Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:04 AM
Scotland Forever

Mein Auto: Bmw Z3 2.0 Automatic
Do you have a bmw z3 either 2.0 or 2.2

I need help,please with a couple of photographs from a 6 cylinder Bmw Z3 circa 2000.
The Cylindrical Charcoal filter in my car has been taken out. I have bought a new one and I believe
It fits under the air intake where I have a couple of pipes tied off doing nothing.
I really would appreciate a couple of pics from a similar car showing the
charcoal filter in situ with the connection. If anyone could do this it would be a great help. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	562925  
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2016, 04:51 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
The 2.0 and 2.2 six is common in the UK. This forum might have info and photos:
https://zroadster.org/forums/z3-roadster-coupé.21/

And if you google "bmw z3 2.2 charcoal canister" , there are a lot of photos from above and below the engine.

Last edited by vintage42; 05-12-2016 at 04:59 AM.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:58 AM
Scotland Forever

Z3 Straight Six Charcoal Filter Location

Thanks for that.....I just want a couple of pictures from a Z3 straight six of the charcoal filter which I think should be located under the air filter
Old 05-12-2016, 07:13 AM
BMW CCA 1405

I should have said:
"... if you google "bmw z3 2.2 charcoal canister" , there are a lot of charcoal canister photos from above and below the engine."
Why not take a look; there might be no need for people to take pictures of their engines. For instance, this picture shows "charcoal canister" and "air filter box" labeled, and even shows a "pipe" to the canister. There are more pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	charcoal canister.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	562940  

Last edited by vintage42; 05-12-2016 at 07:24 AM.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:05 AM
Scotland Forever

E36/7 Z3 6 cylinder Charcoal Canister Location

I don't think that's it...I have also googled and for the last hour looked at the results and there is only one that resembles the cylindrical canister I have.....see the pic but it does not show the location clearly enough. However there are 2 pipes hanging where I think it goes and one of them is blue. As you can see from the pic it has a blue pipe so I now know where the blue pipe would attach. So from the schematic I'd say the blue line was the Fuel Tank Vent Line (3) the small one beside it to the Intake Manifold and the connection on the underside of the canister to the expansion tank. Why there would be a pipe leading to the expansion tank I'd wonder why is that the cooling expansion tank?..... So it all still pretty much guesswork. And I only have 2 pipes hanging not 3.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:38 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW z3M
I just had my car serviced needed a charcoal can installed and if I'm not mistaken they mounted it behind the rt. Headlight,low in the compartment.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 Z3 3.0i
Hi

I have a UK new 2000 Z3 2.0L. The attached photo was taken when I had the rear sub-frame out. I believe this is the charcoal filter, located left hand side, just in front of the rear sub-frame and to the lower left of the gas tank.

Edit:
Under the MAF and mounted on/near the left engine mount is a canister labeled "Vacuum unit" with one hose at each end. Don't know its purpose. This may be your missing item in that area.

Hope this helps

Regards

Muzz
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02969.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	563113  

Last edited by NZ00Z3; 05-13-2016 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:37 PM
Scotland Forever

Location of the Charcoal Filter

Loopycann many thanks for your input......I think your right....it would be appreciated if you could take a couple of pictures ....I need to see how it's connected....I have two pipes in that location tied off.....one blue one Black....there are 3 connections on the canister so I guess one of pipes either side but as to the third I have no idea...maybe it goes to the end of the vacuum canister in the same kocation. That's why I would appreciate the photographs thanks.
Muzz thanks for your input ....your pic shows a charcoal canister right enough but I'm sure mine does not go underneath the car but in the engine bay.
In my car it's meant to go under the maf sensor etc and just above the vacuum canister...whatever that's for .
Also Muzz your canister does not have all three connections connected only 2 so maybe it's not funtioning as designed. Look at the diagrams I posted previously.
Thank you very much

Last edited by Scottieman; 05-13-2016 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 05-14-2016, 05:14 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopycann View Post
... charcoal can installed and if I'm not mistaken they mounted it behind the rt. Headlight,low in the compartment.
That would be on the passenger and exhaust side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottieman View Post
Loopycann many thanks for your input... I think your right...
In my car it's meant to go under the maf sensor...
That would be on the driver and intake side.

The photo in Post #4 seems likely, showing the canister on the intake side, next to the air filter, under the MAF sensor and its boot, which has been removed. Does that photo look anything like your car, and have you removed the MAF boot to see if your new canister might fit and mount where shown in the photo?

Last edited by vintage42; 05-14-2016 at 05:35 AM.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:29 AM
Scotland Forever

It will fit it's just what connection go where that I need to see from a photograph
Old 05-14-2016, 07:23 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Quote:
It will fit it's just what connection go where that I need to see from a photograph
Maybe no forum photos because disassembly work is required to get the viewpoint to take them.

Quote:
... I'd say the blue line was the Fuel Tank Vent Line (3) the small one beside it to the Intake Manifold and the connection on the underside of the canister to the expansion tank. Why there would be a pipe leading to the expansion tank I'd wonder why is that the cooling expansion tank?... I only have 2 pipes hanging not 3.
I think "expansion tank" means the fuel overflow tank, shown in this scan of the Bentley Manual below.
Three connections are mentioned:
From overflow tank (I think a small flat tank that sits on top of the fuel tank) to canister.
From canister to purge (breather) valve on intake manifold.
From canister to leak detection pressurization pump. The pump is connected to engine vacuum, so it may be the "sucking jet pump" No. 1 here:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...41#11617545382
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Z3 Evap Ctrl Syst.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	563199  

Last edited by vintage42; 05-14-2016 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:18 AM
Scotland Forever

