Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 05-27-2012, 10:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330i
BlackBerry PlayBook Apps

• Business & Productivity
• Social Media
• Audio & Video
• Reading & News
• Games
• Android Apps
• Travel & Leisure
• Health & Fitness
• Sports
• Kids

http://goodereader.com/apps/

http://www.playbookdaily.com/

Old 05-28-2012, 06:39 AM

Mein Auto: A car
I pity the idiots who sit in the back of a porsche 911 and have to entertain themselves with some tablet computer.

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 05-28-2012, 08:57 AM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post
I pity the idiots who sit in the back of a porsche 911 and have to entertain themselves with some tablet computer.
no normal sized adult would fit in the back seat of a 911.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:45 PM

The BlackBerry PlayBook's value proposition is compelling. The PlayBook supports up to 1080p video playback, has a 3-megapixel front-facing camera and a rear-facing 5-megapixel camera, both of which can record 1080p video. It has a 1024×600 WSVGA, 7-inch display, uses a dual-core processor, supports high resolution video and audio playback formats, and has a micro-HDMI port for HDMI video output.

In a recent review of the PlayBook with the new OS2 operating system Daniel Badar of Mobile Syrup said "..I still think at $199.99 for a 16GB version, the PlayBook is by far the best deal in the tablet space right now. For $249.99 you can get a 32GB model and for $299.99 a 64GB model, and there is no reason one should spend hundreds of dollars more on an iPad unless the app environment is a dealbreaker."

"…..current iPad is great at home," but is not "purse or jacket-pocket-friendly" like the PlayBook.

Many are passing on Apple tablet over security concerns. The US Air Force Special Operations Command recently put the purchase of several thousand iPads on hold. "We commend the U.S. Air Force for having the foresight to cancel their iPad2 order given the security concerns," said Route1 President Brian Brunetti, adding: "Mobile computing has the upside of reducing costs and increasing worker flexibility, but there are real and material risks if the appropriate diligence is not performed in establishing security protocols first."

And the Air Force is by no means alone. Last July, the German government warned that iPads had "critical weaknesses" that could be used by criminals to gain access to confidential data. And the Russian-language business news site RBC Daily said the Russian government is considering banning iPads over security concerns.

The BlackBerry Playbook and Samsung Galaxy are the only tablets to date to receive FIPS 140-2 certification, meaning they are cleared for use by U.S. government officials.

http://us.blackberry.com/business/to...ifications.jsp

Last edited by MCSL; 05-28-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:38 PM
Living a dream!

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
At least there won't be a line

Another problem is that these devices that are not Playbooks, will be toast as they will not be upgradable to OS10

Wait for the sale folks, RIM is toast

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...te-canada.html

Research In Motion Ltd. (RIMM)'s stockpiles of BlackBerry smartphones and PlayBook tablets have swollen by two-thirds in the past year because of slumping sales, raising the chances of the company's third writedown since December.

The value of RIM's in-house supplies grew 18 percent last quarter alone, a faster rate than at any other company in the industry, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. And that doesn't include the BlackBerrys gathering dust at RIM's carriers and retail partners. Apple Inc. (AAPL), meanwhile, saw its inventory decline 11 percent in the period from the previous three months.

RIM faces an exodus of customers switching to Apple's iPhone and devices running Google Inc. (GOOG)'s Android operating system. While the company is preparing to release a new lineup of phones based on the BlackBerry 10 software, the transition makes its current models even less appealing. That means RIM is more likely to record another quarterly expense next month to account for the inventory's declining value, said Neeraj Monga, an analyst at Veritas Investment Research in Toronto.
"Clearly this stuff isn't selling," said Monga, who maintains a buy recommendation on RIM's stock in anticipation of the company being sold. "Despite all the writedowns they're taking on the inventory, these inventory levels are not dropping."
Rebecca Freiburger, a spokeswoman for Waterloo, Ontario- based RIM, declined to comment.

Previous Writedowns

RIM took a $485 million pretax charge to write down the value of its PlayBook inventory in December, after shipping just 150,000 of the tablet computers in the quarter. Then in March, the company recorded a $267 million expense for BlackBerry inventory. RIM said at the time that it would stop giving sales and profit guidance because of "ongoing weakness" in the U.S. * Note: Last Quarter, Apple sold about 90, per minute

