Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 05-11-2012, 05:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535i
The "corvette" wave, and why we need one.

I’ve been driving my vette for the last few days and of course you have to remember to wave at fellow corvettes. I also remember that Jeeps drivers do something similar. THEN I hear that BMW may be losing its reputation as the car driven by jackasses, and SO, I was thinking, F10 drivers should start something similar to the corvette people and at the same time, earn back that long-standing (almost heritage-worthy really) reputation!

Here’s my thought:

550 Drivers: You ignore everyone that’s not a fellow 550, unless it’s a 528, in which case you guffaw in a loud obnoxious fashion. You change lanes at will, even when you don’t need to and especially when it illegal. You’re a 550 – what do you care about blinkers.

535 M-Sport Drivers: You give a manly / womanly nod of approval to other M-Sport Drivers. You Flip-off Non-M-Sports and anyone else not driving a BMW . You do use blinkers, but only one blink, and only after your’re mid way through the lane change.

Non-M-Sport 535 Drivers: You wave at fellow non-M-Sport 535 drivers and make faces at M-Sport drivers. You flick boogers at 528s and as far as you’re concerned, 550s are a myth. You keep your blinkers on, even if you’re not changing lane….ever…in the whole journey.

528 Drivers: You tailgate 550 drivers because you know that with traffic these days, they won’t be able to pull away and it will irritate them that your less expensive 528 is still right there…on their rear bumper. You salute fellow 528 drivers and ignore the 535 drivers as 550 wanna-be’s. You still use blinkers but pay no attention to whether there’s actually an available space – other cars will move, you’re in a BMW.

5-Series GT: You stay home and ask yourself why you bought a GT. You never take that thing on the road. You don’t interact with other BMW drivers by court order.

- 2012 BMW 535i
- 1957 Chevrolet Belair
- 1966 Cadillac Deville
- 1978 Corvette
- 1979 Ford F250 w/460
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2012, 07:37 PM

Mein Auto: '12 535i Msport/'13 X5M
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imothph View Post

Here’s my thought:

550 Drivers: You ignore everyone that’s not a fellow 550, unless it’s a 528, in which case you guffaw in a loud obnoxious fashion. You change lanes at will, even when you don’t need to and especially when it illegal. You’re a 550 – what do you care about blinkers.

535 M-Sport Drivers: You give a manly / womanly nod of approval to other M-Sport Drivers. You Flip-off Non-M-Sports and anyone else not driving a BMW . You do use blinkers, but only one blink, and only after your’re mid way through the lane change.

Non-M-Sport 535 Drivers: You wave at fellow non-M-Sport 535 drivers and make faces at M-Sport drivers. You flick boogers at 528s and as far as you’re concerned, 550s are a myth. You keep your blinkers on, even if you’re not changing lane….ever…in the whole journey.

528 Drivers: You tailgate 550 drivers because you know that with traffic these days, they won’t be able to pull away and it will irritate them that your less expensive 528 is still right there…on their rear bumper. You salute fellow 528 drivers and ignore the 535 drivers as 550 wanna-be’s. You still use blinkers but pay no attention to whether there’s actually an available space – other cars will move, you’re in a BMW.

5-Series GT: You stay home and ask yourself why you bought a GT. You never take that thing on the road. You don’t interact with other BMW drivers by court order.
Hahaha, that's quite a creative interpretation of fellow F10 owners you got there LOL!

BTW, I admire your current fleet...
Old 05-11-2012, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i.
Quote:
I’ve been driving my vette for the last few days and of course you have to remember to wave at fellow corvettes. I also remember that Jeeps drivers do something similar. THEN I hear that BMW may be losing its reputation as the car driven by jackasses, and SO, I was thinking, F10 drivers should start something similar to the corvette people and at the same time, earn back that long-standing (almost heritage-worthy really) reputation!

Here’s my thought:

So 535i with sport but not m-sport are a lesser breed. I feel so humiliated.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
The problem is, there are so many non-enthusiast 5 series owners, it's ridiculous.

When I owned a Volvo R, I tried to wave and flash, and never got any response. And that car was a limited production performance vehicle.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 05-11-2012, 09:09 PM

Mein Auto: Space Grey 550i M Sport
I remember the days when we used to flash our autobahn lights once or twice when we met another BMW on the road. That was a long time ago before they became more popular and numerous on the roadways.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc1953 View Post
So 535i with sport but not m-sport are a lesser breed. I feel so humiliated.

LOL, I thought about including Non M Sport-pak cars but I couldn't think of anything fitting at the time.

