Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 05-15-2012, 06:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: German
Tasman Green is a pretty ugly color. I had a loaner E90 with it once.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:59 PM

Mein Auto: 335d
I'll sell you my 2010 d, titantium silver/black, sport, logic7, premium, winter package with the CPO and extended warranties. It even has paddle shifters. For the right price.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:50 PM

Mein Auto: 09 MCS Cabrio, 2012 328i
I considered all 3 of those cars. Weatherford also has (or recently had) 2 Ocean Blue d's in stock. They will not come down a penny on their cars. And the "internet" department is a joke - a very young guy who seems to report to the regular floor manager. He had no clout whatsoever.

As I shopped I observed the market is flooded with diesels right now. Many new ones aging on lots as they are passed over for F30's, many loaners now being sold, and others now coming off lease. I was a happy shopper! The guy who owned mine bought it while he waited for his special order F30.

I originally wanted the Sports pkg and nothing more. I think the sports pkg will always be rare, unique, and desirable on a 335d. But ultimately, I came to grips I just didn't want it after living with it for several years. After 600 miles this weekend, my backside tells me I chose correctly.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
The Sports package is rare on a 335d? Seems like most of the users on here all have it.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe335d View Post
ufcrules1,

Funny you find those particular cars - have been in touch with the first dealership where the first two cars are. Helpful guy on the phone - but some pretty harsh words about the dealership on Yelp.com from a number of folks.

The last car is the only green - er, sorry "Tasman" car that has come up in my searching. (Don't think I've ever seen one in person.) Also one of the few grey interiors, let alone a grey sport interior. The grey might the worst of both worlds re interior colors - light colored seats, but also light carpeting and trim. That's not to say that I would disqualify it <grin>. Almost half the warranty is up, which is a little worse than ideal.

It is a nice car.
Yeah, I just did a brief search to try and help out. Sounds like you are on top of your searches though. Just hold out until you find the perfect one. I waited like a month and a half before I found mine and thought I was going to lose it. You may want to give the guy a call at Autobahn West..(619.885.7789) he goes to auctions every weekend and buying a car from him is such an easy experience. He also doesn't charge a processing fee like the BMW dealerships. Last dealership I talked to said they had a $600 fee. Screw that! Anyway, just be as patient as possible.. the wait is well worth it.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donjhen View Post

I originally wanted the Sports pkg and nothing more. I think the sports pkg will always be rare, unique, and desirable on a 335d. But ultimately, I came to grips I just didn't want it after living with it for several years. After 600 miles this weekend, my backside tells me I chose correctly.
Sounds like you "settled" for the non sports package. I'm glad your backside likes it.. because I can't go 10 miles in the non sport package without hating those seats. It's odd for me because I feel that the sport package seats are 10x's more comfortable than the non sports seats.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:12 AM

Sport in a d is a must. The torque makes the extra handling much more worthwhile. Keep looking. I honestly don't know that there's a single car on the market, by any brand, that I want more than my d. And I've looked! I have frequent car wanderlust. :o
Old 05-16-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Sport in a d is a must. The torque makes the extra handling much more worthwhile. Keep looking. I honestly don't know that there's a single car on the market, by any brand, that I want more than my d. And I've looked! I have frequent car wanderlust. :o
Same here. I've never loved a car like this one. I smile every time I grab my keys.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
Same here. I've never loved a car like this one. I smile every time I grab my keys.
My only complaint is that I don't get to drive enough! This weekend, I went camping with my family (wife and 2 kids) and there just wasn't enough room in it to fit our gear. I would have loved to drive it up the mountains. Instead, I had to drive my wife's CR-V. While a very comfy car to drive, it's not my d.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:03 AM

I work from home.. so I too don't get to drive it enough. Heading down to Austin, TX in June for vacation... which is a 3 hour drive. I can't wait.. and it will be cool to see the MPG I get.

