Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 05-02-2013, 03:23 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Rock chip on my door while sitting in traffic. Yes my DOOR while SITTING in traffic.

I must be the luckiest guy in the world! Went to a BMW dealer on a nice sunny day as I was in the area, enjoying my squeaky clean car of which I had just provided some "a$$hole touched my car therefore left a stain on my JB paint" remedies to (which I'll get into later). Looked at some Bimmers for fun and to just analyze various models from each other as I continue to learn more about this brand and its design characteristics from model to model since I took a break when the E65 gen started (BMW's were in my blood since childhood before that)....

.... on the way back, I was sitting at a light, and a Motorcycle CREEPS past me in between lanes. I hear a sharp and tinny "SMACK". No one in the world would have figured out what the hell it was. Me? I somehow knew EXACTLY what it was. Somehow at about 4 MPH this bike caught a rock in middle of two lanes and flung it right at my door, hard. Imagine if the window was open and it moved up a few inches?

Well, I took an LED to the door and soon enough, found the culprit. Two tiny specs of chipped paint right at the bottom-tip of the character line, next to the door handle. Took some touch up paint to it which helped it a bit, but it's still noticeable to me when I look for it.... plus touch up paint is of course smudgier than the paint it's sitting on top of (duh).

Speaking of the "a$$hole who touched my car". As if Jet Black already wasn't a sanity-hog, I was parking my car and the valet who was "directing" me backwards (unnecessary that time since I have the sensors and camera) decided to "tap" my car to tell me when to stop. On a white or silver car, who cares, right? But on my Jet Black, an LED (aka Smartphone Flashlight) to it showed little scuffy marks under the smeared fingerprints. Fixed those well enough with some Scratch X 2.0 and following wax.

So, yes, I took at as a sign from the universe, and my beauty was then decided and delegated to take me cross State on a long work-trip drive, and is currently sitting outside for a few days (my big pet peeve), near sprinklers which just might get hard water spots on the front, near where other cars can park (gasp), covered in bug splatter (which I would usually clean off instantly), and might get showered with tree sap specs with the type of trees that are around here. And of course this after I perfect my own washing habits to finally "get" how to keep JB always perfect.

Universe, you win. As of today I vow to myself to not work for my car, but to let my car work for me, and things that work for me get put through the ringer.

That's todays story. It should be liberating! But what can I say.... I'm OCD, an extremist, so I hate it.

Ordered: 2015 Porsche Macan S / SportDesign.

Ex MB's: 11/10/06 E350 "Sport", 02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Last edited by K-A; 05-02-2013 at 03:30 AM.
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2013, 05:23 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Nice rant! Better days ahead!

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 05-02-2013, 05:44 AM
Dark Knight

Thanks. First World Problems.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Man, I thought I was OCD about my car, you make me look a I dont give a @#%#
When I was younger, I use to be nuts about keeping my car in perfect condition, worked on my car every weekend with the radio on, washing and waxing it. Those days are gone, while I still wash and wax my car once a while, there are just simply more important things in life now. A shiney car is great, but it will eventually get dirty. The way I look at it is that, the only way to keep a car in showrrom condition is to keep it in the showroom. You drive it on a public road, it will get damage sooner or later. At least the 1st paint chip is out of the way, the next one will not hurt as much
Old 05-02-2013, 06:11 AM
Chitown traveller

Mein Auto: 535i X-Drive
Sucks dude. I used to wax my car EVERY weekend (which actually did more damage I am told), it was a beautiful pearl white '97 A4. I have become a LOT more tolerant about a few nicks now, I even am much more forgiving when my SO drives my car

Hopefully its a quick and easy fix and you can get back to pristine condition in no time.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:14 AM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Man, I thought I was OCD about my car, you make me look a I dont give a @#%#
When I was younger, I use to be nuts about keeping my car in perfect condition, worked on my car every weekend with the radio on, washing and waxing it. Those days are gone, while I still wash and wax my car once a while, there are just simply more important things in life now. A shiney car is great, but it will eventually get dirty. The way I look at it is that, the only way to keep a car in showrrom condition is to keep it in the showroom. You drive it on a public road, it will get damage sooner or later. At least the 1st paint chip is out of the way, the next one will not hurt as much
Lol. I was always anal with my cars, but getting black on top of it all just really did the trick to make it a literal part time job.

I think the rock chip to the DOOR was a sign, and I currently am taking in the message the universe has sent me. As it sits at this very moment, it sure ain't being pampered any more. I think that's a good thing. For now at least, lol.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:16 AM

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
I feel you man. I am the same way with my car but i've learned to be a little more tolerating now that I have a daughter. Stressed enough with a kid to worry about little things about the car.

I too hate finger print marks on my paint. People love closing the rear door by holding the small glass area instead of the door handle. Makes me wipe the car down after every drive i take so I can prolong the freshly washed car look for as long as possible.

