Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 05-09-2012, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i sport
iPhone or blackberry

I have the app and smartphone options, currently have a torch 9810 and was looking to switch to an iPhone. Any thoughts?
Ads by Google
Old 05-09-2012, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi M Sport
Love my new Bold...but my wife loves her iphone 4s...

Email, calls, BBM vs. angry birds, facetime, apps, apps, and more apps.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:24 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535iX M Sport; 328i Wagon
Apple is the new Evil Empire. Droid FTW

Current BMW's:
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K
2011 535xi M Sport TiAg / Black, ZPP, ZP2, ZCV, ZCW, ZDA, 2TB, 6NR, 465, 5DL, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Prior BMW's
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Sport
Old 05-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Miami Heat 2012

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i
I've had the iPhone since they first came out. Haven't looked at or considered another phone since. Just kept getting the new iPhones. I love how simple it is to use, yet it can do a ton of stuff. Great apps too.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535 xi
I think Blackberry is in significant decline. In all my meetings over the past few weeks, only 2 people still had Blackberry's.

I have the iPhone 4s as a personal phone, with the appropriate cradle, and I have a Galaxy Nexus for work....both work fine in the car, but I only have music etc. on the iPhone.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: 328d Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
Apple is the new Evil Empire. Droid FTW
Between Apple and Google, I'd say Google comes out way ahead in the evil category, not that I would classify either as such. Google is the one selling every last bit of information they have on you to make a profit. Apple at least just asks you directly for the money and then leaves you alone.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: See Sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art234 View Post
I think Blackberry is in significant decline. In all my meetings over the past few weeks, only 2 people still had Blackberry's.

I have the iPhone 4s as a personal phone, with the appropriate cradle, and I have a Galaxy Nexus for work....both work fine in the car, but I only have music etc. on the iPhone.
Agree. I went from a Blackberry Bold to a Droid (HTC Incredible) last summer and have never looked back. You could not give me a Blackberry. I like the I-Phone, but when I got mine they did not have a true "global" I-Phone as I understood it. I think they do now.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:32 PM

Mein Auto: 13 F10/06-330i/11-F350
I have both, and honestly, there isn't much of a difference. Apple has all their apps in one place (droid is a company phone, so I don't buy apps for it), and in general - along with the other products I've owned from Apple - the iPhone has been pretty solid. My droid has been replaced several times due to internal failures, but overall, I've not had a bad experience with droid. That said, I now take all my calls on my iPhone as I have my droid forwarded to my apple. I have no experience with a windows phone.

I am sure there are people out there that have had bad Apple/iPhone experiences, but I will leave it to them to flesh it out.

The question is, does BMWapps allow you to switch to different phones if you switch brands (droid/iphone/windows phone). If I choose iPhone, but need to switch to a droid in a few years, will there be any problems with BMWapps? Perhaps someone else can chime in with that information.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:55 PM

Mein Auto: 535i GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehauler View Post

The question is, does BMWapps allow you to switch to different phones if you switch brands (droid/iphone/windows phone). If I choose iPhone, but need to switch to a droid in a few years, will there be any problems with BMWapps? Perhaps someone else can chime in with that information.
I have been trying to sort this out since I picked up my GT last month. As far as I can tell the BMW apps only work with IOS (iPhone). I think you can do the office stuff with a BlackBerry but I have not explored that yet. (I have all three.)

I did manage to get access to music and album art on my BB 9100 and HTC Rezound through the USB plug. Could not make it happen over BT though.

My next quest is to get access to music stored in Google's cloud (through the Play app on the Rezound) through the car. I can hear stuff that i play over BT, but i can only search for and display album art from things actually stored on the Rezound.

FWIW
DLM
Old 05-09-2012, 07:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan 550xi
I too have tried the iPhone 4/4s and the BB (only the bolds) - I ended up deciding that iPhone was not for me... I did way too may emails and the keyboard and the not having blinking lite telling me there is a message was not ideal... Yes the apps are cool etc, but they are only 'cool' if you have a use for them...