One of my only complaints is the windshield wipers... they suck and the fluid gets all over the car. Other than that.. I'm cool.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: 09 MCS Cabrio, 2012 328i
Yes, I "settled" for a non-sports. After having had a 2006 330i for a few years I just didn't want it this time around. The seats just weren't comfortable for me (and I'm slim) and I tired of feeling each expansion joint. Old fart at 53 now, maybe that's what changed.

Did get pulled over doing 100 in Arizona...cop only wrote me up for 75! Nice guy, he was more interested in talking about the car.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 MINI JCW Countryman
Curious as to your dislike of the Sport option - do you think it's the shape of the seats or is it the stiffness of the suspension with the sport tires that are to blame?

I'm an older fart - 54, let's say "not slim" - and am still leaning towards the sport package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donjhen View Post
Yes, I "settled" for a non-sports. After having had a 2006 330i for a few years I just didn't want it this time around. The seats just weren't comfortable for me (and I'm slim) and I tired of feeling each expansion joint. Old fart at 53 now, maybe that's what changed.

Did get pulled over doing 100 in Arizona...cop only wrote me up for 75! Nice guy, he was more interested in talking about the car.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:15 AM

Sorry Don.. I read your original post wrong. It sounds like you didn't want the upgraded suspension.. you wanted a more quiet, less bumpy, old guy feel. haha. I test drove both non sport and sport and felt the sport seats where much more comfortable. With that said, the steering was tighter and so was the suspension so you do feel the road a little more, although I love that feel but I'm also 20 years your junior.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335d M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
My only complaint is that I don't get to drive enough! This weekend, I went camping with my family (wife and 2 kids) and there just wasn't enough room in it to fit our gear. I would have loved to drive it up the mountains. Instead, I had to drive my wife's CR-V. While a very comfy car to drive, it's not my d.
I've enjoyed putting 3,200 miles on my new M Sport 'd in the first month. Had 16 miles on it when I took delivery in April. Aside from my normal daily driving around Houston, I drove it 400 miles round trip to Austin, and a 650 mile round trip to Baton Rouge. The Baton Rouge trip was about 5 hours each way, there one day and home the next...have to admit I felt a little butt hurt at the end of that trip. But I was still grinning ear to ear. When I wanted neck snapping torque it was there in spades, and just for grins I managed to keep it between 65 and 70 for about 180 miles on the way back...over that stretch was getting 43 MPG according to the computer. The performance when you want it, and the crazy MPG economy when you can resist the temptation to torque...indeed intoxicating. Never had a car like it.

The Harmon Kardon sound system on the 2011 is awesome too.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:13 PM

Mein Auto: 335d & STi
You guys that have spent time searching around and seeing whats out there. What would you say my car would sell for?
'10 335d 39k miles
Montego Blue / Oyster / Aluminum
Sport / Prem / Nav / paddles / rear shades / pdc / prem audio / auto hibeam / comfort access / fold down rear seats / heated front seats / ipod / anti-theft /
19" BMW Performance 313 Wheels, black grilles, interface kit with backup camera
dent and swirl free exterior with front clear bra
Old 05-18-2012, 02:47 AM
hang up and drive!

You need to deal with Maybe335D, he's hard up for a D with Heated Seats!

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Old 05-18-2012, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjack View Post
I've enjoyed putting 3,200 miles on my new M Sport 'd in the first month. Had 16 miles on it when I took delivery in April. Aside from my normal daily driving around Houston, I drove it 400 miles round trip to Austin, and a 650 mile round trip to Baton Rouge. The Baton Rouge trip was about 5 hours each way, there one day and home the next...have to admit I felt a little butt hurt at the end of that trip. But I was still grinning ear to ear. When I wanted neck snapping torque it was there in spades, and just for grins I managed to keep it between 65 and 70 for about 180 miles on the way back...over that stretch was getting 43 MPG according to the computer. The performance when you want it, and the crazy MPG economy when you can resist the temptation to torque...indeed intoxicating. Never had a car like it.

