Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 08-29-2014, 05:03 AM

Mein Auto: Lexus LS460
535d?

I currently own a Lexus LS460, was thinking about getting a GS350 and stopped by the BMW dealer. They recommended I drive the 535d which I did and was extremely impressed. Unbelievable torque, refinement, and styling compared to my Lexus. Plus 40 mpg hwy. They are offering very enticing discounts to move the 2014 models.

Before I pull the trigger (later today), can members please provide comments, suggestions, guidance regarding the pros/cons of the 535d vs 535i or other options? Are there any downsides to the 535d that I am not seeing?
Advertisement
Old 08-29-2014, 05:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 535d
Absolutely no complaints or issues with our 2014 535d with ~13K miles. The fuel estimates on the sticker are slightly conservative. We see 43 mpg on windy 55 mph roads.

Recently took a trip from Arkansas to Jackson WY. Great highway cruiser and very comfortable even with four of us. Drove about 90 mph on the Wyoming interstates (80 mph speed limit) and still saw 40 mpg.

We have had no problems with the 19" wheels and the RFT tires, but many have. That would be the main thing I would research and know the potential of a tire replacement or the need for wheel/tire insurance.

In my opinion you can't go wrong. It's our first BMW. I can't speak about the gas inline 6. Everyone says it's fantastic too.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Cold Weather, DAP, LED Lights, Premium Package, Shades, MC Seats, HK Sound

Last edited by Razorback7; 08-29-2014 at 06:18 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:39 AM
redhot47fla

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 5351
+1

Totally pleased and satisfied with our 535d. No issues. No regrets. It's everything you found it to be.

I'm also fine with the RFT, but I agree that, as would be the case with any vehicle so-equipped, you should purchase a tire-and-wheel replacement policy. It almost certainly will be worth the price somewhere along the line, even if just for peace of mind. (You might want to check out the options packages listed on the BWM site, though, to make sure that the vehicle you're considering has the equipment you'd desire.)

2014 535d: Carbon Black/Mocha, M Sport/704 suspension, DAP/DA Plus, Lighting Package, Luxury Seating Package, Premium Package, SAT, Soft-Close doors, Power sunshade, HK sound.
Retired: 2013 535i, Space Gray Metallic, Oyster/Black Dakota, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package, Technology Package

Last edited by redhot47fla; 08-29-2014 at 05:41 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535d x drive
+2.

I took a trip with my 535d x drive on Tuesday, about 450 miles round trip. Got 44 mpg going and 42 mpg on the return (NJ Tpke and Staten Island/Brooklyn traffic). The car is nothing short of amazing.

Provided you are happy with the supply of diesel in your area, by all means go for it!
2014 535d xdrive ED 4/28/14 Glacier silver, Ivory Interior-Soft Close Doors, Ash wood, Harmon Kardon, Cold Package, Driver Assistant and Driver Assistant Plus, Luxury Line, Lighting Package, Luxury Seating Package, Premium Package

Old 08-29-2014, 06:01 AM

Thanks for the positive review! Regarding local supply of diesel, what do you mean? There are local stations that carry diesel - is that enough? Or are there certain types or grades I need to get?
Old 08-29-2014, 06:18 AM

One other question - the car I am looking at has the base BMW stereo system. I wanted the Harmon Kardon but none of their 2014 models on closeout have it. How is the base BMW stereo? I am not an audiophile - listen to Sirius talk radio alot and then some music on Sirius or through iphone. Is the base stereo fine for normal people like me?
Old 08-29-2014, 06:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
My 2011 528i has the base stereo and I find it to be perfectly fine.

Regarding diesel supply, I am sure someone else can chime in, but there are a couple things to note:

1) BMW may or may not support biodiesel. In the wonderful state of Illinois, our state government has decided to subsidize B20 biodiesel, which is 20% bio. Thus it has become very difficult to find regular diesel. I am all for renewable energy, but VW and Mercedes initially told owners to avoid the B20. This was problematic for my TDI Jetta. Recently VWoA has decided that B20 is OK after all.
2) Diesel can occasionally be tricky to find. But with a 700 mile range or whatever, who cares!
3) BMW's and any modern diesel require Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel. About 5 years ago you would still see Low Sulfur Diesel, which could damage the car. Fortunately ULSD is universal at this point so this should not be a problem.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 535d
On our trip from Arkansas to Wyoming, never ran across Biodiesel. In fact I've never seen it. I think that is a midwest thing - I keep hearing about it in Illinois.

That said, BMW says "no" to B20 (Biodiesel.)

Cold Weather, DAP, LED Lights, Premium Package, Shades, MC Seats, HK Sound

Old 08-29-2014, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535d
535d?

I must agree with the replies so far. I really like the 535d. It accelerates and cruises just fine and it looks nice, too. I drove all three of the 5 series models before making my decision. The combination of gas mileage, driving dynamics, and information on this forum, made my decision easier.

