Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 05-14-2012, 05:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 2.0d MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
sidenote: One of the things that keeps me interested in the BMW. This website. I have had some great conversations. Some really good, and some downright abusive, but all an all interesting. I think I would miss that if I left BMW.
100% with you.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Evl, thought about that strut thing too -- but I have driven other X3's with the same horrid ride, so it wasn't the struts -- although the new struts etc do make it a crisper drive now.
LvdB, have driven the Q5 and like the interior and the way it drives, but it is a thirsty little guy in the 3.2 guise and we do not get the TDI here (yet). Would think about it if it were diesel. The other thing is Audi just does not deal on them at all here. They sell everyone they get at sticker or just barely under sticker.
AzN, I like the Jetta but it is just a tad too small for me. The Passat OTOH would be just about perfect -- especially in their new "Allroad" sort of configuration. I really like that one! Now if they would only bring it in TDI here to this market!
Ken, +1!

Last edited by UncleJ; 05-14-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:12 PM
BMW Fahrer

Mein Auto: E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
I am seriously looking now, but have moved away from the XC60 which I really liked, toward a more mileage friendly (probably diesel) replacement. If the new Passat came in a Sportwagon with a TDI I would probably get that, but it doesn't so I have to look further. The wife's A4 is ready to go too, and she wants a C300 which is fine, nice car and very solid (important!) but I need something a little more mileage friendly as I do much more driving than she does.
Check out the MINI Countryman S All4. That's what I went with after I sold the X3.

Aside from the silly name, it drives like a BMW - the old style BMW, that is. We drove the new 3 series, the new X3 and wife declined on both - too floaty and disconnected, not to mention expensive.

Until the X1 is released, the Mini is the best BMW.

adc
09 M3 Sedan ED
12 MINI Countryman S All4
93 Miata LE
Old 05-14-2012, 12:31 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Modern Line
Quote:
...have driven the Q5 and like the interior and the way it drives, but it is a thirsty little guy in the 3.2 guise and we do not get the TDI here (yet). Would think about it if it were diesel. The other thing is Audi just does not deal on them at all here. They sell everyone they get at sticker or just barely under sticker...
Have not yet driven one (Q5), but it does seem to come with a lot of impressive toys (plenty buttons and knobs ). But for a second vehicle, it's somewhat out of my league (expensive). We are lucky to have the diesel options too. Although diesel consumption on the Q5 do seem a bit high though compared to the X3 equivalents. Maybe I must test drive one just for interest sake...

Quote:
Drove one and too "Floaty". Absolutely love the interior, but not enough to give up the connected feel the X3 gives...
I was "silently" under the same impression with regards to handling but not quite sure. Maybe that's why BMW opted for the SAV abbreviation instead of SUV? I enjoyed that (connected feel) from just about all my BMW's and missing it somewhat with the Merc.

Quote:
...sidenote: One of the things that keeps me interested in the BMW. This website. I have had some great conversations. Some really good, and some downright abusive, but all an all interesting. I think I would miss that if I left BMW.
Sorry, again off topic. I have lost some touch here (Bimmerfest) since I sold the X3 for the Merc. Nothing wrong with the Merc but I miss the presence of a bimmer in the garage . I've tried a couple of MB forums since I got the Merc and no offence to them, but I did not experience the welcome that I have here since day 1 . Like I said, I think it's the posters/readers here that make this site very interesting and one of the best!

(Ps. not asking for any brownie points )

F30 328i Modern Line
E83 X3 2.0d

Retired: '07 X3 3.0d M-Sport - '04 X3 2.5i Sportpack - '99 328i E46 - '93 325i E36

Last edited by LvdB; 05-14-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:05 AM

adc, thanks for the suggestion. Have not had an English car since the old MGTF days and still remember the "Lucas, Prince of Darkness" jokes! Mini's are certainly nice now, but style wise they just don't do it for me, and they are a bit too low to fold my old stiff chassis into anymore. I need a higher seating position -- which is why I liked the SUV/SAV offerings for my last few vehicles.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:22 AM
BMW Fahrer

Mein Auto: E90 M3
Quote:
and they are a bit too low to fold my old stiff chassis into anymore. I need a higher seating position -- which is why I liked the SUV/SAV offerings for my last few vehicles.
...which is why I suggested the Countryman. It's a small SUV built by Mini.

Can't hurt you to try it...

adc
09 M3 Sedan ED
12 MINI Countryman S All4
93 Miata LE
Old 05-16-2012, 03:35 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
adc, thanks for the suggestion. Have not had an English car since the old MGTF days and still remember the "Lucas, Prince of Darkness" jokes! Mini's are certainly nice now, but style wise they just don't do it for me, and they are a bit too low to fold my old stiff chassis into anymore. I need a higher seating position -- which is why I liked the SUV/SAV offerings for my last few vehicles.
Not really an English car. it's a BMW. My wife has an MCS and she loves it. It is like they looked at BMW said we are going to do all the things they do right and not the ones they do wrong.

Sunroof is pano and works great. Never oscillates, leaks and has a nice mesh slider to keep sun glare down but fresh air in.

Sound system is very nice. Yes you heard me. She got the HK upgraded system and it really does sound good. I was very surprised as I despise most oem systems.

I would consider the countrymen if I wasn't looking for a more powerful vehicle.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 05-16-2012, 06:57 AM

Thanks guys, I will take a look at the Countryman. Not an english car? Where is it built?
Old 05-16-2012, 07:30 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
Thanks guys, I will take a look at the Countryman. Not an english car? Where is it built?
The Countryman is built in Graz, Austria by Magna Steyr.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:48 AM

Just like the old X3! Good plant, well worth a look then.