Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-23-2013, 10:40 AM
Regional Sponsor

Mein Auto: BMW
Don Nguyen | F10 - Official vinyl wrapping pictures thread

This thread is dedicated to specifically F10s that I have vinyl wrapped. Most of what you're going to see done are typically roofs, chrome window trim being blacked out, and tinting tail lights. I also do other vinyl work on/for these cars, which I will also post. I am starting to get more and more of these cars, as more people have started purchasing and modifying them.

If you guys have any questions, feel free to post here or PM me directly for answers. If I get enough of a certain question via PM/e-mail, I'll post it on here for everyone to know/see.

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Advertisement
Old 10-23-2013, 10:40 AM
Regional Sponsor

I think I'll start out with the most common question that I get, which is should I go with matte black or gloss black vinyl when blacking out the chrome/aluminum trim around the windows. Here are some pictures of both on similar cars to give you guys an idea of how the differences are like and how they look.

Here is an example of matte black on the window trim:

Before:

After:

And here's an example of gloss black on the window trim:

-Don
Old 11-05-2013, 10:55 AM
Regional Sponsor

I know this is not on a BMW and I hope you guys can excuse me posting pictures of a Subaru in this section of the forum, but it's not often that I can show you guys how one of my vinyl wraps looks like and has held up after being on a car for 4 years.

This was one of the first cars that I did when 3M came out with the di-noc matte carbon fiber finish, which was about 4 years ago. The owner of this silver Subaru WRX STI came by to have me re-wrap his roof with the same 3M dinoc matte carbon fiber vinyl material. I took some close ups of the before to show you guys how the material looks like and holds up over time. The carbon fiber weave and all of the details are there, but it had started to lose some of its luster, which was why the owner of this car came back to have me redo the roof for him.

In the pictures with the vinyl removed, that was how the paint looked like right after removal and no or very minimal clean up was done at that point. I took pictures of the paint/roof right after the vinyl was removed to show you guys what the condition of the paint looks like that has had vinyl installed on a roof for roughly 4 years, which is probably going to be longer than most own people own their cars.

The lighting wasn't very good, since it was overcast that day, so I did my best to try and take some pictures to show you guys how the old material looks like compared to the new material. Hopefully you guys are able to see the details and differences in the up close pictures.

Before w/ old vinyl:

Old vinyl removed:

After w/ new vinyl installed:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 11-05-2013, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
What's a ballpark figure to wrap a whole car?

2011 550i Sport, premium, Dark Graphite
Old 11-13-2013, 04:48 PM
Regional Sponsor

On a black car more than any other car color, the chrome finish stands out quite a bit. The owner of this new black BMW F10 5 series had me black out the chrome window trim on his car with my matte black vinyl material. If he wanted to complete the black out look, I could have also done the small strip on the door handles and also the front amber reflector in the same matte black vinyl material or my gloss black finish so that it'd blend in with the car better. The owner of this car drove out to me in Anaheim Hills/Orange County to have the work done.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 11-15-2013, 12:16 AM
weissbiermeister

Mein Auto: F355 GTS, '11&'14 535Mspt
Can you wrap interior F10 trim with vinyl CF?

Any pics & cost estimates for that kind of work?
ED#1 '04 M3 Silver-Gray/Black ED'ed 5/04... Munich/Como/Modena/Monaco/Rapallo/Munich
ED#2 '05 M3 Comp. Pkg. Silver-Gray/Black ED'ed 9/05...Munich/F1 Ital. GP/Lugano/Lucerne/F1 Spa-Cologne
ED#3. '14 535i MSport-Carbon/Ivory ED'ed 10/13...Munich, Reutte, Como, Luzern, Zurich
Old 11-16-2013, 07:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
around how much would it cost to just get the crome around the windows done just like that?
Old 11-18-2013, 05:04 PM
Regional Sponsor

Did you need materials only, since I am based out of Souther California?

-Don
Old 11-18-2013, 09:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
im just wondering a around about how much that would cost I might get it done locally im just curious what you would charge someone to do this
Old 12-01-2013, 02:08 PM
Regional Sponsor

I applied my gloss black vinyl wrap material to his roof. I had some requests for closer up pictures of around the sunroof and antenna areas, to squash any doubts or worries that some had regarding those two areas. As you can see, everything is done very neatly and there are no seams or exposed areas of paint there. The owner of this car was around the Inland Empire area I believe, and came out to me in Orange County to have his roof done.

-Don

donathon@gmail.com
Old 12-15-2013, 08:47 PM

Mein Auto: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
I applied my gloss black vinyl wrap material to his roof. I had some requests for closer up pictures of around the sunroof and antenna areas, to squash any doubts or worries that some had regarding those two areas. As you can see, everything is done very neatly and there are no seams or exposed areas of paint there. The owner of this car was around the Inland Empire area I believe, and came out to me in Orange County to have his roof done.

