Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 05-21-2012, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: Turbo M3
I'm just under 47k miles, and haven't had a single issue yet.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335d E92 MSport
Chris, I'm at 100,000 miles, 70,000 of which have been running 340 bhp 510 lbs ft on my DTUK tuning box

I've had one issue, the oil feed pipe for the little turbo started to Frey at the crimped end. Replaced, genuine part and main dealer labour....50all in

The only thing's I have replaced are :

Vacuume piping ( starting to become brittle and crack )
Egr delete pipe ( nothing wrong, just wanted to prevent carbon build up )

That's honestly it .....
Old 05-24-2012, 07:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d +Turbo E36 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
At 100k miles though it will not be worth a whole lot. Nothing to me shows that these will not last to at least 200k. Sure some repairs might be needed and some repairs might be desired. But way I look at it the car once out of all warranties has then tanked a lot in value. I have just shy of 28k miles on my car and doubt I could get over $20k for it. Matter of fact I think I'd be lucky to get $20k. So tack on another 70k miles and now where is my worth? I doubt it is much at all and especially when factoring how much harder parts will be to get and the more than likely needed maintenance items between 100-150k.
If you only want $20k for your 335d with under 30k miles, just let me know.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMC View Post
If you only want $20k for your 335d with under 30k miles, just let me know.
The whole reason I still have the car is because of the horrible resale value I ran into when I tried to get rid of it. So I have no intentions of selling it until I either a) get relocated over seas for work OR b) it finally is out of warranty and costs too much to keep on the road. I tried getting rid of it around 20-21k miles and wanted $25k but at the time best I could get I think was $21k so opted to just keep the thing.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: Turbo M3
Quote:
The whole reason I still have the car is because of the horrible resale value I ran into when I tried to get rid of it. So I have no intentions of selling it until I either a) get relocated over seas for work OR b) it finally is out of warranty and costs too much to keep on the road. I tried getting rid of it around 20-21k miles and wanted $25k but at the time best I could get I think was $21k so opted to just keep the thing.
if that's how much you want for it I have a buyer for you.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concentric190 View Post
if that's how much you want for it I have a buyer for you.
I will have to think about it. The other side of all of this is I was going to use the money from the 335d plus money I had saved up to buy a used AMG. After the ordeal with low resale value I decided an AMG was not in my grasps right now and had a deal fall into my lap on a vintage Mustang. So basically all the money I had saved up went to the Mustang and has pretty much put me out of the position to buy something better than the 335d to replace it.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:37 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
I can't take you seriously. Unless you've beat the **** out of your D and it looks it, then I don't consider your claim credible. I had my D in for warranty work (rubber strip replacement on the body not the door), and talked about a trade to an X5d. I was offered 32. This is on a car that I wrecked - no structural damage but a 15k repair bill. After adjusting for the 10k of diminished value, the 32k offer was fair. Granted, my D is newer with fewer miles but 20k? I call BS!
Old 06-25-2012, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfyr View Post
I can't take you seriously. Unless you've beat the **** out of your D and it looks it, then I don't consider your claim credible. I had my D in for warranty work (rubber strip replacement on the body not the door), and talked about a trade to an X5d. I was offered 32. This is on a car that I wrecked - no structural damage but a 15k repair bill. After adjusting for the 10k of diminished value, the 32k offer was fair. Granted, my D is newer with fewer miles but 20k? I call BS!
And were they selling the X5d with next to no profit in it? How much off MSRP was the selling price on the X5d? What is the dealer cost on an X5d? I was offered $28k around the same time to trade in on a Panamera but they also were getting no where near their $78k dealer cost on the car for my selling price. Porsche was just making me feel good about the value of my trade in via dipping into the profit on their inventory car. Simple fact is what I was offered was right around exactly what the dealer could get for it in the wholesale market because that is exactly where it was going to go because they do not keep non MBZ used cars on their used lot.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 35D
Quote:
And were they selling the X5d with next to no profit in it? How much off MSRP was the selling price on the X5d? What is the dealer cost on an X5d? I was offered $28k around the same time to trade in on a Panamera but they also were getting no where near their $78k dealer cost on the car for my selling price. Porsche was just making me feel good about the value of my trade in via dipping into the profit on their inventory car. Simple fact is what I was offered was right around exactly what the dealer could get for it in the wholesale market because that is exactly where it was going to go because they do not keep non MBZ used cars on their used lot.
I think it is location. You are in Texas it looks like...not sure how much people get the idea of diesel coupe. I looked on cars.com, and there are only a few diesel 335's for sell there, and the prices are all quite low. In SF where I live, there are more for sell nd pricedat around $10k higher than what you see near Houston. You didn't say where you were relocating, but if it is relatively more cosmopolitan, you might have more luck IMO.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Alot View Post
I think it is location. You are in Texas it looks like...not sure how much people get the idea of diesel coupe. I looked on cars.com, and there are only a few diesel 335's for sell there, and the prices are all quite low. In SF where I live, there are more for sell nd pricedat around $10k higher than what you see near Houston. You didn't say where you were relocating, but if it is relatively more cosmopolitan, you might have more luck IMO.
We were going to relocate overseas but that did not happen this time around so perhaps in 2.5-3 years. When I was looking to trade in my car I know there was one as far out as Atlanta just like mine but not selling and not for sale for a lot more than I was expecting. But that might just have to do with Atlanta as well as Houston.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:39 PM

