Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 02-02-2013, 12:17 PM
Its a "Dry" Heat

Mein Auto: 2009 528i
I can assure you liquids do indeed find their way between those foam pieces. On top of several people experiencing water leaks from the truck lid or even the sun roof, which drain into the spare space, ANY liquid spilled in the truck finds it was down there.

In my case my wife had liquid detergent in the truck, the lid broke and it spilled. rather than just draining below the bottom insulation piece if easily found its way between the 2, and decide dto fill up those spaces, submersing my TPS Monitor and computer under detergent.

I saved the computer, but the TPSM was shot...corroded beyond repair.

Several other people have said spilled coolers, orange juice, soda etc, get down there as well...the liquid flows under the mat and then runs upseide down which allows it to go anywhere and everywhere.

Im relocating my electronics today...I just dont know what the black Recatangular module is...But moving it all regardless.

Its a crappy place to put any electronics - Im rather shocked the German Engineers would ever have even thought to put them there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dishoom View Post
Great write-up! I found it really useful in moving my modules this weekend. In my case, I had a couple of more things to move. However, after relocating everything, I started to wonder if moving things on the side of the trunk, near the tail lights and just under the trunk surround is actually better than where it was located. It just seems more exposed. Can't water get into the sides of the trunk as well?

Given that the factory location is sandwiched between two layers of insulation, does water really get in there? I'd imagine there would have to be at least 3-4 inches of water before it would seep in between the gap of the two foam panels.

Here's what mine looked like before moving things. Sorry, didn't take pics of my relocated components.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:31 PM
Its a "Dry" Heat

Did some searching and found out the small thin rectangular electronic piece with SIEMENS VDO 6922211 & 5WK4 9132 is the Interior Convenience Antenna. Since its under a tire & rim, Im going to assume moving it to the drivers side behind the trim piece in the trunk will be good.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 550i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by txag_530i View Post
+1
+1
Old 02-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Its a "Dry" Heat

I moved everything yesterday. the hardest part was fitting my body into positions to do the zip-tying. I would post pics, but I dont have the permission yet. Once I do I will post pics. You do have to be somewhat careful with the fiber optic cables, but they bend around fairly easy. I zip-tied the larger computer module in 3 places to the inner drivers side fender, behind the trim panel. Zip tied the TPSM under the hard plastic trim molding under where the trunk latches, and the convenience antenna right behind the rear taillight. I honestly cannot think of a reason why BMW didnt just design it this way...there is plenty of space, virtually ZERO chance of water or spills damaging the electronics, and the convenience antenna is now up higher and not under a tire and rim. Funny thing is, there are other electronics very close up above the drivers side fender/wheel well, and a relay or electronic solenoid under the trunk latch...so those areas not only have space to hold these other parts, but they are "dry" spaces...and any moisture that does get into these new spots is in the air, not physical. Oh well, there always has to be ne or two dumb things I guess.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:00 AM

Mein Auto: 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona-dave View Post
I moved everything yesterday. Zip tied the TPSM under the hard plastic trim molding under where the trunk latches, and the convenience antenna right behind the rear taillight. .
You may want to test the “key in trunk” capability after relocating the Comfort Access antenna, if this makes a difference to you. The car should beep twice and open the trunk should it detect the key in trunk after trunk is closed.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:58 AM
Its a "Dry" Heat

Will do. In fact I use the trunk key a lot when putting valuables in car.

That antenna was located under the metal rim part of the spare tire, so Im pretty sure where I moved it allows much better signal. Once I test, I will post what result is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micosan View Post
You may want to test the “key in trunk” capability after relocating the Comfort Access antenna, if this makes a difference to you. The car should beep twice and open the trunk should it detect the key in trunk after trunk is closed.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:55 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
Is there any reason that the spare can't just be mounted underneath the foam tray? Just relocate the tray to above the spare? -You guys may already know the answer.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:08 AM
Its a "Dry" Heat

That would not prevent liquids of any sort from getting between those foam pieces and onto the electronics. Secondly, im not sure fit down in the wheel well that far to prevent the foam pieces from sticking up above the level of the truck space.

