Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY

7 Series DIY
Do It Yourself forum dedicated for 7 Series BMW Owners

Old 08-27-2013, 07:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 750I
Battery programming and battery registering

I have been looking at less expensive ways of installing a battery in my 2007 750i than allowing my BMW dealer handle the job. I have found several alternative AGM batteries which supposedly are suited for my car, however when I look at the specs of these batteries it seems they usually have more CCA's than the original. My question is, can I reprogram using INPA or EDIABIAS and then register the battery? My research indicates the these are two separate requirements if the battery is not of the same specifications.
I did contact my indy who tells me he has an exact replacement on his shelf made by Exide, I have since learned that Exide is currently in chapter 11 so I am leery of the 4 year warranty offered?
Old 09-08-2013, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 760Li
Got mine at AutoZone, works like a champ. Get INPA software and a cable and you can register it yourself in 15 seconds.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:18 PM

Thanx bluzplayer. Did you have to reprogram and then register your autozone I have heard if the cranking amps aren't per original you have to reprogram the cars computer and then register the battery?
Old 09-09-2013, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 760Li
I doubt the CCA matters because the battery will still be charged as a 12V, meaning the current in amps to charge it will be different but still charged at 14-15.5 volts and the larger the CCA the longer it will take to fully charge, but all other parameters are the same.

The car's charging system charges aged batteries different than new ones, which is why you need to register it. New batteries charge quicker than older ones because the chemistry balance in the battery changes over time. The car will apply the correct mathematical charging current and voltage over the life of the battery in any case as long as you register the new battery.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:16 AM

Thanx again Bluzplayer...most informative. Now I must check Autozone.