Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 05-07-2012, 12:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 530i
Any hope a software upgrade can allow start stop to be turned off

I guess I am not use to the start stop feature.. I am hoping a software update will allow it to be turned off.. Thoughts?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Bimmer App
Ads by Google
Old 05-07-2012, 12:12 AM

Mein Auto: '12 535i Msport/'13 X5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontay View Post
I guess I am not use to the start stop feature.. I am hoping a software update will allow it to be turned off.. Thoughts?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Bimmer App
You mean turned off permanently as opposed to pushing the button each time? That would be interesting...but I'm used to it by now.

2008 Chevy Trailblazer SS (Sale pending)
1971 Buick Skylark
Old 05-07-2012, 04:32 AM

Mein Auto: F10 M5
I seriously don't understand why people so badly want to disable it ...
Yes I felt the same before getting the car after driving the car for 2k miles I really apprciate it .... If I want a quick take off at signals I use the brake trick but still keep it on....

Anyways I don't know if it can be coded / configured ... I have started working pn coding will post back if I can get through

Last edited by DreamCar; 05-07-2012 at 04:36 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 528i
Totally agree with DreamCar. I continue to be baffled by the controversy. If you don't want the feature, just hit the button when you start the vehicle. It's not a big deal.
1999 Z3 Graphite (retired)
Old 05-07-2012, 10:03 PM

It's just annoying

It is an intrusion in my view. I feel like it is their to appease the global warming crowd
Old 05-07-2012, 10:30 PM

Mein Auto: '12 535i Msport/'13 X5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontay View Post
It is an intrusion in my view. I feel like it is their to appease the global warming crowd
Probably...just like the new turbo I4 or I6 which is more "fuel efficient." You just gotta deal with it and manually turn it off for now man...

2008 Chevy Trailblazer SS (Sale pending)
1971 Buick Skylark
Old 05-08-2012, 03:52 AM
BMWCCA Member

Mein Auto: ED 2012 535xi TiAg
Do you really feel that the engine does not turn on fast enough for you?
Old 05-08-2012, 04:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi m sport
agreed they are not big deals.

but drivers want and expect convenience,and choice.
other examples ,in addition to stop start,having to hit ignition button twice to shut radio.
pulling door handle twice to exit.
side view mirrors that cannot be set to automatic.

all minor issues that dont all mean that much.
still i believe most owners would prefer if we had the choice to decide what would be default setting,instead of bmw deciding for us.

although its a seperate and differant issue,i feel the same way about the run flat tires.
im curious if polled how many of us would have selected them.
ecspecially since they would have been an option,either stand alone, or part of a more costly package.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:24 AM

RFT is completely a different issue I don't think any body would argue about it at least in eat coast... Given a choice most of them would have opted out. But again I have around 2.5k miles and I did hit some decent potholes.

Last edited by DreamCar; 05-08-2012 at 04:31 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruok303 View Post
Totally agree with DreamCar. I continue to be baffled by the controversy. If you don't want the feature, just hit the button when you start the vehicle. It's not a big deal.
And trust me ....in more than one occasion I have honestly appreciated the system a lot... Last week I was driving on a highway driving back to home from office and suddenly a alert pops on my windshield telling me the range is 30 miles thats when I remembered I forgot to put gas before starting and ice on the cake is I realized that I don't have my wallet with me so no DL No cards and this car being new no cash in the car too... And my average mpg on my board is 22.3 even then I was able to drive back home ..pick my wallet .. And drive to gas station...
I didn't set the trip so don't know what was the mpg for that trip but i am pretty much sure it was atleast 27 ...I was driving in comfort mode with out AC and I honestly give credit to auto stop...If not I would have to it manually at every traffic light

Last edited by DreamCar; 05-08-2012 at 04:44 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: .
If anyone in the LA/OC area wants this horrific 'feature' changed so when you turn it off, it stays off let me know. I will code it free. (Thanks to Shawn and Sean for the info on how to do this)
Old 05-10-2012, 02:04 PM

Will turning it off permanately void my warranty?
Old 05-10-2012, 02:09 PM

Mein Auto: .
I probably should have worded this better: all this coding does is allow the car to remember if you have turned the auto switch on or off so each time you start the car it will not always default to on. If you want the auto stop/start functionality it will still be there - but now you get to choose if it is on all the time or off. I seriously doubt this would void a warranty because this isn't hacking, it's turning on a built in feature that BMW decided not to give us.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by itschase View Post
I probably should have worded this better: all this coding does is allow the car to remember if you have turned the auto switch on or off so each time you start the car it will not always default to on. If you want the auto stop/start functionality it will still be there - but now you get to choose if it is on all the time or off. I seriously doubt this would void a warranty because this isn't hacking, it's turning on a built in feature that BMW decided not to give us.
Hello Itschase,

Is this something I can do myself or do you need to use a computer or machine to make the car remember the last setting (including auto start/stop)? Will the dealer know that this feature has been activated next time I take my car for warranty service? Tks.

Dave
Old 05-11-2012, 11:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
I wish I had this feature in my F13. Really not a big deal to press a button to deactivate it. Gives me a little something extra to do while I'm waiting for the car to warm up. Also, as in the case above, it could be really helpful if needed. That scenario has happened to me before.

I personally would've paid for this feature if it were an option for my car.