Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-06-2012, 06:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i xDrive
Tail light bulb / harness issue

Hello,

So I got the "bulb" warning light this week... And sure enough, the driver side tail light was out... so I popped it out, and put it in the passenger side fixture to test... and it works... strange... So i plug the entire driver side fixture into the passenger side wiring harness and all the lights work fine.

So the bulb is good... and the fixture is good.. Could the wiring harness itself be shorted or is there something else I can check?

thanks!

('11 E92 328i xDrive - Deep Sea Blue - New to Me)
('07 E92 328xi - Space Gray - still in the family)
Ads by Google
Old 05-06-2012, 02:46 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
The Bentley manual specifically talks about the E92 producing a fault code up through 1/21/08. The bulb sockets will have build dates on them, and after said date they added an additional retention collar, which was then replaced just a few months later by extended retention clips.

You know, mine worked perfectly until one day out of the blue I got an alert on the dash. Everything still* was working fine, but the alert bothered me, so I did go to town with electrical contact cleaner, but to no avail. I ordered both sides for good measure from Tischer, and simply replaced both sides (though it was the passenger side that had the issue, if memory serves).

I know it's so weird, why would it work perfectly fine for years before the alert shows up . . .

So I guess since they're working for now, keep using them, and hopefully you won't need to replace them until the bulbs die out (even if you could just change the bulbs only I suppose, but anyway . . .)
Old 05-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
So I guess since they're working for now, keep using them, and hopefully you won't need to replace them until the bulbs die out (even if you could just change the bulbs only I suppose, but anyway . . .)
Actually, the bulb does NOT light up when the housing is plugged into the drivers side harness.... and it does work if I plug it into the passenger side... So the housing and bulb are fine. The problem is in the wiring somewhere....

('11 E92 328i xDrive - Deep Sea Blue - New to Me)
('07 E92 328xi - Space Gray - still in the family)
Old 05-06-2012, 03:48 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewder View Post
Actually, the bulb does NOT light up when the housing is plugged into the drivers side harness.... and it does work if I plug it into the passenger side... So the housing and bulb are fine. The problem is in the wiring somewhere....
Oh crap, sorry I can't help with this one.

Just curiously, does the passenger side socket work in the driver side? Because if it does, it might point out that the socket is at least partly responsible.

Good luck, and sorry about the misunderstanding . . .