Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 09-13-2014, 05:13 AM

Mein Auto: 08 528xi
Smile '08 e60 bearing screech rough idle all four(4) O2 codes

Hello Bimmerfest forum-goers, I am a newbie - thank you for welcoming me and allowing me to post on this site

Has anyone had similar problem? :

Have an '08 528xi initial problem was bearing squeal/screech (pretty loud once it gets going) w/rough, lopey idle. Did not initially throw codes but within 10 miles threw all four(4) "O2 sensor bank too lean" [I will go back and re-record the numbers but I believe 0174 & 1071, but will re-pull those to verify]

Somewhat fast developing problem in that it was not on-going for six months, just came out of the blue.

Hasnt really gotten worse, but screech makes it driveable (w fingers crossed) only for 5 mile diagnostic trips.

Ruled out accessories by removing belt, same problem.

engine needs a few rpms to really squeal (~1500), but I cannot say if I left it in the garage @700rpm for a while it wouldnt get to screaming.

do not really suspect electric water pump b/c this screech is a little more robust than I would expect from a small electric pump (I could be wrong here of course) and it is not overheating.

Does anyone see any signs or tells herein? Thank you for looking! Eric
Advertisement
Old 09-13-2014, 05:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingFool View Post
Hello Bimmerfest forum-goers, I am a newbie - thank you for welcoming me and allowing me to post on this site

Has anyone had similar problem? :

Have an '08 528xi initial problem was bearing squeal/screech (pretty loud once it gets going) w/rough, lopey idle. Did not initially throw codes but within 10 miles threw all four(4) "O2 sensor bank too lean" [I will go back and re-record the numbers but I believe 0174 & 1071, but will re-pull those to verify]

Somewhat fast developing problem in that it was not on-going for six months, just came out of the blue.

Hasnt really gotten worse, but screech makes it driveable (w fingers crossed) only for 5 mile diagnostic trips.

Ruled out accessories by removing belt, same problem.

engine needs a few rpms to really squeal (~1500), but I cannot say if I left it in the garage @700rpm for a while it wouldnt get to screaming.

do not really suspect electric water pump b/c this screech is a little more robust than I would expect from a small electric pump (I could be wrong here of course) and it is not overheating.

Does anyone see any signs or tells herein? Thank you for looking! Eric
Mileage?

Starts with increased engine speed, but happens without the belt. Independent of car movement, it seems (means not the wheel bearings, etc etc). Not the alternator, since it happens without the belt. Water pump doesn't typically fail mechanically; a capacitor seems to be the weak point. Use a mechanics stethoscope (or a big screwdriver) and listen to the top end after removing the beauty cover.

If that doesn't identify it, get it to an indy and have it examined. I wouldn't drive it at all.

2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 10+ Years

Last edited by banglenot; 09-13-2014 at 05:30 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:20 AM

Smile

Thank you for the reply banglenot;

mileage is 62,000

thanks for heads up on e-pump/capacitor, thats good stuff;

this next question is gonna sound very 101-ish, but,

when listening to top end, what am I ruling in/out;

I've never taken a motor apart, so knowledge of what is exactly w/in these magic metal boxes is a shortcoming of mine - I dont want to muddy the waters, there is some chatter about eccentric valve but this particular rig does not seem to have this - wondering, having essentially ruled out waterpump & accessories, who the remaining candidates/ suspects may be -

Thank you for looking!

Eric
Old 09-14-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the reply banglenot;

mileage is 62,000

thanks for heads up on e-pump/capacitor, thats good stuff;

this next question is gonna sound very 101-ish, but,

when listening to top end, what am I ruling in/out;

I've never taken a motor apart, so knowledge of what is exactly w/in these magic metal boxes is a shortcoming of mine - I dont want to muddy the waters, there is some chatter about eccentric valve but this particular rig does not seem to have this - wondering, having essentially ruled out waterpump & accessories, who the remaining candidates/ suspects may be -

Thank you for looking!

Eric
I'd never recommend that a person without mechanical experience try to start learning on BMW's top end . My point was only to see if you could hear the noise in a particular location -- top or bottom end. Bearing screech without the belt attached implies it's in the engine, and that can be a very bad thing to let slide, or to even run the engine with.

Sudden O2 errors imply that it could be a VANOS or top end problem, resulting it a changed intake/exhaust mix.

Not being there, it's impossible to tell if it's a "drive it" or a "tow it" to a pro, but you need to have a pro examine it, asap. But if I thought it was in the engine, I'd have it flatbedded to a pro before I'd press the "start" button myself.

2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 10+ Years

Last edited by banglenot; 09-14-2014 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:02 AM

thank you - all points well taken -

some mechanical experience, but to your point, one needs to be cautious w a currently running bmw, as you indicate, in the primum non nocere (to my wallet) sense -

I received an indication from a mechanic that it might be the timing chain guide -

indications are this forum is rich on this topic, so will start to research -

thank you! Eric
Old 09-14-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
thank you - all points well taken -

some mechanical experience, but to your point, one needs to be cautious w a currently running bmw, as you indicate, in the primum non nocere (to my wallet) sense -

I received an indication from a mechanic that it might be the timing chain guide -

indications are this forum is rich on this topic, so will start to research -

thank you! Eric
Possible, but it's not something you can fix. Your call, of course.

2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 10+ Years
Old 09-14-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banglenot View Post
Possible, but it's not something you can fix. Your call, of course.
I'm not sure we agree on assessments of my abilities, but thank you for reading the post
Old 09-14-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure we agree on assessments of my abilities, but thank you for reading the post
No insult intended; I was just accepting your comment about never having been in the top end of a car. If you want to take it on, it's a good time to change the Valve Cover gasket and do the plugs. Make sure you have a torque wrench.

2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 10+ Years
Old 09-14-2014, 01:17 PM

thank you - sorry if I came off thin-skinned - probably right not to attempt - I will have to think about it - there is a lot of info on these forums, drilling down, gonna see what happens - thank you!