Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-12-2013, 09:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
Denied reprogramming of Auto Stop / Start function

So my car was back at the dealer for something minor from the purchase, and while there I requested to have the Auto Stop / Start function set to remember last setting instead of defaulting to "on".

The SA told me that because I had a late build date 2013 535i that BMW would not allow them to make the change. My car was built in 6/2013.

Has anyone else heard of this?

Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 12-13-2013, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
I was denied the same change on an early build 535i & was told a bs answer that it was a safety feature.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 535XI
That's crazy. How is that a safety feature? I'm looking at a new 2014 this spring to replace my M-Sport, but if that's their line I might pass. Did they make any changes to the 2014 models to default to last used without reprogramming?
Old 12-13-2013, 03:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crmgr View Post
That's crazy. How is that a safety feature? I'm looking at a new 2014 this spring to replace my M-Sport, but if that's their line I might pass. Did they make any changes to the 2014 models to default to last used without reprogramming?
Yes, the 2014's default to the last used setting. I coded mine to default to off, but prior to that the last used setting worked well.
Coded myself: Turn off power when opening door, ASS off by default, Enable turn signals in HUD, DVD in Motion, Transfer telephone ringtone to car, Enable tire pressure and temperature display in iDrive. Disable iDrive legal disclaimer, Disable Rear/Side camera disclaimers.
20/80 Highway/City
Old 12-13-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotfro View Post
So my car was back at the dealer for something minor from the purchase, and while there I requested to have the Auto Stop / Start function set to remember last setting instead of defaulting to "on".

The SA told me that because I had a late build date 2013 535i that BMW would not allow them to make the change. My car was built in 6/2013.

Thanks.
That sounds absurd. Check in the coding forum for someone in your area who can code this for you. You'll find a list of other features you might want to get coded there as well.
Coded myself: Turn off power when opening door, ASS off by default, Enable turn signals in HUD, DVD in Motion, Transfer telephone ringtone to car, Enable tire pressure and temperature display in iDrive. Disable iDrive legal disclaimer, Disable Rear/Side camera disclaimers.
20/80 Highway/City

Last edited by Sonicendeavor; 12-13-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:17 PM
just like that, he's gone

Mein Auto: 2013 535
Coding is very easy and not as scary as it sounds in the Coding forum.

It's really a cool way to add significant new features like auto fold mirrors and tire temps, etc as well as turn off annoying stuff like ass and disclaimers and chimes, etc.
2001 E46 330Ci Sport, Steel Grey, 5-speed MT....and more

Old 12-13-2013, 05:07 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpawmoses View Post
I was denied the same change on an early build 535i & was told a bs answer that it was a safety feature.
Your SAs lied to your faces.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 12-13-2013, 05:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 M6 Coupe
Generally if you ask, several times, perhaps go to the service manager, they will do it for you. ASS seems to be one of the few things they will do, but only if you are persistent.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
I have a late build 2013 535I. I had this done while the car was in for annual oil change. No discussion, no argument. Sounds like BMW needs to get better control and consistency in its dealers. This is an approved change and all dealers should give a cheery aye aye and accopmlish it.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
Coding is very easy and not as scary as it sounds in the Coding forum.

It's really a cool way to add significant new features like auto fold mirrors and tire temps, etc as well as turn off annoying stuff like ass and disclaimers and chimes, etc.
+1. Even though I am a technical person, I was hesitant due to the perceived learning curve, but once I decided to just do it, the process is really quite straightforward. It's $100 or so for the cable and software token, and some time expenditure to read through the newbie coding thread but it's a rewarding experience, at least for me. That reminds me, I put together my own guide based on all the info I read from various posts and added an overview of what each step is doing. I need to post it.
20/80 Highway/City
Old 12-13-2013, 09:10 PM
just like that, he's gone

Mein Auto: 2013 535
Once you get a cheap XP laptop and install everything it's really not too tricky. We all owe Shawn Sheridan a ton for his extraordinary support efforts. I've got an E90 335i on the way and will need to code it next so I'll have to get back in the coding forum and start researching for it.
2001 E46 330Ci Sport, Steel Grey, 5-speed MT....and more