RIM's market share is plummeting. The company's piece of the global smartphone industry fell by more than half to 6.4 percent last quarter, according to research firm IDC. Android's share jumped to 59 percent, and Apple's iOS operating system accounted for 23 percent.
That's taking a toll on RIM's sales. Its revenue is projected to drop 26 percent to $3.64 billion this quarter, according to analysts' estimates compiled by Bloomberg. Net income is seen declining 72 percent to $197.5 million. RIM is scheduled to report the results on June 28.
RIM has said it aims to save $1 billion in operating costs this fiscal year by cutting its number of manufacturing sites and is "reviewing its organizational efficiency" across the company. That may lead to job cuts of 2,000 to 3,000, assuming the company will try to save 30 percent of that operating cost through labor savings, said Sameet Kanade, an analyst at Northern Securities Inc. in Toronto. That would be in addition to the 2,000 positions eliminated last summer.
RIM may cut additional jobs gradually though layoffs and attrition, according to a person familiar with RIM's plans, who spoke on condition they not be named because the cuts haven't been made public.

More Than $1 Billion
The value of the company's inventory climbed to $1.03 billion last quarter, up from $618 million a year earlier. Back in mid-2008, when the BlackBerry was still a hot seller and RIM's stock traded at an all-time high of $147.55, the figure was less than $500 million.
The inventory tally measures the cost of the phones and tablets stored in RIM warehouses around the world. It doesn't include the additional stock of devices held by retailers and carriers.
"There's their own inventory buildup and then there's the inventory with carriers and retailers," said Kanade, who recommends selling RIM shares. "It's more than likely there will be a writedown."
The stock rose 2.7 percent to $11 on May 25, the most recent day of U.S. trading. U.S. markets were closed for a holiday yesterday. RIM rose 0.4 percent to C$11.39 in Toronto yesterday. The shares have tumbled 75 percent over the past year and are down more than 90 percent from their all-time high.

New Operating System
Other mobile-phone makers that have struggled to compete with Apple and Google aren't increasing inventory at RIM's rate. Nokia Oyj (NOK1V)'s stockpiles rose less than 1 percent in value last quarter.
RIM is counting on the BlackBerry 10 lineup to revive sales. The software will improve the device's Web features and allow for new hardware designs -- both touch-screen models and devices with RIM's trademark keyboards.

The company had originally planned to release the BlackBerry 10 phones in the first quarter of 2012. Then it pushed back the introduction to the "latter part" of the year.
In the meantime, BlackBerry customers may hold off on buying older models in anticipation of the new products -- a phenomenon known as the Osborne Effect. The term stems from early personal-computer maker Osborne Computer, which filed for bankruptcy after a premature product announcement cannibalized sales of its existing lineup.
In Limbo
For now, RIM is stuck in limbo, said Colin Gillis, an analyst at BGC Partners LP in New York. There's no new product to upgrade to -- or even a release date -- and it's difficult to get customers excited about the older phones.
"Until you have a new product, there's nothing to transition to," said Gillis, who advises selling RIM's stock. "It's still very much in the early stages."

Last edited by GeneArch; 05-29-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:53 PM

BlackBerry Device Service is the component of BlackBerry Mobile Fusion used to manage BlackBerry PlayBook tablets and future BlackBerry 10 devices. BlackBerry Mobile Fusion is RIM’s new unified multi-platform MDM (mobile device management) solution for managing in market BlackBerry OS devices, BlackBerry 10 devices, and iOS and Android devices.

Why should you be excited about the launch of BlackBerry Device Service together with BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0? For those of you new to enterprise mobility, especially when it comes to BlackBerry, we’ve always had the secret sauce to enable your enterprise mobile applications to seamlessly connect to your backend application server with no need for an enterprise VPN. This secret sauce was our BlackBerry Mobile Data System (MDS), which abstracted away much of the wireless network complexities and provided an end to end, AES secure connection for enterprise application developers.

For those of you that have been long waiting for this feature, look no further as we are bringing this functionality back to BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 and future BlackBerry 10 devices. Just imagine if you were an insurance adjuster in the field and wanted an application:
• pushed to your BlackBerry PlayBook tablet
• to seamlessly upload both vehicles pictures and a brief description to your application server that resides behind your corporate firewall

Together with BlackBerry Device Service and BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0, these problems are solved! This is exactly what we have enabled both the corporate customers and enterprise developers to implement.

Although customers have long had the ability to push applications to BlackBerry users with a BlackBerry Enterprise Server, this is the first time we are introducing a user self-serve portal to manage all enterprise applications – right from BlackBerry App World. With BlackBerry Balance, enterprise applications are installed within a corporate perimeter on the device. For more information on BlackBerry Balance, be sure to read this blog post from the Inside BlackBerry Blog, and check out the BlackBerry Balance website as well.

Together, these features will protect all your resident enterprise application data within the corporate perimeter and at the same time provide a secure AES encrypted pipe to transport your data securely from behind the firewall. This is exactly why I share this excitement with all our enterprise development community today.