- 2012 BMW 535i
- 1957 Chevrolet Belair
- 1966 Cadillac Deville
- 1978 Corvette
- 1979 Ford F250 w/460
Old 05-11-2012, 09:32 PM

Mein Auto: German
Haha, great post OP
Old 05-11-2012, 09:38 PM

Mein Auto: 09 X5 4.8
HMMMMMMMM..................
When I'm in my C4S i wave at most other 911 drivers..
When I'm in my 356 roadster, i nod appreciation to those that understand what I'm driving and acknowledge it..
When I'm driving my GT 550 M sport Dinan Stage 2, with Eisenmann exhaust with over 510 hp...with 0-60 times in the mid 4s...so until the new M5 is on the road..not much can wave and run...
I wave at M5 drivers amazed that they cut keep up either in straights or curves and when they do they are amazed... I do this while my back seat passengers are rejoicing in comfort, Front passengers are amazed and how calm125mph can feel, and how quiet and amazing the ride the GT affords them is...and me i am happy to wave at those thousands of 5 series sedan owners that all look alike as i drive by them...

oh and when I'm at home depot loading as much into my GT as i used to fit in my X5..i wave to the 5 series sedan guys renting the home depot $19.99 an hour trucks...

oh and by the way all of us GTers wave to each other because we like the old days are not just one of thousands with look alines on the road....

for the record Gt's are now the number two requested car by dealership GMs just behind 6's...

mp

2012 GT 550ix Msport clock is ticking

2015 335ix GT Msport (the wife)
09 C4S
61 356 roadster
Old 05-11-2012, 09:58 PM

Mein Auto: '12 535i Msport/'13 X5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
The problem is, there are so many non-enthusiast 5 series owners, it's ridiculous.

When I owned a Volvo R, I tried to wave and flash, and never got any response. And that car was a limited production performance vehicle.
Good point...non-enthusiasts are abundant I'm afraid; we bimmerfesters are the minority
Old 05-11-2012, 10:15 PM

Mein Auto: '11 Z4 35is
Quote:
I’ve been driving my vette for the last few days and of course you have to remember to wave at fellow corvettes.

Ya, they keep waving gold chains at each other.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpress View Post
HMMMMMMMM..................
When I'm in my C4S i wave at most other 911 drivers..
When I'm in my 356 roadster, i nod appreciation to those that understand what I'm driving and acknowledge it..
When I'm driving my GT 550 M sport Dinan Stage 2, with Eisenmann exhaust with over 510 hp...with 0-60 times in the mid 4s...so until the new M5 is on the road..not much can wave and run...
I wave at M5 drivers amazed that they cut keep up either in straights or curves and when they do they are amazed... I do this while my back seat passengers are rejoicing in comfort, Front passengers are amazed and how calm125mph can feel, and how quiet and amazing the ride the GT affords them is...and me i am happy to wave at those thousands of 5 series sedan owners that all look alike as i drive by them...

oh and when I'm at home depot loading as much into my GT as i used to fit in my X5..i wave to the 5 series sedan guys renting the home depot $19.99 an hour trucks...

oh and by the way all of us GTers wave to each other because we like the old days are not just one of thousands with look alines on the road....

for the record Gt's are now the number two requested car by dealership GMs just behind 6's...

mp
I had to pick on one of the models for the last line, no particular offense intended. I'm sure the GT is a great car with more than a few perks over the standard 5.

- 2012 BMW 535i
- 1957 Chevrolet Belair
- 1966 Cadillac Deville
- 1978 Corvette
- 1979 Ford F250 w/460
Old 05-11-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier View Post
Ya, they keep waving gold chains at each other.
Yes, but that's only when our mullets don't get in the way.

- 2012 BMW 535i
- 1957 Chevrolet Belair
- 1966 Cadillac Deville
- 1978 Corvette
- 1979 Ford F250 w/460
Old 05-11-2012, 11:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i
Quote:

Here’s my thought:

Haha, that is a good one.

As a fellow 535i non sport owner, you forgot about us.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:06 AM

Trust me it took some convincing and the release of the Dinan stage 2 to put me over the edge from a 550 sedan....but 3 months in i would never go back....5 series handling, 7 series comfort and technology, and x5 utility room.....

Quote:
I had to pick on one of the models for the last line, no particular offense intended. I'm sure the GT is a great car with more than a few perks over the standard 5.

09 C4S
61 356 roadster

Last edited by mpress; 05-12-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
I thought we did have a wave- the bird. I see it all the time, only it comes from drivers of other cars....

2015 S550 Anthracite blue, Silk, loaded and doin just fine...
2013 SL63 AMG black....
2014 GL350 The kids chariot.
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car... (gone)
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
Old 05-12-2012, 08:38 AM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Trust me it took some convincing and the release of the Dinan stage 2 to put mover the edge from a 550 sedan....but 3 months in i would never go back....%series handling, 7 series comfort and technology, and x5 utility room.....
A Dinan GT. now that is a true stealth car.

