Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:39 AM
I Need to Speed

Mein Auto: 2007 Mineral Silver 650i
Clay Bar Question

Hey Guys,

I've gotten tons of great advice and have learned so much on this forum, thanks you. My question today is, does using a clay bar remove wax? I'm currently using all Griots products on my 650 with great results. I've been doing the clay bar treatment about every 6 months or so and each time I wonder if it removes old wax or just surface contaminents.

Thanks in advance for your opinions,

2007 Mineral Silver 650i
My daily driver
Ads by Google
Old 05-11-2012, 05:25 AM
Paint polishing expert

Mein Auto: 2011 335is
It will remove at least some of a wax, I would recommend waxing after using the claybar.

Bryan Burnworth

Mine-2011 335is SGM

Hers-12 535i GT DSMB/Cinnamon Welt 1/31/2012

Kelleners Hamburg Graphite Silver Metallic 19x8.5/9.5 Michelin PS A/S+ Gloss to the max by me.

99 740il-sold 52k-157k
94 540ia-sold 98k-155k
93 740il-sold 92k-147k
Old 05-11-2012, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: 5
^ Generally thats what you would do..wash, claybar,...Then wax...
Old 05-11-2012, 11:20 AM
I Need to Speed

Thanks for replies. I kind of thought the claybar process would remove some wax but I was not sure how much if any. Each time I clay (every 3 to 6 months) I do apply new wax (Griot's Best in Show with Griots Random Orbital) but each time I wonder if I should be doing something extra to remove any old wax. How would someone know when you should actually use a wax remover and when not to use one?

2007 Mineral Silver 650i
My daily driver
Old 05-11-2012, 11:24 AM
One Bad 3

Mein Auto: 2009 328i
In terms of wax removal it is generally accepted that before claying, if you wash with dish soap you will remove a good majority of the old wax.

Hers:
2001 X5 3.0 | Titanium Silver | Grey Dakota Leather | Premium | Activity Package| Climate Package | >200,000 miles |... and lots of repairs!
Old 05-11-2012, 05:37 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335ix, Porsche 911 Ca
Dish Soap NO Use Citrus Wash

The general consensus from the pros on this site is that you should not use Dawn Dish Soap on your Bimmer because it may damage your paint. Instead, many recommend Chemical Guys Citrus Wash. After you wash, use the clay bar.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:30 PM
I Need to Speed

Thanks Bimmernut!

I'm always worried when I try to use any product for a purpose that it was not intended for. I'm still trying to understand though when it is appropriate to use a wax remover and when it isn't. Is there a particular feature about the wax that changes? Discoloration perhaps? In the 4 plus years to weekly washing and using the spray wax and the 3 to 6 month cycle of wash, claybar and wax I have never used a wax remover of stripper on my 650. I've heard of others using wax removers regularly and I'm trying to understand how to tell when it is appropriate. In my opinion, the finish on my Bimmer looks fantastic it has a deep, rich lusture and a shine that is awesome. I must be lucky because I know I'm far from an expert but I've never use any product that claims to "remove" old wax other than the claybar and as a result this is what prompted my orginal question. Perhaps I should just leave well enought alone and not worry about it and just continue my normal weekly and quarterly routine.

2007 Mineral Silver 650i
My daily driver
Old 05-12-2012, 08:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmernut68 View Post
The general consensus from the pros on this site is that you should not use Dawn Dish Soap on your Bimmer because it may damage your paint. Instead, many recommend Chemical Guys Citrus Wash. After you wash, use the clay bar.
Not true. It wont damage the paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elandan View Post
Thanks Bimmernut!
I've heard of others using wax removers regularly and I'm trying to understand how to tell when it is appropriate.
You want to use it after the polishing stage. It removes polishing oils and preps the surface for new wax to bond to the paint surface.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:31 PM
C code: 405/3

Mein Auto: 99 Z3 M Coupe
One way to tell if there's any wax left on the surface is really easy - apply water and watch what happens.
Grab the garden hose, spray the hood or trunk and see how the water behaves on the horizontal surfaces.

If it beads up and runs off, there's still wax present.
If it hangs around in big sheets and sort of sits there like a lump of water, then you can safely assume it's all gone.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:41 AM

Mein Auto: Jaguar XKE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmernut68 View Post
“Should I use Dawn to wash my paint? “ - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ml#post1448633
Old 05-13-2012, 03:11 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
Not true. It wont damage the paint.

You want to use it after the polishing stage. It removes polishing oils and preps the surface for new wax to bond to the paint surface.
NO, TJ but dawn is murder on the rubber and plastic trim. One should never use this stuff, only stuff I use is the Chemical Guys Citrus Wash for removing LSP, etc.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:55 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
NO, TJ but dawn is murder on the rubber and plastic trim. One should never use this stuff, only stuff I use is the Chemical Guys Citrus Wash for removing LSP, etc.
Probably not good for rubber. I don't use it but I don't think using it on occasion is that big a deal. I've been using Optimum Power clean.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:33 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Probably not good for rubber. I don't use it but I don't think using it on occasion is that big a deal. I've been using Optimum Power clean.
I must acquire some
Old 05-13-2012, 09:56 PM
^^^Worst Username Ever!

Mein Auto: '01 540iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Quote:
I must acquire some
It's good stuff. Very versatile. I really like that it's paint-safe.

"The more you know, the more you don't know," Dave Chappelle
"Man is an emotional animal, occasionally rational; and through his feelings he can be deceived to his heart's content"-Durant

WTT: Black Comfort Seats for Black Sport Seats. PM for info.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: 99...540i
Clay is designed to remove surface contaminants, although wax is not that it is still on the surface and yes clay will take it all off. Clay is a process of cleaning the paint or prepping the surface for either polish or to reapply new protection.

Its Going To Cost How Much???????
Old 09-23-2012, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 528i
Yeah, another vote here for Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Clear. Dawn works too, but as others have mentioned, it's hard on rubber and plastics.