Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-06-2012, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i
Car was running rich. Soot all over my bumper. Excessive gas useage. I saw the sign like Ace of Base would say
Old 05-02-2013, 08:48 PM

Mein Auto: 535i 2008
Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB&BLUE5 View Post
Car was running rich. Soot all over my bumper. Excessive gas useage. I saw the sign like Ace of Base would say
hahah crackin up over here. love the ace of base reference
Old 05-03-2013, 12:11 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
I am not surprised at all. In fact, it's par for the course. Half the stuff on the M-Performance catalog are non-performance related (e.g. carbon-fiber mirror caps), and BMW is whoring out the "M" brand for more "M"oney and "M"arketing.
I gotta agree. I mean, I'm having fun with the exploiting of M badges on my "M Sport" since I feel that this car and the engineering put into it is so damn good that it honestly is worthy of an "M" or any big badge, however, fact is that it's whoring the badge out. Fortunately BMW engineered such a great car, I don't see people giving them much crap for it.

However, the "M Performance" parts are just the line. I was astonished in how there are no performance parts within them! WTF? At least "M Sport" is more appropriate, but these things literally SAY "Performance". You can get rocker panel decals that say "M Performance" on them, on an F10 without even M Sport Package. C'mon BMW, clean it up, "M Performance" is way too far and a surefire way to eventually truly dilute and kill the specialness and "power" of the M badge they so depend upon.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 535ix M-sport
F10 M Performance 535i Exhaust is a Joke!

Ive been chewing on this exhaust for sometime. This week I finally had the opportunity to cruise around with all the windows down and I quickly came to the conclusion that I will pursue the msport exhaust. The performance of the car is good enough for me, sound wise I almost feel like I'm driving a Lexus hybrid at times. I need sound !!! I want to here that I6 in all its glory!!!

As far as whoring the "M", I somewhat agree, but its nothing like "AMG"....at least not yet.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-03-2013, 05:49 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to MoldCAD
Mein Auto: 528i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeS View Post
I
As far as whoring the "M", I somewhat agree, but its nothing like "AMG"....at least not yet.
I beg to disagree - it's already much worse than AMG. Not that I'm a MB fanboy - to the contrary, I love BMW in spite of many disappointments - but putting 10 'M' stickers on a modest 528 is silly And of course, none of them has anything to do with performance.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:07 AM
Dark Knight

Yeah, M-B actually doesn't put any AMG badges on their Sport-Package cars, which you have to respect. My W211 E with what was then a very rare and expensive AMG Sport Package had exhaust tips with AMG carved into them. However, as the Sport Package become generic/whored/out/free, M-B stopped using the "AMG" word in it, and took off any signs of AMG badging. The only way you can get any AMG logos at all on an M-B is if you get the "AMG Wheel Package" where it comes on the rims.

Now if we're talking the *LOOK*, then yes, M-B has whored the AMG look out so much that who cares about badging. The most normalized M-B's have what were originally designed to be "AMG Sport Packages", they don't even charge a penny for it. BMW at least keeps the "M" look exclusive, which IMO allows them to get more away with giving us badges, as we get more out of the package and pay for it.

Last edited by K-A; 05-03-2013 at 06:08 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535ix M-sport
F10 M Performance 535i Exhaust is a Joke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoldCAD View Post
I beg to disagree - it's already much worse than AMG. Not that I'm a MB fanboy - to the contrary, I love BMW in spite of many disappointments - but putting 10 'M' stickers on a modest 528 is silly And of course, none of them has anything to do with performance.
I will agree the m badges are a little much, but other then the small symbols on the wheels there is nothing external. not sure if this is just my area...However, look at a Benz dealer lot and look at the percentage of AMG looking models versus standard, then look at a BMW lot for msport percentages. It is exactly the opposite and you see it on the street. Almost every Benz I see on the road is sport and looks AMG like. BMW is the exact opposite. I mainly see the standard versus msport and probably because you need to pay for it, which I am in favor of and I hope BMW continues to do. However, if they continue the trend and keep making it a cheaper option, it will be played out like amg.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:41 PM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeS View Post
I will agree the m badges are a little much, but other then the small symbols on the wheels there is nothing external. not sure if this is just my area...However, look at a Benz dealer lot and look at the percentage of AMG looking models versus standard, then look at a BMW lot for msport percentages. It is exactly the opposite and you see it on the street. Almost every Benz I see on the road is sport and looks AMG like. BMW is the exact opposite. I mainly see the standard versus msport and probably because you need to pay for it, which I am in favor of and I hope BMW continues to do. However, if they continue the trend and keep making it a cheaper option, it will be played out like amg.

This is one of the reasons I jumped from M-B. It's hard to be an enthusiast of a mass-market brand who whores out what used to be their most individualized package. The AMG look is as standard as the standard AnyCar look these days. The M Sport being a more expensive option was part of what made me come to BMW. Yes, the M is getting marketed out to hell, but at least the package itself is still unique, which IMO warrants them putting badges here and there on it, whereas M-B could never do that, as that would mean literally every Benz on the street would have an AMG badge on it. As long as BMW still ask a premium for and keep the "M" look relatively "exclusive", I won't chide them too much for over-bading 4 Cyl cars with it.