Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Motorsports, Racing & Track

Motorsports, Racing & Track
From Formula One to Auto-X, discuss everything related to going fast here...

Old 06-02-2004, 12:47 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:

-
Old 06-02-2004, 05:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 E92 M3/'11 X6 3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Baumann

You want some cheese with it ?
You guys....

I would like someone to be good enough to make Michael race. He's an exceptional talent and with it comes an arrogance that makes him hard to take, but he's part of an excellent team with top people everywhere. Ferrari hasn't always been like that as you know, and I suspect if he left and the others drifted away they would settle back into the turmoil they used to be in.

The thing is, did he beat the others with strategy at the Nurburgring? He was faster, but he was a lot lighter and he got the lead and then stayed in front. His strategy was a little bit different than it's been. He went for the pole and got it and then ran off into a big lead, even before an early pit stop. No one really challenged him for the pole with a light strategy. Barrichello was on a different strategy and didn't challenge him either. Looking at the laptimes for the first seven laps (until his pitstop) Michael was two seconds a lap faster than anyone. Trulli stopped like he was on the same fuel load, but he just wasn't fast enough.

SteveT
2008 E92 M3 - SSII/Fox Red
2011X6 3.5 - AW/Red/Alcantara/Leather
BMW CCA
Old 06-02-2004, 05:51 PM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
1) Autoweek had a little tidbit pointing out the gang of 5 (manufacturers that s) are NOT disbanded and not happy with some things going the way they are going. So we may see a split after all.

2) They also had another tidbit that BMW doesn't think much of the a) 2.4L V8 and b) a race engine that lasts 6 full weekends.

Things may not be so set.

As for arrogant, there have been a LOT of arrogant race drivers. The mighty Senna punted Prost off the track to ensure a Championship.

Fangio had the team's second driver bring the car in from the lead to take over the car to secure a vicotry and go onto the Championship.

That's racing. Racing drivers drive to WIN. Team owners do race strategy to win Championships.

If you can't play with the big boys, stay home. And SCCA Club Racing is no better. And that is for a trophy, not cash money.

MS is simply the best driver out there. Watch his in car footage, he is smooth, slow hands, and very precise. The other driver that shows the SAME traits is .......... Jensen Button. Just abou everyone else is always fighting the car, and working hard. Smooth ais fast, and fast is smooth. From a E30 318i club race car to an F1 car.

And like the gunfighter of the old west, if you are the best, you can have the attitude. And if you aren't the best, you will still have the attitude, for a while. Remember JV, as well as others.

And if other professional sports figures an make what they make, and without their life on teh line, my hat's off to race car drivers who can make that kind of money.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 06-03-2004, 04:47 AM
I reject your reality

Mein Auto: 02 Trulli-Leopard
I don't fully agree about Michael and smooth. What makes him so good is that he can -- and does -- drive smoothly when the car is good.

But when it's off a bit, he can change his style to the mold of GV and JPM in the "throw-it-in-the-corner-and-sort-it-out-later" method.

And that's what makes him the best driver.

He's a chameleon.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:06 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerdave
I don't fully agree about Michael and smooth. What makes him so good is that he can -- and does -- drive smoothly when the car is good.

But when it's off a bit, he can change his style to the mold of GV and JPM in the "throw-it-in-the-corner-and-sort-it-out-later" method.

And that's what makes him the best driver.

He's a chameleon.

I don't know. I watch the in car footage from 1994 and I watch the in car footage from 2004. He turns in, the hands and wheel are steady, and he straigthens the wheel at the end of the track out. Very smooth.

And the Bennetton was supposedly an EVIL handling car.

But he can handle it when things get out of sorts. Mistakes that would cause other drivers to lose the car, just seem to be a little wiggle for MS.

Truely an artist with the car.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 06-03-2004, 07:01 AM
I reject your reality

Mein Auto: 02 Trulli-Leopard
I agree that there have been times in 2004 where he's been very smooth (Barcelona, 'Ring), but he had to work the car hard at Bahrain and Imola... and he was hustling it, not smooth as glass.

But I agree with the last sentence.

He is a great driver. I'm just not fond of the whole package.