Charcoal Canister Connection

Thanks vintage.....I have a similar diagram shown above but I'm still none the wiser about what gives where on my canister because in the diagram you've posted it does not resemble the canister I have.....if you look at loopycan's picture it's Aksum the same charcoal can I have but not in the same location....so I can from his picture where to connect the blue pipe...that's easy. I'm then left with one black pipe it's where to connect that one.....and that leaves one connection that I don't have a pipe for. Loopycans picture as far as I can see only has 2 connected and the one at the other end on the can has nothing attached....that can't be right....I've paid €200 for the new can so I want to fit it right so that it functions as designed not just connected but nit functioning as intended that would be a complete waste of €200 euros. It may still end up bring a waste of mine even when connected properly because my car is running oerfectky without it. ***129297;
If the manual your quoting had a picture of my canister then that would help but it does not.
Ok we can tell what the three connections are but not where each one fits on my canister.
Your diagram shows a square with 3 connections which unfortunately does not show in relation to my canister what connects where.
So you can see why a picture Paints and thousand words
Incidentally do you have a link to the workshop manual your quoting from.
Many thanks for your help......
Old 05-14-2016, 09:34 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Quote:
... the diagram you've posted it does not resemble the canister... Your diagram shows a square with 3 connections which unfortunately does not show in relation to my canister what connects where... I have... Loopycans picture as far as I can see only has 2 connected and the one at the other end on the can has nothing attached....that can't be right... my car is running oerfectky without it... Incidentally do you have a link to the workshop manual your quoting from...
Diagrams are diagrams. All canisters have the same hoses, no matter what they look like or where they are mounted.

I don't see where loopycann posted a picture, but the picture from nz00z3 shows that the hose from one end has been disconnected in his subframe removal. You are right that it will not work that way. But it suggests that the end of a canister with a single hose is probably the inlet from the fuel tank.

And it makes me think that it does not matter where the two hoses on the other end go, as long as one goes:
From canister to purge (breather) valve on intake manifold.
and the other goes:
From canister to leak detection pressurization pump. The pump is connected to engine vacuum, so it may be the "sucking jet pump" also on the manifold.

If the car runs perfectly without the evaporative emissions system, are you only trying to fix it because it causes a Check Engine Light?

The Bentley Manual is only in print:
http://www.amazon.com/BMW-Z3-Service...bentley+manual

Last edited by vintage42; 05-14-2016 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:45 AM
Scotland Forever

Charcoal Canister

I have no warning lights and the car runs perfectly without the canister.
It was suggested to me that the fuel smell I was getting was this charcoal filter so I paid €200 for the new can so I want to fit it right so that it functions as designed not just connected but nit functioning as intended that would be a complete waste of €200 euros. It may still end up bring a waste of mine even when connected properly because my car is running perfectly without it.
The fuel smell turned out to be a faulty fuel filler cap
Old 05-14-2016, 10:14 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Quote:
I have no warning lights... without the canister....
That surprises me. I thought any disruption of the emissions system would cause a warning. Maybe your European 2.2 is different from US cars in that respect.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:58 AM
Scotland Forever

Charcoal filter

Actually my car is 2ltr not 2.2 and was a direct import from Japan
How do I add this pic to my profile
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	563229  
Old 05-14-2016, 02:10 PM
BMW CCA 1405

Quote:
Actually my car is 2ltr not 2.2 and was a direct import from Japan...
All Z3s were made in South Carolina, USA. The 2.0 (2-liter six) and the 2.2i (2.3-liter six) were not sold in the US, but were exported.
Left hand drive cars went to Europe. Right hand drive cars like yours went to the UK, Australia and Japan.
It's unusual that your right hand drive 2.0 got to Cyprus from Japan rather than the UK.
The emissions systems of the 2.0 and 2.2i appear to be the same in RealOEM.

Last edited by vintage42; 05-14-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:19 PM
BMW CCA 1405

Quote:
... How do I add this pic to my profile
Go to User CP and add it as an avatar.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 Z3 3.0i
Hi

The photo of my canister has the vent pipe removed. It passed under the rear sub-frame, so was removed when the photo was taken. I'm surprised that your canister is mounted in the front of your car. I've seen the canister located by the rear sub-frame in a number of face lift Z3's. I suggest that you look under the left rear of your car and confirm that the original is not there. BMW is very consistent in there designs across the Z3 platform.

Regards

Muzz
Old 05-15-2016, 05:20 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Quote:
... The Cylindrical Charcoal filter in my car has been taken out. I have bought a new one and I believe... It fits under the air intake where I have a couple of pipes tied off doing nothing...
Is that what made you think the canister was removed from there and not from next to the rear subframe? What made you think the canister was removed at all?
Old 05-15-2016, 05:46 AM
Scotland Forever

Charcoal Canister

My Z3 2.0 is a direct import from Japan and is RHD as All cars in Japan are RHD.
MY canister is not under the car it was mounted under the MAF area before it was removed by a previous owner. I know this because row of the pipes are hanging there and have been tied off
Old 05-15-2016, 07:23 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Quote:
My Z3 2.0 is a direct import from Japan and is RHD as All cars in Japan are RHD...
You mean it was imported into Cyprus from Japan, after it was exported to Japan from the factory in the US. I can see from your photo that it is RHD, like all Z3s that were exported to Japan and the UK. And I see that your Cyprus is also RHD.
Quote:
... MY canister is not under the car it was mounted under the MAF area before it was removed by a previous owner. I know this because row of the pipes are hanging there and have been tied off.
Did the previous owner tell you that he removed the canister, and where he removed it from? I wonder if those two pipes are not actually for the canister, which takes three, and if you might find the canister by the rear subframe? That would explain why you have no emission system warning light.

Last edited by vintage42; 05-15-2016 at 11:36 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search