Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 05-09-2012, 10:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Is anyone else concerned as of late about the long-term realiability of their d's?

I continue to read and hear about some pretty major problems from other owner who have already experienced things like, head replacements, EGR issues requireing replacment, metering valve replacements, DEF pump/tank replacements etc I am starting to feel like I am playing Russian Roulette with my car and that it's only a matter of time before my number is up - I just hope it's during the warranty period.

Although I have only experienced a handful of issues to include the AC belt squeel, and clogged metering valve, I get the feeling that I am on borrowed time; a feeling that I am not use to having own/owned 2 Lexus's. By all accounts some of these repairs are turning out to be VERY expensive, but thankfully most appeared to be covered warranty. And while BMW seems to be addressing some of the issues by replacing parts, reprograming the DME etc through recalls and SIB's, but the fact is it's just to early to tell if BMW has even solved the problems assocaited w/some of these issues.

It also got me to thinking that we will not likley have the benefit of going to an Indy shop for repairs when out of warranty only because most if not all are unfamiliar with our diesel engines (at least today). This will force us to keep going back to the dealer for anything major that pops up and not only is it expensive, but I have a general lack of confidence in my dealer's ability to adequatly diagnose and repair an issue.

I bring this up atan interesting time because I am about to ****out my lease, so I am feeling a little aprehensive. I do intend to buy an extended warranty which should cover me up to 100k, but nevertheless I can't help but feel concerned.

Is anyone else starting to get that unsettled feeling in their stomach when it comes to the reliability of their ds?

Coincidently my SES light came on this morning. I am not sure if it has anything do with I am on the low DEF will not start countdown clock w/less than 900 miles to go or if it's something else entirely. I plan to connect the BT cable tonight to pull the code.
Ads by Google
Old 05-09-2012, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
Chris I have been having an uneasy feeling also, but damn I really have been spanking my D badly like two cent whore. Its clocking @ almost 14k and I have only had it for 10 months Fme; on an island 100x35. Oh well what can i say F'it!!
Old 05-09-2012, 12:03 PM

Mein Auto: '11 335d, '00 540iT
It's really all about emissions. Remember BMW has been selling very reliable Diesels for decades, just not in the USA. Almost all the issues we have are due to meeting our pollution standards. My personal opinion is most of these issues will be resolved with changes in software. I do think the DEF meter/pump issues was a design problem, that I believe effected some of the earlier D's, not the later ones. The replacing the intake becaused it's gunked up to me was improper amounts of egr under certain conditions.

I'm sill a youngster, just over 16K miles on the clock, but have yet to see a single warning light except TPS when I got a screw in a tire. At the same time it was rare that our gas powered BMWs would go more than a year or 2 without setting off the CEL for some reason or another. Obviously only time will tell.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:30 PM

I didnt have issues so far with 35k miles. And I have decided to take up Extended warranty because local indy shops have no idea about these cars. So NOPE I am not worried

335d Black Sapphire/Biege/Premium/Sport/Cold/Nav/CA/PDC/iPod

Old 05-09-2012, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
time will tell, if it gives me issues I will flip it for a porsche diesel when warentee up. if not I will keep to 120k mi

powered by lemings
Old 05-09-2012, 01:16 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Since I've been racking up the miles pretty fast (now at 46K - in 2.5 years), I've decided that I will probably buy the extended warranty. Obviously, that will take me to 100K and 5 years; essentially the same as a CPO warranty (but I have to pay for it.) The main reason is to ensure that any SCR/DPF problems are taken care of cheaply.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:01 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
Frankly, I'm a little concerned. I have 67,000 miles on my 2010 D and past vehicles had been pretty much problem free at this point.
To date on the D:
Reflash ECU
Back pressure pipe replaced- after warranty so my cost
SES light on intermittently- code tells me it's SCR valve related so it looks like BMW will cover this based on info learned here
ABS and Brake warning lights on- ABS is working fine and brakes have life left in them so it's a sensor problem which will be my cost

Past vehicles(and there have been quite a few of them because of the miles I put on) really have been oil/fluid and filter changes till 100,000 miles
and most I have driven to 150,000 and still running strong before pulling the trigger on a new vehicle. Love the motor and the technology on the D but I expected better on the reliability side of things. Luckily, most of the problems are sensor glitches and don't require emergency service.