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2012/0...p-development/

http://fose.com/events/fose-2012/ses...ity-needs.aspx

Old 05-29-2012, 09:56 PM

BlackBerry Mobile Fusion

http://www.berryreview.com/2012/02/2...ion-explained/

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/...l_Overview.pdf

Old 05-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Living a dream!

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Dead in the water...

And that phone that Obama is holding in that pic above.... that isn't a Blackberry.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:20 AM

Mein Auto: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by HW View Post
no normal sized adult would fit in the back seat of a 911.
I'm 5'10" and no light-weight - and I fit in the back behind the passenger seat as long as it is forward enough to make room for my legs... now would I want to drive more than 10-15 minutes in the back - heck no... but that doesn't make the back seat USELESS... impractical for anything but dogs and small children, yes!

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 05-30-2012, 09:45 PM

BlackBerry PlayBook Owner:

“The PlayBook stomps on an iPad in terms of both OS and hardware for half the cost.

None of the Android tablets in the same price range even come close to having comparable hardware.

You get a unified inbox, 1080p output over HDMI, the ability to hook up a Bluetooth mouse (useful if you like to use HDMI out and an RDP client to turn it into a real workstation).

You can't do any of that with an iPad (jailbreaking doesn't count, I work in the Enterprise and we are not friendly to rooted devices), some of the Android tablets sure, but that platform has its own problems.

Add Blackberry Bridge, which is absolutely brilliant, and the ability to put it in your jacket pocket, or use it one handed and the arguments against this device all seem so insignificant...

I am a software developer by trade, been writing code for over 15 years. I've never owned a blackberry device before the PlayBook and I've always turned my nose up to BlackBerry devices in the past, but after using the PlayBook for a couple of months (and having used every major mobile and desktop OS out there) I will say that the PlayBook/QNX are now by far my favorite mobile OS.

QNX with its multitasking ability, super slick fast browser and capability to run apps programmed on five different languages (SDK, HTML5, Java, Android and Adobe) makes it a tablet to contend with.

To be fair up until recently the app selection has been fairly weak, but that has improved significantly since the OS2 launch.”

Old 05-31-2012, 06:52 AM

Mein Auto: x
You're 2 years behind... Playbook has been on clearance for a while now.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:16 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffoun View Post
You're 2 years behind... Playbook has been on clearance for a while now.
lol, and there's a good reason why. It's a pile of crap.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
lol, and there's a good reason why. It's a pile of crap.
You know what... if HP/Palm were able to come up with hardware like this (playbook/kindle fire) and slapped WebOS on it, webOS could still be alive and kicking. But again, Palm failed once for making the Pre with subpar hardware, then failed again with the tablet...

The gestures and task-management introduced in WebOS lives on and thrives in Android ice-cream sandwich, Windows Phone and even coming to Windows 8. That tells you something WebOS has done right.

Last edited by Griffoun; 05-31-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:32 PM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneArch View Post
Dead in the water...

And that phone that Obama is holding in that pic above.... that isn't a Blackberry.
that isn't obama's phone

here's romney and his choice of phone

are you surprised that he is using a flip-flopping phone?

Last edited by HW; 05-31-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW View Post
that isn't obama's phone

here's romney and his choice of phone

are you surprised that he is using a flip-flopping phone?
No

Old 06-01-2012, 10:59 PM

BlackBerry PlayBook car app

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...36150/?lang=en

http://begnor.com/my-custom-home-mad...ook-car-mount/

Old 06-02-2012, 11:09 PM

BlackBerry PlayBook

At the heart of most operating systems is something called a kernel, which handles the most important tasks, such as assigning processing power and memory space to various applications. Often, when an operating system crashes, it's because the kernel is poorly designed, either because it contains too much unnecessary code or because outside applications have too much access to it.

QNX's operating system doesn't have that problem. At the heart of the software is a “microkernal” that handles the operating system’s core tasks. Compared to most other operating systems, QNX's microkernel is small and very well-shielded from the influence of third-party applications. The small, nimble software is designed primarily to handle multiple processes and, more importantly, to be as stable as possible. Outside RIM’s PlayBook, QNX’s operating system runs in areas such as medical infrastructure and nuclear power plants, where a software crash would be catastrophic.

“The operating system kicks ass,” said Roel Vertegaal, a human-computer interaction professor at Queen’s University.

QNX's operating system for the PlayBook, dubbed Neutrino, also allows the tablet to perform true multitasking, something the iPad still can't quite pull off. Indeed, one of the reasons the PlayBook doesn't have a physical “Home” button the same way the iPad does is because users don't need to kill one application to start up another one. They can keep everything running at once.

