Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY

7 Series DIY
Do It Yourself forum dedicated for 7 Series BMW Owners

Old 12-30-2014, 03:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E65 740i LCI
BMW E65 - CD Changer not Ejecting

Like most E65 owners I had the problem where the CD changer would not eject. The drive itself worked fine, and the manual release worked too, but the eject button just did not want to eject the cartridge. The door would open, but nothing would happen. BMW's remedy for this is to replace the whole CD changer, but today I discovered the the problem might not be the changer at all. The first image shows the CD changer removed from the dash. In the circle is a little gear which is connected to the door. This gear moves up and down as the door opens and closes. When I took my changer out today the eject worked perfectly fine, but as soon as I reinstalled it, the eject was not working.

The problem: The wood trim! The trim sags down over time...just 1 or 2 mm, but it's enough to be in the way of that little gear. When the gear does not move all the way to its end position the CD changer does not see the door as open, and as such doesn't eject the cartridge. My solution was to push the wood trim upwards gently while fastening the bolt behind the passenger side air vent. This prevented the trim from interfering with the door mechanism, and now my changer ejects perfectly each and every time :-)

Hope this helps any other folks out there who have their CD changers stuck. There are plenty of DIYs on how to remove the wood trim. Google is your friend :-)

PS. My iphone was dead and as such I didn't take any photos. I used generic photos for illustration purposes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	483992   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	483993  
Advertisement