Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
Do you trust your X5?

It's getting time for a new SUV. We currently have a 2001 Pathfinder that has been bullet proof. I trust it 110% when we take out in remote areas as deserted trail heads or through blizzards over mountain passes and long road trips. Now, the main duty of the car is to be my wife's daily but it also sees a fair amount of real SUV duty and is our always prepared car that we trust to always be working in any weather or road conditions.

If it was up to me we would get a 4-runner or Landcruiser but wy wife wants and deserves something more upscale and she is hooked on the X5 and the Range Rover. I vetod the RR.

What is your feelings about your X5? Do you trust it to always function and not get stuck due to weather conditions and/or road conditions? Does it come with a spare?

Last edited by solstice; 05-06-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 05-06-2012, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35d
Wife and I have owned 4 X5s and too many other BMWs to name. I have never been in doubt about the readiness of our vehicles. What little snow we get here the X5 has handled with no problem. I do not take ours offroad so can't speak to that.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteo View Post
Wife and I have owned 4 X5s and too many other BMWs to name. I have never been in doubt about the readiness of our vehicles. What little snow we get here the X5 has handled with no problem. I do not take ours offroad so can't speak to that.
Thanks, I'm on my 6th Beemer myself, most have been reliable but I have never owned an X5 and isn't sure how bullet proof it is.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:50 AM
Mmmmmm…

Mein Auto: '13 Range Rover S/C
I've taken mine off-road and onto regular off-road terrain (like dirt roads, some light woods), nothing major like a desert or a rainforest.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d-AW/Tobacco
Not to take away anything from the X5, but the Land Cruiser is a pretty solid, and upscale vehicle as well as the Lexus version...obviously the drive and build is totally different, but they are good cars. My mother has had the Lexus version for over 10 years and it's still going strong.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: 328 Mspo, 958 Piggy, etc.
I vote Land Cruiser and X5 50i. You can never go wrong with the twin turbo V8.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:07 PM

Mein Auto: '11 X5d
Yes, I trust the X5, more specifically the diesel model. I wouldn't touch the 50i or 35i IMO because there have been too many issues with BMW and turbocharging. The diesel model has none of those issues. That being said, I'm about 8-9 days away from my car's 1 year anniversary and I love it!
Old 05-06-2012, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW x5 x35i SA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Yes, I trust the X5, more specifically the diesel model. I wouldn't touch the 50i or 35i IMO because there have been too many issues with BMW and turbocharging. The diesel model has none of those issues. That being said, I'm about 8-9 days away from my car's 1 year anniversary and I love it!
The diesel has had many more issues than either the 35i or 50i. The diesel is also turbocharged. The 'durability' people rave about relates to much older, naturally aspired diesel engines.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: '11 X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory34 View Post
The diesel has had many more issues than either the 35i or 50i. The diesel is also turbocharged. The 'durability' people rave about relates to much older, naturally aspired diesel engines.
Is that why the turbocharged petrol engines are STILL having HPFP issues, not to mention injector problems, etc?

If anything, the diesel is the most reliable of the bunch now. However, the old 3.0i and 4.8i beat all of them in terms of reliability
Old 05-06-2012, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
I will let you know in about a month after an 11 hour roadtrip to South Carolina and then back home 3 days later.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW x5 x35i SA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Is that why the turbocharged petrol engines are STILL having HPFP issues, not to mention injector problems, etc?

If anything, the diesel is the most reliable of the bunch now. However, the old 3.0i and 4.8i beat all of them in terms of reliability
Search this forum and you'll find a plethora of diesel related issues. You'll find almost no HPFP issues related to the E70. In general, the HPFP issues have mostly abated since the introduction of the n55 engine. No disagreement re: the 3.0i and 4.8i engines being more reliable.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5
Absolutely trust my X5! I have done a couple of long trips (NYC to Niagara, NYC to Cape Cod) and drive about a 100 miles daily to work. Through snow, rain and shine, the X5 has been amazing. Couple of close calls (sharp turns at exits) and the X5 handled my oversight brilliantly. Coming up on my 2 year anniversary in a month, and absolutely love and trust the SAV.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Car guy

Mein Auto: E39 M5/E70 X5 M sport
I'd never taxe my x5 off blacktop. Hope I can trust it for long road trips. Headed to WY and MT soon. Not bad in snow but wide tires float at speed on slushy highway. Recovers nicely tho. I also have a 4 runner with Kevlar mud and snows. Goes pretty much anywhere. Also have a 3/4 ton suburban with e rated m&s which goes better than the 4 runner but is harder to turn in tight places. It is also like backing up a school bus if you have to abort.