“If you want to do more than one thing at once and you want to do it very fast – if you want to do work and play together – the PlayBook shines better than the iPad,” said Mike Abramsky, managing director of software and wireless research at RBC Dominion Securities.

QNX has been working with RIM for quite some time now to enable full multi-process hardware acceleration. QNX Neutrino OS enables deep hardware and software integration, there has been a collaboration between Texas Instruments, QNX and RIM to make this work. QNX has had SMP utilization since 1997, they were enabling dual discreet parts back then. QNX is used to scaling. The ARM Cortex-A9 Dual-core, Quad-core and further processors will enable QNX to deploy their value on the market.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:38 PM

BlackBerry PlayBook _ Made in Taiwan by Quanta

Apple iPad _ Made in China by Foxconn

http://goodereader.com/blog/tablet-s...e-copycatting/

Foxconn

Gruelling workloads, humiliating punishments and battery-farm living conditions remain routine for workers assembling Apple's iPads and iPhones, according to one of the most detailed reports yet on life inside China's Foxconn factories.

The researchers claim that intimidation, exhaustion and labor rights violations "remain the norm" for the hundreds of thousands of Chinese iPad/iPhone workers, despite Apple redoubling its efforts to improve conditions.

Interviews with 170 workers and supervisors at Foxconn factories in the cities of Shenzhen and Zhengzhou from March to May this year found that punishments remain a key management tool.

In the runup to the release of the new iPad on 16 March this year, monthly overtime work for Apple production-line workers in Longhua was 80 hours a month, it was claimed.

Apple is taking advantage of slave labor to build iPads and iPhones.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...-apple-reforms
Old 06-04-2012, 09:58 PM

There are two complaints people make about Apple. First, they are a strict gatekeeper to their store. They'll reject apps that don't follow their view of how the app should work. You have to do it their way, or go away. Second, the capabilities are somewhat limited.

One enterprise-centric developer talked to me about the inability to reliably push emergency messages out to users on iOS. He said the push environment is completely unreliable, and can't be trusted to an app that needs fast message delivery and confirmation of delivery. This is where BlackBerry shines.

One developer who admitted to pulling the plug on most BlackBerry development 18 months ago said that RIM's QNX-based BlackBerry 10 OS is "an order of magnitude" better than the other platforms on the market.

Why would he say such a thing? It comes down to the open access to the device that RIM provides, and the powerful multi-tasking OS. I was told that Dan Dodge (the man behind QNX) has promised developers they'll have access to every single API that RIM has. No more internal-only APIs. This is a huge change for RIM, and one that developers are ecstatic about.

RIM leads the market in carrier billing relationships. Customers can buy apps and have the payment tacked onto their mobile bill.

Here's a direct quote from Smarter Apps director Paul Dumais. "It's so easy to make money on BlackBerry". When asked to elaborate on this, he came back to carrier billing, and the fact that most BlackBerry users in the developed world have credit cards. They are willing to pay for apps, unlike on Android. And more importantly, there isn't a huge pile of competition in App World. So as long as you put together a good quality app, making money is easy.

RIM recently launched a program where developers can have their apps certified, giving them a "quality certified app" stamp of approval. Certified quality apps are guaranteed, by RIM, to earn the developer at least $10,000 so long as the app sales hit at least $1,000 in the first year.

http://crackberry.com/developers-spe...great-progress
Old 06-05-2012, 07:00 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i ZHP 6-sp AW
Ah the old "Even if we only get 1% of the market routine." Blackberry is dead in the water, they squandered their opportiunity years ago and will soon be the next Palm.
2004 330i ZHP 6-spd, Alpine White/Black Cube/Alcantara, Koni FSDs w/ Eibach Prokit, no CDV, M3 RTAB with Vorschlag limiters, ULO-OEM Clears, Lightwerkz TFX upgrade, Blackout Kidneys, OEM M3 Strut Brace, OEM Bluetooth retrofit, DIY Clutch Stop, Sirius, Dr. VANOS kit, iPod integration
Old 06-05-2012, 07:03 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i ZHP 6-sp AW
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSL View Post
BlackBerry PlayBook

At the heart of most operating systems is something called a kernel, which handles the most important tasks, such as assigning processing power and memory space to various applications. Often, when an operating system crashes, it's because the kernel is poorly designed, either because it contains too much unnecessary code or because outside applications have too much access to it.