Alan

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Old 05-02-2013, 06:24 AM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L. View Post
I feel you man. I am the same way with my car but i've learned to be a little more tolerating now that I have a daughter. Stressed enough with a kid to worry about little things about the car.

I too hate finger print marks on my paint. People love closing the rear door by holding the small glass area instead of the door handle. Makes me wipe the car down after every drive i take so I can prolong the freshly washed car look for as long as possible.

Alan
Maaan, closing the doors is such a pet peeve of mine! Everybody smudges things up.

Back in the day, with a white or whatever car, I would just wipe off the fingerprints and call it a day. Now with a black car, every time someone touches the car, there's a big chance they will literally leave a flurry of small swirly marks. As you said, just too much stress. Your color runs a little darker than silver, but it seems like it hopefully would't show swirls too badly.

The swirls I can deal with at this point. I've gone through that ad-nausea and come to terms with it, got my "plan of attack" to fix some of the smaller ones, etc.

It was just that damn rock chip to the door. I must be the only person in the universe.

Funny thing is, I bet after this 600+ mile trip, 3 days outside, other cars parking next to it, tree sap flying around, bug splatter all over it, dirt, maybe sprinkler water (that's the worst), etc. it'll come out perfect after all is said and done, because I "let go". That strange phenomenon when you get paranoid about something that you attract the negative energy seems too damn real.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:47 AM

Mein Auto: Tricycle
Rock chip on my door while sitting in traffic. Yes my DOOR while SITTING in tra

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
At least the 1st paint chip is out of the way, the next one will not hurt as much
Totally agree. I used to be so anal about my black car, tried to always keep it clean, but caused more stress than actually enjoying its beauty after each wash. This will be my first and last black car I'll ever own.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by nlkccom; 05-02-2013 at 06:50 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:56 AM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlkccom View Post
Totally agree. I used to be so anal about my black car, tried to always keep it clean, but caused more stress than actually enjoying its beauty after each wash. This will be my first and last black car I'll ever own.

Same. I so enamored by how beautiful this car is in black. I really think that the F10 M Sport was envisioned to be in black first and foremost. However, I'm getting it out of my system with this car. The only way I'll have a black primary car again is if I were to hypothetically buy this car after the lease. Otherwise, just can't take the energy sucking it takes. Though it really does seem worth it a lot.

I'm starting to get tired of white now. I think silver is gonna make a comeback soon, at least it has started to for me. It's always been one of my favorite colors. Perfectly neutral yet with pizazz if it's a nice silver.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i
My wife is a huge offender when closing the doors. I have smudge marks up and down the window frame Of course, I will not dare to correct the behavior

As for rock chips, I got one on my rear left door. Actually took out a huge chunk of paint. Did not hear the damage probably because I had the music blasting.

Retired: 2010 535|| White, Natural Brown interior, Sports, SAT, iPOD, Rear airbags

Retired - 2008 528 - Premium, iPod, Cold Weather, Titanium with black interior

Old 05-02-2013, 07:38 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
LOL. Sorry.

I have a 2004 Explorer that I love because I don't much care what happens to it. We take it up the hill on the weekends, I drive it on sloppy weather days, and it does all of my Home Depot duty. I paid $11,000 for it when it was 4 years old, with 39,000 miles on it.

Highly recommended. You definitely can't avoid the occasional issue with your BMW (like the lady who tore the front end off of mine while I was sitting at a stoplight early this year), but it's nice to have a beater.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 535xi
I drive my car into Manhattan almost every weekend and park it on the street. I am not sure if the rocks on the Turnpike kicked up by other cars or the street parking by others are more problematic. But the car has a few bruises reflecting my using it. Thankfully, I use a Bumper Bully when I am parking. My orbital polisher does help remove some of the stuff.

There was a time when it really bothered me to no end. It still does but I am glad that I am using it and not driving a beater in NYC.

Last edited by mjsbmw; 05-02-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535Xi M Sport
Damn, I thought I was the only one. Just 2 days ago on the L.I.E I heard a big bang on the passenger side door. I was like....SSHHIITTTTT!!! Sure enough a small rock caught my passenger side window. There is a small chip in my passenger side window now. My car is prestine, but I knew sooner or later something would happen. That's life guys, just roll with it.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:29 PM
Dark Knight

Re: Rock chip on my door while sitting in traffic. Yes my DOOR while SITTING in traff

Glad I'm not the only one! Lol. I've been trained to accept friggin bumper chips, but side chips just ain't right!

I guess you can say that they add "character".... "Individuality".

