Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-14-2015, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: MB E500
535d purchase advice

Good afternoon everyone,
I have been watching the forum for quite some time now contemplating with the idea of purchasing a 535d. I am getting close to that point so I am looking for your advice.
I am not looking for anything fancy (just Bluetooth, heated seats and RWD -only). Based on this what is the lowest price I can get it for? I was quoted at a NY dealership 49k for a 2014 back in November.
For 2015 the lowest price I got was 52k; does it sound right?
Are there any 2014 left so I can bargain on them?
Just to fill in the blanks I am a long time MB Diesel owner and also have a 2013 Passat TDI 6 speeds manual with 40k miles made last year alone. Never owned a BMW before although I was always an admirer.
The reason for getting a low priced one is because I will be probably trading it in 2 years with close to 100k miles. Could this be a hassle to maintain and mechanically problematic if I will keep it to 200k
I know what you will say….. Passat is a better alternative ….can buy 2 for the price of the 5-series. But I am bored of it.

Thanks for your advice

Last edited by radunegru; 01-14-2015 at 11:09 AM.
Advertisement
Old 01-14-2015, 12:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F11 530D
Yes you can do 100k without too much costs.
I ve done that twice. And on the way for a third time.
200k kms no problem 200k in miles I do not know, but when driven properly, not for only getting the groceries and the children from school, you 'll probably make it without much problems, especially on a car without all the electronic thinkery, M sport and too big wheels and BMW disconnected.
The Passat is the moneywiser and duller choice, the inline 6 3 litre BMW diesel RWD is quite something else to drive.
Enough horsepower and lots of torque. Get good tires on, a fat steeringwheel, i like the comfort seating, the rest, well; just indulgence nothing more.
The VW is nowhere near this car for long and fast highway travels, so this BMW is really worth the investment.

Last edited by Sophisto; 01-14-2015 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:16 PM

Mein Auto:
535d purchase advice

I had a 2014 VW Jetta TDI and hated everything about it except the fuel mileage. The way it looked, the way it drove, poor suspension, primitive interior etc.... I traded it in for my 2014 535d xdrive and Im extremely glad I did. I now have complete luxury along with the fuel mileage I wanted. I drive over 80 miles round trip to work everyday so I wanted to be comfortable and have my fuel mileage as well. I have the best of both worlds now. Ive owned alot of vehicles and my 535d is the best car Ive ever owned. A matter of fact...its incredible

Last edited by Jersey_Marine; 01-14-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:24 PM

I don't want to go to a well traveled path but, what is the real life fuel economy?
Not that I care that much but my passat was advertising 32/43 and I get 45 on a 80highway/20 city since new... never reset it. BMW advertise 38mpg hwy is it a real figure?
Old 01-14-2015, 01:33 PM

There goes 70 litres of diesel in my tank, I can empty that in 650 kms, normally it will last 850 kms, but only doing highways I have done 1100 kms on one tank a number of times. Do the math yourselve, the answer is just how you are driving the car. "It is all in the weight of your right foot"

Last edited by Sophisto; 01-14-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:38 PM

Mein Auto:
535d purchase advice

I just hit the 5K mile mark on my car and my fuel mileage has improved. The motor should hit peak fuel mileage at 10K miles so it will get even better. I usually drive faster than the efficiency range so I usually average 35mpg
Old 01-14-2015, 01:38 PM

No heavy foot for me on the reguilar basis , just for an occasional "italian tune-up" other than that I can beat manufacturer mpg on all of my vehicles.
Yeas I got the transformation, i had a 2.0 Peugeot 508 leased for 30k km last year in EU, and use to get 1100 km on a 70 l tank. Great car!!!!
Old 01-14-2015, 01:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 535d
My real world is about 33 MPG in 50/50 mixed city highway driving. I don't drive it like I stole it, but I don't baby it either.

Trip from Arkansas to Wyoming and back averaged exactly 40 MPG (3,287 miles.) Best tank was 42 MPG driving east out of Wyoming. Had the cruise set to 90 MPH indicated (80 MPH interstate.)

We have about 20K miles on our 2014. No troubles and love the car.

Fuelly data is in my signature.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1728.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	486688  

Cold Weather, DAP, LED Lights, Premium Package, Shades, MC Seats, HK Sound

Old 01-14-2015, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535d
As far as reliability is concerned, my 535D is at about 30K miles and zero problems with the car as of yet. Bulletproof so far(knock on wood).
I'm average about 34 MPG driving in Sport most of the time with a lead foot.
Buy one, great car, you will love it.
I'm about due for a full review now that I have had the car just over a year. I have nothing but good things to say.

European delivery 9/13/2014, 2014 535d MSport, Carbon Black, Mocha Nappa, Anthracite trim Cold Weather Package, Driver Assistance Package, Harman Kardon, SAT, Multi Contour Seats
----------------------------
Past BMWs
1997 528i
2001 530i Sport pkg.-ED then 265K glorious miles, gone but not forgotten....
Old 01-14-2015, 02:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535xd
Quote:
Originally Posted by radunegru View Post
I don't want to go to a well traveled path but, what is the real life fuel economy?
Not that I care that much but my passat was advertising 32/43 and I get 45 on a 80highway/20 city since new... never reset it. BMW advertise 38mpg hwy is it a real figure?
My Fuelly is below. Mostly city driving at altitude with a lot of hills. I am also known to have a pretty heavy right foot.

