Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 07-23-2012, 08:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by dThree35 View Post
Regarding fuel injector malfunctions, my suspicion is that fuel quality would be the contributing factor? I say this with no knowledge or information to back it up.

Just a suspicion. Or are these high tech injectors unable to withstand the pressure so to speak?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Bimmer App
One could only speculate.

I have had 8 injectors on my truck go bad in 217k miles. Was that all(4 separate trips) fuel quality issues or poor design of injectors or poor programming from Ford or .....

Certainly smart to try and run good quality fuel but always the off chance you just got a defective part. What I'd be worried on is what about the other five injectors.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
I should add that recently a friend had to replace an injector on her 535 with 36k miles. So it's not just a diesel thing to be sure. And that wasn't her first.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by dThree35 View Post
I should add that recently a friend had to replace an injector on her 535 with 36k miles. So it's not just a diesel thing to be sure. And that wasn't her first.

Any idea as to if any of the injector replacements happened on the same cylinder? If always a different cylinder then goes right back to my worry on if one goes bad then how far off are the others.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:43 PM

My thinking is this is a different injector. Symptom was rough idle. However,

the engine in the 2008 535 was part of the HPFP fiasco so they could have previously changed injectors as part of the mandatory parts barage when they refused to acknowledge the real problem because that's what a flow chart says to do. I tend to believe this was the first real need for an injector replacement.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d jet black
no doubt one of them on 401 is mine. 011 Black,black rims,tinting. Neilson/401 area. Also service at Entras. No issues. Best car I ever owned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-IT View Post
Hi GreekboyD

I used to live in Scarborough near Port Union area.
I've moved to Ajax so now I'm very close to Endras BMW where I bought my D and I have it serviced there.

I normally use Shell or Petro-Canada.

I do see quite a few Ds on the 401 which I travel daily.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d Sport
As time goes by, injectors will be made to be more durable. My E320 CDI had the #1 go bad and it looked like it might have been from metal fatigue. The daily expansion/contraction from heat cycling and the delicate construction with high pressure as well as exposure at the very front of the engine may have had something to do with it. But I'm only guessing.

There will always be a cost/durability compromise in automotive engineering. They can always build an engine that can go a million miles, but it would cost 10 times what the car costs now and would outlast all other components, so engines are designed like everything else - to a certain durability specification within cost parameters.

PL
Old 01-08-2013, 11:38 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
The good news is that the EGR is covered by the warranties. And the slightly even better news is that, since I live in a CA emissions state (WA), the entire business is covered for 7 years/70K miles...
I wanted to update y'all on this, as I just had the SES light go on; turned out to be the SCR metering valve (part #18307807206) that injects DEF post-DPF/Catalyst. Car is at 59K.

SA at BMW Bellevue had to call/email BMWNA to figure out whether it was covered by the 7/70K (love being on the west coast, always means a day's delay because those east coast guys don't do anything until late afternoon). Turns out it is - apparently the dealer service centers don't have the "list" of everything that's covered. What a bogus system!

Anyway, the whole shebang - Diagnosis (1-2 hours), part (realoem & penske have it for $425 or so but Bellevue wanted over $500 - what's with that?), and installation ($340 !!!) all covered.

Also, when I called for an appt, the SA I talked to first swore up and down that "only cars registered in CA qualify for the 7/70K CA warranty". Boy are those guys poorly trained. I complained to BMWNA, and to the Bellevue Service manager.

Bottom line: if you're in one of the lucky 13 states, INSIST ON YOUR RIGHTS!

Last edited by floydarogers; 01-08-2013 at 11:39 AM. Reason: add mileage
Old 01-18-2013, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnaer View Post
Frankly, I'm a little concerned. I have 67,000 miles on my 2010 D and past vehicles had been pretty much problem free at this point.
To date on the D:
Reflash ECU
Back pressure pipe replaced- after warranty so my cost
SES light on intermittently- code tells me it's SCR valve related so it looks like BMW will cover this based on info learned here
ABS and Brake warning lights on- ABS is working fine and brakes have life left in them so it's a sensor problem which will be my cost

Past vehicles(and there have been quite a few of them because of the miles I put on) really have been oil/fluid and filter changes till 100,000 miles
and most I have driven to 150,000 and still running strong before pulling the trigger on a new vehicle. Love the motor and the technology on the D but I expected better on the reliability side of things. Luckily, most of the problems are sensor glitches and don't require emergency service.

EDIT: My first car in high school was a Triumph TR6 and that car spent more time being pushed than driven so the D is like a swiss watch compared to the TR6!
Update:

90,000 miles on car now. Only issue since recall has been Ipod integration no longer working(not a diesel issue) so I have had to dust off my CD collection. I'm not as concerned with the BMW diesel motor as I am with BMW electronics! Reminds me of the stellar Lucas electronics used in MG's
Hummer H3
Audi S4
Audi A8
Toyota 4 Runner
Nissan 300ZX Turbo
Mercedes 300E
GMC Jimmy
Triumph TR6
Old 01-19-2013, 01:43 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335d
so to update - my 335D has been at the dealership 4 times since the beginning of January. Battery went bad (not a car problem), then an injector went south, then low pressure controller on the turbo went bad and last but not least, I got a DEF warning, and had to get it refilled.

The car is going back to the dealer in about a week - end of lease. So I figured it is getting a years worth of visits to the dealer in a month.
Torque - I know the highs and lows.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:27 AM

Mein Auto: POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
I wanted to update y'all on this, as I just had the SES light go on; turned out to be the SCR metering valve (part #18307807206) that injects DEF post-DPF/Catalyst. Car is at 59K.

SA at BMW Bellevue had to call/email BMWNA to figure out whether it was covered by the 7/70K (love being on the west coast, always means a day's delay because those east coast guys don't do anything until late afternoon). Turns out it is - apparently the dealer service centers don't have the "list" of everything that's covered. What a bogus system!

Anyway, the whole shebang - Diagnosis (1-2 hours), part (realoem & penske have it for $425 or so but Bellevue wanted over $500 - what's with that?), and installation ($340 !!!) all covered.

Also, when I called for an appt, the SA I talked to first swore up and down that "only cars registered in CA qualify for the 7/70K CA warranty". Boy are those guys poorly trained. I complained to BMWNA, and to the Bellevue Service manager.

Bottom line: if you're in one of the lucky 13 states, INSIST ON YOUR RIGHTS!
What are those lucky 13 states by the way if you don't mind listing them?

So it seems the EGR recall and software update may indeed fix a lot of the issues? Has BMW done a software update in the past year or so?
Old 04-12-2013, 07:06 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd929 View Post
What are those lucky 13 states by the way if you don't mind listing them?

So it seems the EGR recall and software update may indeed fix a lot of the issues? Has BMW done a software update in the past year or so?
Sigh, they're in the warranty booklet. NY is one of the 13 states in the "compact", but due to some weirdness with NY law the warranty doesn't apply there.

You did have the 3-step recall work done, right? Read the sticky at the top of the page.