Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 06-21-2014, 06:54 PM
Fastpaddler

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW528i
BMW Recall Campaign NO. 2014-127:VANOS Assembly Bolts

Received 20/June/2014 Notice re recall notice for certain 2010-2012 BMW 1 series, 3 Series, 5 Series, 5 Series Gran Turismo, X3 SAV, X5 SAV, X6 SAV and Z4 Models.
Description of Problem:Involves the housing bolts of the variable camshaft timing (VANOS) adjustment unit. The bolts may possibly loosen over time and, under certain circumstances, may break. As a result, the reduced engine power "safe mode" may be activated. In rare cases, the engine cannot be started after switching off, In very rare cases, the engine could stall which could lead to a crash.

2. I phoned my BMW service dept and they said NO Canadian cars have been affected so far. They are waiting for an order of parts from BMW in Germany.

3. I do not know how this may affect USA vehicles.

4. Please check with your dealer. I understand the refitment of new bolts is a 4 hr job and is covered by BMW. My 2011 BMW5128i ia on the recall list here.

FYI

AL

Last edited by Fastpaddler; 06-21-2014 at 06:56 PM.
Advertisement
Old 06-22-2014, 12:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
I was in my local dealer's store earlier this week and asked the service guys about this (my car is affected). He said that BMWUSA had told him that they would have the part number(s) in the system by the end of June, and then the dealers could start to order the parts to perform the job. No idea if the same timeline will hold for Canada.

I bought an i3 to add to my GT for running around town...hope to pick it up tomorrow if everything works out as planned. Most of my driving is only a few miles, and this should be fun around town. The GT is great for those longer trips (just got back from about 1K-miles, and the trip computer said 30mpg averaged, which is not bad at all on an x-drive!). But, with local fuel costs and running around town, my energy costs on the i3 should be around $0.05/mile verses closer to $0.20 for the GT, and no issues about polluting the oil from lots of short trips, or muffler, or battery issues, etc.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:15 PM
Fastpaddler

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW528i
Congrats on the I3. Looks like something to consider. No Double Vanos bolt problems with that,
Yes, We expect parts about the end of June and then I get the 5er scheduled for replacing all 8 bolts. Might be an extension of warrantee too. I am checking on that.

cheers
AL
Old 07-26-2014, 06:29 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
Early this week I asked my dealer's service manager what was happening with this and he told me that they've received the special tools required for them to replace the bolts, but they are still waiting for the bolts to become available as a repair part so that they can start doing the required replacement. Originally, (prior to getting the special tools) he though they may have to replace the entire assembly. Anyway, things are getting closer to being able to perform the required work.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Are all 2010 to 2012 535i in the US affected, I have not receive a recall letter on my car yet.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: 12 BMW 535I MS Alpine Wht
I have checked http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...er/recall.aspx several times over the last couple weeks. The past week it has been down. I called the 800 number and they didn't have any information.

Mods - Quad Exhaust Tips, HID Fog Lights, Clear Front Reflectors, M5 Spoiler, Calipers Painted Black, 12.5 mm Rear Wheel Spacers, Tint - 5% Rear, 35% Front & 50% Windshield - BlackVue DR500GW Dash Cam, Blendmount for Valentine One

Coding by tuesday (aka; itschase) (Chase)
Old 08-22-2014, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
I received an email from my local dealer on July 31 that the parts were finally in, and to call and schedule the recall service. I scheduled my appointment for today,dropped off my car, discussed the recall service to be performed, and left in my loaner car. I get a call around lunch that they actually don't have the parts, and they also don't even have the protocol as to what to do with the parts if they had them. So I am going to pick my car back up today. Not sure what is going on.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:05 PM
Rogue2258

Mein Auto: 2010 550i GT, 2011 535i
We received a letter and brought our 535 in to our downtown dealer. They inspected the engine and said that they did not see any leakes and that it was not necessary to do the campaign. I accepted that at the time it was told to me a month ago, but now I am beginning to second guess what transpired. I will be calling my SA and get deeper into it. We just picked up the additional platinum coverage to 84/100k through him so I expect him to make sure that we get detailed explanation of what is going on with this recall.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix sport
Sounds like BS to me if you received the first letter. Check here to find out directly from BMW. It may not be up to date, but it's a start.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i XDrive
I received the recall letter for my 535 about a month ago. The advisor at the local dealership checked my VIN if my car is in fact on the recall and confirmed that it is.
About a week ago, the BMW tech who was working on my car for another problem discovered part of the VANOS bolt broke off and was sitting in my oil pan. They have since replaced the bolts as indicated in the recall letter. My concern though is the piece that actually broke off. Is there any issues to the broken piece that I should ask my dealership to check? Would there be any danger of small parts of that bolt that could harm parts of my engine? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 08-24-2014, 07:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535 xDrive
Just checked my VIN and on the Status: Remedy not yet available...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-24-2014, 09:25 AM

The website shows "ready to fix" for my VIN. I made an appointment. The SA said that they are just getting the parts and instructions in I received the first letter a month+ ago and no second letter.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: '11 535i
My SA advised me last month that the recall was finally ready to be done and we scheduled an appointment for today. Last week he told me the recall was 'pending' and yesterday said the recall was cancelled. He is as confused as I am on this.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:35 AM

It is confusing. My vehicle showed up on the BMWUSA.com recall list a month ago, my SA also had it on his list and said parts and instructions were arriving at the dealership. He made an appointment for a fix last week. I brought it in and he said I'm not on the list anymore. He indicated that it was probably due to a lack of parts or a revision in the instructions. He said he would let me know when they are ready to roll and never mentioned the word cancel. I checked BMWUSA.com and sure enough I am no longer on the list.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:53 AM

Mein Auto: '11 535i
My SA didn't mention the word 'cancel' either but it was listed as 'pending' one day and 'no campaigns' the next. If I try entering my VIN at the BMW website it responds "Safety recall information is not available at this time." Puzzling.