2014 535 M-Sport | Carbon Black | Ivory Nappa | Premium | Lighting | Cold Weather | Driver Ass | HK Sound | Multi-contour Seats | SAT |

2014 328 M-Sport | Mineral Grey | Black Dakota | Premium | Lighting | Cold Weather | Driver Ass | Driver Ass Plus | HK Sound | Dynamic Handling | Tech Pkg | Alarm |
Old 01-14-2015, 03:14 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535d
I average 21-22mpg in stop-and-go, short-trip city driving. I have calibrated my mpg readout, too. My '07 530i averaged 15-16mpg in the same conditions. The increased fuel efficient is real.

I always drive in Sport and mostly shift manually.

Quote:

Current
2014 535d, M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha Nappa
Prior
2007 530i, White/Black, 6MT
2001 530i, Orient Blue/Beige, 5MT
1994 325is, White/Black 5MT
1984 325e, White/Black 5MT
1983 318i, Delphin/Beige 4MT

Last edited by Robert A; 01-14-2015 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:53 PM
BMW Snow Plow User

Mein Auto: e89 Z4, e46 330Ci vert
If you really want to be low on options then you might come out overall cheaper with a 528i. Of course that one sounds worse. You would have to play an investment game of guessing future gasoline and diesel prices, separately, but the lower base price will take a lot of miles to use up. The N20 might be easier on the work to be done to 100,000 miles.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: '14 535d M-Sport
My DD before the 535d was a Passat TDI (DSG tranny in SEL trim). Great car, but nowhere near the 5 in any way.

I drive a lot too, about 100 miles daily. My main concern was stopping for refills - I do not want to do it more than once a week!
I go over 600 miles on one tank without a problem. Averaging about 36mpg (rwd model) and used to average just a little better with the VW (about 37mpg). I log it myself, so not relying on the trip comp alone. Same commute, same driving style...well, most of the time- the torque on this thing is very addicting.

Buy the 535d. You won't regret it! It's an awesome car.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:47 AM

Thank you for all your great answers, but how about the price . what is the lowest price I can get it? I hate to negociate apr's fee'e etc with the dealer. I wil go with a check in my hand and pay it all.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Thank you for all your great answers, but how about the price . what is the lowest price I can get it? I hate to negociate apr's fee'e etc with the dealer. I wil go with a check in my hand and pay it all.
Do not worry about the lowest price, you'll be hit by depreciation so hard, getting the lowest price is just peanuts compaired to that. Get the best car with a good dealer and enjoy the car! (and save your money by not buying too expensive BMW thinkery)
Old 01-15-2015, 12:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535xd
On the 535d you should have no problem getting $500 over invoice before any incentives.

2014 535 M-Sport | Carbon Black | Ivory Nappa | Premium | Lighting | Cold Weather | Driver Ass | HK Sound | Multi-contour Seats | SAT |

2014 328 M-Sport | Mineral Grey | Black Dakota | Premium | Lighting | Cold Weather | Driver Ass | Driver Ass Plus | HK Sound | Dynamic Handling | Tech Pkg | Alarm |
Old 01-15-2015, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535d
Do not even consider buying the car. Lease it in the beginning, then buy it out at the end of the lease. The residual is way above the actual value and there's a decent change you be able to buy it out at a discounted price. BMW embeds significant incentives in the residual.

Quote:
Good afternoon everyone,
I have been watching the forum for quite some time now contemplating with the idea of purchasing a 535d. I am getting close to that point so I am looking for your advice.
I am not looking for anything fancy (just Bluetooth, heated seats and RWD -only). Based on this what is the lowest price I can get it for? I was quoted at a NY dealership 49k for a 2014 back in November.
Just to fill in the blanks I am a long time MB Diesel owner and also have a 2013 Passat TDI 6 speeds manual with 40k miles made last year alone. Never owned a BMW before although I was always an admirer.
The reason for getting a low priced one is because I will be probably trading it in 2 years with close to 100k miles. Could this be a hassle to maintain and mechanically problematic if I will keep it to 200k
I know what you will say….. Passat is a better alternative ….can buy 2 for the price of the 5-series. But I am bored of it.

Thanks for your advice

Current
2014 535d, M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha Nappa
Prior
2007 530i, White/Black, 6MT
2001 530i, Orient Blue/Beige, 5MT
1994 325is, White/Black 5MT
1984 325e, White/Black 5MT
1983 318i, Delphin/Beige 4MT
Old 01-15-2015, 12:35 PM
BMW aficionado

Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
Use Edmunds or TruCar to figure out invoice price of the 535d configured the way you like. It will be roughly 92% of MSRP.

