Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 05-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 328i
Accident!!!! Alert

I saw something new on my dashboard today...

I was driving along, minding my own business when a warning icon in yellow popped up on the lower right side. It was diamond shaped and looked like a car next to a gas pump or maybe a toll booth. After a few seconds the word "Accident!!!" showed up as well.

Although I'd not had an accident and the car was fine, I exited the freeway and the warning went off. When I got back on the warning didn't show up again.

It occurred to me that it was some sort of traffic warning as I had a destination set on my NAV.

But there was no accident visible more was there anything marked on the map.

The manual showed nothing of the sort, nor did a search of this forum.

So, what was it? Has anybody seen this warning?

2014 328i, Mineral Gray, Msport, Premium, Technology, Lighting, Driver Assistance.
Retired:
'11 F10 535i
'08 E60 535i
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2012, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto: German
Were you using the NAV with traffic on? Maybe there was an accident on the road you were going on.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:07 PM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
I've experienced this with my 7. In my case there was an accident on the highway several miles ahead. I liked that I was alerted and prepared and was given sufficient warning to alter my route. Great feature IMO.

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 05-12-2012, 09:19 PM

Mein Auto: '14 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslierc View Post
I've experienced this with my 7. In my case there was an accident on the highway several miles ahead. I liked that I was alerted and prepared and was given sufficient warning to alter my route. Great feature IMO.
That's what I thought... but there wasn't an accident.

Better a false alarm than missing something important, I guess.

2014 328i, Mineral Gray, Msport, Premium, Technology, Lighting, Driver Assistance.
Retired:
'11 F10 535i
'08 E60 535i
Old 05-13-2012, 05:53 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevej2001 View Post
That's what I thought... but there wasn't an accident.

Better a false alarm than missing something important, I guess.
Maybe there had been an accident somewhere along your route, not far ahead. I sometimes get that diamond with "Traffic Jam" shown, and sure enough, in a mile or so, very bad traffic. This occurs in "special" cases, even when the normal traffic indicators are shown on the nav map. I think it's an extra alert so if you don't have the nav screen up, you'll still see an alert. There are so many features in our cars that some people never know about, it's amazing to me the thinking that went into it.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 05-13-2012, 06:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 528i
Some of us out here on the East coast are not getting fresh updates - this could be the case where you live as well.

Seems to have started on Thursday. The big tip off was on Friday morning when there seemed to be no traffic anywhere in NYC during rush hour, and the incidents I saw on Thurs night seemed to still be on my screen.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i xdrive
I get tied up in slow traffic fairly often on my freeway commute but don't recall seeing this. I'm interested in hearing more. Is there a setting I need to adjust? Normally I don't have nav on when I commute.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:01 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadzer View Post
I get tied up in slow traffic fairly often on my freeway commute but don't recall seeing this. I'm interested in hearing more. Is there a setting I need to adjust? Normally I don't have nav on when I commute.
Do you mean the yellow triangle? I think I've only noticed it when guidance is engaged, and then, only in a few "extra" bad conditions -- not all the time. I don't think there's any special adjustment for this.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 05-13-2012, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 535xi
I have seen this once in a year. It warned of dangerous conditions ahead (it was a foggy morning and the roads were slushy). Seems like a good feature, but it is a mystery when it works - I'm not sure where it comes from, when, why. If it was consistent, I would see this weekly based on all the traffic issues encountered. The Lincoln Tunnel could be closed due to a truck accident, traffic backed up for 2 miles, and not a peep out of this feature.

2011 535xi - Black Sapphire, Venetian Beige

2008 535xi - Monaco Blue, Natural Brown Leather
Old 05-13-2012, 05:18 PM

I have seen this many times. When you have the nav guidance activated and there is an accident along your route, the icon will appear on the dash as well as an icon and message on the nav display as you approach the accident. This info comes from the traffic information service, so sometimes there is no actual accident if you get there after the clean up and the info hasn't been updated. I have also had it come up with an "object on roadway" message, indicating debris along my route.

535i - DGII, Black Dakota, Multi-Contour Seats, Fold Down Seats, Ski Bag, PP1, PDC, Rear-View Camera, Nav, BMW apps.