Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-07-2017, 11:47 PM
fyerman01 fyerman01 is offline
Registered User
Location: Dirty South
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: 2006 525i
E60 525i Backup Lamp Malfunction

Both backup lamps were burned out and replaced them with new LED bulbs yesterday. Lamps are working fine now but I still have these control center messages:


Right backup lamp malfunction!

Left backup lamp malfunction!


Any ideas on what I need to do to get rid of the messages? If it helps I have a K+DCAN cable but I admittedly have no experience using it or where to even start . Any help getting rid of these messages would be greatly appreciated!!!

UPDATE: I also had one of the four brake lamps out. Changed that bulb at the same time and the control center message for it went away. Now I'm staring to wonder, could replacing the backup lamps with LEDs be causing the messages to remain? Bulbs are cheap so I might try going back to regular bulbs if nobody has any better ideas...

Last edited by fyerman01; 05-08-2017 at 12:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 05-08-2017, 03:41 AM
nicknice91303 nicknice91303 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: US
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 380
Mein Auto: 07 525xi E60 N52 automati
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyerman01 View Post
Both backup lamps were burned out and replaced them with new LED bulbs yesterday. Lamps are working fine now but I still have these control center messages:


Right backup lamp malfunction!

Left backup lamp malfunction!


Any ideas on what I need to do to get rid of the messages? If it helps I have a K+DCAN cable but I admittedly have no experience using it or where to even start . Any help getting rid of these messages would be greatly appreciated!!!

UPDATE: I also had one of the four brake lamps out. Changed that bulb at the same time and the control center message for it went away. Now I'm staring to wonder, could replacing the backup lamps with LEDs be causing the messages to remain? Bulbs are cheap so I might try going back to regular bulbs if nobody has any better ideas...
That is exactly why you have the error message. led uses less voltage so when the car runs it's test it sees low voltage and thinks the light is out. Only way to get rid of the message is turning off the test but have to be done threw coding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-08-2017, 04:07 AM
DustinGroff DustinGroff is online now
Registered User
Location: North Dakota
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 28
Mein Auto: 2008 528xi
You can install load resistors to mimic regular incandescent lights. I just put these in my car last weekend. So far so good. 4Pcs Aaron 50W 6ohm Load Resistors - Fix LED Bulb Fast Hyper Flash Turn Signal Blink Error Code https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L4V9ECY..._Tefezb4TXF4WG

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-08-2017, 05:49 AM
nicknice91303 nicknice91303 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: US
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 380
Mein Auto: 07 525xi E60 N52 automati
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinGroff View Post
You can install load resistors to mimic regular incandescent lights. I just put these in my car last weekend. So far so good. 4Pcs Aaron 50W 6ohm Load Resistors - Fix LED Bulb Fast Hyper Flash Turn Signal Blink Error Code https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L4V9ECY..._Tefezb4TXF4WG

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Wal-Mart also sells load resistors if you don't feel like waiting for shipping. I forgot you can put the resistors on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-08-2017, 06:01 AM
38Fitter's Avatar
38Fitter 38Fitter is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Bay Area, CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 180
Mein Auto: 550i, 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinGroff View Post
You can install load resistors to mimic regular incandescent lights. I just put these in my car last weekend. So far so good. 4Pcs Aaron 50W 6ohm Load Resistors - Fix LED Bulb Fast Hyper Flash Turn Signal Blink Error Code https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L4V9ECY..._Tefezb4TXF4WG

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk


+1
This is common practice amongst led users. Any higher end kit you buy should come with them to prevent error messages.
I installed led halos with resistors and they run error free .


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-08-2017, 07:25 PM
fyerman01 fyerman01 is offline
Registered User
Location: Dirty South
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: 2006 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknice91303 View Post
That is exactly why you have the error message. led uses less voltage so when the car runs it's test it sees low voltage and thinks the light is out. Only way to get rid of the message is turning off the test but have to be done threw coding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk


Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinGroff View Post
You can install load resistors to mimic regular incandescent lights. I just put these in my car last weekend. So far so good. 4Pcs Aaron 50W 6ohm Load Resistors - Fix LED Bulb Fast Hyper Flash Turn Signal Blink Error Code https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L4V9ECY..._Tefezb4TXF4WG

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk


Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknice91303 View Post
Wal-Mart also sells load resistors if you don't feel like waiting for shipping. I forgot you can put the resistors on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk


Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Fitter View Post
+1
This is common practice amongst led users. Any higher end kit you buy should come with them to prevent error messages.
I installed led halos with resistors and they run error free .


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app


Awesome, I'll give the resistors a try. Thanks guys!


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2015 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms