Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:56 PM
Gadget760Li

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadget760Li
Mein Auto: BMW 760Li
Hard Drive in an E66

I'm thinking of fitting a hard drive in my E66 same as the newer 7s so when I put a disc in to play it rips it to the drive, I can also play MP3's and maybe movies (even though I have the DVD 6 changer in the boot already). The plan is to use a 2.5 sata drive but also leave a USB port for other devices to plus in I.e. laptop to interrogate the drive.

As per usual the design is normally pretty straight forward once I have the full wiring schematics and layout but the implementation will be the hardest hopefully without any coding. And it may mean changing the CD player

ANYWAY

If this has been done already please let me know
Advertisement
Old 05-06-2012, 05:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget760Li View Post
I'm thinking of fitting a hard drive in my E66 same as the newer 7s so when I put a disc in to play it rips it to the drive, I can also play MP3's and maybe movies (even though I have the DVD 6 changer in the boot already). The plan is to use a 2.5 sata drive but also leave a USB port for other devices to plus in I.e. laptop to interrogate the drive.

As per usual the design is normally pretty straight forward once I have the full wiring schematics and layout but the implementation will be the hardest hopefully without any coding. And it may mean changing the CD player

ANYWAY

This would be awesome if done....keep us up to date with it would love to see a DIY on it later on....good luck bro

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Bimmer App

2005 745LI

Black on Black
Sports Pack
Comfort Acces
Rear Entertainment Pack
Convenience Pack
Premium Sound Pack
BTUM9000
3M Tint - 20%
Akebono Brake Pads
Blacked Out Grille
Smoked Taillights
ACS Roof Spoiler
MTEC V3
MTEC D1S 6000K
MTEC H9 4750K Fogs
Old 05-06-2012, 05:28 PM

Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget760Li View Post

ANYWAY

I highly doubt this can be done with the system implemented from the factory. Your best best is to put a carputer in the trunk and use that with an AUX input; otherwise I'd stick to doing it at home and justing adding an ipod.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:09 PM
Gadget760Li

The only thing I'm looking for now is connect the hard drive and get it working not to show the track info (yet) and all that because that will require upgrading the MMi I believe. Without thinking about the rest of the car behind the dash if the CD player got changed to a compatible rom for instance this would allow sata connection to the drive there would still need to be additional kit installed (it's virtually installing parts of a pc) but getting the correct voltage to each unit and possibly building bespoke compartments for certain parts.
I'll scale it in CAD first and then run it on some virtual machine with all the dimensions, schematics, layouts and anything else BMW might have. And when I say run I mean see what it will look like the wiring, what's connected to what where it's coming from. Just have a 2D and 3D scale

I'll play the Rome card with this one

Hey I'll get this to count as part of my Masters projects
Old 05-06-2012, 06:14 PM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 3.0
http://www.dension.com/product/iPod-...ts/gateway-500
a hard drive dont work with one of these? it says IPods and USB music devices? Just dont know if that means MP3 players only or if thumbdrives and hard drives would work as well
cheapest one I could find online: http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s...ENSION_GW51MO2
Come to think of it I should have bought and installed one of these instead of the one grand+ I spent to get the factory bmw ipod kit installation to work on my car lol

06 X5 3.0 Toledo Blue Metallic/Light Beige 2:
Adaptive Xenon Headlamps, Panoramic Sunroof, Rear Sunshades,
+Factory Aux Input in Ashtray, Bluetooth, Rear PDC Sensors, Rear Electronic Adjustable Seat Backs,
+White Angel Eye LEDs, +5000k LED H11 Foglights, +Blacked Out Chrome Grill Surround, +Puddle Light Logo Projector
.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i

Last edited by 745iguy; 05-06-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:20 PM
Gadget760Li

Hey 745iGuy that link you just sent was really useful thanks
Old 05-06-2012, 06:29 PM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

No problem

+Factory Aux Input in Ashtray, Bluetooth, Rear PDC Sensors, Rear Electronic Adjustable Seat Backs,
+White Angel Eye LEDs, +5000k LED H11 Foglights, +Blacked Out Chrome Grill Surround, +Puddle Light Logo Projector
.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i
Old 05-06-2012, 06:46 PM
Gadget760Li

I'm finding out how much they are. It might seem a bit less work instead of complete redesign just finished finished reading about them sounds great the install seems straight forward also
Old 05-06-2012, 06:49 PM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

Yeah its more or less the same as the factory IPod Kit, just take out your CDC and install that in place of it. IDK what year your 760li is, but it works all years from 2002-2008. Dont quote me but MP3 text wont work unless its a facelift with the MP3 enabled or so

.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i
Old 05-06-2012, 10:04 PM
The Silverback

Mein Auto: 2006 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by 745iguy View Post
http://www.dension.com/product/iPod-...ts/gateway-500
a hard drive dont work with one of these? it says IPods and USB music devices? Just dont know if that means MP3 players only or if thumbdrives and hard drives would work as well
cheapest one I could find online: http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s...ENSION_GW51MO2
Come to think of it I should have bought and installed one of these instead of the one grand+ I spent to get the factory bmw ipod kit installation to work on my car lol
Damn now you got me considering this over the BMW OEM Ipod kit
Old 05-06-2012, 10:34 PM

Mein Auto: 760 Li
Yeah, I looked into the Dension gateway 500 myself. I am afraid to say that this product, particularly the GW51MO2 unit, is garbage.

Hint..hint....Search and read through related threads about it. All users either ended up completely dissatisfied and/or the unit simply did not meet their expectations.

However, ‘Gadget760’ guys seems to be tech savvy and he does really have some brilliant ideas. Maybe, he will be the first individual in here to have a real life success story about it.

My recommendation to you, go for it. Keep us posted.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:17 PM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSilverback View Post
Damn now you got me considering this over the BMW OEM Ipod kit
Reason I got the OEM kit; I figured because its a BMW part itself, it will probably work better. I hope when I install my facelift MMI later today that I can say I'm satisfied with the way the OEM kit works

.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i
Old 05-07-2012, 02:14 AM
Gadget760Li

My 760Li is 2004 I've emailed the company just waiting for a reply
Old 05-07-2012, 02:39 AM
Gadget760Li

I'm still going to look into my solution and see what cons and pros I come up with until i get a reply from Dension but as mentioned in the earlier threads it would mean removing the CD player and replacing. Actually talking it over with some colleagues the whole unit might have to be a mini PC of some sort to allow CDs to be ripped to the hard drive and played back as MP3s. Now the integration of that into the car is ????????? May have to design a unit which has the hard drive and all the necessary components and fits in behind the dash plus maybe change the cd player.
I'll see what the CAD design looks like it will give me an idea of size and the bottom drawer is looking like the candidate to be removed if there is no space behind the dash. Still need to go to my friends BMW scrape yard and pull apart a dash to see what room there is