-Don

donathon@gmail.com

do you know if he is a member?
Old 07-29-2014, 07:44 PM
Regional Sponsor

I've had requests from people to post some more pictures of interiors that I've done. This is on a BMW F10 5 series sedan that originally had brushed aluminum/silver trim accents in the car. The interior trim on this car is different than most other cars, since the interior trim pieces have an edging around the trim pieces, which you can see that I left unwrapped in the pictures. Also, most interiors I've done in the past were with the 3M dinoc matte carbon fiber material, however, the owner of this car wanted me a finish that was slightly glossier and blacker, so we went with with the 3M 1080 gloss carbon fiber finish. In addition to his interior trim, I also did his rear bumper diffuser piece in the same material. The owner of this car was from Pomona and drove out to me in Anaheim Hills, Orange County to have the work done.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 07-29-2014, 08:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i M-Sport
Pm me
Untitled[/url] 550i M Sport|300|LCSW|4MR|2TB|704|760|PDC|ZEC|6F2|ZDA|5AD |416|494|Dinan Stage 2|CF Spoiler,MirrorCaps&Splitter|M Performance Diffuser|Front Reflector Delete|Black Grilles|Rear Fog Lights|Euro Side Mirrors&Tail Lights|M5 Front & M550D Rear Sway Bars|20" HB04|Roof Wrapped|Coded|CCA member
Old 07-29-2014, 08:41 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 528i
I see that you also offer material for those who don't like in socall. Is that pre-cut? I just need to apply, correct?
Old 07-29-2014, 08:58 PM
Regional Sponsor

It is not pre cut, you'd have to trim it to fit. I do not sell pre cut materials, since any slight shift in applying the material, and you'll end up with material short in other areas, etc.

-Don
Old 09-07-2014, 12:58 PM
Regional Sponsor

Nothing fancy this time around. I vinyl wrapped the trunk handle, which was the last piece of chrome that was on this sapphire black 550 GT. The owner of this car was in Irvine as well. This will help out those who've asked me what my gloss black vinyl material looks like against metallic black paint/finishes. There's still a slight contrast to it, which I think is cool, so it still accents the trim pieces on the car a bit versus just blending in completely.

-Don

donathon@gmail.com
Old 09-07-2014, 02:04 PM

I'm a fan of the wrap. Looks great!
Untitled[/url] 550i M Sport|300|LCSW|4MR|2TB|704|760|PDC|ZEC|6F2|ZDA|5AD |416|494|Dinan Stage 2|CF Spoiler,MirrorCaps&Splitter|M Performance Diffuser|Front Reflector Delete|Black Grilles|Rear Fog Lights|Euro Side Mirrors&Tail Lights|M5 Front & M550D Rear Sway Bars|20" HB04|Roof Wrapped|Coded|CCA member
Old 09-11-2014, 08:22 PM
Regional Sponsor

Thanks!

Brand new alpine white BMW 550i F10 sedan, less than a week old. The owner of this car had me vinyl wrap the roof of his F10 in gloss black including the side roof rails on his car. The antenna was painted gloss jet black to match the roof. This car came out to me to from Buena Park area to Anaheim Hills/Orange County to get the work done. I think the gloss black roof really suited this bigger body car very well, especially with the black trunk spoiler and darker gunmetal wheels. The car came with the sport package factory shadowline trim from the factory already, so that match fairly well with the roof as well. You can find some more pictures of this car on the Vorsteiner site/facebook.

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 09-11-2014, 08:31 PM

Did the same to my car. I love the look
Old 09-14-2014, 05:33 PM
Regional Sponsor

Here are some pictures of a new black BMW F10 5 series that I vinyl'd the chrome window trim with my matte black material to resemble the BMW factory shadowline trim look. I had some people ask for some closer up pictures of the wrap around the edges, so here they are. Let me know if you guys have any questions or other picture requests.

-Don

donathon@gmail.com
Old 09-18-2014, 10:06 PM
Regional Sponsor

For comparison sakes, here's pictures of gloss black on this white F10 550i BMW. Been starting to get more of these, as people start purchasing more of these cars. As you can see here, this is my gloss black vinyl material. If you want to go with as close as you can to a panoramic/glass/gloss black paint look, then this is your best option. Owner was around orange county and came out to me in Anaheim Hills to have the roof wrap done.

-Don

donathon@gmail.com
Old 09-19-2014, 04:37 AM

I like the look but the shark fin needs to be black as well. IMO it looks incomplete with it left white