Old 05-02-2013, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Ouch, sorry to hear that but the first one is as painful as it's inevitable. Since I got two kids I'm gotten good at controlling my language but whenever someone has parked really close to me I let out a salvo that Debra Morgan would be proud of. Especially in almost deserted parking lots, why do people do that, squeeze up to your car when there are tens of free spots in a row? I don't get it.

Last edited by solstice; 05-02-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:33 PM

Mein Auto: 13 ActiveHybrid5
Fix it with drcolorchip
Enjoy the car and let your detailer deal with it later.

Current:
14 smart electric drive
14 MB E350
13 BMW ActiveHybrid5
Past:
85 Corolla GT-S / 98 MB ML320 / 06 S2000 / 08 EVO X MR / 11 G37S 6MT / 12 MBZ E350 Bluetec
BMW CCA Member #457884
Old 05-02-2013, 05:18 PM
Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2013 535xi M-Sport
I've been there and back and unfortunately continue to go there, when it comes to OCD I think I take the cake. I'm that guy that parks in left field at the mall to make sure no one parks next to me and dings my car. My wife hates when we take my car out because of this. I have tried over and over to let it go but for some reason I can't. Stuff like this happens to me all the time and I wonder why, Is it because I care too much. I'm sorry to say that being anal is part of who you are and it can't just be turned off, I know I've tryed!!!! If you are truly a car guy you take way to much pride in your ride and deep down its a reflection of who you are. Its good to know that I'm not the only one the feels this way.

I've been pretty successful with Dr. color chip it works great on small rock hits without globs of paint that touch up paint leaves behind.

2013 535xi M-Sport | Alpine White/Black Dakota Leather/Hexagon Trim | Premium | Cold | Technology | Driver Assistance | Sport Transmission | Sport Seats | Premium hi-fi
Prior: 2011 535xi Sedan | Titanium Silver/Black Dakota Leather | Sport Package | Premium | Cold | Nav | Sport Transmission | Sirius | PDC
Prior: 2009 528xi Sedan | Monaco Blue/Cream Leather | Premium | Cold | Nav | Sirius | Xenon
Prior: 2006 330xi Sadan | Alpine White/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | Nav

Old 05-02-2013, 06:13 PM
Dark Knight

Re: Rock chip on my door while sitting in traffic. Yes my DOOR while SITTING in traff

Quote:
Originally Posted by playdrum View Post
I've been there and back and unfortunately continue to go there, when it comes to OCD I think I take the cake. I'm that guy that parks in left field at the mall to make sure no one parks next to me and dings my car. My wife hates when we take my car out because of this. I have tried over and over to let it go but for some reason I can't. Stuff like this happens to me all the time and I wonder why, Is it because I care too much. I'm sorry to say that being anal is part of who you are and it can't just be turned off, I know I've tryed!!!! If you are truly a car guy you take way to much pride in your ride and deep down its a reflection of who you are. Its good to know that I'm not the only one the feels this way.

I've been pretty successful with Dr. color chip it works great on small rock hits without globs of paint that touch up paint leaves behind.
Haha, sounds like me completely. Just today I decided to clean the massive bug death all over the front of my car from the long drive and just gave up halfway through it to revisit later. Huge PITA.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix

K-A, the "universe" sends "stone-mail" to nearly everyone. Do your best to take care of your car. When the dings and chips add-up, my wife and I take them to a professional detailer and restorer. I suffered my first few chips after trying to avoid following one of those dreaded material services (construction) trucks on the Interstate (it was poorly tarped). I used a BMW touch-up stick to fill-in two small chips on my hood, and two more near the rear passenger-side door handle. My wife's car was struck on the windshield with a small pebble of hot asphalt, which was flung across the intersection where she was stopped, by a passing truck that "kicked" it up from a freshly paved road. She watched in horror as it bounced-off her windshield onto her hood before sliding-off to the ground. Her favorite car wash operator knew how to remove the tar, but the heat left a small scorched chip on her hood, which I filled-in for her, later, using another BMW touch-up stick. We always know where to direct our eyes, especially when we wash and wax our cars, ourselves, but most others will never notice the "corrections." Enjoy your car. There's far too many other matters that are more deserving of our concern.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535ix M-sport

Well, I spent a crap load clear bra-ing a majority of the car. The entire front, hood, fenders, rocker panels, rear bumper, mirrors, lights, fogs, door edges, pillars, and roof to sunroof. Therefore, fate had it for a rock to find its way to my passenger side roof, near the sunroof. Basically one of the only unprotected areas on the car. LOL!!
Oh well, it's just a car...(I keep telling myself).

Old 05-02-2013, 06:20 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
I'm in the OCD boat with you guys. I've perfected parking two inches from the curb (remember, only end parking spots). Whenever my wife comes with me, I drop her off near the restaurant (or whatever) first.

The other day, I was driving in a parking area when I discovered I had to turn around because it was partitioned off to be the finish line to a cycle race of some sort. As I stopped to tell the parking attendant I needed to turn around, he walked over and placed his hand against the top of my door to lean against it to talk to me.

