Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 04-23-2012, 04:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535i.
Navigation Guidance Capabilities in 2012 F10

Haven't yet had chance to take new 5er on a long trip with multiple freeway/highway junctions, so I am curious about the nav guidance capabilities. For example, on the Acura TL I traded in, as you came to a freeway junction, it would show you on the split screen a visual of which lane you should be in to be on the proper freeway/highway. Also, when a freeway exit was coming up it would also have a visual with an arrow letting you know where to exit.

Does the BMW nav guidance have that same capability, or just the nav voice and the guidance routing text? And I have done a lot of searches on here and didn't find anything that directly addressed my question.

Thanks

Last edited by kc1953; 04-23-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 04-23-2012, 04:40 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2011 535i
NAV on BMW sux. BMW should be ashamed of providing a substandard NAV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc1953 View Post
Does the BMW nav guidance have that same capability, or just the nav voice and the guidance routing text? And I have done a lot of searches on here and didn't find anything that directly addressed my question.
Yes Same

Last edited by RogerMoore; 04-24-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 M3
Quote:
Does the BMW nav guidance have that same capability
Yes.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:51 AM
silberma1

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
BMW NAV has no steet name pronounciation, just trurn right turn left etc. It is also known to give wrong directions. I would recommend that you preview the trip directions to make sure that thery are logical.
PS I always carry a Garmin GPS as a back-up. Sorry I bought the tech package, huge waste of money. BMW should be ashamed of themselves
Old 04-24-2012, 06:54 AM

Mein Auto: Future: F80 M3
Quote:
Haven't yet had chance to take new 5er on a long trip with multiple freeway/highway junctions, so I am curious about the nav guidance capabilities. For example, on the Acura TL I traded in, as you came to a freeway junction, it would show you on the split screen a visual of which lane you should be in to be on the proper freeway/highway. Also, when a freeway exit was coming up it would also have a visual with an arrow letting you know where to exit.

Thanks

Yes same... Dont bother the negative comments abt the Nav .. Its not that bad!
Old 04-24-2012, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCar View Post
I figured out how to get it to do what I wanted. When in guidance mode, with the screen set to map, enable split screen, and then for split screen display option use "arrow". Plus have exit ramp view enabled. I will say that the BMW system is generally a little more difficult to use than was my Acura TL, but the capabilities are there.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:09 AM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
I figured out how to get it to do what I wanted. When in guidance mode, with the screen set to map, enable split screen, and then for split screen display option use "arrow". Plus have exit ramp view enabled. I will say that the BMW system is generally a little more difficult to use than was my Acura TL, but the capabilities are there.
This same lane display arrow guidance can be viewed on the instrument panel as well ..... its a nice visual.

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 04-24-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
I have a Accord which has the same system as Acura... Trust me BMW system is way better than ours...Well atleast i am impressed (I am very choosy person) Only thing is, you have to know is where and how... I had 1000 mile trip recently and the system lived up to its expectation...I sent all address/points to car even before i got the car as my account was activated before i left for the car....

Let me know if you have any questions, i might be able to help you comming from honda navs

Last edited by DreamCar; 04-24-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:28 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
This same lane display arrow guidance can be viewed on the instrument panel as well ..... its a nice visual.
Yes, when guidance is active, you can scroll through several additional choices on the multi-function display, including lane indicators -- very cool, IMO. Funny, we've had 3 Acura TL's without Nav, just got my wife a '12 TSX with Nav -- I'm not crazy about the Honda/Acura system -- not sure why so many people "love" it. I think it's what you get used to.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 04-24-2012, 09:45 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCar View Post
Yes, really, it is. Don't make me break out my diagrams!

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 04-24-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
This annoys me to no end, and is silly. Every other Nav system in the world has a "pop up" for turns....why doesn't the BMW? Why do I need to enable split screen to have the exit view? Why can't it simply pop up and go away?

Yes, I know that I can have the directional arrows pop up on the info display below the gauges. Those graphics are not as good nor are they in the same line of sight.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 04-24-2012, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
This annoys me to no end, and is silly. Every other Nav system in the world has a "pop up" for turns....why doesn't the BMW? Why do I need to enable split screen to have the exit view? Why can't it simply pop up and go away?

