Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 09-14-2014, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: Fremont, CA
Xenon HID bulb color shifted

Hi, all,

2004 E60 525i, with 90K miles. It has Xenon HID light and adaptive light control.

Yesterday I noticed the driver side Xenon HID bulb's color changed to pink/purple. The sequence is:
1. the two HID bulbs immediately at time of turned on have the same normal white color.
2. Then in ~2 seconds the color on the driver side starts to change gradually to pinkish, and will stabilize at the pink/purple shown in the attached photo after ~7 seconds.

Questions need your help:

a. Is the blast on the driver side the problem, or we know for sure it is the driver side HID bulb?
b. If it is the bulb failure, is it as simple as just replace it or something has to be done/checked at the blast?
c. Researched at O'Reilly site, which showed two different brands both have "part number" as D2S. How do I verify this old failed bulb is D2S and the O'Reilly part will work?
c. Amazon.com shows all kinds of D2S HID bulb (no referenc eof Xenon, not sure why), prices range from $5 to over $100 each. What the heck - why are they that different? Since this is a DIY, I don't mind to a pair of cheap bulbs and replace both. Just want to make sure they will light up and will not cause error codes. thought?

Thanks all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Xenon Light.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	464388  
Advertisement
Old 09-14-2014, 01:37 PM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
Open up the back cover and check what type of bulb is in there. If they both light up it's probably just the bulb.
Change them both out together and you should be good. I replaced mine with Osram xenarc 4300K. This photo is to show the difference between the types of bulbs your car may come with. I'm pretty sure it's D2S, but you have to check to make sure.