Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-23-2015, 09:45 PM

Mein Auto: '12 bmw f10
Adding a subwoofer to trunk of standard hifi system

I have found tutorials and other threads (such as this one) talking about adding an aftermarket sub to the premium sound system.

I have the standard hifi system. Can anyone chime in on installation of an aftermarket subwoofer and amp with that system? How much different would install be?
A how-to or instructions by someone who has already done so would be fantastic!

Last edited by teoulennon; 09-23-2015 at 09:47 PM.
Advertisement
Old 09-23-2015, 09:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535I & 2008 G35
Quote:
Originally Posted by teoulennon View Post
I have found tutorials and other threads (such as this one) talking about adding an aftermarket sub to the premium sound system.

I have the standard hifi system. Can anyone chime in on installation of an aftermarket subwoofer and amp with that system?
A how-to or instructions by someone who has already done so would be fantastic!
For a simple plug and play replacement, BAVSOUND just announced their subwoofer. The presale price expires Sep 24th at $397 which is $100 off. Several of us have already purchased it on this forum. They will first ship on November 30th, so no reviews are out yet. But I expect it to be substantially better than stock realizing that it is still using the stock AMP.

http://bavsound.us2.list-manage2.com...1&e=f750b2f122
Old 09-23-2015, 10:11 PM

Thanks for the response Blake, great to know bavsound is coming out with a plug and play solution.
Unfortunately I'm looking for a little more "umph" than that
Old 09-24-2015, 11:18 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
The amp is the larger problem. You could pretty easily intercept the speaker connections from the under-seat woofers and re-route them to a box in the trunk - but with that anemic amp, you wouldn't get much more output.

Blaupunkt used to sell a line of amps designed to replace factory setups in BMWs. You bought the amp along with a proprietary cable that intercepted the output from the head unit and terminated against the amp. Then you could do whatever you wanted with the amp's speaker outputs. I did this on my E60 and it worked pretty well other than making a few of the chimes and car sounds much louder. Sadly, those amps have been off the market for a while now and I doubt anyone ever made an interface cable for the F10.

You could buy a third party amp that accepts speaker-level connections, run the lines from the under-seat woofers into that, and run its output into a small box like a Polk DXi112. It would be an interesting project.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 530i
Will can you post some links about the amp u are talking about? I'm interested in upgrading my sub too but don't know where to start.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:05 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNg72 View Post
Will can you post some links about the amp u are talking about? I'm interested in upgrading my sub too but don't know where to start.
This is the Blaupunkt amp I used in my E60, sadly no longer available.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-8W4fWgO...THA555PnP.html
Old 09-30-2015, 11:51 AM

Bump!

From my understanding I'll have to tap into the wires that run to the underseat subs after the factory amp with a line out converter (such as the lc2i http://www.audiocontrol.com/download..******s-note.pdf ) then run wires from the lc2i to the aftermarket amp and sub.
I'm planning on running at least 500w rms to the subwoofer.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2015, 09:34 PM

Still looking for suggestions on this.
I will be installing my subwoofer next week. Any specifics or tips would be much appreciated!
Old 10-14-2015, 05:17 AM

Mein Auto: 05 645ci
Search on the e90 fourm http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=550031.

Search the fourm and you will find all your answers....

Look for post by member "Technic". He's the BMW audio guru over there and he sells a very popular "plug and play" harness to connect an amp and sub to your factory system.

Last edited by bigscore; 10-14-2015 at 05:19 AM.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 F10 M Sport xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by teoulennon View Post
Still looking for suggestions on this.
I will be installing my subwoofer next week. Any specifics or tips would be much appreciated!
Are you able to access the trunk from the cabin of the car? Some of us have that and some of us don't. I once read someone saying that they didn't have that option and they couldn't hear their sub very well. They then ended up cutting a hole in the rear seat and then it improved dramatically (if I'm recalling all of this correctly).
2011 F10 BMW 535i Sport xDrive - Alpine White/Black/Anthracite - Cold Weather Package - Premium Package - Premium Package 2 - All Black Front Grilles - Color Matched Reflectors - M5 Rear Spoiler - 35% Huper Optik Ceramic Tint - Xpel Clear Bra

Old 10-14-2015, 04:05 PM

Thanks bigscore, I have researched this for weeks and have seen the threads you are talking about. I haven't seen any real specifics about an aftermarket sub installed in the hifi business option, just professional.
I'd rather not spend $150+ on a harness from technic. I'd also rather not go through the trouble of going back and forth pm'ing with him to see what I might need and his website is not completed so I can't tell what he offers or what it does.
And BMW Obsession: you are right about the hole being drilled. I don't have the fold down seats and will have to do the same thing..not looking forward to it.
Thanks gents for responding, I appreciate your time.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:19 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto:
I suggested looking into our Premium Audio amp, Here's more info http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...900&highlight=
> Phone (USA): (646) 439-7920 (7:00am - 3:00pm ET) :: Nelson@bimmer-tech.net :: www.bimmer-tech.net
> Installation facilities worldwide.

>
>
>
> Follow us on

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search