EDIT: My first car in high school was a Triumph TR6 and that car spent more time being pushed than driven so the D is like a swiss watch compared to the TR6!
Hummer H3
Audi S4
Audi A8
Toyota 4 Runner
Nissan 300ZX Turbo
Mercedes 300E
GMC Jimmy
Triumph TR6

Last edited by dnaer; 05-09-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:38 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

I am cautiously optimistic. I'm only at 5k miles, but so far not so much as a hiccup. I love the car and hope it holds up well, if for no other reason than keep the wife on board with getting another next time :-)

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video: https://vimeo.com/60051914
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 05-09-2012, 06:55 PM
hang up and drive!

I too get to thinking about it as well. I plan to keep this car for a long time, as long as it is reliable as a commuter. That is supposedly one of the strong suits of the diesel engines, longer life.

I'm at 37k, had an emission ECU go out, slipping A/C Fan belt, SES light due to software (corrected in 2010 SIB), one bad turn signal light, and that is it.

I've got another 13k (about one more year) to go until I reach the 50k 4 year limit, so will have to make a decision sometime sooner than later.

It's a tough call to part with $5.5k for basically 26k more miles.

I think my chances are very good that I will have no issues until well after 75k miles.

Hey, we have each other to get through this!
Old 05-09-2012, 07:02 PM
Love my Diesel Vehicles

Mein Auto: E350BlueTec, Jetta TDI
My D has 500 miles to go before the warranty is up!
So far no SES and only part replaced under warranty was the passenger side mirror which was making a grinding sound on folding/unfolding.
My rear brakes were replaced a couple of months earlier due to wear and tear.

I paid cash for the D so I'll be keeping it for the long haul.
I did not get any extended warranty so will roll the dice.

It still drives like the first day I got it.

Current Rides:
2013 E350 BlueTec
2011 VW Jetta TDI
Old 05-09-2012, 07:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
I'm at 20K and no problems. Am hoping BMW brings a 5 series diesel before my warranty expires. If not, I'll be trading for a MB E350 BlueTech or an Audi A6 diesel.

Colonel (Ret) US Army / Hagerstown, MD
1985 M635 Euro Alpine White/Pacific Blue (Fun Car)
2010 Z4 s30i Alpine White/Beige
(Road Trip Car)

2013 Audi A6 Ibis White/Nougat (Daily Driver)
2013 Audi A4(Ret)
2011 335d (Ret)
2009 335i vert (Ret)
2007 335i vert (Ret) ED 04-13-10
2000 740iL (Ret)
1998 328iC (Ret)
1990 535i (Ret)
1988 635CSi (Ret)
Old 05-09-2012, 08:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
I continue to read and hear about some pretty major problems from other owner who have already experienced things like, head replacements, EGR issues requireing replacment, metering valve replacements, DEF pump/tank replacements etc I am starting to feel like I am playing Russian Roulette with my car and that it's only a matter of time before my number is up - I just hope it's during the warranty period.
Don't forget that a couple people have posted up about transmission failures. I can think of 2 people posting about it but might been more than that.

Quote:
It also got me to thinking that we will not likley have the benefit of going to an Indy shop for repairs when out of warranty only because most if not all are unfamiliar with our diesel engines (at least today). This will force us to keep going back to the dealer for anything major that pops up and not only is it expensive, but I have a general lack of confidence in my dealer's ability to adequatly diagnose and repair an issue.
Find an Independent shop that works on a handful of brand cars. For example the Indy shop I sometimes use for my Mercedes also works on BMWs. I know of many Indy shops that work on a handful of Euro makes. This ensures you have someone experienced with diesel engines and probably far more experienced that the people at the BMW dealership.

Quote:
Is anyone else starting to get that unsettled feeling in their stomach when it comes to the reliability of their ds?
My uneasy feeling is the fact that it seems like anytime someone has a diesel specific problem that it takes the dealers and BMW forever to figure out how to fix it. They never seem to have the parts and have to order things out of Germany. If parts are hard to get today for these then what will it be like in 2-3 years? I doubt things are going to get better. I all but decided I will buy the extended warranty but after that is up if my car has one of these big problems then it just became a throw away car.