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
We were going to relocate overseas but that did not happen this time around so perhaps in 2.5-3 years. When I was looking to trade in my car I know there was one as far out as Atlanta just like mine but not selling and not for sale for a lot more than I was expecting. But that might just have to do with Atlanta as well as Houston.
Your point about dealer pricing and inflation of trade in given max sale profit. And, the other gentleman's point about location is probably even more on point. In the NW diesels are popular and so resale is relatively high. Sell your car to a private party on the west coast before it gets pounded by hail!
Old 06-26-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfyr View Post
Your point about dealer pricing and inflation of trade in given max sale profit. And, the other gentleman's point about location is probably even more on point. In the NW diesels are popular and so resale is relatively high. Sell your car to a private party on the west coast before it gets pounded by hail!
I was talking to my wife about this yesterday and just not sure it really makes sense to do over just keeping it and seeing how long it lasts. At best private sale I think it would fetch $27k and that is based upon what I see people asking for similar cars on Autotrader. When all said and done I think that returns us our down payment around $10-12k, perhaps more but not looked to see what we owe on it. The car I'd want to buy would be probably be $50-60k. So would end up bouncing up our monthly car payment amount. It was an easier option to think about before spending $25k on the other car out there and having that lump sum to combine with whatever the BMW brought in.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335d M Sport
Just got new tire yesterday when one of my run flats picked up a nail. Replaced the whole dang tire, for a nail. I'm not the kind of guy that buys extended warranties, but I did indeed buy the tire warranty for the RFT's because it's 5 years unlimited miles and I plan on putting at least 25K mi/yr on the the car.

Nice to get a new tire, but had mixed feelings about forking over the $50 deductible for what would have been a cheaper patch/plug repair on a non-RFT tire....
Old 06-26-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjack View Post
Just got new tire yesterday when one of my run flats picked up a nail. Replaced the whole dang tire, for a nail. I'm not the kind of guy that buys extended warranties, but I did indeed buy the tire warranty for the RFT's because it's 5 years unlimited miles and I plan on putting at least 25K mi/yr on the the car.

Nice to get a new tire, but had mixed feelings about forking over the $50 deductible for what would have been a cheaper patch/plug repair on a non-RFT tire....
The tire/wheel warranty we bought also is 5 years and unlimited miles but it has no deductible. In hindsight though I'd been a lot better off just going to Discount Tires and buying their road hazard certificates for the tires that came on the car then buy the certificates for any replacements. I think those certificates were around $10 per tire, it was really cheap is all I remember.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: 335D, 435i (Ordered)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjack View Post

RFT can be plugged and patched like any other tire. It comes down to whether or not the shop wants to do the work. I'm speaking from personal experience btw.

Sent from my MB525 using Bimmer App
Old 06-26-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl View Post
RFT can be plugged and patched like any other tire. It comes down to whether or not the shop wants to do the work. I'm speaking from personal experience btw.

As I understand it the problem is they can't tell the strength of the sidewall on a RFT and that is why a lot of shops will not repair one. They don't want to possibly be liable for plugging a tire that was a safety hazard due to the sidewall strength. But outside that common sense should be enough to tell someone you got a simple nail and went a little bit down the road to the tire shop so the thing can be plugged.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:06 PM

Mein Auto: 'BMW 335d, Audi A3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl View Post

While driving on the interstate - about 300 miles from home, I picked up a spike that left a 1/4" hole in the center of the tread. Fortunately, after having driven about 10 miles to the next exit, there was a mechanic that was able to patch the tire. It held fine for the trip home. In fact it held fine for another month of local driving. But after reading in several places that the tire is supposed to be replaced if you've driven on it flat, I decided that the $250 for the replacement tire was worth the peace of mind.

In a way it was all worthwhile as I didn't have to empty the trunk (which was packed) to get to a spare and change the tire on the interstate. I kept the speed under 50 and the car handled normally. Other than the flashing warnings on the dash, it was a lot less stressful than driving on a doughnut.