Mentally, I went completely ballistic! But I didn't say anything to him because my wife was in the car and I didn't want to be a D bag.

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 05-02-2013, 06:31 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Haha, sounds like me completely. Just today I decided to clean the massive bug death all over the front of my car from the long drive and just gave up halfway through it to revisit later. Huge PITA.
That's the worst I hate cleaning the bummper of death. But on a wht car it has to be done.

2013 535xi M-Sport | Alpine White/Black Dakota Leather/Hexagon Trim | Premium | Cold | Technology | Driver Assistance | Sport Transmission | Sport Seats | Premium hi-fi
Prior: 2011 535xi Sedan | Titanium Silver/Black Dakota Leather | Sport Package | Premium | Cold | Nav | Sport Transmission | Sirius | PDC
Prior: 2009 528xi Sedan | Monaco Blue/Cream Leather | Premium | Cold | Nav | Sirius | Xenon

Old 05-02-2013, 06:38 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordoor View Post
I'm in the OCD boat with you guys. I've perfected parking two inches from the curb (remember, only end parking spots). Whenever my wife comes with me, I drop her off near the restaurant (or whatever) first.

The other day, I was driving in a parking area when I discovered I had to turn around because it was partitioned off to be the finish line to a cycle race of some sort. As I stopped to tell the parking attendant I needed to turn around, he walked over and placed his hand against the top of my door to lean against it to talk to me.

Mentally, I went completely ballistic! But I didn't say anything to him because my wife was in the car and I didn't want to be a D bag.
I often find myself examining the car after I return to it when it's parked in a lot, like a walk around. How OCD is that. Lol

Old 05-02-2013, 11:47 PM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerific View Post
K-A, the "universe" sends "stone-mail" to nearly everyone. Do your best to take care of your car. When the dings and chips add-up, my wife and I take them to a professional detailer and restorer. I suffered my first few chips after trying to avoid following one of those dreaded material services (construction) trucks on the Interstate (it was poorly tarped). I used a BMW touch-up stick to fill-in two small chips on my hood, and two more near the rear passenger-side door handle. My wife's car was struck on the windshield with a small pebble of hot asphalt, which was flung across the intersection where she was stopped, by a passing truck that "kicked" it up from a freshly paved road. She watched in horror as it bounced-off her windshield onto her hood before sliding-off to the ground. Her favorite car wash operator knew how to remove the tar, but the heat left a small scorched chip on her hood, which I filled-in for her, later, using another BMW touch-up stick. We always know where to direct our eyes, especially when we wash and wax our cars, ourselves, but most others will never notice the "corrections." Enjoy your car. There's far too many other matters that are more deserving of our concern.

Holy CRAP! Talk about luck! You are very right. I already can't notice this "chip" on my door (now covered in touch up paint.... a "meh" touch up job by myself but really not noticeable unless looking for it), which means literally NO ONE even looking at the car closely would probably pick up on it. I think I'm just gonna use it to "chill out" on the car. If I can get myself to not be so extreme caring or extreme careless, and treat the car great, without making it so that *I* have to consider it flawless under an LED flashlight, I will have made great steps. Fact is, nobody in the world will notice this stuff. If you can't see it from a general distance in moderate light, then it really shouldn't exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by playdrum View Post
That's the worst I hate cleaning the bummper of death. But on a wht car it has to be done.
Maaan, that bumper of death of a bummer from hell! . I tried today and just gave up. The old me would slave away on it. The new me said "I'll do it when I drive back home, and if it leaves impressions, so be it". With that mentality, I guarantee the bumper will be flawless when I finally do get them off (difficult process as you know). People do this all the time with no problems if you think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordoor View Post

##$%$%$. That's what I'm saying. People all leaning on, touching up on the car. On a black car we have to worry the most as with white or silver at least, you don't have to really worry about fingerprints leaving visibly markings, you just worry about the simpler task of wiping the prints off (I miss those days, lol, never had to bust out Scratch X simply because a hand got on my paint). I too will "ask" my closer friends (who get my nuances) how to operate the car, however with others, I also don't flip out or even mention it when they do things that I slave hours over in preventing or eliminating, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeS View Post
Well, I spent a crap load clear bra-ing a majority of the car. The entire front, hood, fenders, rocker panels, rear bumper, mirrors, lights, fogs, door edges, pillars, and roof to sunroof. Therefore, fate had it for a rock to find its way to my passenger side roof, near the sunroof. Basically one of the only unprotected areas on the car. LOL!!
Oh well, it's just a car...(I keep telling myself).

Damn! That SUCKS! You guys have got me feeling better already as I know I'm not the only one. I thought I was the luckiest guy in the universe.