The Harmon Kardon sound system on the 2011 is awesome too.
Baton Rouge trip in 5 hours? You must been that 335d I passed when I was hauling a truck load of MBZ parts because I did the round trip in 10 hours but that included all the time to load the truck
Old 05-18-2012, 05:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingman View Post
Trim appears to be black, steering wheel is the sport wheel, I don't see the paddle shifters but know they were changed to buttons in 2011, so assume they are the ones on either the left or the right, or both. 18" 195 wheels should also be Sport.

I have the heated seats in my Tahoe. Use that option plenty down here! Right.

The car actually warms up very quickly, I think it has some sort of electric heating to get it up to temp quicker in order to meet exhaust emissions. Recall reading something about that on here.

Buy it already!
My 2011 has paddle shifters. I live in south Houston and still enjoy my heated seats. I'm a cool weather person [honestly don't know why i haven't moved to Colorado yet] but sometimes my back gets sore and the heater is great for my back. Girlfriend gets cold easily even for our lame winters here and likes the heated seat on her tush.

Car engine doesn't actually warm up faster. Manual says diesel engines are more thermally efficient and thus have less waste heat. This means it takes longer to warm up. To compensate for this, there is an electric heating element in the HVAC system that warms the air while engine is cool. It is near instant heat like you say but for a different reason.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:42 AM

I must be a hot weather person. My previous two Mercedes and previous truck all had heated seats and I never used them except when I'd accidentally engage them on the truck and wonder why my bum was on fire.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
Baton Rouge trip in 5 hours? You must been that 335d I passed when I was hauling a truck load of MBZ parts because I did the round trip in 10 hours but that included all the time to load the truck
Heh, that was with two stops, one to grab a burger (NOT eating in the car yet) and one for getting pulled over because the trooper thought my window tint was too dark (it is).

But the funniest thing on that trip was when I used the SOS button to call the BMW concierge for an address, something in the data transfer fouled up and got rebooted the system before the voice connection was made, so the concierge, getting an SOS signal and unable to communicate with me the driver, called the state police and put out an APB on the car. Luckily, I got that all straightened out before anything more "interesting" happened with the authorities.

Lesson learned: use iDrive to call concierge, not SOS button.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
I must be a hot weather person. My previous two Mercedes and previous truck all had heated seats and I never used them except when I'd accidentally engage them on the truck and wonder why my bum was on fire.
I do miss the ventilated seats in the Acura I traded in on the d, those things actually helped in the summer heat.

I'm with you on the heated seats though, about 5 minutes of seat heat is all I can take. But different strokes...it's the "settling" that should be avoided IMO.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:31 AM

I am glad I have the NON sport edition my ass and back would of killed me. I had an 02 MCS and retrofitted it with Koni FSDs and the car ran after that Like a Cadillac, I have purchased the FSds for the "D" and should install them in the upcoming weeks, will keep you posted. BTW I live in Puerto Rico and it is a must to have NON sport suspension, otherwise you will pay with ass!! LOL though the cars with sport look SUAVE I can imagine what th owners feel about it.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel61 View Post
I am glad I have the NON sport edition my ass and back would of killed me. I had an 02 MCS and retrofitted it with Koni FSDs and the car ran after that Like a Cadillac, I have purchased the FSds for the "D" and should install them in the upcoming weeks, will keep you posted. BTW I live in Puerto Rico and it is a must to have NON sport suspension, otherwise you will pay with ass!! LOL though the cars with sport look SUAVE I can imagine what th owners feel about it.
Yeah, you live in an area that has terrible roads. I would guess if you had decent roads you would have bought a sport.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:50 AM

I live in an area with terrible roads and had I had a choice then I'd gotten a sports package still. But after being on these forums since then, I doubt I'd buy one even though I really like the looks of the 335d with the M-Sport.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:12 AM

So did OP get his 335d? No updates??

335d Black Sapphire/Biege/Premium/Sport/Cold/Nav/CA/PDC/iPod