Quote:
Coincidently my SES light came on this morning. I am not sure if it has anything do with I am on the low DEF will not start countdown clock w/less than 900 miles to go or if it's something else entirely. I plan to connect the BT cable tonight to pull the code.
Your SES light is unrelated to the low DEF. I went through the low DEF scenario already and never got an SES light during it all. My SES light has been on for a few days. I am 1100-1200 miles past whatever the regular service is that shows your car on a lift. So not sure if the SES light is now on because I am so late for that service or if I have a problem causing the SES. I am not all that motivated to take the car into the dealer right now. Knowing a recall is coming up and knowing my rear brakes are needed in 3k miles really makes me unmotivated to take it in just so it can come back there in a couple months for the other items.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:52 PM

Mein Auto: '11 X5d
Not really no. The diesel seems pretty well sorted out

I'm waiting for the next gen X5d and Q7 TDI to debut before I trade in my X5 in a couple of years. Might even make the leap to Porsche for the Cayenne TDI
Old 05-10-2012, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: 335D
Not concerned at all. Emissions system will get sorted out.

I have 35k on mine and no problems at all.

Sent from my MB525 using Bimmer App
Old 05-10-2012, 12:25 PM

Mein Auto: 'BMW 335d, Audi A3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Not really no. The diesel seems pretty well sorted out
I agree.
Prior to buying my '10 335d I spent a lot of time lurking on the various forums of the cars that I was considering including this one. Other than the DEF /EGR issues there doesn't seem any serious problem trends. That was not the case for other cars that I was looking at.

I think for that reason the D will ultimately prove to be a reliable car.

OTOH, I share Snipe's concern:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
My uneasy feeling is the fact that it seems like anytime someone has a diesel specific problem that it takes the dealers and BMW forever to figure out how to fix it. They never seem to have the parts and have to order things out of Germany. If parts are hard to get today for these then what will it be like in 2-3 years? I doubt things are going to get better.
My recent experience with a local dealer - is that when I asked them to check the DEF level the SA didn't know what DEF was. That's simply because they don't see that many diesels. And will see even less as time goes on.

My '90 Audi V8q was in a similar category. Audi stopped importing the car to the US in '94. That car had a completely different drivetrain, suspension and brake system than the std 100/200. Very few were sold in the US. Only certain Audi dealers had mechanics trained on that model. By '98 getting service & parts for the car became a challenge. That said, and maybe because it was a special car, Audi did commit to overnight airfreight from Germany for any part for the V8q. So the car was never tied up very long waiting for parts.

But to put this in perspective the V8q - unlike the 335D - was a high maintenance car.

Retired:
'69 VW Fastback
'73 MGB
'78 Camaro LT ttops
'80 VW Diesel rabbit
'81 Audi 4000 4E
'84 Audi 5000 5sp
'87 Audi 5000 auto
'90 Audi V8q
'92 Millenia
'01 Acura TL
'93 Miata b Candy Apple red, AC, Factory hardtop
Old 05-10-2012, 12:27 PM

I asked them to check my DEF once and they checked some completely different fluid. I forget what it was, I think it was the windshield wipe fluid.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boooomer View Post
I agree.
Prior to buying my '10 335d I spent a lot of time lurking on the various forums of the cars that I was considering including this one. Other than the DEF /EGR issues there doesn't seem any serious problem trends. That was not the case for other cars that I was looking at.

I think for that reason the D will ultimately prove to be a reliable car.

Prior to buying your '10? The 335d only arrived on our shores in 2009. It's now 2012 and with more d's on the road and more time/miles on them there have been numerous reports of issues to include several MAJOR issues involving replacing the heads on at least 2 forum members cars, at a cost of $10k to $14k no less, not to mention the reported transmission failures as Snipe pointed out. These reports obviously do not account for the numbers of other owners who have not reported similar issues as well as whatever other issues they have had on forums.