This in my opinion was a complete oversight by whoever at BMW designed the electronics to be there. They obviously designed the top foam piece to "protect" the electronics in the lower piece, but whoever did so didnt understand that liquids follow paths and easily travel upside down on surfaces, especially when2 pieces create a sort of conduit/tunnel. Almost all of the detergent spilled went between the foam pieces, and very little under the bottom piece,

Whoever designed the lower foam piece must have been smoking very strong dope that day, because they designed it to TRAP liquids, rather than drain them.

And finally Whoever placed sensitive and expensive electronics into a wheel well that is sealed, and thus any liquid that accumulates in that space cannot drain has a very raw sense of humor.

On top of that, they didnt even bother properly sealing the circuit boards on the pieces, which would at least give a few days time if there is a spill before the TPMS burns up. I got to it within 1 hour. By 1 hour the TPMS circuit board was fried beyond repair. I was able to open up the other computer with Fiver Optics and clean it up, it only had a little get into it. There is this stuff called Resin/Epoxy that they could dip these circuit boards in, other industries do it all the time - sealed electronics inside TV's, Power supplies, testing equipment etc...I guess its too expensive to do in this case...whatever. Done griping, just amazed this type of thing got past the QA department unnoticed...

My understanding is that BMW dealers are now relocating these electronics to those people who have had spills, leaking sunroofs, and show up at the dealers with fried electronics.

Moving the tire down wont remove the problem of electronics getting wet from anything entering the trunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnyv2 View Post
Is there any reason that the spare can't just be mounted underneath the foam tray? Just relocate the tray to above the spare? -You guys may already know the answer.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:49 PM

Ok, I moved all the items but then had to open it up and put the comfort access antenna back to the original position! It didn't like being relocated, and sometimes thought that the key in my pocket was still in the trunk. It is the thin black antenna that is sitting vertically in the foam casing. It is the upper most item in the photo above. Now all is well again, unless I spill something after all...
Old 04-02-2013, 11:46 PM

Mein Auto: 435i Gran Coupe
Quote:
Ok, I moved all the items but then had to open it up and put the comfort access antenna back to the original position! It didn't like being relocated, and sometimes thought that the key in my pocket was still in the trunk. It is the thin black antenna that is sitting vertically in the foam casing. It is the upper most item in the photo above. Now all is well again, unless I spill something after all...
Excellent find! Thanks for the update - I don't have CA (not even sure if it was an option back then) so I never would have found this out.

Hmm makes me wonder if that antenna needs to be in that same specific orientation to work properly or just the same position.

My guess is there are a few more of these antennae in the car and that they work similar to how GPS works to determine if the keys are inside.

If that's the case, then I still don't know why you would put 1 in the middle of the trunk when you could put 2 on the sides in the back and 1 in the center console at the front. Although you would need a 4th if you really wanted to exactly know its vertical location too.

2015 BMW 435i GC MSport (ED Sept 29, 2014)
2004 BMW 530i (retired)
2010 Lexus RX350 AWD (hers)

Last edited by dwlink; 04-02-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:19 AM
Its a "Dry" Heat

Mine seems to be working fine with it relocated...but that particular antenna is 100% water-tight, unlike the other electronic items!! :-)

I took pics of what I did, but I dont think I can post pics yet...I may try to do a link to a photo bucket instead.

Now...If I could just get the detergent smell out!!!!! HAHA

Quote:
Old 04-03-2013, 11:12 AM

Mein Auto: 550i
This thread is full of awesome
Old 04-03-2013, 11:20 AM
Its a "Dry" Heat

So your saying your truck was (or is?) full of WET!!! LOL just playing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtchredTTU View Post
This thread is full of awesome
Old 04-12-2013, 12:00 PM
ptsctt

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Water in trunk

My 2008 535i is getting water vapor inside of the drivers quarter panel cover which causes the radio to cut out when it rains. So far the only thing I have been able to do for it is to remove the plastic tray in the quarter panel cover so air gets in there. Tail light seal seems fine and dealer is puzzled by it? So far no water in the spare wheel well.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:10 PM
Its a "Dry" Heat

There is a rubber Flap where the air vent is back there, it is supposed to allows some air movement in/out of the trunk...wonder if its stuck, or broken?

Dealer being puzzled...is it still under warranty? If so, press them until they fix it, if not, dont bother with dealer, they will just jack you around for money IMHO...Lexus, BMW, Mecerdes...dealers like $$$$ and will just start replacing parts to "find" the problem. Been there, done that, wont do it again.