I needed an iPad for documents viewing etc, so I installed the BMW Remote app on that with an LTE sim, and the iPad covers off "all the cool apps" i'll ever need, and I had to carry it around anyways... that was my solution;

I was actually just meeting with one the Research in Motion guys today and discussing the BB10 (the next generation QNX OS phones that support Android apps) and I'm very excited about getting my hands the new one in the fall... I don't care much for the apps side of things, but from what limited sharing they could do at this point they appear to have understood that they need to wait until a product is complete before sending it out in a rush like the playbook deal... I'm told they have around 30,000 android apps available for it it. ( i have no idea of thats a good, bad or even real number as I don't have an interest in proving that right or wrong, just stating what they said)

I'm still a fan of the BB, but I can certainly see the appeal of the the iPhone to many people... to me the iPhone has it quirks I can not live with - I do almost 200 emails a day I have to send, and a do around 2000 min a month - the BB to me an an excellent platform to send emails and talk on the phone - I have no time to worry about any apps outside of those! and if I want a cool app, I use the iPad which is fantastic device if you like that size.

and I would love to say thats my 2 cents, but the Canadian Government just stopped production of the penny - so thats my nickels worth of advice!
tk
Old 05-09-2012, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i xdrive
Blackberry is a great phone, their interface is fantastic and very stable. iPhone is very dynamic with an all too familiar interface.

I think the iPhone is really one of the best smartphones available primarily because of its stability. Apple not only developed the hardware, but they made the software as well - which gives it an edge on the Android phones. I have an Android and it seems to be deteriorating in quality (stability, network connection, delays, freezing...). Sure, these things can happen on an iPhone, but I haven't heard too many complaints. My friend has had an iPhone 3 for nearly 3 years and he loves it- battery is great and he has no problem with messaging or apps.

I have an Android (HTC EVO) and I'm switching to the iPhone 4S next month. The Android really has impressive diversity in customization, but lacks in stability (IMO). I'd rather have the smaller touch screen that works the way I expect it to everytime, not to mention you can plug an iPhone into just about everything (short of a toaster).

...err a little sidetracked

If you want an all business phone, you will find it happily with a Blackberry.
If you want a business phone with some room for a bit more creativity, go with the iPhone.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:48 PM

Mein Auto: '11 X5d
(Excuse my attitude)

This is 2012. BB is done. I don't know a single person with a Blackberry these days. They are slowly becoming more irrelevant every day.

iOS and Android are the way to go these days. I was talking to the IT department where I work and the head manager was telling me that they switched at least 85% over to iOS or Android.

I had every single iPhone and when the 4S came out, I decided to jump ship to Android to get on AT&T's LTE Network here in Boston. Don't regret it. Android is great (on my Galaxy S2), but iOS is also good. They both have their advantages.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:45 AM

One thing to be aware of is that on an Android or iPhone with secure messaging like GoodLink, if you leave the synch for contact list on, it will not import to the car via Bluetooth. It took a while thanks not people here to figure that out, but otherwise I can't see why anyone would buy a Blackberry today.

Even my IT department which up until recently ONLY had BB as an approved device has gone Android/IOs.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:00 AM

My IT as well but I have been a BB user since its inception. Also with my company I can only get email through the good app. Does the iphone synce sms/email on idrive screen like BB? Also can you strean video through media cradle?(Netflix)
Old 05-10-2012, 06:05 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi
Go Android and never look back. You simply can't do any better than the Samsung Galaxy Nexus (at least until the Samsung Galaxy SIII comes out). IOS is BORING. Blackberry is like owning a piece of the Titanic. It's going down whether we like it or not. In two years it'll be as extinct as the original Motorola Razr.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:06 AM
MSport is Best Sport

Mein Auto: Subaru BRZ
BB is dying outside of corporate users forced to use them. iPhone 4s is the best smartphone going right now. A few of the Android phones are close (but many are not) if you want a non-apple solution. But the really good Android phones cost the same as the iPhone, so it makes sense just to get that IMHO.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:07 AM

I do get video through the cradle but not sure about streaming. I would assume if one works so does the other.

With regard to email, no on the iPhone because it does not have MAP protocol which wold be required to have the car read emails. I heard there is a way to do it on the Galaxy Nexus which is m work phone but I believe there is a thread for that elsewhere.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:09 AM

Is there a media cradle for androids ? Its tough to leave the BB as I'm a typing maniac on the keyboard. Not sure how touch screen would equate
Old 05-10-2012, 06:29 AM

No media adapter for Android as far as I know ..... Yet......
Old 05-10-2012, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 2011 535xi
Apple by far has the best customer service. I recently went to get my cracked screen changed thinking that I would have to pay to get it fixed. Went to the apple store in Grand Central Station in New York, they gave me a new iPhone, free of charge. They were genuinely nice and answered all my questions with ease and the process was very quick. They knew what they were doing.

**btw, my cracked screen had one line (they called it a hairline fracture), so it was replaceable free of charge. I believe if you have a shattered screen, they will charge you.**
Old 05-10-2012, 12:22 PM

Mein Auto: 535xi M Sport
I'll say this...Keep buying those iphones and ipads fellas...my kids college education is paid for ; )
Old 05-17-2012, 12:52 PM

Bought the iPhone and media cradle.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art234 View Post
I wish our COO would decide to switch all BBs to iPhone.