Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)

E36 M3 (1995-1999)

Old 05-05-2012, 11:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: what ever starts
oil cooler help

Can any of you m3 guys help out. I would like to add an oil cooler to my 328 track car. It the vanos bolt issue the only mod that is needed? I understand the an adapter if I want an lines.
Thank you.
Ads by Google
Old 05-08-2012, 08:20 AM
Instructor of the Stig™

Mein Auto: Hover Car on Wheels
There are several different ways to go after adding an oil cooler to the E36. HERE is a link to one of the methods. I find this to be one of the easiest ways to add on an oil cooler. As for the oil cooler it self, you have a few paths you could take, the Euro Oil Cooler from the E36 M3, the S54 Z3 oil cooler, or an after market unit such as one of the Mishimoto ones found HERE.

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
800.924.5172 | OEM BMW Part Number Search
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
Old 05-08-2012, 08:38 AM

Thanks for the link and the info. I have the wrong housing to use the cap but might go that route. regardless I am going to have to remove the 328 housing since the cap won't work with that. I purchased a euro housing but might sell it when it arrives and go the cap route. I like the idea of having the ports for real gauges also.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:44 AM

Looking at the installs makes me wonder it there are any issues mounting the coolers upside down. Not sure the flow pattern inside the cooler but I would be concerned about air pockets and if they cause additional wear at start up due to charging the system. I though I read somewhere mounting the cooler on it's side with the input on the bottom was preferable to upside down. Will look to see what I can find on that.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:57 AM

Does anyone have the Euro m3 set up. How do the hoses fit to the cooler and the housing? I can't get any good pictures. Are they threaded? They look like some kind of plug in held with a clamp but I can't figure it out.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:47 AM

I got my housing today. Since I am not familiar with this housing at all there are two senders. Am I correct to assume oil temp and oil pressure? On the 328 there is only one sensor shown. But when I checked the M3 diagram there is only one shown for you also. Any info is appreciated!
Jay
Old 05-19-2012, 03:56 PM

Here are some shots of my housing. I am assuming that the two sending units are for pressure and temp. There is a port below them that is the same size as a drain plug and I was thinking about using the sender that fits in the pan.

It would be in the lower cavity here.