Old 12-13-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
Once you get a cheap XP laptop and install everything it's really not too tricky. We all owe Shawn Sheridan a ton for his extraordinary support efforts. I've got an E90 335i on the way and will need to code it next so I'll have to get back in the coding forum and start researching for it.
The current version of E-Sys runs great on Windows 7 so there's no need for XP or even a dedicated laptop.
Yeah, Shawn is exceptionally knowledgeable and helpful.
I test drove an E90 335i years ago, and can still remember that drive to this day. Great car that you'll no doubt enjoy.
20/80 Highway/City
Old 12-23-2013, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive MSport
That sounds like pure BS!! Go straight to your salesperson and discuss it with them... if he wants your next sale, I bet he gets the service dept to get it done!

2008 535xi
2011 535xi
2013 535xi MSport
Old 12-23-2013, 05:49 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shua22 View Post
That sounds like pure BS!! Go straight to your salesperson and discuss it with them... if he wants your next sale, I bet he gets the service dept to get it done!
Yeah, total crap.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 08-14-2014, 09:58 PM

Mein Auto: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpawmoses View Post
Quote:

Thanks.
Those stupid SA's (SSA) are real ASS'es.
They are insulting your intelligience.

Sonicendeavor, have you compiled your treatise on coding yet?
Old 08-15-2014, 12:49 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: BMW
If you do not want to go through the learning process how to disable ASS and experiment on your car you can use our professional services.

Shoot us an email with your VIN if you are interested...
Phone (USA): (646) 439-7920 (7:00am - 3:00pm ET) :: info@bimmer-tech.net :: www.bimmer-tech.net
Installation facilities worldwide.

Follow us on
Old 08-15-2014, 03:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicendeavor View Post
The current version of E-Sys runs great on Windows 7 so there's no need for XP or even a dedicated laptop.
Yeah, Shawn is exceptionally knowledgeable and helpful.
I test drove an E90 335i years ago, and can still remember that drive to this day. Great car that you'll no doubt enjoy.
I just did mine with Windows 8.1 and had no issues at all with E-Sys. It all went like the info sheets said it should
Old 08-15-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Choo View Post
Sonicendeavor, have you compiled your treatise on coding yet?
Yes, the link to my PDF walkthrough of a coding session is posted in the coding forum:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&postcount=767
20/80 Highway/City
Old 08-15-2014, 03:35 PM
Shogunman

Mein Auto: 2013 640i GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Your SAs lied to your faces.
+1....you read my mind here.

My dealer fixed this for me. Here's a link at the thread on the process....possibly the OP needs to educate the SA or escalate it or go find another dealer.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=739951
Old 08-15-2014, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535ix 2008 E61
SA baloney. When I had a '12 F10, my dealer reset it to "last is default" with no hesitation. The '14s do this without coding.
Other: '08 E61
Other: '14 MB E350 wagon
Past: Too many to list, but includes 3,5,7 & 8 series BMW, C, E and S MBenzes, an Alfa Romeo, an MGB, plus others.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:10 PM

Mein Auto: '13 535xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
It's sad to read about these BMW Dealer Service Center employees who behave in this unprofessional manner. I suppose some employees (regardless of what company / organization they work for) need to try another line of work! And, maybe BMW Dealers need to hold their employees to higher standards.

"Seek and ye shall find" ... start with your owner's manual!

Get add'l discounts and cash rebates at your favorite e-stores incl Tirerack!

Mr. Rebates
Old 08-15-2014, 08:29 PM

Mein Auto: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicendeavor View Post
Yes, the link to my PDF walkthrough of a coding session is posted in the coding forum:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&postcount=767
Sonicendeavor, I've downloaded your document.
A big thank you; and wow, it is very well written, professional, I must say!
Old Yesterday, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Choo View Post
Sonicendeavor, I've downloaded your document.
A big thank you; and wow, it is very well written, professional, I must say!
Thanks! I'm glad you found it useful.
20/80 Highway/City