Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 05-26-2015, 03:31 PM
Carpe Diem

Mein Auto: 2013 535i, 2000 528i
Dealer is suggesting a New Camber - please help

I purchased a new set of tires which cost 2200.00. The dealer recommended an alignment and I reluctantly agreed since my car had no issues of drifting. After the alignment was performed, I drove home noticing a drift to the right. So I brought it back to the BMW dealer and they did the alignment 2 more times and now the car dramatically goes to the right. The dealer wants to replace the camber. My car only has 23,000 miles and has not been in an accident nor hit any potholes. What should I do? Please help.
2013 BMW 535i, MSport, Bang and Olufsen Premium Sound, Dynamic Handling, Technology, Premium, Cold Weather, Luxury Seating, Night Vision, Heads Up Display, Driver Assistance, Space Gray Metallic, Gray Dakota Leahter
Advertisement
Old 05-26-2015, 03:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 550ix Msport
That's weird, I cant believe that a set of four tires at 23,000 miles, I have 2013 550iX and I drive it hard and I have a ton of tread wear on mine and thats after I drove it to Austin Texas and then Scottsdale AZ, Mine drifts to the right, allot of the times its the pavement that causes the drift. I lease so I dont give a "F". Sorry to see these issues and I obviously dont have allot to add, but Im sure the forum and the experts will chime in soon. Good Luck.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:45 PM
Carpe Diem

Mein Auto: 2013 535i, 2000 528i
Thanks - I had bridgestone turanza er300 and so I replaced them with Michelin Primacy Hp tires. The car drifting to the right is aggravating and when the dealer suggest a camber replacement - I am stunned since it only has 23000 miles. I need some advice.
2013 BMW 535i, MSport, Bang and Olufsen Premium Sound, Dynamic Handling, Technology, Premium, Cold Weather, Luxury Seating, Night Vision, Heads Up Display, Driver Assistance, Space Gray Metallic, Gray Dakota Leahter
Old 05-26-2015, 04:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i xDrive
I would tell him that it was fine until he fixed it, so maybe his equipment has a problem and suggest to him that you get it done over at another dealer - or ask him to pay for one at a qualified indie.
2012 535ix Space Gray, Cinnamon, SAT, Premium, Prem sound, Cold W., Sunshades, Gloss Black Grille, Gloss Black Side Markers, RE970AS 245/45/19 non-run flats that run very smooth + quiet and also correct the otherwise optimistic speedo
Old 05-26-2015, 10:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i MSport
That sucks. Either you have one or more bad tires or the alignment was out of spec before the dealer *fixed* it. Have they tried rotating the tires to see if the pulling changes?
If so, you have no choice but to fix the camber problem. I assume they're talking about replacing one or both front upper control arms?
Old 05-26-2015, 10:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 530d
I have the same tires as you. When I recently purchased new tires I noticed uneven wear and decided to get a 4 wheel alignment adjustment done.

After the adjustment the car tracks straight, whereas it used to hunt from side to side when there were deep grooves in the road.

I believe they adjusted all the angles, no parts were exchanged though.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
I believe caster has the ability to cause a tracking issue, not camber.

2012 535i
Joshua 24:15; Phil 4:13
Old 05-27-2015, 04:13 AM

Mein Auto: 550xi, Z4MR
Did they share the alignment specs when complete? You should be able to verify that the car is within BMW spec before replacing parts (front camber requires a different upper a-arm)
Old 05-27-2015, 06:37 AM

Mein Auto: 535i
Pulling can be caused by a conical tire (inside diameter different than outside diameter) on the front. If you have this, swapping the front tires will make the pulling go in the other direction.

The trick to a good alignment is to get the before and after print-out. If the shop can't/will not give you that print-out.... Run! They have no intention of properly aligning your car. F10's have upper and lower control arms in the front (unlike F30's and F80's, that only have McPherson struts). So, there's more adjustment of camber and caster that can be done. Don't expect the Bubba's down at Pep Boys to get it right. Also, dealers have a special jig that attaches to your wheel through those five little holes between the lug bolt holes. Bubba has a universal jig that clamps onto the lip of the rim, and scratches the rim in the process.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:13 AM

Mein Auto: 550xi, Z4MR
The BMW (US) Alignment hardware is made by Hunter. My Indy uses Hunter rim-mount targets vs. the hub mount targets which is not necessarily a bad thing if they are installed carefully and well maintained.