As for the stereo.....I like my music, so I have the "premium" sound in the 535d. In my opinion, however, it is nothing to write home about. Maybe someone can recommend some good settings. All of the test vehicles that I drove had the HK audio, so I cannot compare how much better the HK is to the base stereo. Before this car, I had the e70 X5. That car had the premium sound and I think it was made by Phillips. In my opinion, that stereo system blows this one away easily.

To find diesel stations, I use the GasBuddy app. It finds the stations as well as the best prices.

Last edited by Gian; 08-29-2014 at 10:15 AM. Reason: typos
Old 08-29-2014, 07:03 AM
Travel Fever

Mein Auto: 535dx
You will be fine in SC. In Northeast, many stations only carry gasoline only, but there're more and more selling diesel now. I drive my 535d into NYC to work everyday during rush hour traffic. I average 30-31 mpg. The worst day is 26.9mpg, the best day is 34.2mpg. There is no issue in handling. It has quick acceleration and responsive.

Just the other day, I-495 was having some worse than usual traffic, so I drove through backstreet to another highway. As I got to the traffic light, I was on the far right lane and the highway on ramp was at the far far left lane side (I was about 60 ft to get to the on ramp). I set the car in sports mode and stepped on the gas pedal once the light turned green. It out-accelerated all cars and I was first into the highway.

I've had experience in 6 cylinders and 8 cylinders gasoline. I'm now a fully converted diesel owner - 2 cars. I'm not looking back.

Stereo - mine is base model. I have HK on my Merc GL (I didn't have a choice, it came with the package). The only time I can tell the difference is when I crank up the volume which I seldom do. I found base model just fine especially I listen to news radio all the time. Well, I always believe if someone wants to listen to good music, get a nice 2 channel system at home.

MJ14 535dx - Imperial Blue
MJ10 550 GT - Imperial Blue (retired)
MJ07 530i - Silver Grey (Sold)

Last edited by mason; 08-29-2014 at 07:09 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 550xi M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback7 View Post
On our trip from Arkansas to Wyoming, never ran across Biodiesel. In fact I've never seen it. I think that is a midwest thing - I keep hearing about it in Illinois.

That said, BMW says "no" to B20 (Biodiesel.)
As I understand it, diesel fuel supply in Illinois is a terrible problem, as most stations carry B20 (20% biofuel), and BMW specifies no more than 5% (B5). My sales guy in Chicago says he is stuck with a large number of 3-series diesels he can't recommend in good conscience.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:37 AM
redhot47fla

Diesel: Aside, apparently, from Illinois, you won't have any problem finding diesel fuel, assuming that you plan ahead a little. And, yes, that 700-mile range makes it easy to plan ahead. One tip: Carry some pocket-sized wipes in the car. Diesel pump handles can get a tad greasy.

Sound system: I found that the HK system in my 2014 is superior to the base system we had in the 2013. However, if you listen mostly to talk radio, it won't make any difference at all. And if you listen to music mostly on satellite radio, it will make only a minor difference because satradio signals are so compressed that even the highest-end system is of modest benefit, imo.

The 535d: Get it. You will not be sorry.

2014 535d: Carbon Black/Mocha, M Sport/704 suspension, DAP/DA Plus, Lighting Package, Luxury Seating Package, Premium Package, SAT, Soft-Close doors, Power sunshade, HK sound.
Retired: 2013 535i, Space Gray Metallic, Oyster/Black Dakota, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package, Technology Package

Last edited by redhot47fla; 08-29-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535d x drive
Yes I was specifically referring to whether or not stations carry diesel. All diesel sold now is ultra-low sulphur, which is the only type allowed for use. Since you are in SC, I'd imagine more than 80% of the local stations can provide the appropriate diesel fuel. The number in NY is now about 70% which is fine.

I have the HK, but if you're listening to mostly talk it won't make much difference. My only experience with the standard stereo is on loaners, and it seems fine.

When I filled up in Delaware the other day, the miles to empty jumped to 751!! I don't think range will be a problem

Good luck with it!
2014 535d xdrive ED 4/28/14 Glacier silver, Ivory Interior-Soft Close Doors, Ash wood, Harmon Kardon, Cold Package, Driver Assistant and Driver Assistant Plus, Luxury Line, Lighting Package, Luxury Seating Package, Premium Package

Old 08-29-2014, 10:54 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: Car with 4 wheels
I'm coming from a Lexus GS 350 lease (24 months) and also looking into the 5 series. I've heard great things about the 535d and with the 415lbs of torque and stellar gas mileage, it's a great balance.

As for the sound system, I did notice a difference in the HK vs stock but you can only really tell when you turn the volume up.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:04 AM
BMW Snow Plow User

Mein Auto: 330ci Convertible 2004
I drove an older diesel 5-series for many years. Loved it and would do it again if I didn't want a convertible. That was in Europe where is saves a lot of money.