Both are superior to x5 in snow. But of course no where near the pleasant driving experience.

Land cruiser will go same as 4 runner or suburban, maybe better, but you will groan more at the scuff marks from off roading because it costs so much more. Land cruiser is perhaps the best off road rig there is. I never owned one but know a couple guys who do.

Buried my suburban last week in a mud hole. Lucky for me there was a d3 cat nearby. Still have a little rock stuck in one caliper. In case you are wondering why I do such things- I am a forester and in the timber investment world. Enjoy.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 50i
I think it really depends on how much snow/tow/off road you really expect to see with your wife's SUV. I've got 5000 on my 2012 X5 50i and so far it's been rock solid. I'm coming off a 2003 540iT that took me nearly to 80K flawlessly. Brakes and an oxygen sensor is all I had to do to it. I'd still be driving it if I hadn't bent it.

Now on the other hand, my wife has a 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser and that has been hands down the most bulletproof ride we've ever had. This truck has taken us everywhere with nary a problem. Now that my wife is next up for a new ride, it's definitely going a Land Cruiser or LX570. Can you tell I like SUVs?

If you anticipate any towing or dirt, the Cruiser would get my vote. Otherwise, the X5 is darn nice too. I'm looking forward to many miles with mine.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 TURBO X5 35i
toyota or lexus over any import is far more reliable PERIOD
Old 05-06-2012, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i Premium
Between the X5 and RR I would take the X5 for reliability. Years ago I had a 4WD 1995 Nissan pathfinder and it never broke down on me in 175k miles. I eventually gave it to a friend and it still runs. The Japanese brands are more reliable. It has been a while sine I have owned a Japanese car though. I spent 2 weeks in Maui last year and my rental was a 2010 pathfinder and the difference in handling between that and the X5 is night and day. It would be hard to go back. The X5 does not come standard with a spare so order one with a spare. You'll be glad you did if you decide to ditch e standard run-flat tires. Just note that a spare is not an option if you get third row seats. The X5's AWD will handle foul weather without trouble. I trust it 100% for bad weather (also my Audi A6 Quattro). For deep snow the key is good snow tires.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
I have 28,000 miles on my 2010 X5 35d and I have been in snow and off road and trust it every where I want to go.
Chuck
Old 05-06-2012, 07:50 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93/335i
I would not want to own almost any BMW out of warranty coverage. Your 2001 Pathfinder is among the last of the "good" Nissans before Nissan became too French under the Renault ownership. I certainly wouldn't expect an X5 to be anywhere near that bulletproof, but I think they can be "trusted".

more pics here
Old 05-06-2012, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC View Post
I would not want to own almost any BMW out of warranty coverage.
A lot of people including myself feel this way. Not many want to keep any BMW out of warranty and this speaks huge volume on how we "trust" BMW cars on reliability and dependability. I would HOPE these guys saying 5K to 28K miles and not a single issue on their X5 would certainly EXPECT it to last at least to 50k miles with zero issues!

If your wife is looking for reliable upscale / luxury / off road capabilities then the Toyota land cruiser and Lexus version is hands down the best.
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:49 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535iX M Sport; 328i Wagon
Sol,

Nice to see you over here. How's the M3 doing?

I love my X5 (my third E70), but it may not be exactly what you are looking for. It's flawless in snow (with the proper tires), very competent in sand, and the HDC is really pretty amazing. I could not swing the time to do PCD, but the reports from those who did - and drove X5's on the factory test loop - are uniformly positive. If you do a search you'll find a video a 'Fester posted about a year ago. I forget his name (one of those guys who posts a dozen times a day for 3-4 months, then drops off the face of the earth), but he was from NYC and has a Russian accent and a DSB X5.

So I think the BMW works fine for "pretend" all-terrain use. But... It has no low range. It has no locking diffs. If you stick with the 2 row version, you can get a spare, but it's a space saver that would be pretty worthless off road. (And the factory scissors jack is a piece of junk. I wouldn't want to use it even on a flat slab of concrete. Off road on an incline? Fuggadabout it.) And the spare isn't even an option if you go with the 3 row.