For that reason I am not so sure I follow your logic in concluding the 335d will prove to be a reliable car. By many accounts it has already proven to be otherwise.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:58 PM

It of course is all subjective. My truck is a 6.0 Powerstroke and they have the reputation of being very unreliable. My truck had one problem before 100k miles and that was one sensor went bad. My BMW has had several problems and does not even have 30k miles on it. I am not sure I'd classify either as unreliable. But what concerns me with the BMW is knowledge/experience when problems happen. Too many times on here people describe what sounds like BMW just throwing parts at a problem with hopes of something fixing the problem. Factor that in with parts appearing to not be easy to acquire in a speedy manner becomes a troublesome issue for me.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:59 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
My 2011 has 33kmi and to date my only issues were:

1. DEF transfer pump losing prime (fixed under warranty)
2. iDrive Controller de-laminating - nothing to do with being a diesel (fixed under warranty)
3. Premature wear on the driver's seat - nothing to do with being a diesel (dealer deferred to BMW to determine if it is a warranty item)

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 05-10-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:

Find an Independent shop that works on a handful of brand cars. For example the Indy shop I sometimes use for my Mercedes also works on BMWs. I know of many Indy shops that work on a handful of Euro makes. This ensures you have someone experienced with
The problem isn't finding an indy shop to work on a euro car, there are plenty of indy shops around me that work on BMW, Mercs etc. The problem is finding one that can diagnose and work my diesel BMW. Shoot factory trained certified master technicians at BMW dealers have enough trouble doing this.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
The problem isn't finding an indy shop to work on a euro car, there are plenty of indy shops around me that work on BMW, Mercs etc. The problem is finding one that can diagnose and work my diesel BMW. Shoot factory trained certified master technicians at BMW dealers have enough trouble doing this.
I believe ones that have lots of experience working on a variety of modern diesels will do a better job than the factory trained BMW ones who probably don't have many opportunities to diagnose diesels at BMW dealers.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:23 PM

It seems BMW sells a decent amount of diesel X5s. I would've thought the X5 sales would result in dealers being minimally well versed on this engine.

Doesn't appear to be the case.

Quote:
I believe ones that have lots of experience working on a variety of modern diesels will do a better job than the factory trained BMW ones who probably don't have many opportunities to diagnose diesels at BMW dealers.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
Old 05-10-2012, 05:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535d M-Sport
Thanks for the thought-provoking thread. My '10 model (build 2/10) fortunately has been trouble-free; other than the reflash(es) most of us have had along the way and the free OC's/services. Oh, I DID pay for the bogus "smog check requirement" here in CA on a car just two years old which irritated me, but I can't blame the car or BMW for that.

I have seen "increased battery discharge" message and the yellow triangle a few times when I didn't drive the car enough. There weren't any issues causing discharge other than non-use.
I bought the car cash and originally planned to hang on to it for 10-12 years. I still lean that way and will probably get the extended W. when my four years arrives. For me, that may happen before 50K, unlike many others here. I'm still below 20K but have some big road trips coming up soon to ratchet up more miles.

I still really like the way the car handles and have not become jaded or bored with it; which is really saying something since no car has done that as well, looking back on my 46 years of owning and driving automobiles. Also, I don't want to get kicked in the guts again with the depreciation monster---so I'll roll the dice and keep this car in the family for the longer haul.

It does seem like there are some 335d's that are more trouble-prone than others; seems obvious from reading the posts here. Knock on wood- I think mine seems OK...
Old 05-11-2012, 02:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
Had the EGR cooler replaced at 11k, no SES lights though, just something I check on a regular basis, noticed the soot and made an appointment but other than that so far so good.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:21 AM

Mein Auto: '11 335d, '00 540iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ductman View Post
Had the EGR cooler replaced at 11k, no SES lights though, just something I check on a regular basis, noticed the soot and made an appointment but other than that so far so good.
Please explain more about this. There is another thread (another board) with pictures that seem to indicate many of the cars have what appears to be black paint sprayed around below the turbo area, including mine. Not a lot, does not impact the operation of the car, it's just common and no one can figure out where it's coming from. Sort of like the car burped.