Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:41 PM

Mein Auto: Z3 - 2.8 - 1998
How to change rear (driver) fender - Z3 1998

Hi all,

THis is my first post on the forum, so I hope to be at the right place.

I recently aquired a z3, 1998, 2.8 with a couple of stuff to do. I bought in the perspective to learn mechanic. I allready changed the fan clutch, change the oil and left rear light. Nothing crazy but I am already proud of that :-).

Next step, would be to change the rear fender (driver side). I found one in a salvage car, but I have no idea how to do that and how complicated it could be.

Did someone has a good/bad experience to share with me ?

thank you

Bastien
Advertisement
Old 08-29-2016, 11:44 PM
Proud Canadian, I'm Sorry

Mein Auto: 06 Z4 3.0i & 01 Z3 2.5(2)
Congrats on the purchase. Now post a photo....we like photos.

ZSCCA Area Rep and Member - Prairie CruZers
Old 08-30-2016, 05:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 530i
Fender

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastien View Post
Hi all,

THis is my first post on the forum, so I hope to be at the right place.

I recently aquired a z3, 1998, 2.8 with a couple of stuff to do. I bought in the perspective to learn mechanic. I allready changed the fan clutch, change the oil and left rear light. Nothing crazy but I am already proud of that :-).

Next step, would be to change the rear fender (driver side). I found one in a salvage car, but I have no idea how to do that and how complicated it could be.

Did someone has a good/bad experience to share with me ?

thank you

Bastien
I am guessing you mean L/R quarter panel? If so, that is not a job for a novice. It can be done at home. If you don't have access to welding equipment and an air compressor you still can do it. You will need a cutting wheel (Like as small grinder with a cutting wheel disk on it). You would cut the old quarter panel off at right about where you would put a pinstripe and all the way around, leaving 3/4" flange to bond the new QP to. Next you cut out the other Q panel from the other car right on the body lines leaving enough to have a 3/4" overlap. You remove ALL paint undercoating etc from both panels where they will mate.

You line up both panels drill every 6" for pop rivets then remove the panel. You apply quarter panel adhesive to the fender lip and pop rivet the panel in place starting in the center and working your way out equally on each side to the bottom. When the adhesive cures you grind off the rivets and braze the holes. Sound like fun? Of you could pay someone to do it at a shop with a tig welder.

Last edited by BMW_507_4ME; 08-30-2016 at 05:31 PM. Reason: wag
Old 08-31-2016, 04:54 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_507_4ME View Post
... If you don't have access to welding equipment and an air compressor you still can do it. You will need a cutting wheel (Like as small grinder with a cutting wheel disk on it). You would cut the old quarter panel off... When the adhesive cures you grind off the rivets and braze the holes.... you could pay someone to do it at a shop with a tig welder.
Is this for a Z3?
This post indicates the fender is attached with bolts.
https://zroadster.org/threads/how-to...ar-wings.6277/
Here is a photo by Randy Forbes of a Z3 with the fender removed:
http://www.spcarsplus.com/gallery3/i...ntjob/IMG_5827
Old 08-31-2016, 11:35 AM

My Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage42 View Post
Is this for a Z3?
This post indicates the fender is attached with bolts.
https://zroadster.org/threads/how-to...ar-wings.6277/
Here is a photo by Randy Forbes of a Z3 with the fender removed:
http://www.spcarsplus.com/gallery3/i...ntjob/IMG_5827
My Bad, I thought he had a coupe
Old 09-01-2016, 04:39 PM

Thanks a lot for this complete reply. But as said below, I have a convertible:-) but thanks for your time to review my question. If you have an idea of how to change the rear L/P fender of a Z3 convertible. I am interested.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:38 PM

Qp

Quote:
Thanks a lot for this complete reply. But as said below, I have a convertible:-) but thanks for your time to review my question. If you have an idea of how to change the rear L/P fender of a Z3 convertible. I am interested.
This video show the Q/P's removed already, you can get a good idea of the bolt pattern on the Q/P and frame as to what you need to un bolt and such, sorry I didn't catch you have the convertible and not the coup and wasted your time on the other post, hope this one helps

Old 09-04-2016, 09:39 PM

Thanks a lot for this.

I would like to get your point of view. I found a rear fender on a salvage (same color) for 150 USD. the fender is in a good shape. However, I am still wondering what's the best between changing the fender or repaint mine.

My fender is in good shape (except the color), so, what's the best option for you?

I am not for painting basically, because I know that the DIY painting never give a good result. But maybe you have other views.

Last edited by bastien; 09-04-2016 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:13 AM

Finally :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fichier_000.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	575146  
Old 09-05-2016, 07:51 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
Quote:
... I found a rear fender on a salvage (same color) for 150 USD. the fender is in a good shape. However, I am still wondering what's the best between changing the fender or repaint mine. My fender is in good shape (except the color), so, what's the best option for you?...
So both fenders are the right color and in good shape, but the fender on the car needs repainting?
And you have found a fender that you have to remove from a salvage car?

If you are capable of switching the fenders yourself, that would be cheapest.
Otherwise I think a shop will repaint your fender cheaper than they can remove it and install the salvage fender.

In addition to the labor, there are uncertainties and risks in removing body parts from an old car and putting on an owner's salvage fender. Will your salvage fender be OK when the shop gets it? The rear bumper may have to come off first. Clips break. The antenna must be disconnected from its amplifier.

I think a shop will charge less to repaint your fender on the car, than to replace it with your salvage fender.

Last edited by vintage42; 09-05-2016 at 07:56 AM.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:15 PM

Match

Quote:
Thanks a lot for this.

I would like to get your point of view. I found a rear fender on a salvage (same color) for 150 USD. the fender is in a good shape. However, I am still wondering what's the best between changing the fender or repaint mine.

My fender is in good shape (except the color), so, what's the best option for you?

I am not for painting basically, because I know that the DIY painting never give a good result. But maybe you have other views.
It sounds like you are trying to get an exact match in color for your fender, Well, even the LKQ one wont be an exact match, different time in the sun, OEM paint mixing per batch run is never exact and so on. If you have a good fender on the car now and you just need it to match the rest of the paint on your car, take it to a body shop and have them paint the quarter panel and then do what is called "blend in panel" on the connecting panels. It is the only way to make a blended color match that you will be happy with
Old 09-14-2016, 07:32 AM
The Arkleyologist

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 Coupe
Fenders removed
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	576164  
Old 09-14-2016, 07:34 AM
The Arkleyologist

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 Coupe
Rear view
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	576165  

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
fender, rear, z3

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search