Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:49 AM

Mein Auto: 128i
Cert 128i, Diagnostic Question

3 weeks into my first Bim. 2008 128i. This car is amazing, I am very happy with my purchase.

Just a quick question - I ran a "Service Info" request on the computer yesterday. In RED was the symbol for Brake Fluid. Is this red-flag generated based on the vehicle's mileage (which makes sense at the current odometer reading), or is this based on a reading of the fluid level/quality?

Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 05-14-2012, 01:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 128i convertible
I believe the service interval for brake fluid is replacement every two years. It would seem like you could be at the second 2 year service interval for brake fluid now. Page 118 of my 2009 vert manual discusses what there are service reminders for. Older brake fluid may contain more moisture which can lead to corrosion issues in the brakes and worse stopping performance, especially if you have to brake hard or repeatedly. My 2006 SUV still has the original brake fluid, however, with no obvious ill effect. I would change it or have it changed but I don't think its a "drop everything" situation.

There is also a warning for brake fluid level discussed on page 138 of my manual. It is supposed to be red and indicates low level of fluid. This should come up without you using the turn stalk to investigate the service interval data. It sounds like you were checking service intervals when you saw this but if it just came up without you checking, it could be the level. You do not want air to get into the system. It doesn't come out easily and will more drastically affect braking. I'd check level before driving again if you think it could be this.

Jim
Old 05-14-2012, 01:11 PM

Mein Auto: 128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD1 View Post
I believe the service interval for brake fluid is replacement every two years.

This should come up without you using the turn stalk to investigate the service interval data. It sounds like you were checking service intervals when you saw this but if it just came up without you checking, it could be the level. You do not want air to get into the system. It doesn't come out easily and will more drastically affect braking. I'd check level before driving again if you think it could be this.

Jim
Correct - I was using the stalk to check my specs (as i typically do at every gas fill). I don't think it's critical as you said, but I've spoken to my dealer and they said the car has just hit the 2 year mark since their last brake fluid change. So the red flag was triggered by the calendar, not the mileage or fluid level.

Still ain't driving anywhere without hitting the bmw garage first

thanks again