Id suggest removing the interior panels where you can see the inside metal panel/vent etc, and have someone spray water up behind the rear tire, maybe see where water is coming in from...I know the dealer could have thought of that, but its too simple and doesnt really allow them to charge for parts, hence they say they are "puzzled" - silly dealers!

Also, take hose and Spraying water (rain and wind FORCE water pretty strong when driving, so dont just let the water run gently) around sun roof for a few minutes or so, then open truck and inspect trunk and behind the trim piece near quarter panel.

Repeat along rear top and back of door jam, inspect again.

Repeat running water over truck gaps - repeat inspection.

Basically your going to apply water to isolated areas, so see where its getting in..before its too late.

Hope this helps find your problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsctt View Post
My 2008 535i is getting water vapor inside of the drivers quarter panel cover which causes the radio to cut out when it rains. So far the only thing I have been able to do for it is to remove the plastic tray in the quarter panel cover so air gets in there. Tail light seal seems fine and dealer is puzzled by it? So far no water in the spare wheel well.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530 Sport Twins
excuse my stupid question but why not use trunk cargo from any sort of liquids spilled on electronics
it also helps to keep your trunk clean as well

Last edited by champaign777; 04-15-2013 at 01:03 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:44 PM

Mein Auto: 435i Gran Coupe
Certainly another alternative, but I figure it was easier to just move the electronics rather than spend $$ on a trunk liner.

A trunk liner will only hold so much liquid and if there are any leaks in which the liquid would trail down along the edge of the trunk it could completely slip behind the trunk liner and still damage the electronics.

Also, being an engineer by nature gives me no satisfaction in simply putting a trunk liner in place. I'd rather fix the problem rather than work around it as is too often done in the world.

2015 BMW 435i GC MSport (ED Sept 29, 2014)
2004 BMW 530i (retired)
2010 Lexus RX350 AWD (hers)
Old 04-12-2013, 03:59 PM

Trunk liner to catch liquids is fine, until you make a fast turn!
Old 04-12-2013, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsctt View Post
Hey Bro , have u checked ur sunroof drains to make sure they are draining properly
Old 04-12-2013, 04:30 PM
Its a "Dry" Heat

Ding! :-) and who doesnt make fast corners in a BMW? hehe

also, several people have had this issue cause from excessive rain building up and blocked sun roof drains which collect in the trunk for some reason - in those cases the liner wouldnt help...in other cases where a soccer mom spilled a full ice chest in the trunk, didnt help either...too much for a liner to even remotely handle.

Quote:
Trunk liner to catch liquids is fine, until you make a fast turn!
Old 08-17-2013, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 525i
Easy preventative maintenance

Thanks for the great walkthrough. I did this job this afternoon in about 20 minutes and am now resting a little bit easier...
Old 08-19-2013, 09:51 AM
Its a "Dry" Heat

This is what I ended up doing. I later pulled the black convenience antenna (the thin rectangular black plastic thing) to the rear, but havnt had any problems with key or entry etc.

I think where I re-located the computer module is where the Sirius satellite module is supposed to go, which I plan on getting. If so I will just relocated it up or down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130202_130942.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	392381  
Old 08-26-2013, 09:08 AM
I'm a Knicks fan ...

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 550i & 2007 328i
Pictorial DIY - E60 Trunk Electronics Relocate

need to try this ...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-26-2013, 07:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
I'm planning on taking a long trip this weekend in my recently purchased 530i, and decided to check the sunroof drainage. Sure enough, the left rear is clogged, and my test water seeped into the left-rear C-pillar and a bit into the trunk. Decided to move the RDC (TPM) module into the left rear compartment behind the tail lights.

Even though it's a simple procedure, your howto was very useful -- thanks!

Tomorrow I will try to gently unclog the tube from above with wire; if that doesn't work, pop the tire and wheel well cover and do it from below ...
Old 08-27-2013, 09:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
Well, I did not succeed in getting a wire into the rear drain holes -- too hard to access from up top since they are in the back of the sunroof frame, behind the glass when the roof is opened. Moreover, I did not succeed in getting the rear wheels off to attack the drain tubs from below, as some of the lugs were overtightened by whomever the previous owner retained to rotate the tires.

I'll have my indy mechanic take a look at it. In the meantime, does anyone know of any good pics showing how to access the rear sunroof drain tubes from the rear wheel wells? It's not immediately obvious where the tubes terminate ...