Here in the US there is some uncertainty about how the diesel prices (and maybe taxes on it) will develop. There are some concerns about the quality of the fuel, both regards to general cleanness and quality ("what do the trucks care?") and with biodiesel content which might be set to bad values on a state level.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:07 AM
BMW Snow Plow User

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedog View Post
One other question - the car I am looking at has the base BMW stereo system. I wanted the Harmon Kardon but none of their 2014 models on closeout have it. How is the base BMW stereo? I am not an audiophile - listen to Sirius talk radio alot and then some music on Sirius or through iphone. Is the base stereo fine for normal people like me?
I didn't listen to the US base in the 5-series. The one in the 4-series is terrible, although of course it can noodle some music, if you don't need treble.

The problem is that the HK isn't great either. Now you have bass and treble but mids are sucky. For a car that isn't leased those $875 would probably be better spent on aftermarket speakers if voice, guitars and other mid-based music things are very important to you.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:58 AM

Thanks for the advice on the HK system. It is shocking to me that BMW (and other brands) sell $50 - $70k cars with crappy stereo systems in them. I have a $75k Lexus LS460 now with the same issue - average stereo system at best.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:40 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: Car with 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiddie View Post
I didn't listen to the US base in the 5-series. The one in the 4-series is terrible, although of course it can noodle some music, if you don't need treble.

The problem is that the HK isn't great either. Now you have bass and treble but mids are sucky. For a car that isn't leased those $875 would probably be better spent on aftermarket speakers if voice, guitars and other mid-based music things are very important to you.

Wish the price gap were a tad closer from the HK to the B&O. 4k may be worth it to those purchasing but not for people leasing. At least IMHO

Old 08-30-2014, 06:00 PM

Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Gian, have you adjusted the EQ on your HK stereo? You won't hear the quality if you have all the levels set to the middle. Try using a "C" pattern with the top EQ set near max, then lower toward the center and then reverse the pattern at the bottom. You should hear a difference.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:17 PM
BMW Snow Plow User

Quote:
Thanks for the advice on the HK system. It is shocking to me that BMW (and other brands) sell $50 - $70k cars with crappy stereo systems in them. I have a $75k Lexus LS460 now with the same issue - average stereo system at best.
The situation is even more absurd with Mercedes. Mostly the same HK, but deleting the EQ (like in the 2-series ). In the E class, and the E class has no upgrade above it, where the 5-series at least has it on offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan01 View Post
Wish the price gap were a tad closer from the HK to the B&O. 4k may be worth it to those purchasing but not for people leasing. At least IMHO
Isn't it 4500? That's absurd. If I keep the car 15 years that is still $25 extra per month, not counting interest. Heck, I am crazy about good sound and I have nothing in my home nearly that expensive.

You might say it is $3625, over the HK.

But really, given how much better a set of $1000 after market speakers sound, just no.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:30 PM
Travel Fever

Mein Auto: 535dx
Everybody tries to squeeze out every dollar. It's your car not home theatre.

MJ14 535dx - Imperial Blue
MJ10 550 GT - Imperial Blue (retired)
MJ07 530i - Silver Grey (Sold)
Old 08-31-2014, 06:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328d
Quote:
Before I pull the trigger (later today), can members please provide comments, suggestions, guidance regarding the pros/cons of the 535d vs 535i or other options? Are there any downsides to the 535d that I am not seeing?
I've driven the 535d once,a very refined vehicle indeed.In fact I think I was more impressed with it than I was with my recently departed Bluetec (diesel).FWIW *my* basic attitude is that once you've gone diesel you never go back.I'll never again drive anything else.

Fuelly
Old 08-31-2014, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328d
Quote:
Thanks for the positive review! Regarding local supply of diesel, what do you mean? There are local stations that carry diesel - is that enough? Or are there certain types or grades I need to get?
In short order one comes to learn the stations near him that carry diesel.The stations on the route to work,etc.However one must be a bit mindful of the fuel gage when traveling in unknown territory.I,personally,have never come close to running dry in my travels up and down the East Coast,into the Midwest,to and from Denver and in Central and Eastern Canada.As for "grades",that was once an issue in the US but now that ultra low sulphur diesel is universal nationwide it's not.

Fuelly

Last edited by listerone; 08-31-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:59 AM
redhot47fla

Waynedog: An update please. Did you pull the trigger? Details?

Old 09-01-2014, 12:44 PM

Update - I have not made the purchase yet. Got a very attractive offer for a 3 year/12k per year lease for $19,600 up front payment out the door. This includes everything. My only cost to own the car is the $19,600. MSRP of $66k. Reasons for not buying yet are lack of HK system (I think the base stereo is very poor) and more importantly my concerns about seat comfort with the Multi Contour seats. I started another thread on this http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=793799. It seems like it must just be me but when I extend the front thigh support extender, it leaves a "gap" in the seat and the rear part of the seat that did not extend now has a ridge where the "gap" starts and digs into my thighs. I do ride with the front of the seat raised up and the rear lowered which probably makes it worse. My current LS460 has the whole bottom seat move forward about 6 inches (independent of the back of the seat) which provides great support and comfort which has spoiled me for several years. So I am not sure what to do at this point.