QNX's operating system doesn't have that problem. At the heart of the software is a “microkernal” that handles the operating system’s core tasks. Compared to most other operating systems, QNX's microkernel is small and very well-shielded from the influence of third-party applications. The small, nimble software is designed primarily to handle multiple processes and, more importantly, to be as stable as possible. Outside RIM’s PlayBook, QNX’s operating system runs in areas such as medical infrastructure and nuclear power plants, where a software crash would be catastrophic.

“The operating system kicks ass,” said Roel Vertegaal, a human-computer interaction professor at Queen’s University.

QNX's operating system for the PlayBook, dubbed Neutrino, also allows the tablet to perform true multitasking, something the iPad still can't quite pull off. Indeed, one of the reasons the PlayBook doesn't have a physical “Home” button the same way the iPad does is because users don't need to kill one application to start up another one. They can keep everything running at once.

“If you want to do more than one thing at once and you want to do it very fast – if you want to do work and play together – the PlayBook shines better than the iPad,” said Mike Abramsky, managing director of software and wireless research at RBC Dominion Securities.

QNX has been working with RIM for quite some time now to enable full multi-process hardware acceleration. QNX Neutrino OS enables deep hardware and software integration, there has been a collaboration between Texas Instruments, QNX and RIM to make this work. QNX has had SMP utilization since 1997, they were enabling dual discreet parts back then. QNX is used to scaling. The ARM Cortex-A9 Dual-core, Quad-core and further processors will enable QNX to deploy their value on the market.

These videos are over a year old. If it hasn't happened by now for Blackberry, it's not going to.
2004 330i ZHP 6-spd, Alpine White/Black Cube/Alcantara, Koni FSDs w/ Eibach Prokit, no CDV, M3 RTAB with Vorschlag limiters, ULO-OEM Clears, Lightwerkz TFX upgrade, Blackout Kidneys, OEM M3 Strut Brace, OEM Bluetooth retrofit, DIY Clutch Stop, Sirius, Dr. VANOS kit, iPod integration
Old 06-05-2012, 10:18 PM

BlackBerry PlayBook 2.1.0 Beta for Developers Launches

There are three major enhancements to the Android™ Runtime in 2.1.0:
• Each Android app will now run in its own window. This greatly improves the user experience and consistency among the other application runtimes.
• Access to the Camera hardware is now supported for Android apps, allowing many more application types to work on the BlackBerry® PlayBook™ tablet.
• In-App Payment is now supported through the BlackBerry Payment SDK, so Android applications can include virtual items for sale in their applications.

Full device encryption is now supported, so that the whole device and personal partition can be secure. If you develop an application that deals with sensitive personal information, you may want to include a suggestion to your users that they turn this feature on. Finally, there is a minor update I noticed which developers asked for and will be well received: screenshots are now saved in lossless PNG format. That should help quite a bit when you want to promote your application and add screenshots to the BlackBerry App World™ storefront.

For those of you wandering around the rest of the BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.1 beta, you’ll notice a few extra enhancements geared towards end users such as:
• Portrait support for Email, Calendar and Contacts
• Improved folder support including IMAP folder support

The other 2.1 features will come full steam when the new OS is commercially released. The 2.1 Android SDK will be released in beta coinciding with the OS release, and the 2.1 Native SDK will be posted next week, with an update to the Adobe® AIR® SDK to come shortly after.

As with any OS update, use this beta period to test your apps now, so that they will be in full working order when the official release comes out.

Other features include portrait support for email, contacts, and calendar, proper IMAP folder support, full device encryption, improved HTML5 support, and better screenshots. RIM says that that there may be other 2.1 features that will arrive on the commercial release.

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2012/0...ok-2-1-0-beta/

Old 06-12-2012, 09:52 PM

BlackBerry PlayBook car app

Old 06-18-2012, 09:14 PM

BlackBerry PlayBook SAP app

Pete Graham, Director, Mobility, Financial Applications SAP was on hand to demo their preview app using HTML5 for the BlackBerry PlayBook. In the video, Pete not only explains how well HMTL5 works on the PlayBook but also how easy it is to then port that same app using HTML5 to various other BlackBerry smartphones due to the compatibility across the board.

http://crackberry.com/sap-labs-demos...ry-smartphones

Old 06-28-2012, 02:00 PM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSL View Post
BlackBerry PlayBook SAP app

Pete Graham, Director, Mobility, Financial Applications SAP was on hand to demo their preview app using HTML5 for the BlackBerry PlayBook. In the video, Pete not only explains how well HMTL5 works on the PlayBook but also how easy it is to then port that same app using HTML5 to various other BlackBerry smartphones due to the compatibility across the board.

[]
This ought to put an end to all that RIMM non-sesnse!!

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/rim...dist=afterbell