Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 06-09-2012, 07:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
I'm sure you'll find someone on this forum that would be willing to swap their silver grill for your black one. Ask around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorx3 View Post
How depressing I am not happy that my 28i will have the black grille damn it
Old 06-11-2012, 06:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325xi titanium slvr
I hope so. I think I will talk with my dealer on doing a trade at delivery for some and I'll make sure he has some in the parts dept for my delivery. I wish I could have just ordered it with them. Very misleading because all of the pamphlets and books on the x3 that I have are all 2012 and that's all they had in the dealership so they all have the titanium grilles :-/
Old 06-11-2012, 10:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
Mine is Silver/Chrome.

'13 X3 28i
*Premium pkg
*Tech pkg
Old 06-14-2012, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkslayer View Post
Mine is Silver/Chrome.

'13 X3 28i
*Premium pkg
*Tech pkg
Really? All I hear is that they are now black... How did you luck out?
Old 06-19-2012, 08:31 PM

Mein Auto: X3 35i
First time post.

I just ordered my first BMW. Upgrading from a 2004 Mazda 3s to an X3 35i. Deep Sea Blue. Black leather. M-sport / Premium / Cold weather / Park assist and back up cam. I was told by the dealer that the grill color was based on the color of the car. I was told my blue will come with the chrome appearence. Obviously this is a 35i but they had a 2013 28i in the showroom in the champaigne color that had the chrome grill as well.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
My Titanium Silver 2013 35i M Sport has the silver (more like gray compared to the silver of the paint color). I was just looking at it today and it totally looks like the plastic that it is compared to the mirrored finish trim around the grill.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanway View Post
First time post.

I just ordered my first BMW. Upgrading from a 2004 Mazda 3s to an X3 35i. Deep Sea Blue. Black leather. M-sport / Premium / Cold weather / Park assist and back up cam. I was told by the dealer that the grill color was based on the color of the car. I was told my blue will come with the chrome appearence. Obviously this is a 35i but they had a 2013 28i in the showroom in the champaigne color that had the chrome grill as well.
I hope mine does too... I did ask the dealer if they would put them on if it arrives in black so I hope they are easy to remove...
Old 06-21-2012, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 F25 20dX WY31
I would swap mine

@Doctor X3

I'm one of those crazy ba$$$$$ that prefers chrome... If yours arrive from dealer that way I will gladly swap them with you..

I have a MY12 that was delivered on May 10th so it's brand new..

Check this thread for some pictures

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=622859
Old 06-25-2012, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: x3
My 2013 has the black grill. I think I like it better than the chrome. The bugs don't show - ha. The online configuration still shows my vehicle with chrome grill.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:48 PM

Well I found out from my dealer yesterday that the cars all ship with BOTH grills, and it's your dealer (or sometimes regional center if they get it first) who choses the grill color and snaps them in!!

Why the F*&&K wouldn't they ASK US what one we want, if that is that case? MoFo's! Now my sleazy dealer is trying to tell me it costs $200+ to swap out. I'm making them give it to me anyway as a consolation for screwing up my clear bra, and oh, discovered either they or the clear bra dude scratched the hell out of my bumper with the license plate holder.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: 525 & 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbajack View Post
Well I found out from my dealer yesterday that the cars all ship with BOTH grills, and it's your dealer (or sometimes regional center if they get it first) who choses the grill color and snaps them in!!

Why the F*&&K wouldn't they ASK US what one we want, if that is that case? MoFo's! Now my sleazy dealer is trying to tell me it costs $200+ to swap out. I'm making them give it to me anyway as a consolation for screwing up my clear bra, and oh, discovered either they or the clear bra dude scratched the hell out of my bumper with the license plate holder.
I sure would like to see a picture of the X3 28i with the chrome grill so I could know if I like it. Mine is black and there is a lot of black on the front of my X3.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:56 PM

What paint color? Mine is Silver and I got the M Sport so my trim is all glossy black, so it would be a no-brainer to put the black on it, but the blithering idiots at my dealer put the chrome/gray. They are the biggest bunch of boneheads I've encountered in a long time and they give BMW a bad name. I can't wait to fill out my survey that I just got in my email this morning.

If you want to see it on Silver I'll go take a picture later.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
What paint color? Mine is Silver and I got the M Sport so my trim is all glossy black, so it would be a no-brainer to put the black on it, but the blithering idiots at my dealer put the chrome/gray. They are the biggest bunch of boneheads I've encountered in a long time and they give BMW a bad name. I can't wait to fill out my survey that I just got in my email this morning.