A good target to aim would be invoice MINUS $1000 for dealer-stock car, invoice for bespoke car (factoring in the $500 eco-credit for 535d).

BMW CCA Member 498664
Old 01-15-2015, 03:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535Xd, 2012 X5d
Exclamation

Quote:
Good afternoon everyone,

Thanks for your advice
Like a VW TDI or MB diesel, the 535d's engine will finally finish breaking in at 100k miles. How long can a properly maintained BMW diesel last? The world may never know......

I ordered my 2014 535d Xdrive on 7/1/2013, about 24 hours or so after the car became buildable on BMW's website. My order officially went into the system on 7/1/13 and production started almost immediately. About 2 weeks later the car was built and going through all of its quality checks before leaving the factory. I took delivery on 8/14/13 at my BMW dealer (Tulley BMW in Nashua NH). I wasn't able to do an ED on it as I was more focused on getting the car than planning an ED. My work schedule made it a bad time to take a vacation for an ED. I'll consider doing an ED the next time around!

Here's how I optioned mine:

A52 Space Gray Metallic color
LZMW Mocha Nappa Leather w/Black Dashboard
ZMM M Sport
ZCW Cold Weather Package
ZDA Driver Assistance Package
ZDB Driver Assistance Plus
ZDH Dynamic Handling Package
ZLP Lighting Package (Full LED lights!!!!)
ZPP Premium Package
337 M Sport Package
2TB Sport Automatic Transmission w/shift paddles
323 Soft-close automatic doors
456 Multi-contour seats
4U1 Ceramic controls
5AP Decoding for no-dazzle high-beam assistance
6F2 Bang & Olufsen Sound System
6UK Night Vision with Pedestrian Detection

I'm at 43k miles on it and loving it!!! Absolutely the best car I've ever owned. It's my first BMW but not my first diesel. I'm not afraid of the diesel engine and it's planned to be a long term keeper, a big part of why I decided to load it up the way I wanted. I've been saying NO to gasoline and driving diesel cars since 2002. Gasoline cars of any make or model are not on the radar at all. I absolutely will NOT own another gasser ever again if I can help it. No more gassers!! All future vehicle purchases of mine shall be DIESEL vehicles.

I recently did a road trip from NH to Cocoa Beach FL and averaged 36 MPG for the whole trip. I wasn't driving it for mileage. With a diesel vehicle you don't have to baby it to get great MPGs. Just get out there and put your foot into it and DRIVE it! I drive mine like it's the Autobahn burner that it is. I regularly had my foot into it and was haulin' ar$e at 70-80 MPH the whole way (except in a few 55 MPH zones in a few areas).

Don't get a stripped 535-anything. You're already into it for more than $50k, so go ahead and load up like I did but most importantly get the options YOU want and can afford. I learned this lesson many years ago with a Honda purchase. I had a choice of 3 models of the Honda CRX, a cheap version, a middle version, and a top of the line version. I opted for the middle version. It was a great car and I was happy with it but I kept wanting the top of the line model. Had I gotten the top of the line model right from the outset, I would have been happier than I was and kept the car a lot longer than I did. So with my 535d, given that it's planned to be a long term keeper, I decided to either go high roller or go home. My final MSRP was $85k after loading it up. I got a $3k "loyalty" discount from having bought a VW Jetta SportWagen there back in 2010 when my dealer was also a VW dealer.

Good luck.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:46 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRIE I View Post
As far as reliability is concerned, my 535D is at about 30K miles and zero problems with the car as of yet. Bulletproof so far(knock on wood).
I'm average about 34 MPG driving in Sport most of the time with a lead foot.
Buy one, great car, you will love it.
I'm about due for a full review now that I have had the car just over a year. I have nothing but good things to say.
Nothing but good things to say here too! My 535d has been absolute bulletproof so far too.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:50 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert A View Post
Do not even consider buying the car. Lease it in the beginning, then buy it out at the end of the lease. The residual is way above the actual value and there's a decent change you be able to buy it out at a discounted price. BMW embeds significant incentives in the residual.
Leasing won't work for me with my logging over 100 miles per day with my commute from Nashua NH to Framingham MA. I paid CASH for my 535d. All fully paid for before driving the car off the dealer's lot. I like not having car payments! Leasing may work for some people, especially if they don't mind having perpetual car payments. In the end leasing is still a very expensive way to buy a car.

Good luck.

Last edited by n1das; 01-15-2015 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:45 AM

Mein Auto: 535d
we are liking our 535d quite a lot really ,, have put almost 7k on it since October 2014, it's 2 wheel drive best driving ones we bought it at Annapolis BMW for well v well below sticker iMessage me maintenance is included for 4 years we did have a tire issue as soon as we drove off the lot but the dealership replaced all 4 very quickly at no charge computer says we get around 33mpg sounds about right At 5bucks I stopped and talked to a diesel MB owner there compared notes both similar cars IMHO good luck hope you find what you want I just got lucky...I'm always been lucky

Last edited by 535driver; 01-17-2015 at 07:48 AM.