Yes, I know that I can have the directional arrows pop up on the info display below the gauges. Those graphics are not as good nor are they in the same line of sight.
Have you noticed any improvements in the F30 loaner, if it has nav that is?
Old 04-24-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I drove three new 2012 models (7, 6, 3) at the recent BMW sponsored Hilton Head Island Concours d’Elegance ........ none of them could navigate their way off the island ....... the current NAV is pretty but routing is fundamentally flawed.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
I drove three new 2012 models (7, 6, 3) at the recent BMW sponsored Hilton Head Island Concours d’Elegance ........ none of them could navigate their way off the island ....... the current NAV is pretty but routing is fundamentally flawed.
Thanks Laser, I guess then that they use the same map provider and alghoritms as in the F10.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:01 AM

Mein Auto: 13 F10/06-330i/11-F350
This is most interesting. My Ford F350 has great Nav and I use a garmin for my current car as when I bought it I thought...I don't need Nav, I've lived in this area all my life. I ended up moving 6 months later. Based on this, my next car was going to have nav no matter what. I guess I will need to evaluate it.

Reminds me of somthing my wife said when I said I was going to get nav no matter what. She said "What if it only has one voice, and its the voice of Fran Drescher"
Old 04-24-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Yeah, it's a lot better.....no nav! LOL.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehauler View Post
Based on this, my next car was going to have nav no matter what. I guess I will need to evaluate it.
Although the BMW Nav has its faults, it is still worth it when spending this much on a car like this. It is integral to other display features of the car and for most, it does provide directions in a contemporary display using standard maps. It also will probably increase resell and has the possibility of being upgraded over time. This is a tough group here.

Do not let the heavy downer opinions here deter you from trying it out yourself before buying a car like this without it. I have seen worse and better and although it has had a few routings that leave me shaking my head, it is nice to have. Would all the negative posters have ordered it without the nav as "bad" as it is if they had to do it over - I doubt it.

Last edited by ksoze; 04-24-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
Although the BMW Nav has its faults, it is still worth it when spending this much on a car like this. It is integral to other display features of the car and for most, it does provide directions in a contemporary display using standard maps. It also will probably increase resell and has the possibility of being upgraded over time. This is a tough group here.

Do not let the heavy downer opinions here deter you from trying it out yourself before buying a car like this without it. It is not as bad and I have seen worse and better and although it has had a few routings that leave me shaking my head, it is nice to have. Would all the negative posters have ordered it without the nav as "bad" as it is if they had to do it over - I doubt it.
I agree with your points!

Old 04-24-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Yes, really, it is. Don't make me break out my diagrams!
Well as of now now it seems good ... Yet to see those weird routings... may be at that time i will agree with you
Old 04-24-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post

Do not let the heavy downer opinions here deter you from trying it out yourself before buying a car like this without it. I have seen worse and better and although it has had a few routings that leave me shaking my head, it is nice to have. Would all the negative posters have ordered it without the nav as "bad" as it is if they had to do it over - I doubt it.
Agreed.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:38 PM

Ok, since this thread is recent, had to post this that just happened. Apparently, the car thinks a U Turn is an acceptable maneuver. WTF!!!!!

Edit, this car seems to think that making U Turns is BETTER than taking an exit ramp which causes you to pass a road and then loop around. This can be seen in my other posts elsewhere.

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 04-24-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:55 PM

Mein Auto: '12 535i
The nav looks great on the HUD!
Old 05-09-2012, 09:17 PM

Mein Auto: 5
NAV Stuff

The NAV is worth getting but compared to the outstanding other traits of the car, it is relatively weak. My $100 Tom Tom gives much more efficient directions and adjusts for traffic much more effectively. For instance, I live in NY and it has an affinity of guiding me through times square without taking traffic into account. Major disappointment is that it does not tell you current speed limit of current road and doesn't give street names on turn directions. I inquired about speed feature and was told it would be available in an upcoming HUD release but not on screen. It works well as a helper in a bind but I still put my Tom Tom on when I do a longer trip or want more reliable instruction. Not trying to be a hater but the Tom Tom does work much better.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAL View Post
The nav looks great on the HUD!
It's the coolest feature I have seen in modern cars.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535 xi
The prime issue for most with the nav appears to be flawed routing logic, and I have experienced that as well. That said, it works, and most of the reroutes due to traffic conditions have been effective..