Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 05-05-2012, 04:05 PM

Mein Auto: 740i
Unhappy 1998 740i Starting Issue

New to forum and in need of help....
We purchased a 1998 740i and was enjoying the vehicle until one day we came back from getting gas, turned off the car and later when we were about to leave, it would not start.
It cranks but will not turn over. We have been reading threads on this forum and have done the following:

Replaced Crankshaft Sensor
Replaced Fuel Pump Relay
Replaced Fuel Filter
Tested Fuel Pump
Recharged Battery
Filled tank to above Quarter Tank
Checked 17, 57 Fuses
Cleaned up Spark Plugs (Had oil on them)
Sprayed Starter Fluid to Air Intake
Plugged into OBD Scanner and NO Codes showed up...

Autozone said to replace the Valve Stem Cover?

After he cleaned the spark plugs and tried to start up again, it started, tried to stay on then turned off...

We are stumped and need anyone to give us advice...
Ads by Google
Old 05-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '99 740IL, K75RT
If it start after cleaning the spark plugs, I would replace them to rule out that.
You replaced crankshaft, sensor....was that OEM?
I would remove the intake boot, and spray some carb cleaner into the intake while cranking the engine ( to rule out a fuel starvation).
I would check for spark on both banks (to rule out Crankshaft & Camshaft P. sensors).
Check and clean the relays in the box (engine bay) you have there the main relay (AKA fuel injectors / DME relay).

Last edited by joyism5; 05-05-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:27 PM

Red face

I replaced the Crankshaft but NOT the Cam Sensor... Do I need to replace the Cam Sensor and is there only one?
OEM?? stands for?
Do I need to find the Valve Stem Seal too? and Where is that located?
All the Relay seems good after I replaced the relay for the the Fuel Pump, it was pretty dirty.

Will be replacing the spark plugs tomorrow...
Also I was told the tank needed to be more than Quarter Tank so we put more gas in.

Anything Else?

I appreciate all the advice...
Old 05-06-2012, 06:08 AM

OEM stands for Original Equipment Part. If you replaced with a sensor from Auto parts like Autozone or Advance, most likely you have an after market part. Often they do not work very well or their life span is short. OEM is always more expensive than aftermarket.
Valve Stem Seals are located on the valves itself, requires an engine torn down to change that. If they are shot, the engine should start anyway. Don't worry about it.
Yes it is OK to have more than a qt tank to start it, but the engine should start if you have less than a qt.
You changed the fuel filter, but you might have the fuel pump filter clogged which can cause low fuel debit/pressure. You could remove the fuel pump and check for sandy rust in the fuel tank. Here is a DIY http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/680160
Hear for the fuel pump engaging when you put the ignition on position 2. Can you hear it?
Remove the rubber elbow on the intake, crank the engine while spraying inside with carb cleaner. Is it acting like is trying to run?
Camshaft Position Sensors are 2 . (1 for each bank). http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/63877
Check if the sensor that you already replaced is same with the one removed. (long/short enough).
Old 05-06-2012, 11:31 AM

Question

We don't hear the fuel pump turn on when key is in the ON position but we tested the fuel pump to a battery and it was working so we put it back in. The crankshaft was an aftermarket part I just received yesterday. Thank you for the heads up we will keep that in mind about the part. Is there any way to tell if we need to replace the camshaft sensors? And when we do spray starter fluid to intake it turns over then dies. The relay in the trunk was replaced and I actually got that through bmw. I only replaced the fuel pump one. The fuses in the engine for fuel pump and in the trunk were working...
Old 05-06-2012, 01:59 PM

Question

Changed all 8 spark plugs, now its turning attempting to start over gargles then stops... cleaned the fuel pump and make sure its not clogged... tried to look for the camshaft sensor on driverside... even with the pictures from the thread you gave me... we couldn't find it.. found the one on passenger side...
Old 05-09-2012, 07:37 PM

If you unhook the fuel pressure line that connects to the fuel injector rail, do you get a good debit of fuel? Try to put the fuel line in a bottle and see if you get the pressure when you turn in the ignition. If yes, you rulled out the fuel supply . If not could be an issue with the fuel supply or an issue with the spark. If there is no spark the DME will cut the fuel supply to the engine. That's why is a good idea to remove the intake, crank engine, and spray some carb cleaner or starting fluid in the intake. If you can get it to rev. at least once (clear) then the fuel supply is your issue. Maybe not enough pressure. If is not starting, you have a spark issue that is also cutting off the fuel supply. Crankshaft sensor, camshaft sensor. Go to http://realoem.com/bmw/, put the vin# in and scroll down for exploded views of your engine. You should be able to find where are these sensors.
Worst case scenario you could have an engine out of timing, with good spark and good fuel supply. Reason for out of timing engine, could be timing guides worn and broke. Happens often if the engine was neglected or is high miles. If you want to check the guides, lower oil pan has to be removed and checked for brownish broken plastic pieces.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:13 AM

Red face

Thank you for all the info, just replaced spark plugs, ordered cam sensor... fuel in the fuel lines, but not getting through to stay on... thank you for website, it was what we needed for reference... I couldn't find 2 cam sensors on our vehicle... apparently 99 and up have 2... the posting you gave didn't look like our engine... will update after cam sensor replacement...
Old 05-20-2012, 09:54 AM

Replaced cam sensor, No start. Took it into a certified shop for diagnosis and they charged me over $200 for diagnosing AND havent found ANYTHING yet!!! they want to charge more... Do you know anything about Temp Sensor? all this started after we replaced the Temp Sensor/Coolant Temp Sensor...
Old 05-21-2012, 08:25 PM

I would check coil packs. Some times the will give a weak spark if they are old. Plus get a fresh new battery. Maybe a ground is loose somewhere.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:28 PM

Or bad computer. Go to E38.org
Old 05-22-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornelio0905 View Post
Replaced cam sensor, No start. Took it into a certified shop for diagnosis and they charged me over $200 for diagnosing AND havent found ANYTHING yet!!! they want to charge more... Do you know anything about Temp Sensor? all this started after we replaced the Temp Sensor/Coolant Temp Sensor...
You should not change parts without a proper diagnosis. I know sometimes is aggravating when you can't figure out after so much time. The shop that did the diagnosis .....if they couldn't find anything, why they took your money? Based on what? Is good that you took the car back.
Now take a deep breath....and back to square 1. Do you have a spark or a fuel issue?
To check for a fuel issue, try to start the car with a starting fluid, like described above.
To check for spark, you need to remove a spark plug and hook the ignition coil to it, while you keep the plug to a good source of ground. Turn the engine over and watch for spark.
At this point you can't blame the engine's computer or temp sensor. When you changed the temp sensor, maybe you disturbed some wiring connection...