It's a wonderful way to whisk your little ski racers to the mountain in white out conditions, out on the beach, or on a logging trail. And it would be hard to beat the X5D to tow your boat, snowmobiles, or vintage race car in style and comfort. But I wouldn't want to risk rock crawling or heading way out in the boonies with one.

PS: While I agree the Land Cruiser is a great vehicle, I'd take a long hard look at a Jeep Grand Cherokee, too. A nice compromise between on- and off-pavement capability, good looking, and at a nice price point.

Current BMW's:
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K
2011 535xi M Sport TiAg / Black, ZPP, ZP2, ZCV, ZCW, ZDA, 2TB, 6NR, 465, 5DL, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Prior BMW's
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Sport

Last edited by quackbury; 05-06-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:58 PM

Mein Auto: E84 / E70
I trust BMW Roadside Assistance. Not sure about Off Road Assistance.

Last edited by davidc1; 05-06-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 3.0; 2006 X3 3.0
I'm considering an e70 for family hauling duties and this is one of my concerns too. Coming from the land cruiser community I can tell you that they are designed to withstand 25 years of hard service. We are starting to see reports of 100 series LC (98-07) with 250k+ miles and no failures outside of typical maintenance and consumables. They aren't perfect--each particular year has a few weak spots that can bite you, but there are defined and permanent fixes.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i, 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
A lot of people including myself feel this way. Not many want to keep any BMW out of warranty and this speaks huge volume on how we "trust" BMW cars on reliability and dependability. I would HOPE these guys saying 5K to 28K miles and not a single issue on their X5 would certainly EXPECT it to last at least to 50k miles with zero issues!

If your wife is looking for reliable upscale / luxury / off road capabilities then the Toyota land cruiser and Lexus version is hands down the best.
I've kept all my BMW's past the warranty. My 95 325i I had for 7 years, 90k. '02 X5 3.0i traded last year at 10 years 100k. Besides the new X5 I'm still driving my '02 330i currently at 110k.

No real major wallet-busting issues except for some a/c problems on the E53 late in life. So far on the E46 it's all been standard maintenance and expected replacement items. I'll probably pass that E46 on to my daughter, if that's any indication of how reliable it is and how much I trust it.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:45 PM

Thanks to everyone who are taking time to answer, it's mostly appreciated. In summary it seems like most do trust their X5 in general at least until warranty runs out. We will not be doing any heavy duty offroading but I do venture out to remote areas without any cell coverage that might not see other vehicles or people for a week or more. I don't want to come back after a two day hike and find that some electrical issue has drained the battery or that excessive heat or cold has caused some vital functions to stop working. With the Pathfinder I can be relaxed and enjoy myself since I know it will not let me down. Another example is full day trips in sub zero temperatures to Canadian ski resorts with two small kids in the car. Heavy snowfall and significant accumulation. I don't use snow tires since in Seattle it doesn't make sense. I carry truck chains but I hardly ever need them. The car is pretty capable in snow on Michelin LTXs. On ice I would use chains to safely descend. Can chains be used on an X5?

Seems like a nice crowd here quack, as to the M3, taken that you still keep the pictures of yours in your sig I know you already know the answer. It's simply as good as everyone says it is. I love it.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i Premium
No electric or battery issues so far and as my wife's daily driver it sees mostly very short trips. Last year our family was on vacation for 2 weeks while the X5 sat in the garage (no charger). It started right up when we got back. It helps to lock the car if you are going to leave it for extended periods so some the systems go to sleep faster. As far as chains (from users manual)

Only certain fine-link snow chains have been
tested by BMW, classified as safe for use and
recommended. Consult your service center for
more information.
BMW X5: use only in pairs on the rear wheels,
equipped with tires of the following size:
255/55 R 18
255/50 R 19

So BMW only recommends chains on the rears. If memory serves me right, my Audi manual says the opposite for Audi Quattros and recommends chains on all wheels. If you are going to drive the car in heavy rain or snow, I would recommend going no bigger than 19" rims. The wide tires on 20" rims do poorly in snow and heavy rain. Here is the link for the 2012 X5 manual
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...modelcode=12XG