Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery > The Travel Forum

The Travel Forum
Planning a trip or have a great travel story? Need travel tips or want to share your experiences (and photos)? Whether you are travelling for business or pleasure, the Bimmerfest Travel Forum is your best resource on the Web.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Over night train travel in Europe recommendations

I've been looking at how best to do my ED by seeing a lot while constrained by several parameters. I must go to business in Leipzig. I can't take ED delivery until August 13th. I must return home on August 20th but I have 18 days to be in Europe on vacation in total.
It seems to me the best thing to do is:
1. fly from my home to Berlin and then go to Leipzig by train. Flying to Berlin is uber cheap.
2. Get business done in Leipzig and then explore countries other than Germany via overnight train.
3. When I'm able to pick up from the Welt, drive through the Alpine road and or Wine road and or Castle road and possibly northern Italy for the seven days I will have my car.
This brings me to the thought of where to visit via train. I really want to take advantage of travelling while I sleep.
On a side note: its too bad I can't drop the car off near Berlin. Advice and opinions are welcome and encouraged. TIA

Sent from a HTC EVO
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2012, 04:56 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
You see Paris, Prague, Amsterdam, or any combination that you schedule allows. I've take the overnight train from Amsterdam to Prague, and then Prague to Frankfurt.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 05-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328xiT & M roadster
Berlin to Prague by train is a day trip...no need to go overnight. After a couple of days you could go onto Vienna . We started yearly trips in 1999 and did most of our travel by train or regional airlines. The service was very good throughout Germany , the Czech Republic, etc. We then rented a car in 2006 to get to smaller cities in Northern Italy, etc. That worked so well that we made use of the advice here and did two ED trips to other destinations. It all depends or where you want to go.

PS both Hamburg and Bremerhaven have drop offs and are relatively short drives from Berlin . The worst part will be the traffic leaving Berlin .
Recent ED: 25 June 10, 328xiT in Red. Then headed SW to Italy & France. Flew home via Rome. Hoegh Kobe departed 22 July; unloaded at PH 17 Aug. Redelivery 11 Sept. (Re-redelivery 14 Sept....read the details here.)
Previous ED: 7 June 08, X3 3.0si in rosso corsa (*), then off to Italy, Austria, Slovenia. (*Note: A61 Crimson Red north of the Alps.)
Back-up vehicle (while waiting for re-deliveries): 1999 M Roadster in Estoril Blue.

Last edited by b-y; 05-05-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:07 PM
Powder Days

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 2.5i (ED 2004)
For all things European Train, try The Man in Seat 61 http://www.seat61.com/index.html

Its focused on the UK to the Continent but has lots of good info.

Cheers

"I never understood the dread term "terminal illness" until I saw Heathrow for myself." Dennis Hopper

Last edited by X3 Skier; 05-06-2012 at 01:16 PM.