Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 Z3 M
Smile Z3 M S54 Performance Chip

I have a 2002 Z3 M (S54 motor)
Has anyone installed the GF performance chip and if you have...

Does it cause any problems, short term or long term?
Does it do what it says it does?
Would you recommend it?

Any comments are greatly appreciated
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2012, 03:53 PM
DROZ3

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 / 2006 X3
GF Performance Chips are a SCAM (spelled S C A M, yes S C A M), it is what we call in French a "trappe con" (MORON's TRAP).
Sorry if I am a bit aggressive in my response but I am getting tired of people who open an account on this board and who's first question is about that absolute scam. This is really getting old.

Z3 2001 3.0L 5-speeds,Topaz Blue/Sport+Premium package/Stong-Strut/Bilstein shocks/Rogue Engineering RSM/Ireland Engineering rear sub-frame bushing/CDV delete/Conforti CAI/Jim Conforti Shark/DRL module/European Wiper Module/Pioneer AVIC-N4 GPS-Receiver+XM Radio+iPod/iPhone interface+Bluetooth+12CD Charger/ASA-AR1 18" wheels+Michelin PSS/Bi-Xenon upgrade.
Latest mod : 3.73 diff. ... WOW
X3 2006 3.0L Automatic, Silver Gray, all original ... so far ...
Old 05-08-2012, 05:01 PM
Yoda with a library card

Mein Auto: 1999 M Coupe
Welcome to the forums. In short, BMW did a great job from the factory squeezing every available hp from the car. To make a noticeable hp increase generally costs $$$$. Shark software seems pretty popular around here. Some claim wonders, others claim nothing. Using the search function will generally provide a lot of useful information in a very short time.
1995 318i spray paint red, 170,000 miles and climbing
Old 05-08-2012, 05:05 PM
I'm a PC

Mein Auto: 2012 135i M Sport Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wertles View Post
Welcome to the forums. In short, BMW did a great job from the factory squeezing every available hp from the car. To make a noticeable hp increase generally costs $$$$. Shark software seems pretty popular around here. Some claim wonders, others claim nothing. Using the search function will generally provide a lot of useful information in a very short time.
Gee, I don't know. their website says I can get an extra 60 HP on my 06 M Roadster. The internet doesn't lie does it?

Old 05-08-2012, 06:18 PM
DROZ3

Here are a few reviews and comments about that GF company :

http://www.performancechips.com/g-fo...ip-reviews.php
http://www.allpar.com/forums/topic/1...formance-chip/
http://g-force-performance-chips.pis...729252136.html
http://www.scaminformer.com/scam-rep...ll-c39199.html

Z3 2001 3.0L 5-speeds,Topaz Blue/Sport+Premium package/Stong-Strut/Bilstein shocks/Rogue Engineering RSM/Ireland Engineering rear sub-frame bushing/CDV delete/Conforti CAI/Jim Conforti Shark/DRL module/European Wiper Module/Pioneer AVIC-N4 GPS-Receiver+XM Radio+iPod/iPhone interface+Bluetooth+12CD Charger/ASA-AR1 18" wheels+Michelin PSS/Bi-Xenon upgrade.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 550i, 00 M Roadster
If you want 60+ hp then you will need to look at supercharges or something of the like, as stated, BMW did a very good job at getting the most from these engines. Have you had your bearings checked/ changed out yet? Known issue for the S54 engines.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0si
Looking at their website is a hoot. In 'about us' they share this gem:

With years of engineering, and tuning, we have achieved unparalleled results. GForce Performance Chips employs over 27 individuals, 6 of them being experienced electrical and mechanical engineers. All manufacturing and production is performed in house. We personally test and tune each one of our over 30,000 applications.

At the end of 'terms and conditions' we find out this:

Disclaimer

Our claims of gains of fuel economy and power and performance found throughout this website is based on direct customer feedback and not actual tests. The advertising found throughout is based on claims provided by customers just like yourself, who purchased our product and reported back the gains.

Amazing, all that high priced help, who've 'personally tested and tuned' over 30,000 applications - but yet they also claim they've never tested anything to see if it works?

And as for the 'engineering' behind the few cents of wire and resistors that is at the heart of this engineering marvel (to fool your ECU into dumping extra fuel in for what it believes is a cold motor), have a read of their 'technical information' - they claim that 'ideal ignition timing' can only be achieved with an ideal stoichiometric fuel ratio, which their 'chip' supposedly achieves. Those who are familiar with how an engine works under various loads, especially when running 'cold', are rolling on the ground by this point.

It would be a lot funnier if they weren't screwing so many people for so much money.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 Z3 M
Thanks guys for the info, that convinced me.

droz3-sorry didn't know you owned this board, will try next time not to bore you
Old 05-09-2012, 03:06 PM
DROZ3

I am the one who should apologize, it is known that this company, and others, are posting "innocent" posts on various forums to create interest on their scam product.
Again, apologies.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:09 PM
Have Fun... Life is short

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by lo-tek View Post
Gee, I don't know. their website says I can get an extra 60 HP on my 06 M Roadster. The internet doesn't lie does it?

WHAATT??? You mean there is NO FREE LUNCH??? This is SO FRUSTRATING!!! I was going to buy a BUNCH OF THEM and REALLY boost my horsepower. Now what am I going to do???
Old 05-14-2012, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: 01 M Roadster
I recently had the dinan stage 1 put on my 00M roadster.. I am very happy. No HP gains to be felt HOWEVER throttle response, shifting, and acceleration have vastly improved even taking off from a stop.

Sent from my ADR8995 using Bimmer App
Old 05-14-2012, 03:55 PM
Warning - Thin Air

Mein Auto: 2002 M Roadster/2014 435i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleck18 View Post
I recently had the dinan stage 1 put on my 00M roadster.. I am very happy. No HP gains to be felt HOWEVER throttle response, shifting, and acceleration have vastly improved even taking off from a stop.

Sent from my ADR8995 using Bimmer App
You can get the same for less than $10 by adding the sport mode button (S54 only).

2014 435i M-Sport, Mineral Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Driver Assistance Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 8 Speed Sport AT, Heated Front Seats, Active Cruise Control, BMW Perf Tune w/MPE, BMW Limited Slip Diff, BBS CH Wheels.

2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels.

Last edited by khammack; 05-14-2012 at 03:56 PM.