PM

Mein Auto: 13 X3 3.5, 14 640i GC
Took my 2011 X5d in for the recall ONE WEEK ago this morning. They took it apart before realizing they didn't have the parts. As of this afternoon, it is "in programming" and hopefully I will have it back tomorrow.

Have had a '11 E90 328i loaner (on day 8 as we speak) - 2 comments: First, I am reminded of how crappy the GM 6spd auto box in these cars is. Had the same setup in my '08 X3 and hated it the whole time. Second, my other car is an '11 E90 M3 - hard to believe anything about the 2 cars is the same!

Will report out on what all was done when(ever) I get the repair order. Car ran fine when I took it in, hopefully that won't change for the worse.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d & 2014 535i
Hey all, does anyone here feel their milage has dropped about 10% (2 - 3 mpg) since the recall fix and reprograming? I have only been getting 26 mpg running same daily routine (against traffic constant @ 75 mph). I'm unsure if it is because AC has been on since it is getting warmer lately.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Hey all, does anyone here feel their milage has dropped about 10% (2 - 3 mpg) since the recall fix and reprograming? I have only been getting 26 mpg running same daily routine (against traffic constant @ 75 mph). I'm unsure if it is because AC has been on since it is getting warmer lately.
That might be from the car relearning you. At least that seemed to be the case for the last time everyone had to get their cars reprogrammed.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
I will be better able to tell the rest of the week as I will have some more driving to do a, but perhaps yes though mine has seemed to be on a gentle fuel efficiency decline for a while. What I can say for sure is that it was an absolute pleasure to get back into my smooth, deep voiced and quiet tyred (Bridgestone 970 AS's) after the buzzy, rather harsh sounding very noisy tyred F30 328i even if I do covet that 8 speed box.

Speaking of that 8 speed box, 6 months ago I had 2 loaners, 2 weeks apart. First was a 128i 6cyl 6 spd auto - did a 100 mile mostly highway roundtrip and got about 28mpg indicated. Two weeks later, 528i 6cyl 8 spd auto, same roundtrip, 34mpg indicated (almost as good as my d). In both cars the 28i 6cyl felt ok off the line, but lacking power once rolling though it wasn't much worse in the much bigger 5'er for feelings of being underpowered, but the fuel efficiency difference was through the roof!

I have always, ALWAYS wished that the 6 spd auto in our d's was better programmed for the way the d generates its power (lets face it, sport mode is utterly useless in the d), but just imagine the kind of fuel economy we'd be getting with that 8spd box... hmm, wonder if it can be retrofitted...
Old 05-22-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtobynj View Post

I have always, ALWAYS wished that the 6 spd auto in our d's was better programmed for the way the d generates its power (lets face it, sport mode is utterly useless in the d), but just imagine the kind of fuel economy we'd be getting with that 8spd box... hmm, wonder if it can be retrofitted...
The automatic in the d to me feels like it is programmed pretty decently for the engine. But perhaps because I am comparing to other cars. For example the E350 Blutec IMHO is HORRIBLY programmed in regards to the transmission.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
The automatic in the d to me feels like it is programmed pretty decently for the engine. But perhaps because I am comparing to other cars. For example the E350 Blutec IMHO is HORRIBLY programmed in regards to the transmission.
It seems to me to be programmed for the 335i or similar. Chuck it in sport mode and hangs on to the revs longer before it changes, etc. What for? Our engine produce max torque between what, 1,750 and 2,250 rpm - if I want to really hustle I chuck it into manual mode and change before 3k rpm and relish in all that torque. I remember reading a post somewhere by someone who did the same and dropped the 0-60 time down to 5.2 if memory serves (I know, anecdotal), but the butt dyno really feels the hustle of that beautiful intoxicating torque.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtobynj View Post
It seems to me to be programmed for the 335i or similar. Chuck it in sport mode and hangs on to the revs longer before it changes, etc. What for?
I assumed it hangs onto the revs for when going in/out of corners but I am not sports driver so I'd not know. But I thought this is a compeltely different transmission than the 335i, one loosely shared with some 7 series.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
But I thought this is a compeltely different transmission than the 335i, one loosely shared with some 7 series.
I have no idea if the tranny is used in any other BMW, just seems to me to be programmed for the high revving paradigm rather than the low rev gobs of torque producing engines we have in our d's. I'm no expert either, but if you peg it and the tranny kicks down, most often the revs go too high and out of the sweet torque monster rev range of our engines. If it is in manual mode (and as long as you don't mash the throttle to the kick down button) and you keep the revs under 3k - holy moly - before I upgraded from the stock conti run flats to the bridgestone 970's I could light the wheels up all the way through 4th gear!

Last edited by gtobynj; 05-22-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:34 AM

It probably is programmed for taking advantage of the peak HP which happens a good bit after the peak torque comes and goes. Just guessing that is the case since looking at the chart from the brochure it looks like HP peaks around 4200 rpms. Would probably need more gears to even try to program it to more take advantage of the torque since that is peaked for just around 1k rpms.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: '11 335d, '00 540iT
My understanding is the tranny in the D is the same one used in the X5 4.8. One of the few at the time strong enough to handle the torque.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:50 PM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540gone View Post
Took my 2011 X5d in for the recall ONE WEEK ago this morning. They took it apart before realizing they didn't have the parts. As of this afternoon, it is "in programming" and hopefully I will have it back tomorrow.

Have had a '11 E90 328i loaner (on day 8 as we speak) - 2 comments: First, I am reminded of how crappy the GM 6spd auto box in these cars is. Had the same setup in my '08 X3 and hated it the whole time. Second, my other car is an '11 E90 M3 - hard to believe anything about the 2 cars is the same!

Will report out on what all was done when(ever) I get the repair order. Car ran fine when I took it in, hopefully that won't change for the worse.
That is complete bull sh1t. They should know what they need for a recall before they go tearing the car down. N4S
Old 05-22-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed View Post
That is complete bull sh1t. They should know what they need for a recall before they go tearing the car down. N4S
Quite agree. My dealer will get 5 stars for this one if I get the call as they were ready to do it and reached out to me to book it, suggested the loaner as it was a longer process than the standard service and had me scheduled with loaner reserved the day before I got the letter from BMWNA. That though, is one of the reasons I bought my car from them, their service is the best I have had of any brand.