Retired:
'69 VW Fastback
'73 MGB
'78 Camaro LT ttops
'80 VW Diesel rabbit
'81 Audi 4000 4E
'84 Audi 5000 5sp
'87 Audi 5000 auto
'90 Audi V8q
'92 Millenia
'01 Acura TL
'93 Miata b Candy Apple red, AC, Factory hardtop
Old 06-26-2012, 12:23 PM

Mein Auto: 'BMW 335d, Audi A3
Quote:
As I understand it the problem is they can't tell the strength of the sidewall on a RFT and that is why a lot of shops will not repair one. They don't want to possibly be liable for plugging a tire that was a safety hazard due to the sidewall strength. But outside that common sense should be enough to tell someone you got a simple nail and went a little bit down the road to the tire shop so the thing can be plugged.
My tire was successfully plugged even though I had driven 10 miles on it flat.
When I did eventually replace my tire, the tire mechanic & shop foreman both said that the tire sidewall looked ok & that they didn't think it was necessary to replace. However - considering my upcoming trip to NM through triple digit temperatures and *possible* triple digit speeds, I didn't want to worry about the integrity of the sidewall.

Retired:
'69 VW Fastback
'73 MGB
'78 Camaro LT ttops
'80 VW Diesel rabbit
'81 Audi 4000 4E
'84 Audi 5000 5sp
'87 Audi 5000 auto
'90 Audi V8q
'92 Millenia
'01 Acura TL
'93 Miata b Candy Apple red, AC, Factory hardtop
Old 06-26-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boooomer View Post
My tire was successfully plugged even though I had driven 10 miles on it flat.
When I did eventually replace my tire, the tire mechanic & shop foreman both said that the tire sidewall looked ok & that they didn't think it was necessary to replace. However - considering my upcoming trip to NM through triple digit temperatures and *possible* triple digit speeds, I didn't want to worry about the integrity of the sidewall.
Yeah. I do not think that even the makers of run flats say that they have to be replaced if ever being punctured. They leave it up to the judgement of the tire shop. It just is my understanding that it can be very hard to judge due to how thick the sidewalls are and not usually knowing how far/aggressive the owner drove on it while "flat".
Old 06-26-2012, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335d M Sport
Hmmm, do tell. I have a good tire/car repair shop near the house that I might try next time.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto: 335D, 435i (Ordered)
Quote:
From my shop the rules were the following:

#1 Speed rating is voided on any tire which was repaired.
#2 Sidewalls are not repaired for liability reasons (RFT or not)
#3 The "Run Flat" capability on a RFT is voided once it's driven flat and repaired.

That's really about it. I suppose some states are more litigious(sp?) with regards to liability of the shop which performed the repair.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:01 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335d
My 2009 335d has just passed 143,000 miles. I'm now just having my first major problem. The main DEF tank, EGR valve and the HFE valve, need to be replaced. Outside of that, 3 burned out tail lights---always the right side. This has been an absolutely great car, I purchased in April of '09 and have just flat out put close to 4,000 miles a month on this car. I had purchased the the extended warranty/service plan, this took me to 100,000, so brakes have been covered. The rear have been done twice, and the front once. I'm in sales and have a large chunk of Florida as my territory, brutal heat most of the year. Never an A/C problem, overheating, transmission problems--nothing. I use this car almost exclusively for sales and my company has a generous mileage allowance, so I have nothing to complain about.

Still the torque is intoxicating, this is my first BMW auto and I have been very pleased. I will purchase another---and hopefully hand the "d" to my son. I also have a '04 BMW R1150RT motorcycle which has been spectacular.

In my humble opinion, very reliable car and will go many, many more miles!!
Old 07-06-2012, 06:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by GangweDM View Post
My 2009 335d has just passed 143,000 miles. I'm now just having my first major problem. The main DEF tank, EGR valve and the HFE valve, need to be replaced. Outside of that, 3 burned out tail lights---always the right side. This has been an absolutely great car, I purchased in April of '09 and have just flat out put close to 4,000 miles a month on this car. I had purchased the the extended warranty/service plan, this took me to 100,000, so brakes have been covered. The rear have been done twice, and the front once. I'm in sales and have a large chunk of Florida as my territory, brutal heat most of the year. Never an A/C problem, overheating, transmission problems--nothing. I use this car almost exclusively for sales and my company has a generous mileage allowance, so I have nothing to complain about.

Still the torque is intoxicating, this is my first BMW auto and I have been very pleased. I will purchase another---and hopefully hand the "d" to my son. I also have a '04 BMW R1150RT motorcycle which has been spectacular.

Great info man! I love hearing stories like these. Makes me feel a lot better about my 2011 with 28k miles. Knowing you are all the way up to 143k miles and have pretty much driven the car into the ground and it has still done so well.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GangweDM View Post

Were any of those recent replacements covered by recalls? I only ask because some of those parts were just replaced on my 2008 built car and under the recalls.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:36 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335d
I had also just had the recall done, about 3 weeks prior to my current issues. Then all of a sudden the SES light, reduced power icon. None of the parts are covered by the recall in my case (so I'm told) it's going to be a substantial bill.