Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 01-27-2013, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto: 85 535i
85 535i ECU/wire harness

first; this is my first post. second; i did try searching first . Here's the rub.....
bought 85 535i for first projet car (am learning as i go). it turns over, but no fire.
i have check all that i am aware of (fuses, relays, distributer, coil, position/speed sensors, etc.. now......
i have found voltage to the coil, but, no pulse from the coil (i would appreciate advice on where to go next). and i checked two pins on the ecu (18 & 35). as i understand, these should have power to them all the time. 18 does, 35 has power when the key is off and on accessory. when key is all the way to on....there is no power on pin 35. is this normal?
if yes, where to now,
if no, do i jumper main relay or trace wire for pin 35.......or something else. i am running out of searchable ideas.
Ads by Google
Old 01-28-2013, 09:00 AM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Before you get into that, confirm that you are getting spark and fuel.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:59 AM

there is no spark. that is the trail i am on now. the main relay clicks and contacts are clean, the relay socket has power to #30 and 86. the coil has power to it, but no pulse when turning over. position sensor and speed sensor both give good resistance readings.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:07 PM
catso

Did you check the condition of the rotor in the distributor? The coil to dist wire for corrosion? The condition of the raised pin on the flywheel that the CPS uses? The physical condition and positioning of all the sensors and their connectors? Was the engine running recently?
Old 01-28-2013, 01:25 PM
catso

If you want to check further for voltage to the main relay, etc. you should refer to the Bentley E28 manual. There are lots of detailed testing proceduces described in chapters 7 and 8.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:43 PM
catso

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewnmo View Post
first; this is my first post. second; i did try searching first . Here's the rub.....
bought 85 535i for first projet car (am learning as i go). it turns over, but no fire.
i have check all that i am aware of (fuses, relays, distributer, coil, position/speed sensors, etc.. now......
i have found voltage to the coil, but, no pulse from the coil (i would appreciate advice on where to go next). and i checked two pins on the ecu (18 & 35). as i understand, these should have power to them all the time. 18 does, 35 has power when the key is off and on accessory. when key is all the way to on....there is no power on pin 35. is this normal?
if yes, where to now,
if no, do i jumper main relay or trace wire for pin 35.......or something else. i am running out of searchable ideas.
You know, I'm now thinking that it may actually be as simple as a bad coil.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:31 PM

i checked the resistance on the coil which was correct (i know that isnt %100, but for now i am avoiding throwing money at it).
i dont have a bently manual, i do have a haynes and an ETM which i am learning to read wire diagrams from.
i did check the condition of the wires, roter, distributor, contacts, etc; i did not check the pin for the cps (i keep forgetting). since i work full time and go to school full time i only have weekends. and now i have a new list. thank you and i will keep you informed. thank you.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:17 AM

ok, i have discovered that someone put the wrong main relay in. after confirming the diagram for the correct relay i jumpered the sockets and it started. thank you all very much for your help.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:26 PM
catso

Good going!