If you want to see it on Silver I'll go take a picture later.
Ok, take a picture and post it. Thanks.

I bet someone on this forum could post a DIY on how to change the grill out. Maybe it doesn't take some special tools.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:04 PM

Will do. It's easy to snap in and out. It's the getting without having to pay a couple hundred it that is the issue.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:56 PM

U sure about them shipping both? That seems like an awful waste of money. I can't see a manufacturer doing that. ...just saying

Quote:
Well I found out from my dealer yesterday that the cars all ship with BOTH grills, and it's your dealer (or sometimes regional center if they get it first) who chooses the grill color and snaps them in!!

Why the F*&&K wouldn't they ASK US what one we want, if that is that case? MoFos! Now my sleazy dealer is trying to tell me it costs $200+ to swap out. I'm making them give it to me anyway as a consolation for screwing up my clear bra, and oh, discovered either they or the clear bra dude scratched the hell out of my bumper with the license plate holder.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:00 PM

It's flimsy plastic. Probably costs them a few bucks. If you think about it, it explains why it's haphazard who has gotten which grill and it isn't consistent or relative to paint color.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
It's flimsy plastic. Probably costs them a few bucks. If you think about it, it explains why it's haphazard who has gotten which grill and it isn't consistent or relative to paint color.
Haphazard is the only person I have heard of who got a different grill than it was supposed to be. With your dealer being as messed up as you said, I wouldn't believe much of anything they told you. Think about it, they leave the assembly line with the grill already snapped in. Why the heck would the dealer rip apart the front to mess with changing out the grill when it arrives. Don't think so. Sounds like a complete line of B.S if you ask me.

Last edited by Want the Thrill; 07-01-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:46 AM

Now I've been told by two other dealers that you can't order a Black Grill—they are not available for the X3.

WTF is going on with BMW? I'm starting to regret my decision big-time.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:13 AM

Don't regret the product... just the messenger.

In my experience both the dealer and customer service are lacking credibility. I knew more about the product changes from my research than the dealership and BMW customer service was completely useless. It makes me wonder if customer service isn't contracted out...

Quote:
Now I've been told by two other dealers that you can't order a Black Grill-they are not available for the X3.

WTF is going on with BMW? I'm starting to regret my decision big-time.

Last edited by lbjgh; 07-03-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No12 View Post
There is no college football team in existance today that would cause me to put on a front plate holder if I did not have to. But, I know some ppl get pretty intense about their college teams, so it's your car and your choice.
Fortunately, I did not have to drill holes in the front of the black bumper on the 2013 X3 28i.
Instead, I bought a gadget and modified it and I did drill two holes under the bumper for the license plate base supplied by BMW with the car.

Basically, the device is kinda 'L" shaped with a part of the 'L' under the bumper and screwed in with two screws. The other leg of the 'L' is attached to the license plate base. It is secure and tight.

If anyone wants more detail, just reply.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
Don't regret the product... just the messenger.

In my experience both the dealer and customer service are lacking credibility. I knew more about the product changes from my research than the dealership and BMW customer service was completely useless. It makes me wonder if customer service isn't contracted out...
I've experienced similar, if you get a straight answer let me know...but from what I gather... As of 2013 the X3 28i will have black grills and the 35i will have chrome. When I asked my dealer to swap out the black for chrome he said no problem.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:00 PM

Mein Auto: E90
I have a 13 x28 under production (without M sport package). Just checked with my CA and he said the grill will be chrome in the front and black along the side slats. He was quite sure about that. Taking PCD so not something the dealer could swap.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj_pooh View Post
I have a 13 x28 under production (without M sport package). Just checked with my CA and he said the grill will be chrome in the front and black along the side slats. He was quite sure about that. Taking PCD so not something the dealer could swap.
Do you have the x-trim package with sport seats etc?
Old 07-08-2012, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorx3 View Post
Do you have the x-trim package with sport seats etc?
Yes, I ordered the Sports package which includes X-line exterior trim package. Is this why my grills have a chrome front?
Old 07-08-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj_pooh View Post
Yes, I ordered the Sports package which includes X-line exterior trim package. Is this why my grills have a chrome front?
I was hoping you could tell me that hehehe but I am assuming that's the plan I hope so... But if not my dealer will have to just trade um out cause I do not want those black grilles