2014 BMW///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe
Old 05-12-2012, 10:22 AM

stealth,
nothing on the road like it!!!!! passport 9500ci and quad shifters all around help protect the fun....even 550i drivers are just stunned!!! The 60-100mph is just unreal and leaves people wondering....Daily commutes into Manhattan have become fun, 550s, 650s and even m3s and m5s pull up next to me when i let them and just smile and ask WTF... true BMW enthusiasts figure it out from the quad tail pipes that this GT is not stock...but most just scratch their heads...

mp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
A Dinan GT. now that is a true stealth car.

09 C4S
61 356 roadster
Old 05-12-2012, 10:55 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
stealth,
nothing on the road like it!!!!! passport 9500ci and quad shifters all around help protect the fun....even 550i drivers are just stunned!!! The 60-100mph is just unreal and leaves people wondering....Daily commutes into Manhattan have become fun, 550s, 650s and even m3s and m5s pull up next to me when i let them and just smile and ask WTF... true BMW enthusiasts figure it out from the quad tail pipes that this GT is not stock...but most just scratch their heads...

mp

Yep ...nothing like it - your GT truly is sui generis.

Last edited by Capobranco; 05-12-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:01 AM

Hey capo,

long time no see!!

For the record this is all your fault... But man would you like my gt!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capobranco View Post

09 C4S
61 356 roadster
Old 05-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
Hey capo,

long time no see!!

For the record this is all your fault... But man would you like my gt!!!!!!!!!!
my bad? - I just showed you the rabbit hole - you entered the "wonderland" of GT ownership on your volition - indeed, anyone who has a 997 C4S and a 356 in his stable can hardly be considered an innocent. Seriously, your GT truly is "mpressive" - hoping, maybe, you will show it at Bimmerfeat East this summer?

hmmm....on reflection - I'm very humbled that my passion for my former GT might have influenced anyone's opinion - especially a Porsche dude. I am really happy that you are so enthusiastic about your GT - continued good luck with the GT!

Last edited by Capobranco; 05-12-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
I've noticed that the newer breed of Corvette owners no longer wave. Kind of takes the fun out of it when you wave and get ignored.
Oh well. Time marches on.
Ash wood trim
Sport Package
Premium Package
Nav
Premium Sound/Sirius
Comfort Seats

Prior BMWs
2001 530i Sport (deceased)
Cosmos Black

Other
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5XT
1977 Corvette 383 Stroker
Old 05-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Cray

Mein Auto: Porsche Macan S / SD Pack
Quote:
Trust me it took some convincing and the release of the Dinan stage 2 to put me over the edge from a 550 sedan....but 3 months in i would never go back....5 series handling, 7 series comfort and technology, and x5 utility room.....
.... Germanized Aztek styling.

Sorry, had to. I know GT drivers are a defensive bunch.

O/P post had me laughing.
2015 Porsche Macan S / SportDesign: White/Black (Alcantara/Leather), PDK, 20" RS Spyder's w/ Colored Crests & Summer Tires, Air Suspension w/ PASM, High-Gloss Black Trim, Premium Package, Comfort Lighting, HD Radio, Blacked Out Sidemarkers, Front Tints.

Recents: '13 BMW 535i M Sport: Black/Black, Premium/Tech, Sport Auto, etc. M-B's: '11/10/06 E350 "Sport". '02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Last edited by K-A; 05-13-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:38 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
...Sorry, had to. I know GT drivers are a defensive bunch.

O/P post had me laughing.
Sorry, had to. I know MB drivers are a defensive bunch.

...... Found a Pic of a "similar" car...., uncropped

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TAXImb.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	324936  

Last edited by Capobranco; 05-13-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:56 PM

Hey KA,
My father drives used to drive a MB 350... Then for a short the a MB E550, now HE DRIVES AN S63.........

AT 85 HE LOOKS DAMN GOOD IN IT......

ALL HIS FRIENDS DRIVE MB'S TOO......

ALTHOUGH CAPO'S RIGHT THOSE MB'S MAKE GREAT TAXIS

ILL TAKE MY GT....AND WE ARE NOT DEFENSIVE...WE ARE CONFIDENT AND INDIVDUALS!

MP

09 C4S
61 356 roadster

Last edited by mpress; 05-13-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:39 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpress

Adding Dinan S2 to the 550 reduces 0-60 to high three second range. Some of our F10s are actually programmed to go beyond S2 performance. So, hopefully there aren't too many of those overly confident individuals with mid four second cars getting in our way before we show them our taillights.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)